Remastered too Demanding on Hardware

General Discussion
The F5 key to toggle HD mode on or off was cute, but it came with the cost of SD mode looking worse than when it ran at native resolution as in patch 1.16 .

Would it be possible to offer parallel broodwar launch applications, one for native SD (and optimized for lower spec computers) and one for HD which can take advantage of modern hardware graphical power.

I think this would be a step in the right direction by allowing folks with older machines to still play on the remastered ladder, but not giving them choppy framerate issues etc. I have a very fast machine and still notice the hiccups. For example when using the mouse to pan quickly across map it will slow down and get choppier over a built out base than over undeveloped terrain. This affects gameplay & APM.

I (and likely many others) would like the option to play in lower demanding native SD mode on ladder.
01/18/2018 10:04 AMPosted by CloudHead
I have a very fast machine
What does this mean? I also have a "very fast machine," but I don't experience this kind of issue.

I do agree that the increased requirements can be a problem to some, especially if you're using a budget laptop, but afaik as long as you have something like an i3-530 or better (a dual-core from 8 years ago) the game should run fine. I even get around 100 fps on my dual-core Surface Pro 2, whose CPU can only turbo to 2.6 GHz and uses integrated graphics.

SC:R isn't that hard to run.
Despite game being published in 2017 it isn't as demanding as today's games, it's requirements are like from 6-7 years ago. I know that potato used to run BW before but honestly it's 2k18 and only thing you can do is upgrade your PC to decent one.
Yeah, in many cases, pumping up the working resolution to the native one (instead of 640x480) could be enough to give a big performance drop. Not to mention changing the original engine to the new one, but probably nothing we can do about it.

For nostalgic reasons I put the original hardware requirements :-) (in the case someone is still not aware)

CPU: Pentium 90 MHz or higher
RAM: 16 MB RAM
GPU: DirectX-Compatible SVGA Video Card (DirectX-compatible)
Store: 80 MB
I run this game on ATI 3600 , Core Duo 2.2Ghz with 4k RAM and i have no problems , it floats!
The PC is ~10 years old.
Honestly, just limiting the FPS should be more than enough to run the game smoothly. People running uncapped FPS in broodwar is completely unnecessary. I'm using a i7-8700k, GTX 1080 Ti, 32 gb ram and i cap my fps at 150. Just enough to hit the 144 hz refresh rate for my monitor.

I also streamed and played remastered from a much weaker laptop. It was demanding for sure until I capped the FPS. Older computers may also benefit from turning off dynamic lightning.
I would also like to see optimization, although there are more pressing - glaring issues - errors to take care of at the moment.
i can run remaster in HD resolution on integrated graphics card ... I guess problem is between chair and monitor.
I could prove the performance issues are dramatic and significant, not just limited to my “very fast machine” (Intel i5 4570 3.2ghz , 8 GB DDR 3 RAM, AMD Radeon R9 270x 2 GB DDR5 VRAM). But do i really need to? Just look at how long it takes to adjust game volume thru menu in game over 1.16 ffs...
It's not totally viable. It would be a pain in the !@# to make sure the two separate clients could remain synced, so the two can still play with each other. Plus, the visual degradation on SD mode is caused by the new OpenGL renderer. Something that having two separate clients wouldn't change, because in order to remain modestly compatible with modern systems you *have* to use either OpenGL or modern DirectX, but modern DirectX can't really do what StarCraft needs it to do.
01/18/2018 04:44 PMPosted by Stratta
Honestly, just limiting the FPS should be more than enough to run the game smoothly. People running uncapped FPS in broodwar is completely unnecessary. I'm using a i7-8700k, GTX 1080 Ti, 32 gb ram and i cap my fps at 150. Just enough to hit the 144 hz refresh rate for my monitor.

I also streamed and played remastered from a much weaker laptop. It was demanding for sure until I capped the FPS. Older computers may also benefit from turning off dynamic lightning.

limiting fps messes with the input, so no

I also get lag when scrolling in the HD mode, so I play on SD
and I think we all get the ridiculously slow ingame menu load. why not just preload the menu, blizzard?
01/19/2018 09:49 PMPosted by CloudHead
2 gb ddr5amd r270x
It was discovered in a thread a while back that SC:R doesn't like AMD cards very much. Make sure to disable the improved lighting effects and that might alleviate some of the strain. That's probably where your stutter comes from.

Here's that thread:
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/starcraft/topic/20759276570
I have no problems at all with the in game menus.

01/21/2018 08:46 AMPosted by Quirinus
01/18/2018 04:44 PMPosted by Stratta

I also get lag when scrolling in the HD mode, so I play on SD
and I think we all get the ridiculously slow ingame menu load. why not just preload the menu, blizzard?
I like the way the dynamic lighting looks, but I have to play with it off, the choppy scrolling issue is even worse with it on that I got super frustrated trying to macro off of say 10 - 15 gateways. Basically, I lose games because my modern spec'd out computer can't run this game at a steady frame rate somehow.
The fact that people play on SD mode to avoid the same issues I describe is almost funny because the new SD mode is actually a downgrade over 1.16 in terms of graphical quality.
01/21/2018 08:46 AMPosted by Quirinus

Except that BW already limited the FPS to about 60 before, so we already have a higher cap with just the lowest-possible setting already.

01/19/2018 09:49 PMPosted by CloudHead
Just look at how long it takes to adjust game volume thru menu in game over 1.16 ffs...

Recently, they actually fixed all of the menu lag. So it really doesn't take that long anymore at all and is comparable with 1.16. Something is just wrong with your computer, I guess. Plus no matter what FPS you have your input latency is still limited by your monitor's refresh rate.
i have a 5+ year old pc (i5 dual core and an old gtx 400er graphic card) and i run it all on high without any problems ... (expect this graphic thing where u need 2MB fore i cant enable that of course)
framerates are perfect no fps drops nothn

i have friends with way older pc's and also zero problems ...

for people with problems there are solutions out there maybe u just need to find what u have done wrong ...
1.16.1 is more optimized for older machines so please Blizzard enable the 1.16.1 executable for those who have buy remastered.

Thank you