Turn off allied back stabbing...

General Discussion
Once game starts..there should be no options to 'un-ally'
Too many people pad their stats towards the end of the game un-allying. Makes it not fun to play.
If you don't like dealing with diplomacy you can play 1v1. Or, you can backstab first (they don't expect dts from their ally).
I'm surprised that Tanarus' post gets dislikes. If I join a 3v3 team game and later on get surprised by an attack of my team mate who had the brilliant idea to first get all his/her units into my base and only then "un-allies" me, it just seems ridiculous and I'd suggest that he/she should rather go for a 1v1 and not me. It's not fun, it's childish, and backstabbing first would only put me in the same place of seeking attention and getting wins because I can't get them playing fair. Not interested.

Now feel free to dislike my post as well; alternatively there are some serious people around who are experienced and can elucidate the matter a bit.

I should add I'm just a total noob who can't accept to lose against the player I supported for the whole game which usually makes me so sad that I quit the game and play tetris instead.

Update @Tanarus: Apparently this is only possible in melee games while in top vs bottom games one cannot 'un-ally'. So just join that kind of team games. Simple and best solution to the problem ;-) Thanks to SuDDenLife for making this clear.
I don't play tons of team games with randoms but in my experience people typically backstab team mates when they're not contributing enough. Not always but a lot of the time.

I do feel that the diplomacy tab should definitely be disabled when the team ladder is released.
If you do not want to be backstabbed, then do not play Melee. It is part of the game mode.

Top vs Bottom is the game mode you want then.

08/03/2018 09:07 AMPosted by InkedChemist
I don't play tons of team games with randoms but in my experience people typically backstab team mates when they're not contributing enough. Not always but a lot of the time.

I do feel that the diplomacy tab should definitely be disabled when the team ladder is released.

Team ladder will be played in Top vs Bottom 100%, anything else would be madness. LOL
08/03/2018 11:00 AMPosted by SuDDenLife
If you do not want to be backstabbed, then do not play Melee. It is part of the game mode.

Top vs Bottom is the game mode you want then.

Are we talking about the same thing? In top vs bottom it is (at least it was) possible to 'un-ally' a team mate and all of the sudden play against him, so that wouldn't protect from being backstabbed..? Am I getting something wrong?
Yes. You are talking about Melee.

Top vs Bottom fixes that.

The only reasons why you would ever play Melee are 1) to potentially draw a game on agreement and 2) to backstab your allies, or form alliances on the go etc.
i said it a lot of times, we need a system to check this kind of moves, SCV worker stack attack at beginning of game (which is imposible to survive BTW), allies stacking other allies, people droping games (closing process, changing router settings, disconnecting), players leaving a team game, players playing 3v3 or 2v2 and 2 of them being zerg.. etc...

Is fun and all to do and see his things in custom games, but if Team Match Making comes we need a system to check for this stuff ASAP, i know this thing troll things are part of Starcraft "soul and personality for several years", but if the development team is thinking of releasing a Team Match Making Rank System without any sort of check for this stuff.. well... we are going to have a bad time.
08/03/2018 11:30 AMPosted by SuDDenLife

Oh wow, I didn't realize that. Thanks :-)

So the simple solution is just to avoid melee team games and rather join top vs bottom games if you wanna have a fixed alliance. Awesome.
Given the discussion in a related thread (https://us.battle.net/forums/en/starcraft/topic/20767667721?page=1) I want to point out that here seems to be a proof that one can unally in a top vs bottom game when it's against other human players:

I never play vs Comps, so I didnt know you cannot unally Computers in TvB (just tested it), BUT you can normal unally human players...
[...] here is an evidence:
youtu.be/Du8d6TL-OcI (youtube video showcasing that you can unally the teammates in TvB. My game is on german, so it says "Oben gegen Unten", but you can use google translate to see that it is in fact Top vs Bottom...)

Just to help those who will google the topic sometime in the future and end up here.
08/03/2018 11:30 AMPosted by SuDDenLife

The only reasons why you would ever play Melee are 1) to potentially draw a game on agreement and 2) to backstab your allies, or form alliances on the go etc.

That's not accurate
I just played 3v4 comps on TvB. One guy disconnected. The other backstabbed me after we killed 2 of the Comps.
Dear Blizzard please explain to me why this is still possible after all these years? This is absurd, especially playing against Comps.
There is no player reputation system, so I can't report the player either. Remastered... hardly.

Until this is fixed. I won't be buying Warcraft 3 remastered I assure you.
Well, if 3v3 MM will ever be implemented it should have locked teams.

I know, that sucks. Even playing 2v2v2v2 is a mess cuz ppl backstab, we really need a "lock team" option.

EDIT: Like 3 minutes to make teams and then it lock it up ! This way it works for all the mods.
Okay, so maybe one of the newer updates fixed this, but like a month or 2 ago, you could betray people by unallying them on Top vs bottom as well. This may have changed but I will check soon in the future.
I think this is less of a problem of the system itself (whether you can un-ally or not) and more of a problem of actually having an honour system within Battle.Net. While I don't think a B.Net police force is exactly the solution...just think about this for a second.

If a person wants to find team games to play, that's fair enough. Not everyone wants to play 1vs1 - some people don't find that fun, and we shouldn't expect everyone to find it fun. Those who want to play team games look for them! What it fundamentally comes down to though is that there are players within Battle.Net who ruin games for others. It doesn't matter whether ruining the game is by means of backstabbing, refusing to play at all, or leaving one minute after the game starts. Why isn't playing fair and honest and true in the Code of Conduct?

Throw on top of this anyone who wants to play a Use Map Settings game - many people leave as soon as it starts; some don't even try to learn the game; many quit when the first marine appears at their base before they've made their 50th Stargate to build a fleet of Carriers all in one shot.

While you can't exactly ban every behaviour - there definitely *should* be some kind of marking or review system between players at the very least (a peer to peer system) that gives a meaningful overview of someone when they come in. That would at least stop backstabbing before it starts. As for everything else - an encouragement campaign about what honest gameplay looks like would be wonderful. Simple rules like "finish what you start," "don't give up," and "say hello when someone says hello to you" would do wonders for the community on Battle.Net.

As for me - after 3 days of hosting games of multiple kinds, I have yet to play a single one. I've cleaned my entire house while waiting for people to join and re-creating games after they leave for (as far as I can tell) no good reason. Why is this acceptable?
Part of the game.Happens to me maybe 1 in 1000 games.Total non-issue.
12/18/2018 05:55 PMPosted by NettleS

I'd agree with this if only backstabbing was the issue. Throw in leavers, quitters, players who can't commit to playing a game through at all - and in my experience, this rises from 1 in 1000 to about 950 in 1000 (no exaggeration). Backstabbing is just plain wrong: the appropriate action is an IP ban as far as I'm concerned, but it would not solve the problems at the root that cause so much other kinds of damage.
12/18/2018 05:55 PMPosted by NettleS

I get them like once every 30-50 games. Extremely anti climatic especially when you just won a well deserved game.

They should set it so that once the timer hits 3mins people can no longer un-ally. Some players like to get a mega huge base because they plan on backstabbing.