StarCraft: Interbellum Custom Campaign

Campaign Discussion
Hello everyone,

Earlier this year, I took an interest in learning how to use StarEdit. I always wanted to make a Custom Campaign when the game originally launched back in the late '90's but I found the Editor too intimidating at that time.

Well, I'm finally doing it, and I'm creating a Custom Campaign entitled "Interbellum."

The Campaign is set between the events of Starcraft: Brood War and StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty, and the story will help bridge the gap between the two games and further explain certain story elements that weren't completely clear.

I'm releasing the Custom Campaign in three Mission Packs, each consisting of three Missions.

For those interested, the first Mission Pack is done and I've uploaded it to Staredit Network here: http://www.staredit.net/sc1db/file/4061/

I hope you enjoy it!
Interesting. A year ago or so, I suggested that Blizzard make something like that for StarCraft: Remastered. Since they could not be bothered, I guess your project will do!
06/15/2018 02:55 PMPosted by JohnnyZeWolf
Interesting. A year ago or so, I suggested that Blizzard make something like that for StarCraft: Remastered. Since they could not be bothered, I guess your project will do!

Yeah. I wanted to answer some questions in ways that are plausible, such as how Kerrigan discovered about Ulaan, Mengsk's involvement in the hybrid program, how Mar Sara, a world that was burned by the Protoss, was magically restored somehow only four years later, etc.

I hope you enjoy it, and I'm hoping to start the second Mission Pack soon. If all goes well, I'll be releasing it by summer's end.
In Blizzard's defense, they hinted at the eventual rehabilitation of devastated planets as early as 1998 with the UMS multiplayer map 'Ghost Town', a UMS map that had the players revisit Chau Sara after its devastation by the Protoss. Besides, both Chau Sara and Mar Sara were already depicted as mostly barren to begin with, so it is not as if they would be this difficult to restore.

In any case, I look forward to see how you address this!
06/16/2018 12:02 PMPosted by JohnnyZeWolf
In Blizzard's defense, they hinted at the eventual rehabilitation of devastated planets as early as 1998 with the UMS multiplayer map 'Ghost Town', a UMS map that had the players revisit Chau Sara after its devastation by the Protoss. Besides, both Chau Sara and Mar Sara were already depicted as mostly barren to begin with, so it is not as if they would be this difficult to restore.

In any case, I look forward to see how you address this!

Cool, I didn't know that. For me, it just seemed odd that Mar Sara seemed essentially untouched only four years later. If you've read Starcraft: Liberty's Crusade and read the description of what the Protoss burning a world actually does, it just seemed very implausible to me.

Not that I was screaming mad about it, or anything. When I first fired up "Wings of Liberty," saw that and a few other things, I realized we were in for a more light-hearted story as opposed to a dark and more serious one and I just decided to enjoy the tonal shift.

And thanks! I'm really enjoying making these maps. It's been a fun challenge! I'll be starting Mission Pack 2 soon!
06/17/2018 12:06 PMPosted by Juxtapose
I realized we were in for a more light-hearted story as opposed to a dark and more serious one

I really disagree with that, but that is a topic for another time.
06/18/2018 05:12 PMPosted by JohnnyZeWolf
06/17/2018 12:06 PMPosted by Juxtapose
I realized we were in for a more light-hearted story as opposed to a dark and more serious one

I really disagree with that, but that is a topic for another time.

Cool. Be curious to hear your thoughts sometime (perhaps in another thread).
Hi all,

I've done some updates to Mission Pack 1 based on player feedback:

- Added a countdown timer for Kerrigan respawns in Mission 02.
- Added invisible walls to prevent unintended player progression in Mission 03.
- Added Triggers to reload each Mission upon Defeat.

The updated Map Pack has been uploaded and is available now at the above original link.

I've also begun work on Mission Pack 2!
Hi all,

I've re-uploaded Mission Pack 1 with some additional minor updates, the first of which was player suggested:

- Kerrigan's Energy resets to 100% at a specific point in Mission 03 to ensure she can cast Ensnare without causing the player to wait for Energy.
- Various spelling and text formatting adjustments in all three Missions.

Mission Pack 1 can still be downloaded here: http://www.staredit.net/sc1db/file/4061/
Hello everyone,

Mission Pack 2 is now out!

Before I link to it, however, I wanted to let you all know that I started using ScmDraft 2 in addition to StarEdit, and I made some additional updates (and bug fixes) to Mission Pack 1. The full list of changes are:

- Replaced an AI Script with an Order Trigger for better consistency in Mission 03.
- Corrected the Probe Player colour bug.
- Adjusted the name of the "Uraj Crystals" to "Terrazine Canisters" in Mission 03.
- Changed Player 6 from Brown to Green colour.
- Removed the Credits (they will now appear in Mission 06 in Mission Pack 2).
- Mission 03 will now attempt to load Mission 04 upon completion.
- Adjusted various text formatting in conversations and Mission Objectives.
- Added an additional Mission Objectives Update in Mission 02 and Mission 03.
- Removed redundant Mini-Map Pings.
- Updated the Readme.txt file.

