StarEdit Campaign Tutorial

General Discussion
Prev 1 5 6 7 Next
Not sure on the always display thing, I never have an issue with it being unticked.

Portrait and command card editing is done through modding, and very basic modding at that. Shouldn't be too difficult to get going on it if you grab the modding tools from here: http://www.staredit.net/topic/17400/
08/04/2018 02:02 AMPosted by DKDKDK
Relax, he started map-making this year and he's done a good job with his first mission pack.
Sorry, was my exclamation mark too big?

08/04/2018 09:56 AMPosted by Pr0nogo
Not sure on the always display thing, I never have an issue with it being unticked.
To clarify on the Always Display thing, it makes display text messages (and text from transmissions) not show up if the player has subtitles disabled in the game options.
08/04/2018 07:28 PMPosted by Synkat
08/04/2018 09:56 AMPosted by Pr0nogo
To clarify on the Always Display thing, it makes display text messages (and text from transmissions) not show up if the player has subtitles disabled in the game options.

^This is correct. I typically don't use Subtitles in games after my first playthrough, and I'm sure I'm not the only person who plays without them.

If it can't be defaulted, then I shall simply have to remember to keep checking it!

For modding, I'll likely hold off on that for now, but might try tackling it down the road.
Another question regarding ScmDraft 2:

Let's say I'm Player 1 (red), and I have a base set up for Player 3 (Teal) and they're rescuable. I do so, and all preplaced Player 3 units are Teal, but anything new I train is going to be Red. Is there a way to make any unit trained from Player 3's buildings remain their original colour, or any structure their workers build retain said colour?
Unfortunately not.

It's possible to make it work with Zerg by constantly giving larvae to the rescuable player. Men spawned from those larvae and buildings built by those drones will retain their color, but you'll have to endure the sound of rescuing units through the whole time, though.
maybe someone can help me in here, i am currently playing this guys mode called Macro Micro in which one makes base and the other moves units

i uploaded the map in here

https://files.fm/u/yhunnpnr

i searched online and found some pretty old maps for python luna fighing spirit etc, could someone be so kind of making diferent versions of this for other maps please?

• Circuit breakers
  • Blue storm
  • Roadkill
  • Pathfinder
  • etc...

is it easy to do? could someone be a gentleman and do it?

also there are annoying sounds like typing sounds in the map and it is in korean... when your press F8 you can see the matchup which is fine in Korean but can someone change that to English as some other stuff like lobby tags etc?

also a small explanation in the beginning on how to use and change the overloads etc...

i would really appreciate if someone could do this for me please.
    @Synkat Cool, thanks for letting me know man.

@Awaiting Well, I created this thread for me to ask questions of experienced map makers since I'm new to this (just completed my 6th map this weekend). I'd suggest making a new thread yourself, with a title clearly stating what you're looking for. Hopefully then the right people will read it and reply.
    Hey all,

Two questions:

1) I want to have a small section of the map revealed but under the Fog of War right at the beginning of a mission. I create and remove a Map Reveler at 0 seconds, but the area stays revealed for around 2 seconds. Anyway to resolve this?

2) I'm trying to create a Xel'Naga Watch Tower around a doodad. Basically I have it set that if the Player brings any Protoss ground unit to the location, it'll create a map reveler. The units leave, the map reveler is removed. The Map Reveler gets created fine, but once the units leave, it removes, the re-creates, then removes, then recreates the reveler over and over, so obviously something is wrong with my Trigger.

Can someone tell me how this should be created?

I specified each Protoss ground unit individually, since "all men" would include air units.

Thanks!
    08/15/2018 01:30 PMPosted by Juxtapose
    1) I want to have a small section of the map revealed but under the Fog of War right at the beginning of a mission. I create and remove a Map Reveler at 0 seconds, but the area stays revealed for around 2 seconds. Anyway to resolve this?
    Just use the Fog of War layer to reveal the area.

08/15/2018 01:30 PMPosted by Juxtapose
    2) I'm trying to create a Xel'Naga Watch Tower around a doodad. Basically I have it set that if the Player brings any Protoss ground unit to the location, it'll create a map reveler. The units leave, the map reveler is removed. The Map Reveler gets created fine, but once the units leave, it removes, the re-creates, then removes, then recreates the reveler over and over, so obviously something is wrong with my Trigger.

Can someone tell me how this should be created?

