Please Tell Me I'm Not Alone On This (M5, E3)

Campaign Discussion
The most infuriating one for me in this particular episode is M5 because three times in a row Tassadar died because of something I wasn't aware of.

First time, I approached the installation island from the top-right. I had Tassadar's shuttle mixed with all my main forces. Of course, the spores just HAD to shoot down Tassadar's shuttle.

Fair enough. Should have been more careful. Second time, I had Tassadar's shuttle on a separate hotkey. I approached it from the same way I did the first time. I had my first 12 shuttles absorb the brunt of the spores to drop off my main ground army onto the island to take them out. As I brought Tassadar's shuttle in, I accidentally triggered the trash talking between Duke and Tassadar. After that happened, I suddenly failed? He died again? I didn't even see how he did. I was sure I was careful this time. Oh yeah, and I even had scouts for safe measure.

The third time, I approached from the left. I had the zealots at the entrance and I had the same as before, Tassadar's shuttle hotkey. I was trying my absolute best to drop him off but the spores from the cliff above the entrance shot down Tassadar's shuttle, and the shuttle itself just wouldn't drop the damn templar because of the weird way dropping works in this game where the transport has to be completely still in order to drop units off. The reason why I didn't drop Tassadar off at the far left side was because I didn't want to risk him getting bombed by Infested Terrans that can OHKO him with 500 damage.

Let's not forget about the Scourge you have to dodge along the way to the island itself.

Am I alone on my struggles on this one? Because I swear the design of this mission makes it feel like there's so many ways to fail.
Infested Terrans won't one-shot Tassadar, but they come pretty close. He's a small unit, so he takes reduced damage from explosive attacks.
edit: this is actually wrong since shields take full damage from everything, thanks to Vorgozz for pointing out my error

This mission is easy to cheese and if you want to play legitimately you can just build a bunch of scouts since you have no money problems after you expand once.
I finally completed the mission after doing the old-fashioned "wipeout" operation so that no bull can keep me from the beacon.

Thanks for your help! Still, there's so many things that can go wrong in that mission, it's crazy.
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the harder version I make in a few months.
12/05/2017 11:36 AMPosted by Pr0nogo
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the harder version I make in a few months.

Are you making a harder version of all six episodes, by any chance?
bro tip: if you bring scouts along the AI will prefer targeting the scouts.
12/05/2017 03:12 PMPosted by Ziktofel
bro tip: if you bring scouts along the AI will prefer targeting the scouts.

Which is why I was baffled when the second time when I used them, Tassadar still was killed in his shuttle.
12/05/2017 02:50 PMPosted by KimmoZero
Are you making a harder version ofall six episodes, by any chance?
Yep, it'll take me a while but I'll get there.
Personally, I'm rooting for you, man. I'm glad you brought this to my attention.

I'll definitely record myself doing this when the time comes. Ho, ho!
I tend to keep my hero units in the base...too many times they've died cause of some stupid !@#$. Honestly the hero units in this game are insanely weak. For instance Raynor is just a Vulture with extra health and damage...nothing special. He can get deleted pretty easily if the enemy focuses him.
12/05/2017 11:45 PMPosted by Lemonz
I tend to keep my hero units in the base...too many times they've died cause of some stupid !@#$. Honestly the hero units in this game are insanely weak. For instance Raynor is just a Vulture with extra health and damage...nothing special. He can get deleted pretty easily if the enemy focuses him.

Yeah, I hear you, man. Like, unless you keep them in your base, you really have to babysit them. The annoying thing about Choosing Sides is that it actually REQUIRES you to put the hero in harm's way. Not only that, it's an island map, too filled with two types of suicidal units. Scourge for the Shuttles and Infested Terrans for Tassadar himself.

My main enemy was the Spores, though. I could dodge the Scourge just fine by juking them into hallucinations but spores are so scattered around the base that there always just happens to be one that I didn't kill yet that shoots Tassadar's shuttle down.

It just leaves me completely speechless.
This mission can be completed in less than a min.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnYtdx508Os&list=PLINolSLvvsIUwZnB5_wLnlISQM7NTyWpc&index=26
I'm aware of that trick. I lack the finesse to pull that kind of stuff off, though. Plus, it's a little bit luck based where part of it is hoping they attack the illusions.
Personally, I tend to go for a scorched earth policy on that base. Land a bunch of zealots and dragoons, then clean house. use scouts to clean out the guardians as they appear and to clear an LZ.

As for Duke, he triggers at the first terran building death, and there are a few in the zerg base there.
I had the most inopportune fail in this mission once: as I was saving a game before the final push to wipe out the rest of the base protecting the installation entrance, I was getting Tassadar killed offscreen (and naturally losing the game). It appeared that an Infested Terran was sneaking up on him while the main force of Scouts and Reavers had already moved ahead. And he was getting blown up to smithereens. :)

The worst thing was that I had no backup save. Well, after a few tries - thankfully Tassadar was hotkeyed to 1 - I managed to save him, moving him away just as the Infested Terran was exploding. It was just enough to shift him from the full splash (500 damage) radius into the zone with intermediate damage (250). It cost him most of the shield but he survived and I did not have to replay the mission. Talk about narrow saves. :)

MORAL OF THE STORY: Never leave your heroes unattended.

Speaking about the mission itself, I found out that Hallucinated scouts were proving quite effective against Scourge that roam around the islands. There may be a zone not covered by Spores which could becomes a dropzone (I need to recheck). Fail that, a full group of Scouts can fairly quickly take out a lone Spore Colony - I took pride in even having none of them damaged beyond the shield by moving away the ones that the Spore was targeting. It took me awhile (and a few Save/Loads) but I cleared out the defenses quite well. :)
Seeing your story just makes me think you are given the "This person must survive" objective just to handicap you. Like, I know they're basically a unit with beefed up stats but they are still fairly easy to get killed off.