Things that make me very sad

General Discussion
Things that make me very sad

1) Very low player base.

At mornings EU has less than 100 players, it's even less/equal to iCCup thus it makes playing ladder impossible. I know many people are sleeping, go to work and etc. but I don't think that's only because of it. People just don't wanna play this game, the launch hype is gone. I have nothing to criticize or to rant but I just want to shout out: how about being more active? Where's your passion for this game? I personally think playing couple games with coffee before work is refreshing me, like doing exercises. I don't know, maybe devs should implement more rewards, maybe achievement system. So fellas, pls get your lazy bu.tt to ladder and fight! <3

2) Noob bashing.

Please, pretty please stop joining "noob only" titled games if you got more than 200 APM (not talking about 300 APM scundrels). You are ruining new players experience and force them to quit. In future you will end up playing vs. no one or better player who will smash you. That's unhealthy. "Git gud" behavior won't make them stay for too long because this is the hardest to master game.

3) Map hackers

It's more common on US servers and playing vs. them makes me the saddest person. Antihack system should be improved.

These are my free thoughts as today. Thanks for listening. GL&HF.
APM means nothin. There is a zylion of noobs with 300apm.
02/07/2019 04:57 AMPosted by poegim
APM means nothin. There is a zylion of noobs with 300apm.

It matter most of the times in sc1 especially if you're a new player or kind of casual. This is a highly mechanic-based game, speed>strategy
The generation that made bw what it was, grew up and has responsibilites. BW needs serious dedication to even survive in the lowest ranks placements and my guess is that many dedicated players (including me ) dont have enough time anymore to spend, in order to be competitive here. Also since the game is highy stressful, there are many alternatives even on videogames for one to spend his time after a day of work. This game needs new blood asap but it lacks the appeal and exposure and most importanly, the proper training tools in order to get competitive. Also the updates on this game are slow, and that doesnt really help as well. Also you cant really tell people what to do because there is no real point. Whether there are more active or less bashful, it 100% depends on the game itself. Speaking for myself, I log in less frequently in the servers to play ranked and I find myself chilling out and playing against ai even though it doesnt pose any challenge.
Blizzard needs to take your troubles seriously.
Hey, listen.

The Starcraft 1on1 game is too hard to enjoy lightly. Moreover, if you are not Korean, you will always feel the lack of learning materials. Because most of the strategies have been developed in Korea

But even with learning materials, RTS games are basically difficult, so beginners don't learn games as they study.

In Korea, there were few people who enjoyed 1on1 in the past. Most enjoyed 3on3 or 4on4 games or use map settings. That's why team matchmaking had to be released earlier. Most of the people who used to enjoy Starcraft in the past were team players.

The reason why I started 1on1 was to compete with friends with similar skills. If there were no friends around who enjoyed Starcraft, I joined Clan and enjoyed the Clan game. Players in this Clan later became professional gamers.

But now the Clan system is down. It's hard to make friends who enjoy 1on1.

I thank Blizzard for giving me a remaster. But Starcraft has to be improved. I hope that you will be able to enjoy Starcraft with great interest by this year.
I feel compelled to chime in because really, what people said in here really speaks to me.

I can vouch those of us who have grown up and have now taken more responsibilities in life than just beating video games whenever we came home from grade school. I love StarCraft but there's just simply too many other games I have in the backburner that I have yet to play. I want to play them because if I don't, then they're basically a wasted investment that could have been put into something else.

It also doesn't help that time management in adulthood is very difficult as well. Whenever I come home from my 8-10 hour day, I'm not thinking about stressing my hands any further by playing a game that also does that. I'm just thinking about how tired I am and how much rest I'll get before I have to work another 8-10 hours the next day.

My passion for this game never disappeared. It's always been there. It's just in the far-far backburner of priorities in my life thus far and I'm sure it's the case for most others in their 20s-30s are. But laddering? I strongly disagree on that. Laddering has an air of pressure surrounding it and unless it's what you're banking your livelihood on, people shouldn't be told to ladder and it should be up to them.

But I agree with the "git gud" behavior. I never really understood that. I'll confess I did it myself a few times but I realized that it's pure elitism and nobody's going to want to learn from someone that's stuck on their high horse laughing at those below. Instead, we should be more empathetic to newbies and offer them teaching tools that will make learning the game a not so intimidating task.

With all that being said, I sincerely love this game and want to see it do well. But in such a tough, tough competitive market today, it's one tall task to revitalize StarCraft into the titan it once was. It's not impossible but all of us needs to step up more and create exposure for this game if we really want it to succeed and attract new players.

So I have a suggestion. When you talk to potentially new players about StarCraft, make it personable. Don't go into hardcore mechanics they'll likely don't understand such as "Scourge Cloning" or "Erasers." Rather, talk to them about what you like about the game. Go down to the bare basics. Do you just like how funny the voice acting can be? Do you like how creepy the Zerg are? Do you enjoy how the tanks can just blow things up from 50 feet away with that "BOOM" sound effect? Do you enjoy how cool the Protoss look? Talk to them about your experience when you learned about the lore and what you thought was awesome to learn about it.

Tell them based on what they tell you about their preferences which race they'd most likely play. Tell them what their favorite units might be and why. To make the game more appealing to them, tap into their likes and see if you can connect StarCraft to them. That way, they'll feel a want to play naturally because they want to learn about the races and what everything does.

