Afreeca StarLeague

General Discussion
Prev 1 8 9 10 11 Next
It seems to me that Blizzard is engaging in a shakedown. Starcraft Broodwar market is no longer large enough to warrant these kinds of fees. What a slap in the face of long-time fans.
if that all is true - very disappointing Blizzard® :(
I'm mainly an SC2 player, I don't own Remastered and haven't played Brood War in years, however, I am a huge fan of Starcraft in general, Brood War included. I think it's an excellent game to watch and I have tried to catch up on what little tournaments there have been.

It would really be a shame if ASL5 was cancelled, for any reason, obviously I don't know the details or the full story seeing as Blizzard has exercised their trademark silence and shunning of the community.

I could complain about the way Blizzard has handled Remastered in general concerning all the issues the game has had and continues to have since launch (the reason I still haven't bought it) but I'm here because of ASL and because I and everybody else who loves playing/watching BW wants it to happen.

Respect your fans some, Blizzard.
Answer us blizzard! Or you will have destroyed your reputation completely.
I have really been looking forward to the next ASL. Or to the next team battle. If it doesn't happen I will be very disappointed. What's up Blizzard? What's the issue here?
First – apologies for the delay on commenting on this. We wanted to conduct our own investigation into the context/authenticity of the original post before jumping in, and strangely it has proven more difficult than we expected. We note that the post was deleted almost as soon as it was posted. Frankly, it also caught us a little off guard, as we and Afreeca have been finalizing plans for SCR esports before, during, and after that confusing post.

So, we’re still trying to get to the bottom of this issue, but what we can say is, we are fully committed to SCR as we always have been, and to SCR esports. Nothing has changed in that department, and we continue to engage in dialogue with Afreeca so we can all get back to being excited about an ASL S5!
Most of us have been StarCraft fans for 10+ years.

I think there is something to be said for treating customers and fans right. I deeply respect Grant Davies and the StarCraft dev team a ton. I am not pointing fingers or blaming anyone. I personally feel that the product advertised as SC:R is not what I purchased (I have said this multiple times too). I also was under the assumption that Blizzard would support StarCraft and encourage/grow the pro scene.

Just as the dev team has been hard at work and very open with us via dev vlogs and releasing great updates, I hope Blizzard follows suit and allows us fans and long time customers to enjoy the game we've been playing for most of our lives and works on the negotiations with ASL, whichever they may be. I can honestly say that I bought 4 copies of StarCraft and Brood War for CD keys and on the occasions I lost my CDs (before the patch that allowed you to play without a CD, and before private servers where you didn't need CD keys). I've spent more on StarCraft: Brood War in my lifetime than I have on SC2... and I bought every SC2 expansion.

Like, some people hardcore love this game. Please just do right by it. It won't be around much longer, we all know this. It is really upsetting that during the dying light, there are so many business-related struggles when platforms want to host tournaments.
Are you damn serious!?!
SC:R is the only E-sport that I watch. So I hope there will be more tournaments.
Blizzard is full of snowflakes. They take forever to fix simple problems, but boy do they know how to articulate themselves.
nice, thx for the "clarification"!
01/25/2018 01:53 PMPosted by Khalmanac
First – apologies for the delay on commenting on this. We wanted to conduct our own investigation into the context/authenticity of the original post before jumping in, and strangely it has proven more difficult than we expected. We note that the post was deleted almost as soon as it was posted. Frankly, it also caught us a little off guard, as we and Afreeca have been finalizing plans for SCR esports before, during, and after that confusing post.

So, we’re still trying to get to the bottom of this issue, but what we can say is, we are fully committed to SCR as we always have been, and to SCR esports. Nothing has changed in that department, and we continue to engage in dialogue with Afreeca so we can all get back to being excited about an ASL S5!

It's nice to get some official word on this, especially since the original post was pretty light on details.

I think it's kind of ridiculous that so many people are accusing Blizzard of intentionally sabotaging its own product, but I understand the frustration. With SCR being announced alongside a series of exhibition matches between Flash, Jaedong, Stork, and Bisu and the huge release party on the beach fans were led to believe that esports would be a major part of Remastered. Since then there has been the delayed ASL Season 4, the Jaedong vs Bisu exhibition match at BlizzCon and almost nothing else.

The Developer Updates have been doing their part to address concerns about network lag and the lack of online features but there has been nothing official regarding Blizzard's commitment to supporting tournaments and leagues. And with plenty of promotion for the Overwatch League, Hearthstone Global Gaming, and the latest Starcraft II War Chest it's easy to feel that the SCR competitive scene has been abandoned. And talk of ridiculously high licensing fees and strict creative control has been about all anyone has been able to work with.

I appreciate that you have officially stated that Blizzard is committed to SCR esports. The next step is to set some expectations for what this year might look like.
I appreciate the official statement.
As much as a response is appreciated... that really says nothing. I won't make any judgments until things are more figured out, but it is really confusing and disappointing that Blizzard doesn't seem to completely understand the situation either.
If you're confused as to which post the Blue is referring to it's this one.

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/brood-war/530249-afreeca-ceo-calls-on-fans-to-pressure-relevant-gaming-company-to-begin-asl5
01/25/2018 01:53 PMPosted by Khalmanac

Really appreciate the response Khal, thank you.

I hope I don't come across as accusing you of being vague, but could you dispel the rumours about the fees for tournaments? I heard numbers of 100k being tossed around, but I'm unsure where Blizzard stands on that. From what I hear, Ginewda was tasked with an Afreeca Team Battle 3 (rebranded to Ginewda Team Battle) to specifically avoid this issue. Is there really a fee for tournaments? If there is, is there a good reason for it?

Thanks again for replying.
....first statement regarding anything for scr and people are ecstatic.

Can all of us have slightly higher expectations and opinions for this game we all love?

Btw. This statement is so vague and says about nothing.
This is a pretty vague post.

Can you tell me how much money Blizzard asked of Afreeca for ASL 5?
long live Blizzard and BROOD WAR!
wooohooo!