Are you kidding?

General Discussion
Damn blizz, way to kill your game lol I'm glad I don't do tournament scenes with then. I be upset if I left a better tournament scene for SCR.
I can't help but laugh at people thinking 88K is such a huge deal. Blizzard had revenues of 1.1 billion in 2015. global e-sports will surpass revenues of 1.9 billion this year.

Whatever the fee is, it was not arrived at arbitrarily and it will not "kill" Brood war.
09/07/2017 01:20 PMPosted by InkedChemist
I can't help but laugh at people thinking 88K is such a huge deal. Blizzard had revenues of 1.1 billion in 2015. global e-sports will surpass revenues of 1.9 billion this year.

Whatever the fee is, it was not arrived at arbitrarily and it will not "kill" Brood war.
i don't know why you're bringing blizzard's numbers into the conversation when the 88k comes from afreeca. 1.9 billion is from every e-sport? I don't see how these numbers are relevant at all.
09/07/2017 01:24 PMPosted by Kino
09/07/2017 01:20 PMPosted by InkedChemist

i don't know why you're bringing blizzard's numbers into the conversation when the 88k comes from afreeca. 1.9 billion is from every e-sport? I don't see how these numbers are relevant at all.

For the six months ended 30 June 2017, AfreecaTV Co Ltd revenues increased 15% to W44.03B

I'll save you the math. 44 billion won is approximately 39 million dollars.

Afreeca would not pay the fee if they weren't going to make money.
For the six months ended 30 June 2017, AfreecaTV Co Ltd revenues increased 15% to W44.03B

Regardless, if this fee extends to all major tournaments it's a disincentive to host them. It seems wiser to have more money flowing to help the game grow, than pocketing it.
09/07/2017 01:33 PMPosted by Kino

Regardless, if this fee extends to all major tournaments it's a disincentive to host them. It seems wiser to have more money flowing to help the game grow, than pocketing it.

I read the translation of the article. The nature of the fee is not clear. Is it per tournament? Is it a yearly license? A lifetime license?
Stupid zeros, make everying more expensive... grr...
09/07/2017 01:33 PMPosted by Kino

Also, how many weeks is the ASL going to go on for? Eight? Ten? How many days of potential gate fees and sponsorship money is that? Paying the 88K license fee will likely make sense for tournaments of that scope, even on a per tournament basis.
IMO, Blizzard should focus on giving the game any sort of incentive to have a competitive scene in America or Europe. Instead they are just sucking money from Korea until the game dies and they release SC 3 while they focus on milking every other game they made.
That's so narrow minded and so short term rewards seeking... a huge delusion for a old Blizzard fan.
Who would have thought Blizzard could be as <removed expletive> as EA, Activision, Ubisoft?
How could anyone see it coming?

FeelsBadMan
09/07/2017 11:51 AMPosted by CrystalUY
Who would have thought Blizzard could be as !@#$ty as EA, Activision, Ubisoft?
How could anyone see it coming?

Eh...they're pretty mild as compared to those companies.

For starters, Remastered actually looked good where as the Assassins Creed in france was a glitched nightmare.
09/06/2017 07:19 PMPosted by NotGayDragon
09/06/2017 06:59 PMPosted by Kino
Is there a translation?

This is a pretty idiotic decision.

Blizzard wants the ASL to pay a 100,000,000 won licensing fee, equal to about $88,500 US Dollars. So pretty much Blizzard wants to be paid for getting publicity.

The PC bang thing is not in this article, but a Korean government entity that handles PC bangs and international licensing agreements sued Blizzard for piling fees on fees on fees.

You can't be serious. This is what Blizzard turned into? That's evil.
Esport scene doing 23424billion a year has nothing to do with BW, is BW/SC:R as big as Dota? does any tournament in BW or SC:R offers a pool of 10million USD for first prize? does any tournament in SC have a prize pool of 25million?

how can you compare the amount of ppl that plays in LoL/Dota to SC:R? yeah maybe Afreeca is doing well, but their revenue is not jsut from BW, right? are they only streaming bw content or are their revenue is due to the 3rd season of ASL?

Having a 88k fee in an enviroment where there are no tournaments is sad, yes I think blizzard should be rewarded for their game, but tournaments and community growth also helps them.
88k is also not the problem for asl its problem for every tournament who could be make ... hsc in sc2 has what 20k price money ?

also its strnage seeing fee as high as pricepool ...