Are you kidding?

General Discussion
http://m.sports.naver.com/esports/news/read.nhn?oid=468&aid=0000299523

$88,000 USD to host a Brood War tournament? No wonder OGN dipped out and the new WCG-esque tournament was put on hold. That's absolutely insane.

First you get sued by the Korean government for double dipping PC bang fees, now this?
Is there a translation?

This is a pretty idiotic decision.
09/06/2017 06:59 PMPosted by Kino
Is there a translation?

This is a pretty idiotic decision.

Blizzard wants the ASL to pay a 100,000,000 won licensing fee, equal to about $88,500 US Dollars. So pretty much Blizzard wants to be paid for getting publicity.

The PC bang thing is not in this article, but a Korean government entity that handles PC bangs and international licensing agreements sued Blizzard for piling fees on fees on fees.
88k wtf that's like 4 years of full-time, pre-taxed salary, blizzard-activision please. first place prize for most recent tournaments is around a quarter of that. wat are you doing?

is this just for scr or can organizers use 1.18 instead?
WTF Blizz, you're killing the remastered game....
jesus is that real or fake news lol?

Fuking insane... no wonder bw died hahaha! ( if that is true )
Is this for real? but then ASL/Afreeca is paying it? bc they are having a BW/SC:R tournament....
Blizzard seems to be a little delusional about what e-sports are.

It's true that League of Legends moves millions of dollars, but that's the (I believe) most played game in the world.

Just look at the numbers for Overwatch league. They were charging the teams hundreds of thousands of dollars just for participating, and promising the sponsors ridiculous amounts of money.

e-Sports its still a growing industry that still relies (heavily I think) on the community. They just can't treat e-sports like it was baseball.
This is a sign that the game might not be selling well. Sad. Honestly I don't know why they didn't charge $30 at launch, $15 for preorders, or something.
Unconfirmed rumors on what type of fee it is and people are upset...
09/07/2017 07:36 AMPosted by SepZ
Unconfirmed rumors on what type of fee it is and people are upset...

not reacting 12 hours on them is not helping too
Corporate greed at its finest.
I'm sure they will just stick to the old BW versions and not pay.

I'm sure it will be easy to explain why they chose not to adopt remastered if this is the case....
Maybe they can take some of that money and fix the !@#$ing ladder, jesus christ
there is an hidden agenda here, see if you can spot it.
Seems like they're trying to cash in as hard as they can on SCR in the short term without having to commit resources to sustaining it as an esport in the long term.
Who would have thought Blizzard could be as !@#$ty as EA, Activision, Ubisoft?
How could anyone see it coming?
09/07/2017 11:51 AMPosted by CrystalUY

We have no information on what type of fee it is whether its reoccurring or if its a permanent license to run Brood War tournaments. How can you and others in this thread jump to such conclusions?

Would it be better if it came out that Blizzard charged them 7300 dollars to run the tournament? But we didn't have info that the fee is reoccurring 4 times a month for a year.
Wow, seriously? And they said they want the game live good for another 20 years. Well, good luck.
09/07/2017 12:20 PMPosted by SepZ
09/07/2017 11:51 AMPosted by CrystalUY

We have no information on what type of fee it is whether its reoccurring or if its a permanent license to run Brood War tournaments. How can you and others in this thread jump to such conclusions?

Would it be better if it came out that Blizzard charged them 7300 dollars to run the tournament? But we didn't have info that the fee is reoccurring 4 times a month for a year.
I agree that we don't have enough information, but in my opinion any fee is unacceptable.