Should I play SC2?

General Discussion
Could you guys give me some good reasons to play it? I've read so many negative reviews of the game and I'm thinking it's probably better off to just not play the game. I'm particularly interested in playing for the campaign, not the multiplayer. I can't post in the SC2 forums because it says I need some in-game profile created to post there. Wings of Liberty is apparently free to play now, so my question is, are the following two expansions worth the money?

I've heard that they've turned Raynor into an egoistic jerk who screams and shouts at his well intending crew members all the time. They say it has a 'I'm better than you' vibe.

I've also heard that the ending is so bad it's been called "a slap to the face of all SC1 fans". To be honest that kinda puts me off. Is all that true?

I've enjoyed SC:R a lot and I think the campaign was really good in the first StarCraft.
It's free so go try it.If you don't like it then uninstall.
I enjoyed the Wol campaign,funny enough i didnt play starcraft or broodwar missions.
Even if you don't like the story, the campaign gameplay is miles ahead of sc1.

Haven't played the lotv campaign but the hots one is definitely worth the money.
They're two different games, as long as you don't expect sc2 has the same game exprience as bw it's a good game,they're literally different,sc2 has more faster rhythm than bw and if you're a newbee you would often control a huge ball(your army) to against another huge ball,all the mechanisms are different too.I play sc2 1v1 2v2 games sometimes for fun whenever I feel tired in bw. Just give it a shot man since it's already free.
You can try it, but..

its not worth your time.

01/04/2018 04:30 AMPosted by ShyFX
I've also heard that the ending is so bad it's been called "a slap to the face of all SC1 fans". To be honest that kinda puts me off. Is all that true?

Yes, the epilogue is on the level of a Sonic the Hedgehog fan fiction.
Could you guys give me some good reasons to play it? I've read so many negative reviews of the game and I'm thinking it's probably better off to just not play the game. I'm particularly interested in playing for the campaign, not the multiplayer. I can't post in the SC2 forums because it says I need some in-game profile created to post there. Wings of Liberty is apparently free to play now, so my question is, are the following two expansions worth the money?

Don't be afraid to try it out because the vast majority of people don't.

I am fully aware of the general negativity surrounding this game but I still enjoy it. If you end up enjoying it all the same, then that should be what matters to you in the end.

Keep in mind, however, that the Wings of Liberty campaign functions vastly different than the fast-paced, transmission-briefing style they used in the first StarCraft. And it also depends on what race you're playing.

Furthermore, if you decide the campaign turns you off, you can always just put the game down. Best of all, you didn't have to spend a dime and you had the opportunity to judge for yourself.
For my feedback, it starts out decent but gets worse over time. WoL was my favorite for campaign gameplay due to the variety of mission types and most depth in customization options. It also feels less shallow/simplified than the subsequent installments. HotS is okay if you don't mind having a few missions of clicking a single unit around boss fights while spamming special abilities, and if you can get past the 8-10 or so free win, slightly longer than the loading screen length evolution missions which feel like an attempt at artificially increasing campaign length. LotV is about as dumbed down as you can get gameplay wise, being the most "either/or" restricted unit comp customization in the series and having the most trivialized difficulty due to resource-free mass destruction abilities. A lot of the missions blend together with half of them being a "destroy/capture 5 targets on a small map" missions. Both the prologue and epilogue missions weren't fun and felt more like you were trying to get through them to finish the story. The final epilogue mission, essentially the final conclusion to the main SC story, has probably the most ridiculously disappointing format/objectives I could have expected.

Story wise, don't expect anything above a stereotypical "end of the universe" LotR themed fantasy epoch with inconsistent character portrayals and secondary antagonists and Twilight-esque romance subplots dominating the first two campaigns.

Nova is also out there as DLC but mainly missions 3-6 are fun with bigger, explorable maps and unique objectives, but the others are either too gimmicky or primarily just clicking a hero unit around. The story is nothing to write home about, it's basically the Terran vs. Terran plotlines from the original Rebel Yell campaign as the story framework with slight changes in the events, not terribly imaginitive. It's Starcraft: The Force Awakens.

Overall, with all said and done I strongly prefer SC1/BW campaigns. I liked SC2 the most when the fewest campaigns accompanied it, but you should just try the SC2 ones if you are curious, just without expectations of it either exceeding the original in enjoyment, or being the worst thing you've ever seen. Opinions on the matter run a wide spectrum among fans.
Honestly, if you want some legitimate thoughts regarding SC2 you're probably better off asking on the Starcraft subreddit than any official Blizzard forum. https://www.reddit.com/r/starcraft/

If you want my thoughts, I think it's definitely worth playing the free campaign and then making up your own mind whether to continue. I've been playing Starcraft since it was released in 1998 and I enjoyed Starcraft II a lot and occasionally replay the whole thing with my family.

Raynor isn't portrayed as egotistical. He's down and out and only just starting to regain his confidence. His story is one of the better ones in SC2. Kerrigan is portrayed a lot more inconsistently and there's a lot of focus on the love story between her and Raynor that was explored more from the novels than anything in SC1.

The story delves has some aspects that are usually more connected to fantasy like a prophecy and a god-like enemy whose characterization is pretty shallow. The 3-mission epilogue is also somewhat rushed. But it is an enjoyable ending and fulfills the promise of tying up all the story threads that started with the original game.

I'd say what the campaign does have going for it is a lot more opportunity to get to know the characters. Instead of the video conferences of the original game the conversations between missions are fully animated and you can wander around your flagship and just talk to people. The cutscenes are amazing and the voice acting is usually more than good enough to compensate for the cheesy dialogue. The missions feature a lot of units you don't get to use in multiplayer including a lot of classic Brood War units. And the objectives and mechanics of the missions go a lot deeper than just having to destroy all the enemy buildings. There are also some really memorable characters, particularly the anti-heroes.

