Playing on Korea Server - High Ping

General Discussion
Hi all...

I play a decent amount of custom games, money maps/super/fastest etc. Back in the "good" old days of turn rate 16, I could generally get away with playing on Korean server, since the network requirements were not that high.

Since the implementation of turn rate 24, however, I can't. And by can't, I mean, they are extremely selective in banning people that aren't 4 or 5 green bars. No big deal, I get it, a laggy game is garbage.

Is there any workaround for this? Perhaps a VPN or tunneling service that can reduce ping to KR servers that someone knows about (and works well)? Are there any plans in the making to improve cross-region gaming? I feel really stuck on USW right now. The fastest games are not fun in the slightest anymore, and I just generally long for the days of epic 1 hour Super games with drops, proper defense, and every unit under the sun.

Thanks!
Once upon a time we had this amazing program called mca launcher.

Nothing can help you now. Sorry.
02/03/2019 06:29 PMPosted by UnlimitedXP
Once upon a time we had this amazing program called mca launcher.

Nothing can help you now. Sorry.

Sad. thanks for the response anyways.

Here's to hoping one day the devs can figure it out.
I saw IIRC some topics on TL where people played using VPN, try the search bar. I was thinking about myself to try some VPN but like you don't know which to use, where to start and is it worth it.

P.S.:
Is selecting region Asia while you log on to Battle.net app affects game? And doing same before launching SC:R?
VPN will fix this. Mudfish is easy to use and really cheap, $5 will cover you for a year+ probably. There's a guide on teamliquid if you google.
Good job Kaboom. Your style very desijion.
02/07/2019 10:53 AMPosted by KaboomBaby
VPN will fix this. Mudfish is easy to use and really cheap, $5 will cover you for a year+ probably. There's a guide on teamliquid if you google.

Thank you so much, this seems really exactly what I'm looking for. Can't wait to see if this works.
Well i have same problem and i play with some other guy and they not lag. But when i meet some guy just tell it lag and they ban me from the game and they still lag them so i just don't care about what them say.
How using a VPN going to help...? You still live far away. All you did was add yet another route for your connection to take before completing. Aka more latency. Which translate to a higher ping which when put in simple terms means it doesn't fix your problem is just makes you lag more. VPN is only good for defeating region locked servers.
02/17/2019 06:00 AMPosted by PsYChiC
How using a VPN going to help...? You still live far away. All you did was add yet another route for your connection to take before completing. Aka more latency. Which translate to a higher ping which when put in simple terms means it doesn't fix your problem is just makes you lag more. VPN is only good for defeating region locked servers.

it's very useful,you should def try it.
A VPN to Korea will show four or five green bars, but the game will be so laggy everyone will leave to remake it. After a while they'll catch on and ban you from the lobby. A VPN can sometimes lower your ping, but if you are outside of Korea you cannot realistically play on TR24, even if you set latency to Extra High. If you set it to Extra High, everyone will leave.

Source: Used to do it.
A VPN will never lower your ping. It doesn't erase any hops it adds more routing which takes more time to get the information there and back. Which translates to higher ping time aka higher latency. There are no exceptions.
VPN wont fix being from South America but if you're from a country with reasonable proximity to Korea with decent internet (like the OP claims) then you can absolutely use it to hop into KR lobbies. Some games might have leavers, some wont. Normal TR 16 is about the lower end of what Koreans will play.

You are using it to hide the red bars at lobby screen, not to undermine the basic principles of p2p gaming (which are made slightly more complex than your description with the existence of proxy servers/routing in SC:R that could potentially have their own set of issues) but.... yea.