Explaining Bonjour

General Discussion
As someone in the networking field, it's upsetting to see the amount of users throwing a fit over Bonjour.

Yes, it's by Apple.
No, it's not crapware. It's a protocol and it's like 50kb. It comes with StarCraft, you do not have to install it. Only enable it.

Bonjour is Apple's implementation of zero-configuration networking (zeroconf), a group of technologies that includes service discovery, address assignment, and hostname resolution. Bonjour locates devices such as printers, other computers, and the services that those devices offer on a local network using multicast Domain Name System (mDNS) service records.

Bonjour was most likely implemented to help avoid the legacy hardware issues that come with long standing games like StarCraft, making a hardware compatibility issue much easier to work with.
09/06/2017 05:44 AMPosted by NotGayDragon
As someone in the networking field, it's upsetting to see the amount of users throwing a fit over Bonjour.

Yes, it's by Apple.
No, it's not crapware. It's a protocol and it's like 50kb. It comes with StarCraft, you do not have to install it. Only enable it.

Bonjour is Apple's implementation of zero-configuration networking (zeroconf), a group of technologies that includes service discovery, address assignment, and hostname resolution. Bonjour locates devices such as printers, other computers, and the services that those devices offer on a local network using multicast Domain Name System (mDNS) service records.

Bonjour was most likely implemented to help avoid the legacy hardware issues that come with long standing games like StarCraft, making a hardware compatibility issue much easier to work with.

In simple words... Modern coding Netwrok Libraries are not meant for building LAN support, easily said, LAN is almost a lost art. Dont get me wrong, there are millon technicians able to make a LAN driver work, BUT that is where Bonjour comes, is an easy way to "BRIDGE" network sockets, ports etc... to LAN wihouth having to make LAN modules.

Bonjour is FREE, so anyone trying to give LAN support for his program can go learn Bonjour and implement it in its own code.

Bonjour being from Apple & Blizzard using it is something well... really not important, it might create some sort of how to say it... "unease" in people that have enocuntered Bojour before, because Bonjour specialy 2012-2015 implementation was NOT SAFE, and a lot of BAD IMAGE was given to Bonjour. The software itself is not a virus or anything, is the use some people have done with it, let me explain.

In classic LAN (1987-2005) you connected yourself to a Router/switch WITH AN EHTERNET CABLE, and simply enough computers will recognize trough Windows Services and poeple would play over that paricular network. But in LAN now can also be played online in private networks, so lets say, you have a VPN (Virtual private Network), which is jsut a server you get to "emulate" a Network you can connect to over the internet, so someone from INDIA does NOT has to have a long LAN cable to the US, but they "emulate" a LAN connection over the internet.

This is where Bonjour comes around handy.

You guys might remember a software called HAMACHI which was used by starcraft, Counter Strike players etc.. to "Emulate LAN", well Bonjour lets you do that and its free!!. In other words, Blizzard instead of "reinventing the whell" on a modern LAN service for theire games, they well just use Bonjour wich is a FREE framework/API.

So how do hacker use Bonjour?, well, in a LOT of BUndle software, torrents, "freedownload.com" software etc, you will notice that a BONJOUR service is running in the taks manager, sometimes this is Bonjour, but some other times is a custom version of Bonjour made by peole that want you to connect to a private network for some reason. Enough said, Bonjour has growned enough to be called SAFE, and the BONJOUR installed by Blizzard is perfectly safe.

IN OTHER WORDS!!! WHY DOES BLIZZARD USE AN APPLE SOFTWARE??

• Because there is no reason to invent the Whell again (LAN HOOK zeroconf SERVICE)
  • Becasue it uses Services already running natively on all modern computer, such as mDNS
  • Bonjour is so efficient that when connected you dont have to "CHANGE IP" softwarte will just recognize, and even jump above regular firewalls and "prompt" you if computers cant talk, old LAN would not tell you NOTHING
  • ITS FREE and OPEN SOURCE
  • Because Bonjour is LIGHT and runs away from Remastered Threads/Processes, so if it crashes, it wont afect Starcraft main Process
  • YOUR ARE BLOCKED BY LOCAL UNIVERSITY ETC??? YOU CAN USE BONJOUR TO CONNECT TO SOMEONE ELSE VIA LAN USING PORT 8080, 80 ETC !!! JUST CONNECT TO A VPN
  • 09/06/2017 06:35 AMPosted by hyfrehyfre

Yes, it's by Apple.

In simple words... Modern coding Netwrok Libraries are not meant for building LAN support, easily said, LAN is almost a lost art. Dont get me wrong, there are millon technicians able to make a LAN driver work, BUT that is where Bonjour comes, is an easy way to "BRIDGE" network sockets, ports etc... to LAN wihouth having to make LAN modules.

Bonjour is FREE, so anyone trying to give LAN support for his program can go learn Bonjour and implement it in its own code.

Bonjour being from Apple & Blizzard using it is something well... really not important, it might create some sort of how to say it... "unease" in people that have enocuntered Bojour before, because Bonjour specialy 2012-2015 implementation was NOT SAFE, and a lot of BAD IMAGE was given to Bonjour. The software itself is not a virus or anything, is the use some people have done with it, let me explain.

In classic LAN (1987-2005) you connected yourself to a Router/switch WITH AN EHTERNET CABLE, and simply enough computers will recognize trough Windows Services and poeple would play over that paricular network. But in LAN now can also be played online in private networks, so lets say, you have a VPN (Virtual private Network), which is jsut a server you get to "emulate" a Network you can connect to over the internet, so someone from INDIA does NOT has to have a long LAN cable to the US, but they "emulate" a LAN connection over the internet.

This is where Bonjour comes around handy.