I specified each Protoss ground unit individually, since "all men" would include air units.
    You can use [men]; simply go in the location's properties and untick low/medium/high air to exclude air units from being detected by the location.

A simple way to trigger this would be:
    1) current player brings at least 1 men at location, switch is cleared;
    set switch, create 1 map revealer at location, preserve trigger.

2) current player brings exactly 0 men at location, switch is set;
    clear switch, remove all map revealer at location, preserve trigger.

This is assuming only one player (the human player) needs/can activate the towers.
    @Synkat Thanks, I'll try this, hopefully tonight!
    Hi all,

If I pre-place a Siege Tank in Siege Mode for the enemy AI, is there a way to make it unsiege and accept a Move Order Trigger?

Thanks.
    Make sure the AI has siege mode researched - otherwise they cannot unsiege.
    Tanks in siege mode can't accept orders, including junkyard dog. Your only non-mod option is to have an enemy unit inside the minimum range of the siege tank to force it to unsiege. For example, create a burrowed zerg unit that the tank player would have vision of, then remove it and order the tank to move. Should work fine with a lone tank, but may not be suitable if there are other tanks or other men nearby, which may shoot at the burrowed unit.

09/03/2018 10:49 AMPosted by SInsanity
    Make sure the AI has siege mode researched - otherwise they cannot unsiege.
    They will be able to unsiege, they just won't be able to siege again.
    Thanks guys.

@SInsanity Already done.

@Synkat Thanks. I figured it was not possible, so over the weekend I worked out a work-around of my own.

Mission Pack 2 is done, by the way, and I'm simply waiting on my tester to finish testing one more map before releasing.

I've already completed the first map of Mission Pack 3, so progress is going well on the project.

Another question I have is about workers carrying power ups, such as a Khaydarin Crystal. Is there a way to have a worker set down a power up without killing said worker?
    09/04/2018 09:58 AMPosted by Juxtapose
    Another question I have is about workers carrying power ups, such as a Khaydarin Crystal. Is there a way to have a worker set down a power up without killing said worker?

Not possible unless someone else can enlighten me on this. You might have to use the remove trigger on the worker.
    09/06/2018 02:26 AMPosted by DKDKDK
    09/04/2018 09:58 AMPosted by Juxtapose

Not possible unless someone else can enlighten me on this. You might have to use the remove trigger on the worker.

Hmmm... if I used the Move Unit Trigger, would the power up come with it?
    Let's assume Player 1 is the human player. Create a trigger owned by a computer player (let's assume that computer player is Player 2). The following trigger will make it look like the worker put the crystal down when it moves into a certain location:
    Conditions:
    'Player 1' brings at least 1 Khaydarin Crystal to 'Location'.

Actions:
    Remove All Khaydarin Crystal for Player 1 at 'Location'.
    Create 1 Khaydarin Crystal at 'Location' for Player 2.
    Execute AI Script 'Set Unit Order To: Junk Yard Dog' at 'Location'.

Junkyard Dog prevents powerups from being picked up by overriding their idle order, but only computer players can run AI scripts.

If the powerup was originally owned by another player before being picked up by the human player, you must remove the powerup for that player instead, in the trigger actions.

To allow the powerup to be picked up again, giving it to another player (and back) should work.
    09/06/2018 03:38 PMPosted by Synkat
    Let's assume Player 1 is the human player. Create a trigger owned by a computer player (let's assume that computer player is Player 2). The following trigger will make it look like the worker put the crystal down when it moves into a certain location:
    Conditions:
    'Player 1' brings at least 1 Khaydarin Crystal to 'Location'.

Actions:
    Remove All Khaydarin Crystal for Player 1 at 'Location'.
    Create 1 Khaydarin Crystal at 'Location' for Player 2.
    Execute AI Script 'Set Unit Order To: Junk Yard Dog' at 'Location'.

Junkyard Dog prevents powerups from being picked up by overriding their idle order, but only computer players can run AI scripts.

If the powerup was originally owned by another player before being picked up by the human player, you must remove the powerup for that player instead, in the trigger actions.

To allow the powerup to be picked up again, giving it to another player (and back) should work.

Thank you, I shall try this!
    Hi everyone,

I just want to let you know that Mission Pack 2 is now out. Full details in this post here: https://us.battle.net/forums/en/starcraft/topic/20765088192?page=1#post-10