2019 priorities

General Discussion
Prev 1 6 7 8 9 Next
If growth of the player base is priority one then imo 2v2 ladder is exponentially more important.

But if growth was the priority Blizz wouldn't feature a map in KSL with what looks like a massive swastika in the center of it. (In the way of an Eddy map)

... seriously WTF lol T.T
01/29/2019 11:13 PMPosted by Strider
Why race-picking on ladder right now would be bad:

Currently as is, 100% of the foreign player base can play against each other with mmr as the only dictating variable. (player chooses to exit game that's on them)

If race-picking is implemented some players might choose P with ZvP. While another P could choose ZvZ. Therefore these 2 players would never meet on ladder even within the mmr range thus creating a 2nd variable.

Therefore the small 100% player pool would be reduced by between 10-30%.

No. If they add racepicking the way that seems most people agree on, then it wouldn't have an impact at all. All players would still be able to play against all others, with the racepickers having to chose one against each race, and also one for vs random/uncompatible racepickers.

Once the player pool grows significantly I believe race-picking would be a good feature to add. But right now it would probably do more harm than good, catering to the benefit of a very small and biased subgroup.

Way to cut out this part dumbo.
------------
Point is, right now there are 2 choices to make to start playing ranked..
1) choose race
2) veto maps

To add race picking you'll probably be at least doubling that and complicating things for a new player to the game trying ranked play. All for the benefit of catering to a very small (possibly 10-20% at best) biased subgroup.

But if you think that doubling or worse the complexity and barrier to entry to ranked play is a fine price to pay for new players so ya'll elitist race pickers are catered too, So be it.

The US congress have been making that same trade for decades, look where that lead.
01/30/2019 07:38 PMPosted by Strider

Once the player pool grows significantly I believe race-picking would be a good feature to add. But right now it would probably do more harm than good, catering to the benefit of a very small and biased subgroup.

Way to cut out this part dumbo.
------------
Point is, right now there are 2 choices to make to start playing ranked..
1) choose race
2) veto maps

To add race picking you'll probably be at least doubling that and complicating things for a new player to the game trying ranked play. All for the benefit of catering to a very small (possibly 10-20% at best) biased subgroup.

But if you think that doubling or worse the complexity and barrier to entry to ranked play is a fine price to pay for new players so ya'll elitist race pickers are catered too, So be it.

The US congress have been making that same trade for decades, look where that lead.

Unless the developers makes things complicated for no reason you should still be able to just chose race like you do now, and then have a sub-menu or something that you can chose matchups from if you pick racepicking instead of just zerg/terran/protoss/random. I wouldn't say that makes it very complicated at all. I'll also add that I'm not a racepicker, I have barely ever touched anything but zerg, but I don't see why racepicking shouldn't be an option, and every argument against seems to just make problems of nothing or doesn't make sense at all. I also left out that section because it was irrelevant for my answer.
For me it has always been death simple to solve, add Racepicking but not as a default mode for EVERYONE, make it a simple toggle ON/OFF button, and if 2 players with that option ON find themselves in RANK then it will work, otherwise it wont.

RANK is perfect as it is, but this addition doesn't hurt anyone. Older Kespa tournaments allowed this "racepicking" and people are requesting it becasue they are old players. But newest players like me dont like the idea.

It could mess the RANK experience, i would hate to have 3 or 4 zvz in a row for instance... just because the race was changed at the last second and the "searching" algorithm was not able to be fast enough.

Just leave RANK as it is.. we have already custom games to chose and practice particular matchups. Add the "Racepicking toggle" for those that like this idea.

Also, this is a waste of time for developers, they should concentrate on things that are way more relevant.
Damn, these updates look really good!! I can't wait for all of this to happen :)
Kind of wish relaxed input could somehow go live before the rest of the t1 bunch.

Game is actually going to respond to inputs differently, feels t0 (assuming it's not totally nightmarish to implement) to get out of the way rather than waiting on major client addressing overhauls and the like.

But video games are fun either way.
Add "Report" button from the ladder rank list.
It's a new season and of course there's few guys who are using gas walk(stacking workers and attacking objects at the same time.)
darK-_-[hhk] is currently abusing it.

Also, sometimes opening up "Option" takes a long time to open. Can we open it faster just like the old engine of StarCraft? Because I wanted to change a little bit of settings and then it took like 20 seconds, and I couldn't do anything in ladder games. 20 seconds long is crucial in any competitive games.
Racepicking will destroy ladder, some match ups will extinct.The game will be transformed in a favouritable match up simulation.Everybody will racepick, i m not a racepicker but if a scumbag doesnt want to face me fair and square with the same race i ll defend myself from zerg flood and i ll racepick too.You cant put racepicking in a game with unbalanced mus.
This doesnt make any sense the only argument of racepickers is that it was like that for 20 years, so switching race to countdown existed for 20 years should we implant it too?
01/31/2019 03:29 PMPosted by KaboomBaby
Kind of wish relaxed input could somehow go live before the rest of the t1 bunch.

Game is actually going to respond to inputs differently, feels t0 (assuming it's not totally nightmarish to implement) to get out of the way rather than waiting on major client addressing overhauls and the like.

But video games are fun either way.

