SC:R vs Starcraft Vanilla?

General Discussion
Never asked this question here. I'm curious. Which one do you guys prefer and why?
"Starcraft Vanilla" usually refers to the original Starcraft without the Brood War expansion. Starcraft Remastered can play both Brood War and Vanilla.

Are you asking if we prefer playing without the Brood War expansion or whether we prefer the old graphics and other features from before Remastered?
09/10/2018 02:13 PMPosted by HyperTurtle
"Starcraft Vanilla" usually refers to the original Starcraft without the Brood War expansion. Starcraft Remastered can play both Brood War and Vanilla.

Are you asking if we prefer playing without the Brood War expansion or whether we prefer the old graphics and other features from before Remastered?
I'm asking whether you prefer the old graphics and features from before the Remaster.
No, Remastered is better, except in a few cases.
09/10/2018 03:15 PMPosted by ShyFX
I'm asking whether you prefer the old graphics and features from before the Remaster.

The next time I play through the campaigns I'm probably going to use the old graphics. The new character portraits look a little too dark and angry and the interlude art doesn't really add anything. So I prefer just sticking with viewing the story the way I remember it.

Playing online I prefer the new graphics and widescreen with better sound and the dynamic lighting effects. I'm finding myself mostly playing with friends in custom matches like in the old days as the ladder opponents I get matched against are always way more skilled than me no matter how low my MMR drops. I'm doing some research and practicing but I don't know when I'll be ready to actually win more than a couple ladder matches.

I definitely appreciate how much better things work online(once they finished touching things up). It's really great not to have to change my firewall settings for port 6112 anytime I get a new IP address! It's also nice not having to mess with the Registry or Windows Explorer to avoid weird color issues.

I haven't found any use for cloud saves and haven't been interested in playing in different languages. Alternate skins for buildings and consoles is nice now and then, but I mostly play with the defaults.
Overall remastered looks good except for some unit models e.g. some protoss units are too bright or probes and DTs look way off from the original. SD mode in Remastered looks awful so I never played with that. It kind of forces you to buy the game. Though in 1.16.1 old graphics on CRT/or 640x480 native screen look also perfect to me, but the only choice you have is either LAN with friends via Hamachi or ICCUP which is mostly dead.
Overall remastered is better but many of the original unit potrait videos are superior (less cartoony)
Is it normal that I kinda like the old graphics more over the new HD ones? I find the experience playing on 1.16.1 to be more enjoyable than on 1.22.0 with the Remaster. I like the new sprites in HD as well, but I just find the game to be more enjoyable on 1.16.1 despite the HD graphics.
I don't like some things of SCR : some death animations like tank's, SCV's, goliath's.. and some new sounds like Zealot's death. Portraits animations seem to have less framerate than in SC1.
A lot of the new art misses the mark in my opinion. Some assets don't quite capture the feel of the original and many of the portraits are just completely different. The Zergling I was especially disappointed in. I wish as a compromise we could at least play with the old graphics in widescreen... Regardless, I continue to use the classic graphics.
I like new better beside audio. There the old version is better because in new the same german Raynor speaker did make him from a cool funny cowboy to a pissed on bored man. Whole sentences are missing from him in the german and france version. The Marines got not really fit in new too.
Recently I made a comparison about things that can be done in scr but not in sc1.16, to evaluate the 2. (I'm not sure if scr lovers will like it!)
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/brood-war/537862-things-i-can-do-with-free-scr-but-not-with-116