2019 priorities

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 9 Next
[P1] Racepicking

what this one will be? like picking the matchup? ZvZ, ZvP, ZvT In search engine?
12/18/2018 08:04 PMPosted by p0tnik
[P1] Racepicking

what this one will be? like picking the matchup? ZvZ, ZvP, ZvT In search engine?

Someone people would like to have the option to press the RANK button and then based on the race that the system finds have a preset of race , for instance, they want to avoid zvz, or always be terran if its vs protoss etc..

This logic makes good sense, we had a discussion about it early this year and i have to admit i learned a lot from other people about this regard. I think is fair that this option to be implemented.

The logic behind this is that well... in old Blizzard servers and ICCUP fish brain clan etc well... they only had custom games, and that is the way it was. People that where pretty active back then want to "fell" that the RANK system works kind of the same.

But i disagree...

The reason why i dont want this to be the case personally is that i think RANK is a new thing... a brand new shining thing, if you get zvz tvt or pvp well so be it... if you want to train an specific match then so be it also..but use custom games.

What i was saying in my long hated threads people dislike but i still post always is that i thing 2 facts can help:

1). Make a random option that is Non-Blind, meaning that people will chose ar andom race but tell the other player what race this is.

2). Make racepicking an option that people have to turn on MANUALLY, and if you encounter someone that has accepted this also then you can racepick with him, but not with people like me that like the fairness and "open world felling" of RANK as it is right now, plus we already have custom games, why make rank the same as custom games or tournaments? (where aparently you can chose race as ive been told several times)
Any custom colors in games? I miss the large palette of player colors.
Thank you for the update Grant! As for the issue with disconnecting from battle.net for no readily apparent reason, I am one of the people who experience this frequently (like every 30 minutes or so on average). If there's anything I can do to work with you to get this issue solved, let me know.
Consolidation of Gateways -- that means like, removing USEast and just making USWest a single, centralized "U.S." server, right?

Almost nobody plays on East (although that used to be the opposite - nobody played on West prior to the Remaster/re-update) anymore and it just kinda splinters off the NA playerbase pointlessly. The game isn't as popular as it was before, we don't need 2 US Servers.

Also, thanks so much for "abort game start if someone leaves during countdown" being on the radar - I've had to re-make games so much because some flipflopper decided to back out at the last second.

EDIT: PLEASE add the alternate player colors back (cyan, black, pink, etc..) without needing EUD, we miss the variety haha
Hi Grant,

Screw video blogs! Just participate here once a week. :) I wanted to stop by to wish you and your team a happy holiday and to say "thank you", not so much for your work -because, you know, it's your job ^^- but for putting up with the negativity and staying positive and constructive. SCBW was unplayable on modern systems before the remaster, and you guys brought it back. You kept the game alive, that's quite some contribution to the games legacy imho. Good job.
I'm fine with allowing race-picking but it would be nice if it had separate MMRs from the main ladder.
Mac editor please.
I like everything on the list so far (except x64 that's necessary evil).
12/19/2018 02:28 AMPosted by TT1
I'm fine with allowing race-picking but it would be nice if it had separate MMRs from the main ladder.

Hey you mean that your solution for allowing racepicking would be making 2 diferent MMR? that would mean having 3 1v1 mmr?:

• custom games
  • Non racepicking MMR?
  • Racepicking MMR?
  • is that what you mean?, if so i think that is a little to convoluted dont you think? i mean the fact that people can chose race is not that traumatic, the only thing that i would hate is for RANK to mirror what the old Legacy (iccup/fish/brain), why it has to?, why to make everything new exactly the same it was back then ?. just leave RANK as it is... you pick a race en fight period, you don't get to dodge mirror matches or only train your best matches.

Yet your solution for MMR might work... but i dont think dividing should be necessary really.
    12/19/2018 01:35 AMPosted by Sato
    Consolidation of Gateways -- that means like, removing USEast and just making USWest a single, centralized "U.S." server, right?

that is exactly what they mean.. so first of all for anyone reading you must understand that "gateways" or "servers" as we call them they are just glorified way to get a list of games, stats and chat. They have nothing to do with how people connect once the game starts.

The original reasons why merging the servers was a good idea are this:

• It makes everything simpler, you just press multiplayer and you are done
  • So many desolated servers like east, asia etc
  • The player pool is small for Rank and Custom games
  • Having a global ladder sounds like a nice idea (is probably not)
  • Why people are against the merging of servers:

• Koreans have a nice "no lag" ecosystem which will be hurt by this, because suddenly people from places like bolivia (me) will join their custom games and be in their RANK waiting list and that will force Turn Rate 8 or 10 on them.
  • As i talked with korean people about this they dont like the idea of having foreigners chatting on german, russian, english, spanish on their main chats. One of the reason a lot of people in korea like having a different server is because well... is a place where you can talk in your language and is big enough of a game there it fells like "owned by korea" which it actually is
  • so the solutions for this are simple to think, yet hard to implement, really complicated and is it actually worth the time and effort from the dev team?:

• merge all of the servers but keep "hidden region tags" on people that join for certain regions so people can filter them if they wish. This meaning filter them from chat and game list or RANK.
  • About lag in RANK give people the option to have 2 RANK modes: "wide search" "narrow search", the first one meaning search anyone in the world the second one well... search me only people that are close to me and have a better possibility of giving me better TR
  • about VPN etc? well nothing you can do about it.
    I appreciate all the detail you went into. It's also been great to see more engagement with people on the forums.

