vs

Nvidia 670 GTX 4gb SC

As low as 115 fps with HD lighting ON

As low as 290 fps with HD lighting OFF

vs

AMD 7970, 1050mhz

As low as 80fps with HD Lighting ON

As low as 80fps with HD Lighting OFF

So.. yea.. this is definitely an AMD issue.. It's running WAY worse than Nvidia cards.. from various generations.

Incidentally, the 1050Ti definitely has very weak 2D performance thanks to its lower texture and pixel rate..

OLD__________________________________________________________

I have 2 identical g3258 cpu, overclocked 4.7ghz computers. Bought the mobo and cpu during the microcenter $99 deals.

One has a 7970, the other one a gtx 670

The gtx 670 gets a consistent 300+ fps, with 20 Carriers on screen attacking.

The 7970 gets frame dipped to ~150fps, with 20 Carriers attacking..

I thought this was weird, So I flipped the two graphics cards between the computers and the same thing happened.

Playing at 2560x1600 resolution.

This is very odd indeed on a game from 1998, hahaha.

This afternoon I dug out my old Amd HD4870, installed it, same problem.

Originally I thought it was my 2500k cpu that I used upstairs. But it turns out to be AMD graphics cards which for whatever reason drops to 1/3 the frame rate of Nvidia cards....

Sigh...........

Tomorrow I'll test my 4770k cpu and see if that makes a difference on the Amd card.

Edit:

Tested the 4770k w/ amd and nvidia, same issue occurred.
Likely just no optimization for the Radeon card on Blizzard's end, or just no driver support anymore. Is the 7970 still getting drivers from AMD? It's a really old card now. Sure the GTX 670 is also pretty old, but Nvidia has historically been more popular in recent years, so it probably got optimization.

I know people with things like RX 560s or better don't have issues with SC:R, and the 7970 even uses a slightly more powerful GPU. It's just significantly more power hungry.

(I don't own an RX 560, but I've seen a few threads around here where people have no problems staying between 200-300 fps even in multiplayer games with that card or other similar ones.)
Likely just no optimization for the Radeon card, or just no driver support anymore. Is the 7970 still getting drivers from AMD?

I know people with things like RX 560s or better don't have issues with SC:R, and the 7970 even uses a slightly more powerful GPU.

(I don't own an RX 560, but I've seen a few threads around here where people have no problems staying between 200-300 fps even in multiplayer games with that card or other similar ones.)

Yea, the 7970 is still getting driver support.

I updated to the latest crimson driver, no dice, still very bad performance..

Just to clarify, the game will run between 200-300fps on the Amd card for the most part.

But I was Specifically testing the carriers, because yea, I'm a n00b and I play 3v3 fastest.

With 20 Carriers attacking, the frame rate on AMD will dip to 100-150 fps.

But on the Equivalently powered Nvidia 670 , it will be rock solid 300+ fps
09/21/2017 05:31 PMPosted by New001
Likely just no optimization for the Radeon card, or just no driver support anymore. Is the 7970 still getting drivers from AMD?

I know people with things like RX 560s or better don't have issues with SC:R, and the 7970 even uses a slightly more powerful GPU.

Yea, the 7970 is still getting driver support.

I updated to the latest crimson driver, no dice, still very bad performance..

Just to clarify, the game will run between 200-300fps on the Amd card for the most part.

But I was Specifically testing the carriers, because yea, I'm a n00b and I play 3v3 fastest.

I edited my post. Didn't realize you already posted. I'll restate here though.

It's likely more to do with Blizzard just not optimizing for the old AMD architecture, so I wouldn't blame AMD like you did in your OP. Sure the GTX 670 is also pretty old, but Nvidia has also been more popular in recent years so it probably got some specific optimization.

Sometimes a game just favors one company's cards over the other's. Fortunately though, the recent RX cards seem to run perfectly fine.
[quote]

It's likely more to do with Blizzard just not optimizing for the old AMD architecture, so I wouldn't blame AMD like you did in your OP. Sure the GTX 670 is also pretty old, but Nvidia has also been more popular in recent years so it probably got some specific optimization.

Sometimes a game just favors one company's cards over the other's. Fortunately though, the recent RX cards seem to run perfectly fine.

We don't know who's fault it is, Blizzard or Amd, hahaha.

I'm just reporting the numbers..

Has anyone tested the RX cards with Many Many Carriers ?

Because as I've stated before, when sprites get heavy, (like with carriers), that's when the AMD framerates tank..

It's hovers above 200fps in most other situations.

