Turn Rate

General Discussion
1 2 3 12 Next
Greetings Commanders, Executors, and Cerebrates,

StarCraft: Remastered launched with matchmaker set to turn rate 8, and based on community feedback we want to explore using a higher setting.

So, it’s time for the Frontier League to live up to its name. We added better data gathering of connection quality with 1.20.5, and we will start adjusting and monitoring turn rate for global matchmaking to find the optimal setting.

We will start at 12 and make our way back to 8. Data is only a source of quantitative knowledge though. We will also be looking for qualitative community feedback. Here is the adjustment schedule:

• Turn Rate 12: Thursday 2:30 pm PDT
  • Turn Rate 10: Monday 11:00am PDT
  • Together, we will converge on a setting that plays best globally. There may be other measures we explore based on how this phase goes, but we believe this is the best first step. We’ll use this thread as basecamp for feedback and to update on changes from our end.

Cheers,
    Classic Games
    Good!! Test will make game better.
    Is turn rate something that can be adjusted on a per match basis? Like if my opponent and I have a really fast connection to on another, maybe the turn rate is higher?
    I just hope it wont lag against Koreans...
    09/14/2017 02:47 PMPosted by SuDDenLife
    I just hope it wont lag against Koreans...

Not specifically against Koreans, but those who match against others who are really far away.

I like the idea of having better TR, but I don't think just changing the TR value should be the long term solution here. Oh well, we'll see what happens.
    09/14/2017 02:46 PMPosted by InkedChemist
    Is turn rate something that can be adjusted on a per match basis? Like if my opponent and I have a really fast connection to on another, maybe the turn rate is higher?

The goal is to converge down on a number that we can use consistently across the board. However, this is not completely off the table.
    I normally use a VPN to Korea so I can play versus Koreans, but even with my VPN off I still get lag to people supposedly in my region. I've had to set every game to Extra High Latency (~190ms, equal to Turn Rate 8's 190-ish).

I like that this is being addressed, but just adding dedicated servers would be a much better solution than the current one (P2P games and server-side games still on LAN as a workaround to port conflicts between users).
    I just want to say that lot of zerg progamers have been complaining about turn rate 8. They can't muta micro well so zvt balance is ultimately broken. please consider using 12 or have a seperate ladder for koreans. It's frustrating as z player to have to experience delays. Just yesterday, Larva was so mad with the turn rate he was screaming
    Wow thanks!!!
    I think 10 is actually closer to lan latency on 1.16, 12 feels way smoother than 1.16 lan lat. In any case i think the main thing everyone wants is to have a lag free ladder experience (which is definitely going to be harder to achieve in team games).
    Just played a game in TR12 (Extra High Latency)... Damn it feels good! Please don't ever rollback to TR8!!! =D TR10 might be a good compromise though.
    09/14/2017 03:55 PMPosted by wasdqwerty
    I just want to say that lot of zerg progamers have been complaining about turn rate 8. They can't muta micro well so zvt balance is ultimately broken. please consider using 12 or have a seperate ladder for koreans. It's frustrating as z player to have to experience delays. Just yesterday, Larva was so mad with the turn rate he was screaming

It's at 12 right now. Let's see what we find.
    09/14/2017 04:15 PMPosted by TT1
    I think 10 is actually closer to lan latency on 1.16, 12 feels way smoother than 1.16 lan lat. In any case i think the main thing everyone wants is to have a lag free ladder experience (which is definitely going to be harder to achieve in team games).

yes TR 10 feels like old l2. This is when most foreigners usef to not lag at all vs koreans on fish b4 rm came along. It was all fine. I think 12 is even faster than l2 + low launcher as well so its overkill
    09/14/2017 03:41 PMPosted by Matt Sherman
    09/14/2017 02:46 PMPosted by InkedChemist

The goal is to converge down on a number that we can use consistently across the board. However, this is not completely off the table.
    Some people talk about using dedicated servers instead of p2p. Is that something that would help, and if so, is it within the realm of possibility?
    09/14/2017 04:53 PMPosted by Matt Sherman

It's at 12 right now. Let's see what we find.

Wow really?... then i will lag for a few weeks my account was neve able to hold TURN RATE 12, it just lags way too much cause the hop distance to the server from BOLIVIA.

Is it really impoisble to have a Latency profile?, so if a player was able to play Turn Rate 12 with good connection before, and another was barealy able to play Turn Rate 8 even... the game would chose Turn rate 8 instead...

I hope they fix this as soon as posible, i have not tried turn rate 12, but if its like that it is going to be a mess in my region...
    09/14/2017 04:15 PMPosted by TT1
    You're wrong, I tested this:

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/brood-war/526353-turn-rate-and-latency-data
    Ladder feels really nice with 12 so far.

09/14/2017 06:26 PMPosted by Suikakuju
    Ladder feels really nice with 12 so far.

Why in the world would someone downvote this?