Another SD Widescreen Thread

General Discussion
Is there any chance of SD mode getting 16:9 support? I bought Remastered and enjoy the new graphics and widescreen support, but sometimes I still want to go back to the old look. Remastered is stunning, but the original graphics are what I'm ultimately used to.

If 16:9 is specifically a feature of Remastered and Remastered alone, why not unlock the aspect ratio for Remastered owners in SD mode as well?

I realize the UI in SD mode was specifically designed for 4:3, so I know it wouldn't be an easy change to make. It's just an idea I would really love to see implemented, if it's at all possible.
Easily possible in SCR game engine already has pillarbox option and the two HUD layout switch options, no new coding necessary. Downsample the three wide HD skins to 854 pixels wide if lazy no new skins needed. Then you get original HUD skins in 4:3 and downsampled wide HD skins in widescreen, better than nothing! But then you also get that ugly Protoss HUD in SD too ;)

I agree this should be added, if not for free then at least for payed client.
HD version scaled down to 640x480 does not look like the SD version. It's actually different, with more detail.
09/18/2017 01:42 AMPosted by iopq
HD version scaled down to 640x480 does not look like the SD version. It's actually different, with more detail.

OK if we're nitpicking here then mark my words pay attention man :) haha It wouldn't even be VGA 640x480 it's acutally different, with more pixels FWVGA 854x480 and that's also what I wrote, 854 pixels wide. And I also didn't write scaled down because I know simply downscaling would be too good. That's why I wrote downsampled instead of downscaled, those are usually interchanged words, but downsample can mean to reduce detail, without reducing the image size in pixels, so they are different too!

By simply downsampling they can easily reduce detail as much as they see is fitting and make it look a little more balanced and less out of place. It may not be the proper way of doing it but it's a very easy and quick way to do it, that's all I'm saying. And I think still it's better than nothing.
This is definitely at the top of my list. I understand the limitations of the original UI but I'm more than confident in the classic games team's ability to come up with a solution.
Honestly, I'd probably play with SD 16:9 graphics over the full Remastered graphics. (And I don't mean stretched 16:9, I mean true 16:9 like Remastered is).

This is nothing against the HD sprites and textures. They're by all means gorgeous. I would just like the option, though. Running with the classic graphics would also let my laptop be less loud while playing the game as well. The HD graphics seem to make my fans spin up quite a bit. I just hate playing in 4:3 is all.
BUMPerino! Any news regarding this feature? Some oldschool purists prefer old graphics and with modern monitors it's unacceptable to play on 4:3 with black borders on. Shouldn't be that hard of thing to implement because programs like ResolutionHack from back then could enable this.
I actually don't want this feature, becouse I use F5 to switch into SD before the game starts so that the nexus/hatch/cc is centered in the beginning. Then I switch to HD :)
2nd BUMP after 1 whole year! How long we oldschool purists, elitists who enjoyed 20 year game should wait until this gets implemented? At least give us some answers. I thought devs were reading (as they said) every thread here. I waited 1,5 years and now I want some answers, please!!!
12/08/2018 06:07 AMPosted by CognacLover
2nd BUMP after 1 whole year! How long we oldschool purists, elitists who enjoyed 20 year game should wait until this gets implemented? At least give us some answers. I thought devs were reading (as they said) every thread here. I waited 1,5 years and now I want some answers, please!!!

Get in line xD The minimap has been bugged since release, so if they haven't fixed things so trivial and fundamental in 1,5 years after release, with a ton of other things missing / not working well, this is gonna be on the roadmap somewhere in the 5 year range
The original game's resolution was 648x480, thats a ratio of 4:3.
It is simply impossible to make the original game support 16:9, because it is 4:3.
Try to just get that!

HOWEVER:
If it were possible to choose a CUSTOM RESOLUTION in SC:R (which is 16:9), you could set the resolution to 1280x720 for a more "oldschool" look. You have to realize that the original game was supposed to run on 4:3 17" displays, while SC:R is supposed to run on 16:9 displays, starting at 24" up to 75". So 1280x720 on a 27" display is even more of a pixel mess than the original experience ever was. I don't know why anybody would want to get eye-cancer playing like that, but have it your way!

FYI:
3840x2160 = 4K = Ultra HD
2560x1440 = WQHD
1920x1080 = 1080p = Full HD
1280x720 = 720p = HD
640x480 = SVGA
12/08/2018 09:01 AMPosted by Grulemugg
The original game's resolution was 648x480, thats a ratio of 4:3.
It is simply impossible to make the original game support 16:9, because it is 4:3.
Try to just get that!

HOWEVER:
If it were possible to choose a CUSTOM RESOLUTION in SC:R (which is 16:9), you could set the resolution to 1280x720 for a more "oldschool" look. You have to realize that the original game was supposed to run on 4:3 17" displays, while SC:R is supposed to run on 16:9 displays, starting at 24" up to 75". So 1280x720 on a 27" display is even more of a pixel mess than the original experience ever was. I don't know why anybody would want to get eye-cancer playing like that, but have it your way!

FYI:
3840x2160 = 4K = Ultra HD
2560x1440 = WQHD
1920x1080 = 1080p = Full HD
1280x720 = 720p = HD
640x480 = SVGA

We're not talking about resolutions here. Remastered now runs on new engine, not 640x480 one. All they need to do is to implement widescreen to SD graphics, NOT STRETCHING it but filling black borders like in HD. Yes, pixels aren't sharp but who cares? Also why you talking about impossible when some third party program could do that for ages?
You don't even realize that you are talking nonsense, do you?

