Underwhelmed about Remastered

General Discussion
Does anyone else feel somewhat...let down by Remastered?

I mean...I really shouldn't probably be left down by it...I heard plenty of reports from Blizzard that indicated they were going to leave the game in it's original state as much as they could. That meant all the story elements, gameplay mechanics, etc etc.

But...I felt as if they could have done more to it. Maybe revamped the story to incorporate all of the lore they added from the books, all the characters, made the story more like Wings of Liberty when it first came out. Maybe some more options for gameplay, added units to the editor...stuff like that.

Don't get me wrong; I like the fact they did Remaster it. I like the revamped Battle.net, and that they now have a ladder system for Brood War. But I feel just a little let down.

I don't know...it's probably just me. Anyone else feel the same?
I knew they weren't going to really change anything but we should had gotten a finished product that had the Blizzard polish and instead we got a beta that looks like it is held together by tape.
I am very happy that they left is as close to original as it can be.

The good change that I am happy about is the multiplayer match making feature that soon will work.
I think that could have been great to change up some of the core aspects of the game like unit pathing, but ultimately Blizzard had to stick with the level they were going for to keep things working the best as possible for the community.
It's remastered.
I'm very happy about it. Otherwise I wouldn't have bought it.

For a long time I wanted a SC:BW HD, and I was willing to pay 15 bucks for it even if it was left completely untouched otherwise.

I got far more than that. 4k, new models, new artwork, remastered voices, new battlenet with ladder system and I might be forgetting a few things.

If they did more than what they did, would it cost more? If so, then I'd rather have what we got. 15 bucks is a pretty friendly price.

(Also, no new mechanics or pathfinding please. Keeping gameplay as it originally was (1) maintains the ability to play against non-remastered players (2) Has Starcraft still be Starcraft, and not something else; the clunky mechanics are part of the balance.)
08/25/2017 01:18 AMPosted by Rampage
But...I felt as if they could have done more to it. Maybe revamped the story to incorporate all of the lore they added from the books, all the characters, made the story more like Wings of Liberty when it first came out. Maybe some more options for gameplay, added units to the editor...stuff like that.
I for one am incredibly glad they didn't do most of this. Except, more units in the editor could have been cool.
Having kept up with what blizzard said about what they were going to do through out the whole process, I'm completely happy with it. Added to the fact that I'm relatively realistic when it comes to software development, yes the bugs are frustrating, but it's not enough to make me go all out ballistic like the far too many crazies do here.

I can understand if those that ONLY heard it was happening had created their own idea of remastered would be in their head, but for those that pretty much new what the plan was and STILL created their own remastered in their head, they need to just be privately mad at themselves, not at blizzard and definitely not all over the forums.
A lot of us original players and die-hard fans will probably like it even with the infinite bugs.

This is basically a dream come true for people like me.

The only down side that has the potential to kill sc once again is the bugs that hold you back from having fun in the actual gameplay like lag and trying to communicate with friends. Little things like the "/f l " function and the "/r" instead of needing to type their names are game breakers.

It doesn't seem like much but god do i hate it. It's like a paper cut so minimal yet very annoying and painful.

It did seem like blizzard had this grand idea and it was packed and ready to be released, finessed. Honestly.. they really should have released a better product. People were mega hyped and with reason.

Now, it's all done.

Lets just hope they give us consistent patches and fix this god awful lag and give us team matchmaking. A bonus for me personally would to remove the map max option. That one never made sense to me. Can barely play 3v3. 4v4 is out of the question.
Another guy who doesn't !@#$ing know what is he buying previously to do it, and then complains. Next...

(also your ideas are horrendous. All those things you said are exactly what the community does not want to be in Remastered)
What do you mean with "made the story more like Wings of Liberty"?
Wings of liberty is simpleton, easy and lacking of subtlety, like all the campaigns of Sc2. Part of the good thing about Sc1 was minimalism and expressing many things with very few resources.
In the other hand, is true that the remaster need more stuff, like select the color of your team in the matches, a better interface for the observers and a death animation more cool for the zerglings and hidralisk (the hidralisks are white when die).
Does anyone else feel somewhat...let down by Remastered?

I mean...I really shouldn't probably be left down by it...I heard plenty of reports from Blizzard that indicated they were going to leave the game in it's original state as much as they could. That meant all the story elements, gameplay mechanics, etc etc.

Don't get me wrong; I like the fact they did Remaster it. I like the revamped Battle.net, and that they now have a ladder system for Brood War. But I feel just a little let down.

I don't know...it's probably just me. Anyone else feel the same?

its mainly done for the korean market so no one cared about the story anyways i am surprised they made so much in the single player campange as they did i not expected it.

