1.21.3 Lobby latency bars

General Discussion
Blizzard, as much as I am happy to see SC1 being revived via remastered, I'm disappointed to see that this latest patch is basically telling players from remote locations like Australia to find another game to play.

During 2014-2016 when the North America server was completely dead, there was quite a large number of players from Australia and South America.

Are you keeping these locations in mind when rolling out patches? I ask this because this latest patch seems to be a pretty big slap in the face to players from those parts of the world.

Bear in mind, quite a few Europeans now play on NA server so they will also likely suffer as a result of this patch.
kljn'ki
Europe server full of noobs and laggers!Good work blizzard!
02/26/2018 10:22 PMPosted by noobcake
Blizzard, as much as I am happy to see SC1 being revived via remastered, I'm disappointed to see that this latest patch is basically telling players from remote locations like Australia to find another game to play.

I've gone from 90%+ of people in lobbies being 4-5 green to 90% of people in lobbies being 1R-2Y.Every game the host is either kicking me or telling me to rejoin.
In game no lag but i can't get to that stage half the time anymore.

Speedtest - Ping 8m/s, Download 23.97mb/s, Upload 4.78 mb/s
02/07/2018 12:19 PMPosted by Grant Davies
Hi all,

In our ongoing efforts to combat latency in SCR, we've revamped the custom games latency bar system to make it more meaningful for players.

First, it's important to distinguish between the latency bars displayed on the game search screen vs the latency bars in the game lobby. In the game search screen, the latency bars are based on geodistance (the distance from you to the advertised game host) and therefore are very approximate. We do not show actual latency here because it would involve a lot of packets being sent to hosts and back, and would be somewhat akin to DDOSing the host.

In the game lobby screen, we do show actual latency. We've revamped the system in 1.21.3. Now, the latency bars depend on which turn rate the host has selected. The meaning remains the same regardless of turn rate:

5 bars - high confidence that this player can play at selected TR on low latency
4 bars - the player should be able to play at selected TR on low latency
3 bars - the player should be able to play at selected TR on high latency
2 bars - the player should be able to play at selected TR on extra high latency
1 bar - the player is unlikely to be able to play at selected TR, or has no connectivity to you

In 1.21.3, we have also rolled out our Dynamic Turn Rate system for custom games as an option. The meaning of the bars in this case are:

5 bars - the player should be able to play at TR 16 on low latency
4 bars - the player should be able to play at TR 12 on low latency
3 bars - the player should be able to play at TR 10 on high latency
2 bars - the player should be able to play at TR 8 on extra high latency
1 bar - the player cannot play at any TR on any latency

It's also worth remembering that latency is a moving target - ping times can change (sometimes dramatically) during the course of a game (or even while in the lobby), which means these bars are a guide only. There's no guarantee that a player will maintain their current connection - it could get better or worse with time.

Finally, and importantly, the current latency bar system only measures latency between you and the other player. StarCraft uses a networking algorithm that is optimal when all players have good connectivity to all other players. Therefore, it's incumbent on all players to make it known to the host if they have particularly poor connectivity to another player. In future we'd like to investigate elevating all latency times to the host so that the host can be properly informed.

That is EXACTLY what i do when i am tired of all those games that suddenly drop to TR 8 i host mine at Turn Rate 16, and i hardly ever have people that can play on 16 or 12 when i host.

That's what everyone is doing on Korean server. Every host is using TR16 and bans anyone who cant play at that turn rate. That's all good and well for a country that has a large player base.

But for NA, using TR16 isn't a good idea. Player base is smaller so players from south america and oceania etc need to be accommodated. I personally dont join TR16 games because they have a really good chance of lagging. For NA server, due to the vast locations that connect, I think TR of dynamic or something low like 10 is probably the way to go.

Really looks like Blizzard has favoured Korea here. Makes sense I guess since that's the biggest source of their income.[/quote]

I can't agree more. I am in Australia, and I am pretty much kicked/banned from every single game after New patch. Though if I am lucky to start the game, It is highly unlikely that I will lag.
02/07/2018 12:19 PMPosted by Grant Davies
Hi all,

In our ongoing efforts to combat latency in SCR, we've revamped the custom games latency bar system to make it more meaningful for players.