The idea behind it is to create a relatively stress-free way of introducing StarCraft to a potential newbie that doesn't involve all the hardcore stuff. It worked for a friend of mine and now we can both reliably ask on each other to have some fun times in the Korprulu Sector since I just talked to him about the game's lore.
Like this texts read read want more.
This your "protection" on your text really no needed ... its not real protection its error protection your mind ... but when I read that me its confused and but you send very many texts is a have not bad ... but you understand..
O'cose don't worry that "..." or ".." is down.
Thing is, most people just want to play the most up to date game. Which is starcraft 2. Starcraft Brood War is always gonna be less popular because it's harder, older and clunkier than starcraft 2.
02/09/2019 11:33 PMPosted by Bloodrush
Thing is, most people just want to play the most up to date game. Which is starcraft 2. Starcraft Brood War is always gonna be less popular because it's harder, older and clunkier than starcraft 2.

Well yeah sure, but I think if this remaster was a more complete package, Im sure people would have join as well and made bw more popular
cool
02/10/2019 07:09 AMPosted by Masterpanos
02/09/2019 11:33 PMPosted by Bloodrush

Well yeah sure, but I think if this remaster was a more complete package, Im sure people would have join as well and made bw more popular

It won't happen. Starcraft already has the reputation of being one of the hardest game to get good at and with brood war being known as being even harder than 2 casual players are far too intimidated to actually play.
"Small player base"

All valid points, but this is caused by the black minimap, 12 unit selection limit (literally no reason for this, you can still EASILY deathball by pressing 1 and 2 after another and a-moving) and the simply bad and annoying pathing, which serves no purpose

Back in the day, blizzard called out players if they contradicted themselves with their words and what they actually do, but not anymore, activision-blizzard will continue to only charge 20$ for HD mods while ignoring that this is the "revival" the game gets with better graphics: https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=today%205-y&geo=US&q=starcraft%20remastered
"Small player base"

All valid points, but this is caused by the black minimap, 12 unit selection limit (literally no reason for this, you can still EASILY deathball by pressing 1 and 2 after another and a-moving) and the simply bad and annoying pathing, which serves no purpose.

Back in the day, blizzard called out players if they contradicted themselves with their words and what they actually do, but not anymore, activision-blizzard will continue to only charge 20$ for HD mods while ignoring that this is the "revival" the game gets with better graphics: https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=today%205-y&geo=US&q=starcraft%20remastered
02/11/2019 11:43 AMPosted by Bloodrush
02/10/2019 07:09 AMPosted by Masterpanos

It won't happen. Starcraft already has the reputation of being one of the hardest game to get good at and with brood war being known as being even harder than 2 casual players are far too intimidated to actually play.

Well that might be true. Sc2 is more "playable" than BW. But the wall of no intergrated training tools, that exists is in my opinion the main thing that keeps people from not touching bw. Im pretty sure that even the newest generations of gamers are up for a challenging game as long as there are provided tools/tutorials to get them in the action properly. Dark souls franchise and games like cuphead are evidence that there are people that want to "go harder" than the others. Also there is the word of mouth and the BW's history that can make a player to choose BW instead of SC2. I have stressed it in the past and I will keep stressing it, is the fact that, no matter what the long term fans say, this "manual training" progress is obsolete in 2019. Its too vague, too confusing and frankly, quite an unesessary hassle for a newcomer. Just try and get in the mindset of a gamer that wants to get into the game and you will understand me. Brood war is the best esport out there and it needs a real fcking good ai in order to be fully modernized. I heard there are some plans to intergrate custom made BWAPI ai in the remastered in the far future, but again in my opinion it wont make much difference, since installing and using a custom ai is still too much of an effort to make. I guess, on other news, sc2 is getting tested with the deepmind ai, so that might be eventually beneficial for bw as well. Lets just hope that the company itself will still be up and running and fullfill their to-do list, after their cancerous relationship with the !@#$ty activision and with the greedy, scandalous CEO's that only want to make some good money without giving a damn about their workers and quality.
Let's be honest here.
Many players who played this game are well in their 20s and 30s with adult responsibilities.
The game is over 21 years old! I am actually surprised there are still a number of dedicated people who still play this game on multiplayer.
As for ladder, there are those who play privately with friends or prefer playing UMS (since it's less stressful) or even singleplayer.
The snowflake mentality will deter newcomers from playing this "archaic" game since they will not be able to handle the "limitations" that this game brings.
Activision Blizzard, enough said.
I wish that the remastered and original version could play against eachother. I Have an old PC and original broad war cds. Why would I go remastered
I really do fear the future of this game as well. I remember when I first discovered this game on N64, I would always play with my brother whether 2v2 with bots or against each other. It was a lot of fun back then, but the game didn't age well. in 2012, I discovered Starcraft 1 on PC, but I didn't bother getting it, because I thought running it on PC would be hard back then, and since I didn't know that there was an online scene still going, I passed. In 2015, I found out there were still people playing this, so in 2016 I got my hand on the game, but it wasn't until 2017, I first played my online match. Till then, I just played with friends, because my friends enjoyed it as well, despite that I was much better than them.

I have been playing online for two years now, and I constantly had those moments where I was so infuriated with the game, to the point where I would quit the game for a month, only to come back to it, rinse and repeat. It got so bad at one point where I did not play one game online for 4 months, only time to time playing with Ai's on the 1.16 patch because I didn't have to wait for the Blizzard app to open. Keep in mind, that I have known Starcraft for almost 10 years and I loved during all that time in my life. So, if I can feel so angered and frustrated with game, how would a new player feel, having no personal love for the game whatsoever?
02/26/2019 09:20 PMPosted by FrostyFeet
I wish that the remastered and original version could play against eachother. I Have an old PC and original broad war cds. Why would I go remastered

I got an old PC and it can't run Remastered, so i feel your pain. Starting my job will soon but still a massive pain nonetheless.