press PLAY button and nothing happen

Technical Support
Dear Blizzard, please respond to our queries as to why this issue is happening? I have tried all of the suggestions and nothing has worked... I managed to play SCR yesterday because I tried loading it without having internet connected (it worked) however; I tried that again 10 minutes ago with no joy... Uninstall and reinstall doesnt do the job either... We would really appreciate a solution! Thanks
Still trying to get SCR running I noticed that the version I have is 1.21.3.3612/enUS... my question is, because I am based in Europe could the /enUS causing the problem? Rephrase: what does the enUS mean?
03/01/2018 08:01 AMPosted by LittlePants
Still trying to get SCR running I noticed that the version I have is 1.21.3.3612/enUS... my question is, because I am based in Europe could the /enUS causing the problem? Rephrase: what does the enUS mean?

"enUS" means "English - US"... I don't think that this is your issue.

TL
So... what's the solution? I could play a couple of days ago just fine and now it won't even load battle.net.
12/29/2017 06:16 PMPosted by TeaWrekt
If you haven't tried this, I remember a fix from the older StarCraft games where you need to set it in compatibility mode for Windows 95. Navigate to your StarCraft game (most likely in C Drive), right click the StarCraft(dot)exe, click on properties, open the Compatibility tab, check the box that enables you to run the compatibility, and select Windows 95. Good luck.

This helped me. After changing the compatibility mode starcraft worked again.
After more than 2weeks I can play again. Give it a try and change compatibility mode to win98 SP2.
Also try to run starcraft.exe as admin.
Having the very same issue. Maybe it might be a bit more helpful if the program would actually show some kind of error message we can pass to support rather than just failing silently (something even Microsoft doesn't want programs to do).

After suffering the same issue for weeks (just trying again now and then) I've tried running the game with a debugger attached:

With version 1.21.3.3612 on Windows 10 Pro x64 Fall Creator's Update I get an unhandled exception, specifically an access violation at 0x0FD84D89 in ClientSdk.dll trying to read from position 0xFFFFFFFF, which looks like some error that didn't get checked/caught (although looks like a stack underflow looking at the disassembly).

If it matters, this is an upgraded classic installation (probably trying a full/clean reinstall just to be sure).
Same here, press play, then a few seconds later the status next to the button returns to play.

Tried all old windows compatibility modes as well as admin mode- nothing works.
Same here, surprised it's been an issue for months and they haven't answered concerns. disheartening, makes me think not to bother writing this since in 2 months itll be the same story.

Please help @Blizzard
Everything was fine for me until today. Now, I press play and it says "Launching....." then "Playing Now" for a second then nothing. Just goes right back to tab. Tried "scan & repair" and it says nothing found. Using Windows 7. This after last updating...
I don't know why but starcraft is now working 3 weeks later, i don't even think i updated starcraft since then???

Whatever just happy i can play again.
same problem for last few days..please fix this problem fast
Got the same probleme, and when it wasn't upgraded, I could play without any issue. I got a firewall/connection issue with starcraft 2 and Hots and I want through all the troubleshooting and now my probleme is solve with these two games BUT my SCR didn,t fix like those two should I assume it not related with the Third party probleme or the selective statup or the deleter the temp file or adding manualy the game in the firewall. Nothing work :(
03/03/2018 07:05 AMPosted by Snagle
I don't know why but starcraft is now working 3 weeks later, i don't even think i updated starcraft since then???

Whatever just happy i can play again.

So its not patch related or maby even game related if you fix it probably with the normal daily reboot of your computer, who knows?
Okay. Since there's now an incentive to get into the game again, I did some more testing and found a pretty simple solution to get the game running again! :)

Have fun playing StarCraft Remastered and don't forget to report whether it worked for you for added visibility. I'd also appreciate a like, if it indeed helped you. :)

Source of the Problem
Windows 10 Fall Creator's Update introduces a few new security features. Without going into too much detail, they're basically meant to make it significantly harder for attackers to exploit bugs in browsers, games, and other programs to gain elevated rights and do something nasty (like downloading malware).

While this is great, especially if it comes with next to no performance impact, some older games such as StarCraft (Remastered) might not work with this, since they (for whatever reason; maybe optimization) rely on some classic behavior that's no longer working due to these changes.

Fortunately Microsoft provided all the necessary tools to fix those problems for older programs. You just have to actually know about them.

