Already a problem with Remaster!!!

General Discussion
08/14/2017 12:15 PMPosted by GayVulture
What the hell is this? "Real Time Lighting" requires 2.2gb VRAM!? My GPU has maximum of 2gbs and is capable of using advanced lighting in other games and you're telling me StarCraft Remaster needs minimum of 2.2gbs vram when the game right now is only using 900mbs ... I hope this is a mistake because sorry I may not know anything about graphics coding but for a 2D game to demand 2.2gbs for post processing effects seems a bit extreme to me.

Looks like you need more VRAM. GTX 1060 6GB will be more than enough to store more textures.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=gtx+1060&N=-1&isNodeId=1
Greyed out for me too and i have a radeon r9 270x .. that card should be able to handle starcraft lol
Greyed out for me too... I've got 4gb.

I hope people know the difference between ram and vram though. =x

Anyone get it to work in maybe fullscreen, windowed, or other options turned off, etc?
I have 2 GB dedicated VRAM but another 3GB shared. I don't think that shared VRAM would slow down this game ... cmon Blizzard. Just let the player decide wheter or not he is able to run that option ...
Honestly, I really think that instead of the option being greyed out, it just gave you a warning that it might break everything when enabled with a GPU with less than 2.2 gigs of VRAM.

It could cause the game to crash, but its more likely that the extra assets will just be shunted into regular RAM, which will slow down load times and will probably cause bad stuttering, but it's better than nothing at all.

oh, and cards with 2GB of VRAM would probably run it pretty ok, because rarely is every single asset in the game loaded into VRAM.
08/14/2017 12:20 PMPosted by LaidOffGamer
memory amount is determined by the lighting bump maps size which is 1 for 1 to the texture size. lighting also requires normal maps which are also 1 for 1 to the texture size.

so for each texture you require 2x additional information for proper lighting rendering, 2.2 gb for ~700mb worth of texture files is what it is

2gb gpu cards have been on the lowest end of components now for 5 years

no they wasnt

my pc is 5 years old and it was a 1000€ pc and the graphic card has 1280 MB
so it may be last 3 years but not last 5 for sure
memory amount is determined by the lighting bump maps size which is 1 for 1 to the texture size. lighting also requires normal maps which are also 1 for 1 to the texture size.

so for each texture you require 2x additional information for proper lighting rendering, 2.2 gb for ~700mb worth of texture files is what it is

Don't talk nonsense; I have a 2 year old GTX 960 with 2GB ram and it runs Star Citizen of all games at decent settings.
I have 3gb vram and it work perfectly with all options on. R9 280x.
This might be a bug.
What I would like to point out is that on the game page in the store requirements say 512MB recommended. I dont seem to recall anyone at Blizzard saying anything different. Especially not a seemingly random amount such as 2.2 GB that locks out all the cards that have 2GB flat.
I have an R9 380 with 4 GB of video RAM, and it's greyed out for me, so that seems like a bug at least.
i have AMD 12th 7gen with an Radeon R7, and is not allowing to use dynamic lights

wtf
In this thread: People who don't know what VRAM does, complaining "But I can run the latest codblops on high!". Like complaining that your car can't hold eight people "But I've driven it at 120 mph!"
Real Time Lighting makes the remaster look so bad, look at scvs they're like all charred and look like ash.

But it's a 2d game, and this one setting is just a texture change.
I have gtx 960 with 2048 mb of ram and i cant turn on something of 2.2gb of ram? ONLY FOR FEW MB´S T_T (real time lighting)

PLEASE BLIZZARD FIX !!!
Should be at least tied to your resolution. I mean if you run it at 720p, it should scale down right? Something is wrong if 2.2GB is required from 720p all the way to 4k.
I could understand requiring that much to run it on 4k, but not on 1080p or lower lol.
If anyone on PC and Mac whose graphics are fine could post a benchmark on how much it actually uses - that would be much appreciated. I'm curious what the real-world numbers are out here.
08/16/2017 08:59 AMPosted by DannY
If anyone on PC and Mac whose graphics are fine could post a benchmark on how much it actually uses - that would be much appreciated. I'm curious what the real-world numbers are out here.

It's not a benchmark, but it show what it is using without real time lightning.

i5-2320 3Ghz
Asus Ge-Force GTX 760 DirectCU II OC 2GBs
16Gbs of 1333mhz Ram

Here (it's the same even with the map entirely visible with black sheep wall)
https://imghost.io/image/PyyXm

If anyone can show a pic of what they get with Real time lightning, could be a start.

PS: Dont mind the cpu temp.... It's due for a clean up and probably change the stock thermal paste since i'Ve been having this pc for 5 years already lol.
08/15/2017 09:08 PMPosted by NDR

But it's a 2d game, and this one setting is just a texture change.

awesome, you guys are so on top of it here:
http://www.snakehillgames.com/spritelamp/

make it happen and see how much vram it uses