Anyway, a lot of longtime Starcraft fans really love the SC2 campaigns even while granting it some legitimate criticism. Others refuse to accept it. The only way you'll really be able to answer your question is to try it out.
Don't hear all these whiners, SC2 is a very good game, you'll judge after playing it, not before. It worth playing.
01/04/2018 09:54 AMPosted by HyperTurtle
But it is an enjoyable ending

lmao.

I've heard that they've turned Raynor into an egoistic jerk who screams and shouts at his well intending crew members all the time. They say it has a 'I'm better than you' vibe.

I've enjoyed SC:R a lot and I think the campaign was really good in the first StarCraft.

You should not let yourself be led by random people (and mostly random people on the internet).
As people mentioned , the game is F2P in Multiplayer and you can test it.
You can watch footage in youtube to see how the game works in Tournaments etc.
From my opinion , the game is good and you can/should try it ... but it's not better than Brood War (it's simplified and the micro is centered around base / macro economy and not as much as unit control).
The Campaigns are good (from a gameplay point of view) , there are tons of tons of units and structures.
The Storyline is the problem , it's written bad from bad people who have little to no clue what Starcraft is / was.
There are tons of retcons and new ''cheezy'' and ''cheap'' geek stuff mixed to make the game look more like a Hollywood Movie.
Honestly? i think everybody that is playing Starcraft should actually play Red Alert and CnCnet free servers, is fun is free, you have to click the option "use pro keys" somewhere in settings, and it will take some time to get used to...but hell that game is another RTS Jewell, probably the second best RTS of all time and people just don't know it. So !@#$ing fun.

About sc2... so many things i don't like, the campaign is good though it will NOT be easy if you play it on brutal (DUH) you will suffer. Online game is well... good? but boring INMO, it will also hurt your Broodwar almost 100% garantee, don't play too much sc2 if you want to be good at BW.

Also the Custom games in Sc2 are the best to be honest, there is always people to play them, i have it installed but i will uninstall it in a few days for other better games. SC2 is not a lasting game, probably because as other people tell you the art is "cheezzy" and the music ugh.... not that good after a while, those menus always with the ambient sound, those units look like Elton Jhons Android Assembly line...disgusting.

Sc2 is definitely a game that lost all elegance for the sake of trying to be more "inclusive to N00bs" !@#$ that !!.
its "OK" feels like command and conquer now mass balls of units fighting. Meh
01/05/2018 07:32 AMPosted by Oragami
its "OK" feels like command and conquer now mass balls of units fighting. Meh

Hey dont insult Command and Conquer in my presence. Red Alert is the second best RTS of all times, dont even comment if you haven't played it competitively, and yes... there are more people playing Red Alert than Starcraft some days, go check it out for your self is free.

Also.... just in case, don't answers "i used to play competitively", go play the new thing for a few days then come back to comment. Dont dare comparing RA to SC2...old C&C or Tiberian Sun but not RA, its a complex game with multitude of build, drop actions, micro, strategy you would be amazed.
I've installed the game yesterday and it's pretty great. I'm at the 6th mission in Wings of Liberty. Pretty decent campaign so far. It took me a while to do the missions because I've chosen to do them on Brutal.

When I started playing it reminded me of Red Alert, not sure why, haha.

I find the gameplay to be quite enjoyable. :)
01/05/2018 11:29 AMPosted by ShyFX
I've installed the game yesterday and it's pretty great. I'm at the 6th mission in Wings of Liberty. Pretty decent campaign so far. It took me a while to do the missions because I've chosen to do them on Brutal.

Playing Brutal on your first time through is quite the challenge!

Heart of the Swarm is the Zerg chapter, Legacy of the Void is Protoss, and Nova Covert Ops is a smaller campaign that is Terran again. Most of the campaigns have a mission or two where you play as another race.

The non-free campaigns are $15 each or there's a bundle where you get all three along with four extra commanders for 2-player co-op missions. The bundle is usually $40 but I think it's still on sale for $30 right now.
01/05/2018 11:29 AMPosted by ShyFX

A bold move. I started on Hard. XD

Anyway, the "sixth" mission could be any mission you chose. Because it's largely non-linear as it puts more emphasis on you making the choice of which mission to do next. The only linear missions are the first three and from there, you can start to do your own thing, pretty much.
its free..................
You should definitely try it.

IMO most of the negativity surrounding the game stems from multiplayer and even then its usually written by people tilted after a bad loss.

As to the campaign do I recommend playing it if you thought Brood War was fun. This is because Campaign units are waaaaaaaaaaaaaay more fun to play with. Some of the abilities such zerglings that can climb walls, or self regenerating robot zealots, or bad !@# spectres is just too great to not try, Blizzard knew they wanted to make a distinction between campaign and multi so the campaign got pretty creative.
They also let you bring back most brood war units so if you really wanted to you could stick with vultures, defilers, reavers and what not. Hell, you can mass scouts if you want.

Basically if you want an awesome space opera, play the campaign. Epilogue was weird but the main stories are pretty justified.

Also, give Co- Op a try. Same fun units and abilities, less ladder rage. Also its going to be where the SC2 team is going to spend more time developing so we can look forward to new content as well.

I wouldn't completely write off multiplayer ladder, but I know better than to really be adamant in convincing people to join. SC2 is a whole different beast than BW with one glaring issue that its easier to have singular game ending moments. If you can live with that and play to avoid those things, its actually not that bad.