But the difference on the carriers test between amd and nvidia here is a bit wonky, 100 vs 300+, even though both cards have equivalent passmark scores
Do you even have a monitor CAPABLE of displaying 60+ fps?
09/21/2017 10:36 PMPosted by iopq

Hahahaha.. the game is much smoother at higher fps..

But overall, this is just a weird phenomenon that impacts, well , probably EVERYONE who plays starcraft using an AMD card..
09/23/2017 04:42 PMPosted by New001
But overall, this is just a weird phenomenon that impacts, well , probably EVERYONE who plays starcraft using an AMD card..

That assumption is false. Just because it impacts an old architecture doesn’t mean it impacts them all.

Graphics cards in different generations aren’t made equal, except in some very specific cases.
09/23/2017 04:57 PMPosted by Emberstone

That assumption is false. Just because it impacts an old architecture doesn’t mean it impacts them all.

Graphics cards in different generations aren’t made equal, except in some very specific cases.

I can't test every combination. But it's VERY likely

Here are the combinations I have tested which does have the problem

Gen 2 intel cpu, 2500k 5ghz
Gen 4 intel cpu, g3258 4.7ghz
Gen 4 intel cpu, 4770k 4.8ghz

Amd hd 4870
Amd hd 7970
Nvidia 670 gtx

Do you have an AMD card, could you possibly do a run as well.

Just use the cheats, build 20+ carriers w/ the 8x upgrade, and run um into the enemy ?
I have an RX 560 and can confirm I get about 100-200 fps without lighting, and drop below 80 sometimes with realtime lighting enabled.
09/23/2017 06:30 PMPosted by NotGayDragon
I have an RX 560 and can confirm I get about 100-200 fps without lighting, and drop below 80 sometimes with realtime lighting enabled.

Sup NGDragon, thanks for chiming in.

Could you also tell us your CPU series and specification ?

My own tests indicate that this behavior occurs irrespective of cpu.. But who knows..

hahaha.
09/21/2017 10:36 PMPosted by iopq

Hahahaha.. the game is much smoother at higher fps..

it's really not smoother if you can't display 60+ FPS

your monitor only displays 60 FPS so you can't tell the difference
09/24/2017 07:26 AMPosted by iopq

it's really not smoother if you can't display 60+ FPS

your monitor only displays 60 FPS so you can't tell the difference

That is incorrect iopq

the higher the engine fps runs, the lower the input latency.

This might not be critical to starcraft as much as an FpShooter, but it does matter, and there is very much a difference.

It's an odd phenomenon that shouldn't be happening.
Ryzen 1600 3.8 GHz

New001 is right about fps. I'm a serious rhythm game player and I can't play any below 600 on my 144hz monitor.
09/23/2017 06:30 PMPosted by NotGayDragon

09/24/2017 01:28 PMPosted by NotGayDragon
Ryzen 1600 3.8 GHz

New001 is right about fps. I'm a serious rhythm game player and I can't play any below 600 on my 144hz monitor.

That's pretty interesting. Maybe the other folks I've seen weren't running it in Remastered mode or something.

I'm curious about this now because these cards shouldn't have any issue with Brood War. I'd expect the RX 560 to drop some frames with real-time lighting enabled (it actually puts a hefty load on my GTX 1070 in big fights), but if you're still getting mega drops like that without it then yeah, something's odd, because the integrated graphics on my Surface Pro 2 can still get 100+ fps.

This kinda sucks for AMD users if there's really a performance discrepancy.

Fortunately, AMD CPU's don't seem to be affected. I'm also on a Ryzen 5 1600X overclocked to 4.0 GHz and I'm pretty much stuck to 300 fps most of the time.
Cpu load is low, even with carriers on screen..

So this seems completely a GPU issue.
09/25/2017 02:20 PMPosted by New001

Are any individual cores/threads being maxed out?
09/25/2017 02:31 PMPosted by Emberstone
09/25/2017 02:20 PMPosted by New001

Are any individual cores/threads being maxed out?

No, Cpu is no where close, not even on individual core.
<span class="truncated">...</span>Are any individual cores/threads being maxed out?

No, Cpu is no where close, not even on individual core.
Yeah, something's fishy then. I'm not an engineer working on Starcraft's rendering engine so I can't say what's going on here, but it's weird. Especially in the case of the GTX 670 vs. the HD 7970 because the 7970 is technically the better card.
rx 580 and its far better then my 780 ti, 680 580.
Also using the new ryzen CPU 16thread at 4.3ghz and its amazing its so smooth and multitasking is amazing.

AMD is back on top.