One major thing I'd like to see is more shortcuts for interacting with other players. In the channels you can right-click a name to get options for friending or ignoring the player. You can't right-click the player name in your match history. And in-game you have to use the proper chat command while knowing the player's exact name. Having more alternatives to commands like /f or /i would be a great QoL improvement.
    Rank search options would suit everybody.

1) Prefer good latency (wider MMR range, closer region)
    2) Prefer fair match (closer MMR sacrificing latency and more global search)
    Thanks for sharing. My thoughts on racepicking are that the number of ZvZ games on ladder are gonna get way too low with racepicking allowed. Zergs hoping to also play ZvZ on the ladder are not gonna get enough games in that MU. Racepickers still get matched in their preferred matchups as is now but my prediction is Zergs hoping to get ZvZ aren't gonna get as much ZvZ with racepicking allowed, it being the most dodged match up n all. I could be wrong tho, a PTR test could tell.
    12/19/2018 05:06 AMPosted by The100YOU
    12/19/2018 02:28 AMPosted by TT1

Hey you mean that your solution for allowing racepicking would be making 2 diferent MMR? that would mean having 3 1v1 mmr?:

• custom games
  • Non racepicking MMR?
  • Racepicking MMR?
  • is that what you mean?, if so i think that is a little to convoluted dont you think? i mean the fact that people can chose race is not that traumatic, the only thing that i would hate is for RANK to mirror what the old Legacy (iccup/fish/brain), why it has to?, why to make everything new exactly the same it was back then ?. just leave RANK as it is... you pick a race en fight period, you don't get to dodge mirror matches or only train your best matches.

Yet your solution for MMR might work... but i dont think dividing should be necessary really.

Custom has no MMR, it's just wins and losses. Race-picking matchmaking would basically work the same way as the current matchmaking system, except you would just pick a certain MU (ZvT / ZvZ / ZvP / PvP / PvZ / PvT / TvT / TvZ / TvP) and queue up. We could also have a drop down menu with all the different MU MMRs in our profile.

You can then create a drop down menu on the ranking page for all the MU specific MMRs, on top of having the main ladder rankings (which is the 1 we have now, random matchups).
    Bit unfortunate that nothing could have been done to consolidate the friends list.

It woulda been nice if we were able to get cross region notifications regardless of what region we log in via the app. Launcher limitations i suppose =/.
    Relaxed Input-

Take my money! So many times stuff doesn't get hot keyed because my mouse button and a key is being pushed at the same time, it's a waste of time trying to re-set my hot keys.

Consolidated Gateway-

This mean merging of servers or improving performance? Don't play with my emotions dev! Good stuff, good stuff indeed.

Watch Replay Button Post Game-

My personal favorite. Like to constantly analyze my gameplay, nice to know that it can now be done at a click of a button once the game is over. It also makes perfect sense. Sure the hardcore fans will appreciate this.

ABORT GAME START IF A PLAYER LEAVES-

Thank god! This happens wayyyyyyy too often. Literally every other game and sometimes multiple games in a row.

TEAM MATCHMAKING-

This would be so much better if you guys decided to add a pool of maps and not restrict it to BGH. Including Fastest maps would be a blessing, IDK if you guys are aware but a huge portion of the population are fastest players.

These are dedicated daily streamers with a solid fan base https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-okJdotaXPlzivRzHFqzuA
    https://www.youtube.com/user/doejuly?pbjreload=10
    This guy occasionally plays fastest.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdtV_sB8WUWo-P_q3OwNfcw

Each bringing in at least 3k live viewers through their stream and 30k+ views per video they upload(which are uploaded daily). Clearly fastest deserves a spot in the map pool.

The only other thing I wish was in that list was " Contemplating adding a market for custom UI//THEMES." Helps support the team and I get a cool theme. Win/win situation.

Thanks for the updates guys. Looking forward to some of these and hopefully they are implemented. I know it's not guaranteed but those are reasonable updates. Either way if we could at least get half of those that would still be nice. Happy Holidays!!!
    I like all of these, but one I would like to add is to fix the bug that resets my mouse settings, language filter, and other manual settings. Low threat compared to all the others, but something worth mentioning.
    this is awesome
    Sending pings to other obs during obs mode would be super cool but I don't know if that's possible. It would great to be able to point at stuff on the map.

Also being able to see people's views on minimap during obs would be great. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Might be a big here.

Thanks for all the hard work! Loving RM.