1.21.3 Lobby latency bars

General Discussion
02/13/2018 11:57 PMPosted by noobcake
02/13/2018 06:23 AMPosted by Stampelle
Amazing but I agree that the players should be informed about those changes with a yellow message when they log in the chat room.

They are, the yellow message has been in my face every day for a week. Sadly no one reads the patch notes so they keep banning me, not knowing that 1 red bar now is like 3 bars before the patch.

That's sad. We need a war hammer gadget to come out the screen and crush the keyboard of those that can't read xD
02/13/2018 11:55 PMPosted by noobcake
You have basically ruined my SC experience with this patch.

I am connecting from Western Australia and since the patch I get banned in 90 percent of games on all servers (Asia, Korea and North America).

I used to show 3 bars and was always fine in games, especially if set to high latency. I'm still on the same connection (12Mbps approx) but I am now showing 1 bar in lobby I have been told.

I'm connecting from Western Australia so my ping will always be around 200 -230ms, regardless of my bandwidth.

It was frustrating before but now you have put the nail in the coffin with this patch. I know a lot of Australians would like to be treated as equals when it comes to your planning but clearly you don't care about this part of the world.

I know your going to say, oh but why not just play people with similar latency bars. Well, it's just not going to happen. Not enough players and regardless of who is playing, people run when they see 1 red bar.

Sad thing is I don't even lag in games. 200ms and 12Mbps and u give me 1 red bar. I rest my case.

Wow that sucks... people kick you from games?, me being from south America even i have green... I hope they read this is not fair... do you see any games that have green bars?, for me 90% of the games are green.

Wait a couple of months more, they are releasing STUN/Nat server solutions, probably your region and NAT type are coming soon. You can also try to connect trough a VPN or PROXY to change your region to something like US but i dont know if that would work..

It sucks to hear that you are having so much problems, and that you where before able to play normal games but now people are discriminating you. Unacceptable, i am really sorry pal, please be patient they are working 24/7 on this, but solutions of this size do take months.
02/14/2018 10:56 AMPosted by The100YOU
02/13/2018 11:55 PMPosted by noobcake
You have basically ruined my SC experience with this patch.

Wow that sucks... people kick you from games?, me being from south America even i have green... I hope they read this is not fair... do you see any games that have green bars?, for me 90% of the games are green.

Wait a couple of months more, they are releasing STUN/Nat server solutions, probably your region and NAT type are coming soon. You can also try to connect trough a VPN or PROXY to change your region to something like US but i dont know if that would work..

It sucks to hear that you are having so much problems, and that you where before able to play normal games but now people are discriminating you. Unacceptable, i am really sorry pal, please be patient they are working 24/7 on this, but solutions of this size do take months.

Yeah, most games are green but that's the issue since that means the players most likely have much better ping.

Regarding a VPN etc, from my experience that usually makes latency worse due to the extra hops. It's possible the blizzard servers would ping the virtual location and think i'm on a faster connection and thus possibly give me more bars. But, my gaming experience will suck because my actual ping will be terrible and it wont be very playable.

I have decided to host now mainly. Seems setting games turn rate to dynamic is the shot at the moment. No wonder I cant play Korea, they are all now hosting games at turn rate 16.

Blizzard may have made some people happy, mainly people with superior ping but surely this will just reduce the player base in the long-run. I've actually noticed that Korean server isn't as busy as say 1 year ago. Seems since last August when Sc was migrated to new platform, everyone just reset their mentality and they simply don't let low ping players play. Now with the latest patch, the hosts are licking their lips and banning with ease.

Oh and I connect to Americas region in the Blizzard app because otherwise the old friends commands don't work when I am playing on NA server. From my testing, the region chosen in the app has no affect on latency and game play. Just affects whether you can use the old friend commands.
for all the work the work they are putting into SC:R. and all the things they are learning........this could only mean that D2:R is gonna be amaaaaaaaaaaazzzziiiiinnnngggg
02/14/2018 02:02 PMPosted by noobcake
I have decided to host now mainly

That is EXACTLY what i do when i am tired of all those games that suddenly drop to TR 8 i host mine at Turn Rate 16, and i hardly ever have poeple that can play on 16 or 12 when i host.

Otherwise i understand when people come to this forum and complain about lag, but the way i see it is to be patient and accept the facts...

Maybe, and just maybe, in some future when Warcraft III and Diablo II Remastered launch (both work on P2P also) then we can get some sort of centralized server, as it will be somehow justify in price INMO. I understand this will means to change the NETCODE, but i am sure the dev team can tackle this problem if it ever happens.

I am 100% sure that Blizzard wont allow another SC:RM, meaning they have learned from the P2P catastrophe that we are having right now... if they keep pushing the Classic Team a centralized server solution is probably a #1 FACT and a Global request from all of us.

i wouldn't be against top 100 players being able to play with Dedicated Servers for free as a testing. But eventually i would like it to be free for everyone, so i hope they listen.
EVERY game lag!Patch sucks!
02/16/2018 09:00 AMPosted by missedclick

I came here to post quite the OPPOSITE OF THAT. My games haven't lagged ONCE. Even thought I played with 3-bar people my games didn't lag at all. You are on the right track blizz. Keep it up
02/16/2018 09:33 AMPosted by StYliShGuY

I came here to post quite the OPPOSITE OF THAT. My games haven't lagged ONCE. Even thought I played with 3-bar people my games didn't lag at all. You are on the right track blizz. Keep it up

Try go on EU server and play some 3v3 games,then ' ll take a look,that you do you say!