Of course we are talking resolution. Widescreen is a TYPE OF RESOLUTION.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Widescreen#Types
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Display_resolution

No, they don't need to "implement widescreen to SD graphics" because that doesn't even make the slightest bit of sense. What they need to do is allow you to CHOOSE the resolution you want to use. Right now, SC:R just uses your desktop resolution. So if you want widescreen graphics in a low resolution right now, just set your desktop to 1280x720.

I really think people like you should not be allowed to post such uninformed nonsense without any kind of consequence. So here is the consequence: I call you out on being uninformed and borderline stupid! It causes me physical pain to read your BS. Try a google search on the terms you use for starters. Google "Widescreen" and "Resolution".

This forum is full of uninformed rants, silly feature requests and ungrateful whining and it has to stop.
12/08/2018 01:42 PMPosted by Grulemugg
You don't even realize that you are talking nonsense, do you?

Of course we are talking resolution. Widescreen is a TYPE OF RESOLUTION.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Widescreen#Types
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Display_resolution

No, they don't need to "implement widescreen to SD graphics" because that doesn't even make the slightest bit of sense. What they need to do is allow you to CHOOSE the resolution you want to use. Right now, SC:R just uses your desktop resolution. So if you want widescreen graphics in a low resolution right now, just set your desktop to 1280x720.

I really think people like you should not be allowed to post such uninformed nonsense without any kind of consequence. So here is the consequence: I call you out on being uninformed and borderline stupid! It causes me physical pain to read your BS. Try a google search on the terms you use for starters. Google "Widescreen" and "Resolution".

This forum is full of uninformed rants, silly feature requests and ungrateful whining and it has to stop.

ZOMG, I knew those resolutions since when I was like 7, who you teaching here huh? Maybe you need to fckin calm your !@#$, keyboard warrior. TL;DR your BS. Tired from reading your cringy parrot teaching, you talk like you know if 1.22 (NOT 1.16.1 !!!) runs on 640x480? SD and HD are on same fcking engine lol, I know 100% more what I'm here talking about. So damn stupid. If it was on 640x480 how it's insta switching when you press from 4:3 to 16:9?
Now look, in SC2 you can choose whatever resolution you want, does it make area of screen bigger? I repeat, I'm not talking about STRETCHING IT, but adding areas into black borders like in HD. Current HD with SD models, did your brain get it? Getting bashed because I never should called it widescreen (cause of useless grammar !@#$s like you) but whatever. ResolutionHack was able to do it, but yeah it customly changed resolution but not only. Now they need to add same HD code to SD so area of screen should look bigger.

WTF is your problem pal? Who are you here to call me stupid? Ppl like you really deserve a big ban hammer. Mods?

And who the hell are you here to tell me what I request? I paid bucks for this game and I request whatever the hell I want. Now go back to your kindergarten to teach kids, that's the best you can do as far as I can tell. Now relax on my ignore list, you can type whatever BS you want, I'm not gonna see it.

I DON'T CARE WHICH RESOLUTION IT WILL BE, I JUST WANT MY SD MODE WITH BIGGER AREA SO I CAN SEE MORE OF MAP.
F5 is NOT "SD mode" you sad joke. F5 is the "show the original game how it used to be before SC:R came out for comparison" key. AND THE ORIGINAL GAME WAS 640x480 PIXEL WITH A 4:3 SCREEN RATION, FFS!

SC:R is able to render 16:9 AND 4:3 resolutions, obviously. If you want low resolution 16:9 (SD stands for standard definition. So SD means LOW RESOLUTION) you have to change and lower your DESKTOP RESOLUTION, because you cannot do that in-game for reasons that escape me.

So pretty please blizzard make resolution an option like it is in any other game so this uninformed whining is put to an end!
You guys gotta understand that they sold us Remastered for $15 - what we were buying was a visual remastering, all of these extra features they've implemented (e.g. EUD) are just kinda bonuses on top. We're not really entitled to any of these features - except fixing or polishing the ones already promised - unless you want to pay additionally for continued development and expansion
This feature is something I was and still am very much hopeful for. Having true 16:9 widescreen support for the original graphics would be incredible. I'm not talking about stretching or pillar-boxing (although it's great to have these options). I also understand that this is not exactly a small effort as it poses the question of what to do with the UI. I enjoy playing in SD mode as there's a charm to the original graphics, but I feel like I'm handicapping myself by giving up that extra map visibility. While I can see why this might not be the remastered team's highest priority, I hope it's at least on their radar.
I dont see any reason they should implement this, there is 16:9 support and graphic is better in Remaster. If u want to feel real BW spirit just play SD 4:3 or buy 4:3 monitor. Absolutely no needed.
They have more important things to add like 2v2 ladder or qol-ladder for new players.
It’s already implemented by guys running BW AI tournaments. If they share the code it might not be a big deal.
12/11/2018 10:45 PMPosted by q4S4r
I dont see any reason they should implement this, there is 16:9 support and graphic is better in Remaster. If u want to feel real BW spirit just play SD 4:3 or buy 4:3 monitor. Absolutely no needed.
They have more important things to add like 2v2 ladder or qol-ladder for new players.

It's not so much about "real BW spirit", it's about a preference for the original art. As far as the remastered graphics being "better", that is entirely subjective. If your measurement for "better" is strictly higher resolution, than sure I guess they are "better". I would also consider additional ladders to be a more important item, but I see no reason why we can't have both...