Increase MAX Players

General Discussion
Current is 8. Increase to 12 like WC3.
that would require tons of new 9-, 10-, 11-, and 12-player maps, since 8-player maps are the biggest right now. Plus, until CCMU gets fixed, matches wouldn't go very well anyway.

Not against the idea, it would just take a lot of effort
With p2p and lag issues on 8, 12 would be a nightmare... and that without taking into account that maps that exist now would be fooked because players 9-12 are "non-player players" like when you leave a game, all your !@#$ is given to one of those, critters is one of those etc.

They cant just flip a switch and make it 12 players. Also there is a lot more to fix before thinking about that.
Everyone always defending them that it will require work to get something done. When has doing something ever require no work?

SCR's future should allow more players larger maps and better network system. Not instantly, but when the work could be done, do it.

Stop saying, "Oh, but that requires work. You think they want to do work? No one wants to do work, especially Blizzard."
most people I talk to find 4v4 not to be very fun. 3v3 seems to be the sweet spot where there is a lot of players but not too chaotic to have a rich and fun game. if people don't like 4v4 I can't imagine that 5v5 or 6v6 would be any better. this isn't even addressing the logistical problems with implementation...
08/27/2017 03:16 PMPosted by shaLL
Everyone always defending them that it will require work to get something done. When has doing something ever require no work?

SCR's future should allow more players larger maps and better network system. Not instantly, but when the work could be done, do it.

Stop saying, "Oh, but that requires work. You think they want to do work? No one wants to do work, especially Blizzard."
or maybe your expectations are unrealistic? You think everyone is just sitting on their !@# $%^-*!@#$ing all day? Stop being delusionnal, they are a team of about 35 including art team and they already had to do MUCH more work than what you know to bring a 20 years old game up to date. A lot more is in the pipe, like the new editor, just not a full re-write of the game.

Dont be a conspirationist.
08/27/2017 04:04 PMPosted by xXTamagoXx
most people I talk to find 4v4 not to be very fun. 3v3 seems to be the sweet spot where there is a lot of players but not too chaotic to have a rich and fun game. if people don't like 4v4 I can't imagine that 5v5 or 6v6 would be any better. this isn't even addressing the logistical problems with implementation...

The idea I think is to go 3v3v3v3 instead. Still probably overly chaotic, but it'd be different.

But yeah, I don't imagine they could add it easily.
There are many reasons why 12-player StarCraft is just impossible. One is, like mentioned, there are currently absolutelly no 12-player maps, althought that might not be such a problem. Second is that that would require a lot of changes in game code, probably some even including the ways how C++ code manages memory in StarCraft. Third, is that StarCraft actually has 12 Players. Beyond Red Player 1, Blue Player 2, Teal Player 3, Purple Player 4, Orange Player 5, Brown Player 6, White Player 7 and Yellow Player 8, there are also Green Player 9, Pale Yellow Player 10, Tan Player 11 and Dark Aqua Player 12. They are all categorised as "Unused". And here is where problem lies, because Player 12 isn't actually Unused - all critters belongs to Dark Aqua Neutral Player 12, he is also owner of all Minerals, Gas Geysers and neutral units. Whenever somebody leaves the game, or is defeated, ownership of his units transfers to Player 12 Neutral. That's why it isn't that easy, because then Blizzard would need to create an ADDITIONAL Player 13 to be a new Neutral owner of Resources and Critters, and recode the entire game to change all references from Player 12 to Player 13, and nobody knows wouldn't it create more bugs. It's quite an ancient code.
Maybe it would be doable, but it's hard to tell would all the efforts be worth it.
08/27/2017 03:16 PMPosted by shaLL

jaeh but 0,7% wants 12 player maps so rly if it needs ALOT of work why do it ?
its stupid to do something like that damn i never even had a 8 player game in over 20 years
I guess they could add a new file extension, say .sce (extended) for maps with 12 player support, as well as other additions in the future. That way every map made in the last 20 years wouldn't break. Never gonna happen, though. :p
Actually there are 3 unused player slots (P9, P10, and P11) already programmed into SC BW, I'm not sure they existed in vanilla SC, but they have some small use in BW as neutral or computer "Players" they just cannot be used for human players at all. (They have no color selection, triggers also do not work with them, and I'm not sure AI scripts would either due to being called by triggers) Player 12 is by default the neutral "player" that owns all resources on all maps.

