Matchmaking Broken

General Discussion
Hello,

The current matchmaking system is not correctly matching similar skilled players. I've been playing on the ladder nearly everyday since release of this patch, and noticed that the matchmaking is all over the place. Either I will be playing someone that is significantly worse, or someone who is an amateur pro player. Very rarely will I play a match that is fun, and not completely one sided.

I understand the MMR system in SC:R is new and it will take time to adjust. But I wanted to voice out my current experience of the ladder so the developers are aware that things are not as good as it should be.
I know how you feel. The problem could be that the game is looking for good connection as number one goal and not skill. I lost a lot of games lately because I was matched with player that had 200 and up to 321 MMR more then me.
Ok we all cook with water but holy **** that was not even close.

I am willing to give the system more time to balance out and stuff, but the mmr range needs to be adjusted. At least in my oppinion.
Feels like it puts a bit too high emphasis on ping yeah. I'm E rank playing from the remote location of South Africa and apart from dodgy skill levels i also have quite long queue times when i know there must be players of similar skill in EU waiting for a game.
It's a bit frustrating having to wait 5-10 minutes for an opponent that may not even be a good match when i get games within 20s in SC2 and the possibility to grind much more games.
@Vincent & Akevader

Yeah it seems like the ping takes more priority. Its a hard problem due to the player base. I hope they continue to adjust it so everyone can enjoy the game.
08/16/2018 02:12 AMPosted by NostrA
@Vincent & Akevader

Yeah it seems like the ping takes more priority. Its a hard problem due to the player base. I hope they continue to adjust it so everyone can enjoy the game.

Yea i know that they try to make the best possible connection. But the moment they announced that I was hoping that the balance between MMR and Ping would not lean so hard to ping instead of MMR.

I am hope that they will find a good solution to this.
Does anybody know how mich difference in MMR Blizzard allows? What was the biggest MMR difference you've encountered so far?

Also, as Nostra pointed out to, could it be that there are simply not enough players online at the same time to ensure that equally skilled people are being matched?

Last but not least, even if they don't solve it, it would at least be very helpful to see the opponent's MMR in the loading screen of the match so that one can get a better idea of how the match could go (wrong) :-)
@totaln00b

The largest difference I've experienced was me (B) against a F level player. Yeah the MMR being shown/league would be awesome.
The problem is quite simple :
Any server other than the Korean one has WAY too few players... so, unless you want to wait 10+ minutes to find a game even at sub 1500 mmr... they HAVE to allow a wider mmr spread.
(Talking about Europe, there are at most 40-50 games beeing played at the same time on average)

The solution : There is no solution unless you can find an extra 20k people playing outside Korea
I've been matched against both Bonyth and Bakuryu who are qualified for the SC:Remastered pro series and i'm in E as mentioned. Against Bonyth he said he'd been queuing a long time so perhaps i occasionally get the leftovers somehow... :)

I've had many good games too though, however i think i'm missing out on a lot of action currently.
08/16/2018 03:09 AMPosted by Nite
so, unless you want to wait 10+ minutes to find a game even at sub 1500 mmr... they HAVE to allow a wider mmr spread.

08/16/2018 03:09 AMPosted by Nite
The solution : There is no solution unless you can find an extra 20k people playing outside Korea

Which will most likely not happen. Why does Blizzard not just make ranked games global? I know Koreans dominate the game but given the hype there, there should be at least 20k 5 year old Koreans who just started and hence might only be slightly better than us :-) Is it the lag problem? There should be enough players with good connections then, even if they're not living in the same region. Do other game companies also separate players according to their region?
The MMR range itself is not the problem - everbody should face a highly favored or unfavored player once in a while, that is important too.

The problem is that MM is not global enough. We do not face 75% of the playerbase, until we do, we have to be high MMR with very long queue times, and even then most of the time we do not get a proper Korean opponent, but a way weaker foreigner and vice versa.
This is pretty bad.

Also it creates credibility issues for the global ladder.

MAKE MM GLOBAL AGAIN.
+ or - 300 mmr (or more) is kind of a hilariously large range for most games that use the strict 1500 centered elo system.

I really don't understand how a 1600-1800 player is having to wait in queues long enough to be hitting E/F level opponents in the first place at prime time NA hours. Isn't that still a fairly wide range of the bellcurve? I mean sure, you queue a foreign server during dead hours and you're at the systems mercy, but why does matchmaking feel so lacking during hours when the playerbase isn't tiny?
Until there is a fairly large player pool (i'd say at least a few hundred thousand) you can only have 2 of these 3 criteria:

1. Find matches fast.
2. Find closest skill level.
3. Find good latency.

Only 2. And because you guys are so vehemently against waiting more than 15 seconds to find a match and complain so heavily about 80ms latency, you are sacrificing finding close skill level. that's all there is to it.

08/16/2018 06:58 AMPosted by KaboomBaby
prime time NA hours.

Because "Prime Time NA hours" is only a few hundred people and most of them aren't laddering, they're playing custom maps. People simply do not play this game that much anymore in NA, and it's because they much prefer easier games.

I find it extremely ironic that back in the late 80s and 90s, Japanese game produces were scared to send their games to the West because they thought westerners would complain the games are too hard yet by western standards at the time their games were quite easy. Now they have created a self-fullfuling prophecy where most Western gamers don't want hard games.
08/16/2018 02:45 AMPosted by totaln00b
Does anybody know how mich difference in MMR Blizzard allows? What was the biggest MMR difference you've encountered so far?

Also, as Nostra pointed out to, could it be that there are simply not enough players online at the same time to ensure that equally skilled people are being matched?

Last but not least, even if they don't solve it, it would at least be very helpful to see the opponent's MMR in the loading screen of the match so that one can get a better idea of how the match could go (wrong) :-)
The biggest difference i had was SIX HUNDRED mmr. Apparently 100 is supposed to be like a 66% chance for the bigger mmr to win so...yeah...