You guys might remember a software called HAMACHI which was used by starcraft, Counter Strike players etc.. to "Emulate LAN", well Bonjour lets you do that and its free!!. In other words, Blizzard instead of "reinventing the whell" on a modern LAN service for theire games, they well just use Bonjour wich is a FREE framework/API.

So how do hacker use Bonjour?, well, in a LOT of BUndle software, torrents, "freedownload.com" software etc, you will notice that a BONJOUR service is running in the taks manager, sometimes this is Bonjour, but some other times is a custom version of Bonjour made by peole that want you to connect to a private network for some reason. Enough said, Bonjour has growned enough to be called SAFE, and the BONJOUR installed by Blizzard is perfectly safe.

IN OTHER WORDS!!! WHY DOES BLIZZARD USE AN APPLE SOFTWARE??

• Because there is no reason to invent the Whell again (LAN HOOK zeroconf SERVICE)
  • Becasue it uses Services already running natively on all modern computer, such as mDNS
  • Bonjour is so efficient that when connected you dont have to "CHANGE IP" softwarte will just recognize, and even jump above regular firewalls and "prompt" you if computers cant talk, old LAN would not tell you NOTHING
  • ITS FREE and OPEN SOURCE
  • Because Bonjour is LIGHT and runs away from Remastered Threads/Processes, so if it crashes, it wont afect Starcraft main Process
  • YOUR ARE BLOCKED BY LOCAL UNIVERSITY ETC??? YOU CAN USE BONJOUR TO CONNECT TO SOMEONE ELSE VIA LAN USING PORT 8080, 80 ETC !!! JUST CONNECT TO A VPN

• In simple words, apple is garbage.

Edit: Wow apple fanboys can't take a joke.
    You sold me already, so it's basically Blizzard allowing LAN parties without even being physically connected to the same network and playing with friends outside of Battle.net if they wish so and know how?
    09/06/2017 07:16 AMPosted by Garn
    You sold me already, so it's basically Blizzard allowing LAN parties without even being physically connected to the same network and playing with friends outside of Battle.net if they wish so and know how?

YES modern networks implementation allow peole from all over the world to "emulate" that they are in a local network, like with hamachi several years ago.

ALSO, when connecting printers, scaners in a network ebfore you had to configure them manually, install drivers, some of them had to have IP... etc, but NOW, you can arguably connect to a PRINTER in the other side of the world and see it in your "network folder" in windows... just as if it was in the same room.

People that PLAY LAN they dont have to be connected over ethernet today, HEY it is still the fast way posible to play, but starcraft tournamets for instance they are played over ETHERNET cable, they are secure, "faster", but today VirtualLan services are arguably as fast and stable as Ethernet...

In other words, is just the wonr LAN being used for modern VPN networks.
    09/06/2017 07:11 AMPosted by Pindrought

In simple words, apple is garbage.

Edit: Wow apple fanboys can't take a joke.

I am probably the most anti apple person, yet I gave you a dislike because you deserved it.
    Modern modems don't play well with UDP LAN, simple as that :/
    09/06/2017 10:54 AMPosted by NotGayDragon
    Modern modems don't play well with UDP LAN, simple as that :/

You're a gay dragon.
    Why is this topic so controvertial and so heavily downvote-upvote sensitive?

Okay, Blizzard should've said that Updated LAN play will involve Bonjour support, but is it a bad thing? As NotGayDragon has explained, not really.
    OP could do with some simplification. The kind of people who hate Bonjour aren't gonna understand what most of the terms used mean.
    Thank you for explaining what this is. I didn't know.

Yes, it's by Apple.

Plenty of my older LAN games work fine without it on my modern setup, which INCLUDED SCBW before the remaster. The most likely reason for bonjour is that the SC:Remaster includes MAC support.
    as someone in the networking field you should know that its a backdoor to your private pc
    09/07/2017 09:29 AMPosted by WarLorD
    as someone in the networking field you should know that its a backdoor to your private pc

Lots of helpful software can technically be used for malicious reasons. It doesn't make it any less helpful.

The answer is to not be playing Starcraft on your work computer. Your private PC probably doesn't have anything worth backdooring into, especially if you maintain backups.
    deleted
    The reason why SCR uses Bonjour is that it solves LAN service discovery on both mac and windows (Use it for LAN game advertisements and LAN players) and also supports UPNP to allow automatic port forwarding (hence why you are asked to install it for Battle.net play).

Both are hard problems to do right and apple has already solved them.
    I personally don't have much of a problem with Bonjour, worst comes to worst you can just close it with Task Manager.

I do think it absolutely should not be persistent once StarCraft is closed, though. That just feels unsafe and malicious, to me. But I have no solution for that which wouldn't mess with people already running it on their own.
    05/04/2018 07:37 PMPosted by Templarfreak
    I personally don't have much of a problem with Bonjour, worst comes to worst you can just close it with Task Manager.

I do think it absolutely should not be persistent once StarCraft is closed, though. That just feels unsafe and malicious, to me. But I have no solution for that which wouldn't mess with people already running it on their own.

I will get QA to verify that if SCR starts bonjour it should also stop it on exit.
    05/04/2018 06:20 PMPosted by Mark Chandler
    The reason why SCR uses Bonjour is that it solves LAN service discovery on both mac and windows (Use it for LAN game advertisements and LAN players) and also supports UPNP to allow automatic port forwarding (hence why you are asked to install it for Battle.net play).

Both are hard problems to do right and apple has already solved them.

"Hard problems" we've been doing port forwarding as gamers for how many years now? We don't need a !@#$ty Apple protocol infesting our OS to help us do something well documented and is easily achievable by other means, if those means are even necessary to begin with. Also, simply opting out means you are constantly challenged by the game every time you try to login. Refusing to install %^-*ty bonjour protocol also causes significant instabilities in the game client's UI, not to mention the random errors.