So I would think that they could probably do this for BW, but the likelyhood of them actually doing it is very low, like as likely as them fixing the unused Brood War units (Raszagal, DuGalle, Aldaris, and Arcturus) and allowing them to be spawned via map triggers.

As a little side note, two of the unused slots default to colors not seen in regular gameplay (Pale Yellow and Tan), while the last slot defaults to Green, which is interesting considering Green replaces Brown in Desert and Ice tilesets.

Edit: I just realized Garn basically said all of this lol.
Imagine....5 minutes into the game..."Cannot create more units."

Until they fix Sprite limit and Unit limit (which I am guessing they never will?) then it's just not viable.
08/29/2017 08:19 PMPosted by Nethrom
Imagine....5 minutes into the game..."Cannot create more units."

Until they fix Sprite limit and Unit limit (which I am guessing they never will?) then it's just not viable.

I definitely agree, it's already bad enough with 8 players at once in melee, and RP maps with 12 players, oh man, the map would max so fast I'm sure, it already maxes quick if a couple people decide to make towns haha.

However about the never will... they have already said they are looking into trying to increase the limits, it's just hard to say whether or not they will actually be able to successfully do it without breaking the game.

I personally would just like them to fix the four "broken" BW units, and to use the leftover building/unit data (like the leftovers of the Terran Repair Bay, Unused Protoss Buildings, Unused Independent buildings, ect) to make new hero units for the units that don't have heroes, like the workers, the Devourer, Corsair, Medic, Dark Archon, Lurker, and Infested Terran.

It would greatly improve map-making as those units can't be made "heroes" unless you plan on making them unable to be made by all players, with the exception of the Corsair, because Raszagal functions as a hero corsair, for whatever reason, but AFAIK the four "broken" BW units still cannot be spawned via map triggers, which affects their potential use quite a bit.

It would be nice too since there's a decent amount of leftover "nulled" buildings they might be able to squeeze in a generic Hero Marine, Tank, Vulture, Ghost, and BC, so when players want to use those units as heroes, they don't have to feel like they are using Jimmy or Duke or Duran.
08/29/2017 08:36 PMPosted by Lordgenome
they have already said they are looking into trying to increase the limits

This makes me so happy. I didn't see them say that anywhere and was really hoping it would come fixed with SCR. When it wasn't I just assumed that means we are stuck with it. But that's exactly the main thing that bums me out about it is the map making. I want to be able to push the limits and just make whatever my mind wants to, but right now the limits are so small that it's not viable.

I'm really just dying for the StarEdit Remastered to come out! I hope it's not one of those super long projects that's gonna take forever, and there doesn't seem to be any information anywhere about when they are expecting to release it.
Yeah that's exactly why I would like new hero units. It's not like adding them would imbalance the game in any way as they are only ment for UMS use, but it seems like they are way more focused around enhancing the graphics and issues with the game itself like age-old bugs like the stop/hold position glitch. Tho I feel like their attempt to fix that one hasn't worked as I used to rarely if ever encounter it ONLY with Dragoons, but now it seems to happen with other units like Marines and Medics too even tho they said they fixed it.

So it'll be a long wait for something as huge as the sprite/unit limit to actually get increased, I think.

I also heard they were going to fix the Valkyrie missile bug, but by doing that they actually broke other stuff somehow, so they had to "roll back" that fix for later.

One user said tho that by fixing the missile bug, it would totally change the gameplay, and I kind of agree, because then having like 50 supply worth of valkyries could actually mean something balance-wise, so I only hope that whatever they do, they try to keep things (in melee specifically) as the same as possible, because if they don't the community won't be happy if the overall balance of the game is changed.
There's also the arbitrary 1600 unit limit, which includes missiles/sprites. Pretty sure a casual turtling '3v3v3v3' would reach that in 15 mins.
08/31/2017 05:16 PMPosted by Theroux
There's also the arbitrary 1600 unit limit, which includes missiles/sprites. Pretty sure a casual turtling '3v3v3v3' would reach that in 15 mins.

The unit limit and the sprite limit are independent issues. But yeah, a 3v3v3v3 would surely hit that quickly. Even in non-turtlely play, the 200 supply limit wouldn't be sufficient to avoid CCMU.
Even if it's only UMS, I love the idea of 12 player maps.
I think starcraft should have 0 players, it should be only BWAPI simulations all day. I hate that humans play starcraft.
04/17/2019 07:58 AMPosted by The100YOU
I think starcraft should have 0 players, it should be only BWAPI simulations all day. I hate that humans play starcraft.

Hello, Skynet, how do you do?