Ye,"you are on the right track" lol...100000 Patches and 20 years more and maybe then everyone will be able to play with all on one shared server (ONE GENERAL SERVER) without lag.
02/16/2018 09:33 AMPosted by StYliShGuY

all depends on the tr setting. 3 bars on say TR 8 would show up as 1 red on TR 16 for the same player on the same connection.

banning players because they now show less bars (unless hosts use dynamic TR or TR8 which is rare), isn't really a solution to fixing lag issues.
02/14/2018 02:02 PMPosted by noobcake
I have decided to host now mainly

That is EXACTLY what i do when i am tired of all those games that suddenly drop to TR 8 i host mine at Turn Rate 16, and i hardly ever have people that can play on 16 or 12 when i host.

[/quote]

That's what everyone is doing on Korean server. Every host is using TR16 and bans anyone who cant play at that turn rate. That's all good and well for a country that has a large player base.

But for NA, using TR16 isn't a good idea. Player base is smaller so players from south america and oceania etc need to be accommodated. I personally dont join TR16 games because they have a really good chance of lagging. For NA server, due to the vast locations that connect, I think TR of dynamic or something low like 10 is probably the way to go.

Really looks like Blizzard has favoured Korea here. Makes sense I guess since that's the biggest source of their income.

now i cant host
02/18/2018 11:54 PMPosted by AGRIVIET

now i cant host

that's because of the proxy server which comes into effect when someone like you hasn't forwarded the required ports on their router. Take note but that if you took 5 minutes to forward your ports, the quality of the connection would be better than going via the proxy server.
Posted by missedclick
Absolutely agree! Lags Lags Lags. its 2018 guys )
ok
ra
02/07/2018 12:19 PMPosted by Grant Davies
Hi all,

In our ongoing efforts to combat latency in SCR, we've revamped the custom games latency bar system to make it more meaningful for players.

First, it's important to distinguish between the latency bars displayed on the game search screen vs the latency bars in the game lobby. In the game search screen, the latency bars are based on geodistance (the distance from you to the advertised game host) and therefore are very approximate. We do not show actual latency here because it would involve a lot of packets being sent to hosts and back, and would be somewhat akin to DDOSing the host.

In the game lobby screen, we do show actual latency. We've revamped the system in 1.21.3. Now, the latency bars depend on which turn rate the host has selected. The meaning remains the same regardless of turn rate:

5 bars - high confidence that this player can play at selected TR on low latency
4 bars - the player should be able to play at selected TR on low latency
3 bars - the player should be able to play at selected TR on high latency
2 bars - the player should be able to play at selected TR on extra high latency
1 bar - the player is unlikely to be able to play at selected TR, or has no connectivity to you

In 1.21.3, we have also rolled out our Dynamic Turn Rate system for custom games as an option. The meaning of the bars in this case are:

5 bars - the player should be able to play at TR 16 on low latency
4 bars - the player should be able to play at TR 12 on low latency
3 bars - the player should be able to play at TR 10 on high latency
2 bars - the player should be able to play at TR 8 on extra high latency
1 bar - the player cannot play at any TR on any latency

It's also worth remembering that latency is a moving target - ping times can change (sometimes dramatically) during the course of a game (or even while in the lobby), which means these bars are a guide only. There's no guarantee that a player will maintain their current connection - it could get better or worse with time.

Finally, and importantly, the current latency bar system only measures latency between you and the other player. StarCraft uses a networking algorithm that is optimal when all players have good connectivity to all other players. Therefore, it's incumbent on all players to make it known to the host if they have particularly poor connectivity to another player. In future we'd like to investigate elevating all latency times to the host so that the host can be properly informed.
great si var
02/07/2018 12:19 PMPosted by Grant Davies
Hi all,

In our ongoing efforts to combat latency in SCR, we've revamped the custom games latency bar system to make it more meaningful for players.

First, it's important to distinguish between the latency bars displayed on the game search screen vs the latency bars in the game lobby. In the game search screen, the latency bars are based on geodistance (the distance from you to the advertised game host) and therefore are very approximate. We do not show actual latency here because it would involve a lot of packets being sent to hosts and back, and would be somewhat akin to DDOSing the host.

In the game lobby screen, we do show actual latency. We've revamped the system in 1.21.3. Now, the latency bars depend on which turn rate the host has selected. The meaning remains the same regardless of turn rate:

5 bars - high confidence that this player can play at selected TR on low latency
4 bars - the player should be able to play at selected TR on low latency
3 bars - the player should be able to play at selected TR on high latency
2 bars - the player should be able to play at selected TR on extra high latency
1 bar - the player is unlikely to be able to play at selected TR, or has no connectivity to you

In 1.21.3, we have also rolled out our Dynamic Turn Rate system for custom games as an option. The meaning of the bars in this case are:

5 bars - the player should be able to play at TR 16 on low latency
4 bars - the player should be able to play at TR 12 on low latency
3 bars - the player should be able to play at TR 10 on high latency
2 bars - the player should be able to play at TR 8 on extra high latency
1 bar - the player cannot play at any TR on any latency

It's also worth remembering that latency is a moving target - ping times can change (sometimes dramatically) during the course of a game (or even while in the lobby), which means these bars are a guide only. There's no guarantee that a player will maintain their current connection - it could get better or worse with time.

Finally, and importantly, the current latency bar system only measures latency between you and the other player. StarCraft uses a networking algorithm that is optimal when all players have good connectivity to all other players. Therefore, it's incumbent on all players to make it known to the host if they have particularly poor connectivity to another player. In future we'd like to investigate elevating all latency times to the host so that the host can be properly informed.
ok