First, it's important to distinguish between the latency bars displayed on the game search screen vs the latency bars in the game lobby. In the game search screen, the latency bars are based on geodistance (the distance from you to the advertised game host) and therefore are very approximate. We do not show actual latency here because it would involve a lot of packets being sent to hosts and back, and would be somewhat akin to DDOSing the host.

In the game lobby screen, we do show actual latency. We've revamped the system in 1.21.3. Now, the latency bars depend on which turn rate the host has selected. The meaning remains the same regardless of turn rate:

5 bars - high confidence that this player can play at selected TR on low latency
4 bars - the player should be able to play at selected TR on low latency
3 bars - the player should be able to play at selected TR on high latency
2 bars - the player should be able to play at selected TR on extra high latency
1 bar - the player is unlikely to be able to play at selected TR, or has no connectivity to you

In 1.21.3, we have also rolled out our Dynamic Turn Rate system for custom games as an option. The meaning of the bars in this case are:

5 bars - the player should be able to play at TR 16 on low latency
4 bars - the player should be able to play at TR 12 on low latency
3 bars - the player should be able to play at TR 10 on high latency
2 bars - the player should be able to play at TR 8 on extra high latency
1 bar - the player cannot play at any TR on any latency

It's also worth remembering that latency is a moving target - ping times can change (sometimes dramatically) during the course of a game (or even while in the lobby), which means these bars are a guide only. There's no guarantee that a player will maintain their current connection - it could get better or worse with time.

Finally, and importantly, the current latency bar system only measures latency between you and the other player. StarCraft uses a networking algorithm that is optimal when all players have good connectivity to all other players. Therefore, it's incumbent on all players to make it known to the host if they have particularly poor connectivity to another player. In future we'd like to investigate elevating all latency times to the host so that the host can be properly informed.
ㅇㅅㅇ
03/02/2018 03:30 PMPosted by NettleS
I've gone from 90%+ of people in lobbies being 4-5 green to 90% of people in lobbies being 1R-2Y.Every game the host is either kicking me or telling me to rejoin.

You need to ping the US West server directly to give you your latency measurement. That test you did there is pinging your ISP server. Your ping to the Blizzard server is probably more like 200ms.
03/05/2018 08:35 PMPosted by noobcake
03/02/2018 03:30 PMPosted by NettleS

You need to ping the US West server directly to give you your latency measurement. That test you did there is pinging your ISP server. Your ping to the Blizzard server is probably more like 200ms.

It's calculated latency with the game host not the server itself (in 1st post) but i can appreciate most hosting is done from the US.Regardless, there is nothing i can really do about it.
<span class="truncated">...</span>

It's calculated latency with the game host not the server itself (in 1st post) but i can appreciate most hosting is done from the US.Regardless, there is nothing i can really do about it.

True but you posted a ping to your local ISP, that means nothing at all here.

I'm not exactly sure how the calculated latency is actually calculated. I guess it could be the actual ping between the player and host that is reported back to the game but I somehow doubt it since i'm usually banned within a second of joining. It's more likely the calculation is an aggregate of the host's and player's pings to a central point of some sort. I realise that the game isn't hosted on a Blizzard server but there is a server that hosts player logins. That could be a possible central point.

If you use a VPN connection and tunnel to the USA, you will probably have green bars and you won't get banned. but your actually gaming experience will suck because of the extra hops.

This is why the current patch is flawed thinking. You can cheat to be green and cause lag. Or you can be honest and get banned but you don't even lag.

I live in Western Australia and play games with friends in Eastern Australia. We have the same bandwidth but i get banned in far more games then they do when we join games on US West. Hosts might be in SA or Euro or wherever. I'm further than my friends are from US West which backs up the theory that its the ping to US West that matters here, regardless of who is hosting.

The distance between host and players does ultimately decide the lag but what's in question here is what actually determines the latency bars. I'm showing one red bar but I don't lag. That's the disparity here.

Maybe someone from Blizzard could actually tell us how the latency is calculated but I'm not holding my breath for a response :)
Interesting...
So Bars I see is actually how well my connection is with the game host? since is P2P.

If I enter game lobby, every player bar means how well is their connection with the game host right?