Onl thing that lets me down are the bugs + that there is no 2n2 ladder AND that some of the profile stuff (they even showed download replays) is not even in teh game

thats stuff that rly annoys me other then that i never expected a change to the campaign in optic and i would riot if they change the story ^^
Fun facts in here.

this features are missing from remastered:

• No new AI
  • NO modern features in Observer/Replay mode
  • NO timer in observer mode !!! WHAT??!?!?!
  • BTNET chat restrictions, such as not being able to chat outside of game room..
  • 08/25/2017 03:47 AMPosted by Intuslegere
    For a long time I wanted a SC:BW HD, and I was willing to pay 15 bucks for it even if it was left completely untouched otherwise.

I was very happy about the price; I will say that was a very high selling point for me. I've invested in HD remasters of other games I like, but all of them cost the same as the price I spent when I first got it...and they never added enough to justify the price (I was fortunate enough to get Twilight Princess for only 12$ from Amazon credit I had saved up, and Wind Waker HD as a gift). A 15$ price for an HD remaster for StarCraft!? Hot damn was that good.
    I guess after seeing how different SC1 was from SC2 I placed my expectations slightly higher than I should have. Once I hear some of the bugs die down and the Overwatch season ends, I'm definitely going to see how this new Battle.net looks and give some ladder games a try.
    But...I felt as if they could have done more to it. Maybe revamped the story to incorporate all of the lore they added from the books, all the characters, made the story more like Wings of Liberty when it first came out

Christ no.

that'd be the worst decision they'd ever make

Even among people that like SC2, a great number of them agree that its story is subpar.

(its worse than that, its utter trash)

I would've boycotted this game like crazy if they did that.
    08/25/2017 04:07 AMPosted by Beast
    Having kept up with what blizzard said about what they were going to do through out the whole process, I'm completely happy with it. Added to the fact that I'm relatively realistic when it comes to software development, yes the bugs are frustrating, but it's not enough to make me go all out ballistic like the far too many crazies do here.

I can understand if those that ONLY heard it was happening had created their own idea of remastered would be in their head, but for those that pretty much new what the plan was and STILL created their own remastered in their head, they need to just be privately mad at themselves, not at blizzard and definitely not all over the forums.

Yeah I'm going to agree with you. I'm not really mad at Blizzard or at anyone aside from myself...I just had expectations of grandeur for what I thought they were going to do and I set the bar too high in my head.

When I first heard about Remastered, I only did minimal research on it. I kinda wanted to be surprised on what they might do for it. All I read was the gameplay was going to be the same, the visuals were updated to HD, zoom in and out feature, redesigned Battle.net and the audio was being redone (I originally thought this meant they were rerecording the script for the in game missions as well as the voices for the units...not upgrading the audio quality as I found out later after release). Some time afterwards, I stopped doing research entirely so let the rest be a mystery. So when the game came out, I expected "An HD StarCraft that played exactly the same as Brood War, but with a broader story since they had all this stuff from it's EU, some gameplay options for custom games, new features that they couldn't introduce for time constraints or limitations, etc etc." What I ended up getting was pretty much as the posts here concluded was exactly what the community wanted...and I just got too excited for it with hopes they would do more. It's the same thing I did before The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild came out. I did very minimal research on it because I just wanted to be surprised.

Not that it really bugs me everyone here on this topic...need to emphasize that if I didn't seem like it in the first post I made here. I do like remastered and I was very happy with my purchase. I just thought they would do more since Blizzard is a much bigger company...but the posts here indicate that this is exactly what the community wanted...so I really can't complain in the end. Just because I was underwhelmed doesn't mean I was disappointed.

I just posted because I was interested to see if anyone shared a similar opinion on if they could have done more...in whatever aspect Brood War could have used 20 years after it's release.
    I'm happy that the classic games staff are talking to the player base. This is the first remaster so its bound to be decently rough but that just means the D2 remaster and wc3 remaster will be done all the better. Once team ranked and party features are added the game will probably pick up even more.
    08/25/2017 11:42 PMPosted by CactiThunder
    I'm happy that the classic games staff are talking to the player base. This is the first remaster so its bound to be decently rough but that just means the D2 remaster and wc3 remaster will be done all the better. Once team ranked and party features are added the game will probably pick up even more.

I heard they recently opened a PTR for WarCraft III. Do you think a remaster for that is imminent?
    I don't think so. I expect a remaster version for it but it will take time as the game graphics are "fine" so far. The PTR is basically testing ladder maps and balancing them. Later they will work on balance patch. Not sure what will follow that. But a graphics update like SC seems a little far from now.
    08/26/2017 12:03 AMPosted by Rampage
    08/25/2017 11:42 PMPosted by CactiThunder

I heard they recently opened a PTR for WarCraft III. Do you think a remaster for that is imminent?

Remaster at the most, and Bnet 2.0 integration at the minimum, i expect to see a remaster cause it would make money.
    I'm ok with it launching with bugs, since they are working on fixing them everyday. I am pretty sure the features that were presented will be polished in time, but one thing that really bothers me is the high requirements for LTR. They really should try and optimize it to run on 2GB of VRAM, so that a lot of people can enjoy this feature as well.