Mission Pack 1 can be downloaded here, and I would ask that you please re-download and update here: http://www.staredit.net/sc1db/file/4061/

I also updated the File Description, and removed the original screenshots and uploaded StarCraft: Remastered versions. Unless major bugs are found, I expect this to be the final release of Mission Pack 1.

And as I mentioned at the start of this post, Mission Pack 2 is out and and can be downloaded here: http://www.staredit.net/sc1db/file/4132/

I really hope you enjoy both Mission Packs, and I'm hard at work on Mission Pack 3, which will conclude StarCraft: Interbellum!
Note that Mission Pack 2 requires the latest version of StarCraft Anthology as it makes use of some of the new ramps introduced in Patch 1.21.

Wait… so now Blizzard is adding new gameplay features to Remastered?

I take it then that the new maps are not compatible with StarCraft Classic, huh?

Bummer. :(
Yeah the ramps don't work with 1.16.1.
Just dowloaded the first mission pack JP. Finished the first mission, and I won't say too much for fear of spoilers, but it definitely is already answering some questions.

So far, so good. Lets see where this goes.
10/09/2018 04:21 PMPosted by TheBentOne
Just dowloaded the first mission pack JP. Finished the first mission, and I won't say too much for fear of spoilers, but it definitely is already answering some questions.

So far, so good. Lets see where this goes.

Hey man, glad you're enjoying it! Mission Pack 1 is my first maps ever (and I do create them in order), so it was a lot of learning and a lot of fun. Mission Pack 2 is, in my opinion, more complex and I really like the tone I did for it.

Mission Pack 3 is almost ready to go. As far as I'm concerned it's actually done, and I'm waiting on feedback for the final map from my tester. Assuming he's good with it, I'll be launching it and completing the project soon!

I'll be re-releasing Mission Pack 2 at the same time so Mission 06 properly loads in Mission 07 and also for two minor bug fixes.
10/06/2018 01:01 PMPosted by JohnnyZeWolf
Note that Mission Pack 2 requires the latest version of StarCraft Anthology as it makes use of some of the new ramps introduced in Patch 1.21.

Wait… so now Blizzard is adding new gameplay features to Remastered?

I take it then that the new maps are not compatible with StarCraft Classic, huh?

Bummer. :(

Sadly this is correct. Once I started toying with them, I found the new ramps really let me better design some of the layouts I wanted, so I went with them. Since I started making StarCraft: Interbellum before they were released, they start appearing in Mission 06 and onward.
Backwards ramps that are cross-compatible are available at http://www.panschk.de/mappage/newsscript/viewnews.php - just search `[tileset] ramps`.
Hi all,

I've just released Mission Pack 3!

Like last time, I've re-released Mission Pack 2 so it will properly load into Mission Pack 3, and I've also made some minor bug fixes as well. The full list of changes to Mission Pack 2 are:

- Removed the player's ability to Warp In the Arbiter Tribunal in Mission 05.
- Adjusted the Locations of the enemy Area Towns so they function more traditionally in Mission 06.
- Removed the Credits (they will now appear in Mission 09e in Mission Pack 3).
- Mission 06 will now attempt to load Mission 07 upon completion.

For convenience's sake, since the Custom Campaign is now complete, I'll list all three Mission Packs' download locations:

Mission Pack 1: http://www.staredit.net/sc1db/file/4061/
Mission Pack 2: http://www.staredit.net/sc1db/file/4132/
Mission Pack 3: http://www.staredit.net/sc1db/file/4223/

Should any major bugs crop up, I'll of course do my best to address them.

I also want to thank you for playing my Custom Campaign, and I hope you enjoy it!
For any interested, I did a complete playthrough of my Campaign and uploaded it to YouTube. In it, I also show all the secrets and Easter eggs I put in.

If you want to check it out, the playlist can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLeysWJwy9eekpvxz-CbI67_Lv_u5YtHEj
Hi all,

I've re-released Mission Pack 2 with the following updates and improvements:

Update (11/10/18):

- Added invisible walls to prevent unintended map area access in Mission 05s.
- Added Mini-Map Pings to the destination when the Teleporter is used in Mission 05s.
- Added a Location to permit a conversation regarding the Xel'Naga Tower to occur if triggered by an air unit in Mission 06.
- Adjusted the Alliance Status of Player 7 and Player 8 to prevent unintended disruption of the final scripted sequence in Mission 06.
- Adjusted the display timing of various Mission Objective Updates to be more noticeable in Mission 06.
- Adjusted a Pause Game instance during a conversation to permit an additional line of dialogue to be more easily read in Mission 06.
- Minor spelling corrections in Mission 05s and Mission 06.

Mission Pack 2 can still be downloaded here: http://www.staredit.net/sc1db/file/4132/
Hey. Your campaign actually looks well done. I watched some of it on youtube.

However, I didn't see Raynor's attempt to kill Kerrigan. Maybe I missed that. Is that story in this campaign or not?