Disable filter effect for classic Starcraft?

General Discussion
I am really not liking the new 'filter' that was broadly applied on background textures and the unit portraits in the newer patches that came after 1.16.1, because it mostly just makes formerly crisp textures noticeably blurrier.

Kinda hoping that there's a means to disable them and get the old crisp look back again.
There's a filter setting in options -> video, called "SD Graphics Filter". I think it's on no matter what even if you slide it all the way to the 'sharp' side, but you can try that and hope it's enough for you. Otherwise you're stuck playing 1.16.1.
07/07/2018 09:40 PMPosted by Pr0nogo
There's a filter setting in options -> video, called "SD Graphics Filter". I think it's on no matter what even if you slide it all the way to the 'sharp' side, but you can try that and hope it's enough for you. Otherwise you're stuck playing 1.16.1.

Ugh... stuff like this is part of why people are driven to modding (the other part being for the reason of fun, of course).
Yea, I miss the old SD graphics too. It was so colorful and the color saturation was amazing - that is the part I miss the most.

I would love to play both HD and SD graphics, but I cannot stand the blurriness (playing already 1 level away from "sharp").
There are other oddities that seem really strange, like purple being darker on 1.2 than it was on 1.16.1. Not sure what the motivation was behind stuff like that, but surely it wasn't impossible to keep the original graphics untouched. In blizzard's promo for the HD terrain they have the blur filter on fairly high when showing the SD terrain tiles, which made it feel like very dishonest marketing regardless of whether or not that was the case (especially since at the time of release for these promos, we hadn't heard about the blur slider for SD graphics).
07/08/2018 12:41 AMPosted by Pr0nogo
but surely it wasn't impossible to keep the original graphics untouched.

If that were the case, they would not have touched them at all. That would also mean less work for them too, if they did not have to touch them.

BWRE is now a game with 4K resolution. That means the old textures (in low res) have to be scaled up to 4K now. Just take a super low quality jpeg and use it as your screensaver - its the same.
They didn't upscale the old "textures" (sprites btw) though? Where did you get this information? They didn't have access to the old models. For the better part of the last decade they didn't even have the source code for the game.
07/08/2018 04:21 AMPosted by Pr0nogo
They didn't upscale the old "textures" (sprites btw) though? Where did you get this information? They didn't have access to the old models. For the better part of the last decade they didn't even have the source code for the game.

I have heard this is not true, but I don't know for sure.

I dont think they could have redone Starcraft with all the quirks etc without the codeing from back then.

They had to upscale it - the 1.16. stayed true to its own resolution while ingame, now you cannot have both, the HD and SD at the same resolution.
Considering old modding techniques + files still work with the game, it beggars belief that blizzard "redid" starcraft. I've seen no evidence supporting that claim, not even from blizzard themselves. If they put that much work in, surely they'd advertise it to celebrate the developers' efforts?

They did receive the source code recently, my point was that they didn't have it for a while and never got the old models back. To quote an article on starcraft.com:
To start with, we had to rip out all the sprites from the final, shipped version of the game. It’s not like we had this great awesome system on the backend where all our assets were saved . . . no no, we basically had to reverse-engineer our own game, to suck out the sprites and build the tooling around it, just so we could then go and find artists who could re-envision, reimagine, and put all the detail to the original structures and units. We had to rebuild all the models—to everything!
Link: https://starcraft.com/en-us/articles/20726732

"They had to upscale it"? Had to? Again, as I see no evidence for that in-game, I'll need sources to confirm this claim.
The story about them not having the source code is probably not true. It comes from some guy that somehow got his hands on a cd that contained starcraft code. He then returned it to Blizzard, but I find it hard to believe that that was the only copy.

On the other hand, losing the graphics assets files (like the 3d model files from which the 2d gfx sprites were rendered) and tools is more probable, as they are separate from the code.
The story about them not having the source code is probably not true.
Unfortunately this is just an appeal to reason and SC was created in a "wild west" era of game development where sensible business practices weren't in place.

I found an article that had this to say regarding the returned disk:
I asked about this story of the discovered disk. I was told, point blank, that Blizzard already had the same source code disk at the office. That's not the same as some of the original code and assets lost over the years.
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/06/hands-on-with-starcraft-remastered-ahead-of-its-august-14-launch-for-15/

It also mentions that apparently not all the code was missing as they had patch archives, but they didn't have any of the source files beyond some audio samples. Couldn't find anything regarding whether or not they had to rebuild all the base engine functions but judging from my experiments and those of my peers, my educated guess would have to be "no". If I find more concrete info proving or disproving this I'll post about it somewhere.

This is pretty off-topic at this point but as long as OP's question was answered, hopefully he doesn't mind.
07/09/2018 07:52 AMPosted by Pr0nogo

This is pretty off-topic at this point but as long as OP's question was answered, hopefully he doesn't mind.

It was 'answered', but I still don't like where the game currently sits. And overall, I don't like the art direction they took with the 'Remastered' version of Starcraft.