Does this Endanger the Security of my System?
No, not really. We're not turning off this feature for all your programs (which some other sites might make you do in similar situations). We're only adding a single exception. While in theory this weakens the protection against exploits in StarCraft itself, the impact is basically neglectable.

Can I Undo the Change?
Yes. Just follow the steps below to get to the list under Program settings, find the entry for StarCraft, click on it and then pick Remove.

How to Fix StarCraft Remastered
Obligatory Disclaimer: I take no responsibly if you somehow screw up your system trying to follow these steps. If you're unsure, ask someone who knows more about computers than you. If you follow these steps, there won't be any issues. Trust in yourself! To apply the changes you'll need administrator access to your PC.

• Open the Start Menu and type Windows Defender Security Center. Wait for the search result and open the app.
  • In the left menu list, pick App & browser control, which is the 5th icon.
  • Scroll all the way down until you find the clickable link Exploit protection settings
  • Click the Program settings tab on the top.
  • Click on Add program to customize.
  • Click on Choose exact file path.
  • Find your installed StarCraft.exe (make sure not to pick the launcher or editor) and click on Open.
  • In the new window look for the section Control flow guard (CFG), which should be the sixth entry.
  • Tick Override system settings in this section and make sure the switch right below is set to Off.
  • Click on Apply and confirm the UAC prompt.
  • Close the Security Center.
  • You're done! Have fun!
  • Nop didn't work out, I check all other related post and nothing working, and I'm working on windows 7 and i use other software than win defender, but thanx for the help. Maybe its juste my Pc, its an old thing but it work NORMALY just fine :P
    Same issue here. game wont launch.
    Same issue. Running Windows 7. Since I installed StarCraft (Classic, not remematered) through Battle.Net it has never launched. Press play, says the game is running, then nothing happens, and play button reverts.

Blizzard, please address this issue. None of the suggested fixes have worked. There must be a way to patch the game that will allow us to play without compromising our systems' security or having to jump through so many hoops.
    03/06/2018 12:50 AMPosted by Smaxx
    Okay. Since there's now an incentive to get into the game again, I did some more testing and found a pretty simple solution to get the game running again! :)

Have fun playing StarCraft Remastered and don't forget to report whether it worked for you for added visibility. I'd also appreciate a like, if it indeed helped you. :)

Source of the Problem
    Windows 10 Fall Creator's Update introduces a few new security features. Without going into too much detail, they're basically meant to make it significantly harder for attackers to exploit bugs in browsers, games, and other programs to gain elevated rights and do something nasty (like downloading malware).

While this is great, especially if it comes with next to no performance impact, some older games such as StarCraft (Remastered) might not work with this, since they (for whatever reason; maybe optimization) rely on some classic behavior that's no longer working due to these changes.

Fortunately Microsoft provided all the necessary tools to fix those problems for older programs. You just have to actually know about them.

Does this Endanger the Security of my System?
    No, not really. We're not turning off this feature for all your programs (which some other sites might make you do in similar situations). We're only adding a single exception. While in theory this weakens the protection against exploits in StarCraft itself, the impact is basically neglectable.

Can I Undo the Change?
    Yes. Just follow the steps below to get to the list under Program settings, find the entry for StarCraft, click on it and then pick Remove.

How to Fix StarCraft Remastered
    Obligatory Disclaimer: I take no responsibly if you somehow screw up your system trying to follow these steps. If you're unsure, ask someone who knows more about computers than you. If you follow these steps, there won't be any issues. Trust in yourself! To apply the changes you'll need administrator access to your PC.

• Open the Start Menu and type Windows Defender Security Center. Wait for the search result and open the app.
  • In the left menu list, pick App & browser control, which is the 5th icon.
  • Scroll all the way down until you find the clickable link Exploit protection settings
  • Click the Program settings tab on the top.
  • Click on Add program to customize.
  • Click on Choose exact file path.
  • Find your installed StarCraft.exe (make sure not to pick the launcher or editor) and click on Open.
  • In the new window look for the section Control flow guard (CFG), which should be the sixth entry.
  • Tick Override system settings in this section and make sure the switch right below is set to Off.
  • Click on Apply and confirm the UAC prompt.
  • Close the Security Center.
  • You're done! Have fun!

• Thank you very much. This helped me to fix the problem with Windows 10 (1709).
    I believe that the error must be on the game and not on our computers.