I agree, this needs to be implemented ASAP. I wish they would also quickly add the feature to cancel starting the game if a player quits during the countdown.
Replays still get corrupted. :(
12/17/2018 03:26 PMPosted by Grant Davies

RACEPICKING
It’s a pretty hot topic now that we’ve put work against the prevention of ladder dodging, and there are two sides that have opinions we need to listen to and decide on. This is an investigation task where we take community feedback and decide how to approach this thorny topic.

I'm a returning vet to this game and I want to have random as it is. Random let's players to see all 3 race without switching every single time. Also, trying new or old builds. There's no disadvantage to players if they face a person going random since random isn't a "race" to begin with because random is a "dice rolll". Players can still see which race it is by scouting. A person going random should not be punish by removing it all because some or many players are lazy to scout once games begins. Random makes players to scout which is a healthy thing in the game. Like punishing players who go greedy builds.

Race picking will be chaos because a lot of matches ups will not be seen or played. Favoritism shouldn't be in here since discourage will be very high. I get it younger players don't like this because they don't understand it but it's not a game changer. Younger players have to deal with many stuff but some of those are related to the game like control of emotions, conflict of interest, to say a few which impacts these topics decisions for blazzard. There should be no force to pick a race all because some or many players doesn't want to play it.

Starcraft 2 had a similar like this which was who you can ignore a player by choice by not facing them in a match by always skipping them. The results was chaos because one pro couldn't face anyone since all have ignore that person to do game matches. This makes so a player can't play the game and can't get practices. The devs quickly revert the change since it's put heavily disadvantage to players. By adding race pick to do by force will have the same effects. It will grant players of abuse power to pick a race for a player.

This should be a friendly game that players can pick their race or go random to play matches up. Younger players have to learn the ropes and it's most likely they don't like random at all so some might want it remove. By learning players can improve and overcome issues. No one is going to win all the time. Not showing race at loading screen is a trivial matter that all players can scout once games start.

If this is going through then it should be fair to know if the person is a pro, disconnect many times, a player should watch out for, and etc to players who are doing ladder. I'm sure none of what I've stated in this last paragraph here will go through because it has nothing to do with the match.
I dont suggest random for beginners,not only you dont learn the game with random but you destroy your opponents experience too, your opponent will do only one safe strategy vs random, for example lets say you play vs a protoss as random(terran) your opponent will never do 12nexus cuz he will play only his one boring safe useless strategy and you ll never know how to counter 12nexus as terran etc.
02/02/2019 06:24 AMPosted by Wise
Players can still see which race it is by scouting

Have to disagree.

Sending out a drone to scout is far more costly than sending out a probe. And sending out an overlord is slow and pretty tricky when you don't know if they have marines (and can thus kill the lord). The scouting pattern for the lord would need to differ based on opponent's race.

If the tournaments in Korea don't allow random, that speaks volumes really. Gives the players a chance to practice vs the race they are going to play. It just feels "fairer" that everyone knows in advance what race they are playing.

Race picking does tend to give weaker players a chance by using pre-planned cheese strategies etc. It's pretty hard to cheese a random opponent (still possible, yes).

Also been playing this game since early 2000s. Not bashing the old system because I played it for years.

TEAM MATCHMAKING
We haven’t decided yet which mode we’ll roll out first (2v2? 3v3 BGH?)

Here's my opinion on this topic

12/11/2018 10:04 AMPosted by Stampelle
I follow with an appeal to the sc1 team taking into account the amazing numbers (over 65k) of modern days Pro League MPL that still lacking of the refreshing 2v2 matches (vanilla PL) so adding a 2v2 ladder might push the MPL organization to add the 2v2 format into the tourney.

Also team play can add a whole new layer (and player base) into the game especially in modern days where we have most of the major e-sports that are team-based.
I demand social chat channel upgrade. Like a whole new chat channel UI, more based on the old 1.16.1 look and feel.
01/25/2019 03:01 AMPosted by 우끼끼끽
01/24/2019 08:05 AMPosted by DVillain
The only thing I'd really like is to have some sort of way to choose the difficulty/archetype of the CPUs in custom games.
Other than that the game is golden atm and can only improve.

I agree.

There was a female streamer who started learning Starcraft a few months ago. Terran player 'Light' taught her directly EVERYDAY, but she could not win at Battlenet until a month later.

I think the problem is that there isn't enough tutorials in this game, but the bigger problem is that it takes too much time to beat a person.

We need a different level AI who can be a sparring partner until begginers can win against people.

I agree and that's why it's so important to make friends and have practice partners in sc1 instead of people that laugh in your face.
There's no disadvantage to players if they face a person going random since random isn't a "race" to begin with because random is a "dice rolll". Players can still see which race it is by scouting

true that, but it would be nice to have an option called "randomize", it will just pick a random race, just that this time the opponent will see your race. Dont take Random away...that would be dumb, Random is the "fourth race" if you will, just add a way for people to "randomize" the race it they will like it so.

is really not that important really...
02/05/2019 03:43 PMPosted by The100YOU
There's no disadvantage to players if they face a person going random since random isn't a "race" to begin with because random is a "dice rolll". Players can still see which race it is by scouting

true that, but it would be nice to have an option called "randomize", it will just pick a random race, just that this time the opponent will see your race. Dont take Random away...that would be dumb, Random is the "fourth race" if you will, just add a way for people to "randomize" the race it they will like it so.

is really not that important really...

just trow a dice you idiot jezz