In any case, I'll keep waiting for either a proper solution, or for some savvy user to come up with a modding-based solution. Either one would be acceptable to me, as long as it gets me my crisp, unfiltered textures back.
I don't know if modding can be of any use here, but maybe a user-developer will have an interest at some point. If the classic games team is able to fix this that'd be great.
One of the main reasons why the game looks so bad and either pixely or fuzzy now (depending on your filter setting) is because the game was made for 640x480 and you are scaling it up far, far beyond that. If you turn the filter setting all the way down and put the game window very small then other than some color issues and the buttons it actually looks very true to the original.

It is just completely and totally unreasonable to expect 100% accurate original quality when blowing an image up 200% or more, especially when it isn't generally agreed upon when 100% accurate quality even is when blowing an image up, and then doing this in real-time 100s of times per second. The technology isn't there.

Old: https://i.imgur.com/lj6NKqT.png
New, at the originally intended resolution: https://i.imgur.com/j05lLWD.png

EDIT: Here's a very close examination

Old: https://i.imgur.com/mC3NC2R.png
New: https://i.imgur.com/IaH1H9t.png
Old: https://i.imgur.com/0KsLFHp.png
New: https://i.imgur.com/HfsWKxr.png (they are identical)
Old: https://i.imgur.com/AS44iAj.png
New: https://i.imgur.com/i2iJbL1.png
Old: https://i.imgur.com/CaiTFZH.png
New: https://i.imgur.com/c8j7vZt.png

I just saved a game in the old one and then loaded it into 1.21.5.

There's only some minor differences. Namely, there's just a fuller color range overall. Oddly, some button and graphic misalignment. Weirdly, the UI seems to still be filtered even though I have it all the way off. Nothing else seems to be particularly filtered though. There are some huge differences in the buttons / icons, but other than that all the differences are quite small and subtle. Some rogue pixels on the minerals are a little different, and the shadows are rendering differently (most-notably, the shadows casted on the creep in the old game do not blend into the creep, instead it almost totally changes the color of the creep to a grayish, but do now).

07/10/2018 01:54 PMPosted by Pr0nogo
If the classic games team is able to fix this that'd be great.

I think for the most part when it comes to the buttons these could be super-easily, though time-consumingly, fixed (but I mean, what else are their graphics artists on the Remastered team doing right now? They could do this). The buttons just need to be formated to the new GRP format again with the correct color palette.

07/09/2018 03:33 AMPosted by Quirinus
The story about them not having the source code is probably not true.

It's very true. Many, many 90s to 2000s games have their source code totally lost. If StarCraft didn't lose its source code they'd be the oddity and the exception, not the other way around.
07/11/2018 03:57 PMPosted by Templarfreak
It is just completely and totally unreasonable to expect 100% accurate original quality when blowing an image up 200% or more, especially when it isn't generally agreed upon when 100% accurate quality even is when blowing an image up, and then doing this in real-time 100s of times per second. The technology isn't there.

Except the technology was there. Originally, upscaling the resolution in classic Starcraft was handled by the GPU, and overall, the GPU-based upscaling did a noticeably better job at increasing the size of the image displayed with little to no quality loss, compared to the 'filter' effect that Blizzard implemented.
I imagine the reason they strayed away from GPU rendering is due to the vram requirements of the HD graphics, which as far as I know are loaded to memory even when you play in SD.
what else are their graphics artists on the Remastered team doing right now? They could do this

They could, but I am sure that they are already remastering another game. I believe it is WC3.
07/12/2018 02:04 AMPosted by Pr0nogo
I imagine the reason they strayed away from GPU rendering is due to the vram requirements of the HD graphics, which as far as I know are loaded to memory even when you play in SD.

My point being, of course, is that they could have taken cues from the GPU-based upscaler, and made whatever adjustments were necessary to create a 'true' widescreen upscaled solution in the base game itself.

Something that avoids whatever performance hit the GPU-based upscaler incurred, but still produces the same overall result visually.
I agree that the classic games team should have made it happen, but at the moment there are more pressing issues that impact gameplay imo, like performance compared to 1.16.1 (which took a bigger hit than a graphical update would imply, imo).
07/12/2018 12:49 AMPosted by Drlolcat
Except the technology was there. Originally, upscaling the resolution in classic Starcraft was handled by the GPU, and overall, the GPU-based upscaling did a noticeably better job at increasing the size of the image displayed with little to no quality loss, compared to the 'filter' effect that Blizzard implemented.

It was more specifically changing the desktop resolution. I'm no video expert, but I'm pretty sure that's different from just scaling the image up and would in fact take *less* hardware to perform as oppose to scaling an image which takes *more.*

07/12/2018 07:25 AMPosted by Drlolcat
Something that avoids whatever performance hit the GPU-based upscaler incurred, but still produces the same overall result visually.

Anything that would avoid taking a performance hit to the GPU would just then shift that performance hit somewhere else.

07/12/2018 02:04 AMPosted by Pr0nogo

It would be impossible to switch on the fly the way it does right now if it didn't, but there are also 2 sets of HD graphics. Only one set gets loaded, based on your system specifications (if you don't have a good enough system, the lower-quality HD set gets loaded instead).