Worker Saturation?

General Discussion
Can someone please explain what worker saturation means? Like why is it optimal to have 1-3 workers on a patch instead of more? Is it because only a few workers can mine a patch at a time or something or pathing in the game starts to effect the mining per min when more than 3 workers mine a patch?
Only one worker can mine a patch at a time. As you add more workers you get diminishing returns on the investment. Asa Terran or Protoss, you shouldn’t really have more than 2.5 per patch, although it can be okay to break this rule early in the game since you will be transferring workers to new bases.
04/13/2019 07:27 PMPosted by InkedChemist
Only one worker can mine a patch at a time. As you add more workers you get diminishing returns on the investment. Asa Terran or Protoss, you shouldn’t really have more than 2.5 per patch, although it can be okay to break this rule early in the game since you will be transferring workers to new bases.

Okay now it makes sense, but what do you mean by 2.5 per patch?
04/13/2019 08:40 PMPosted by Michael
04/13/2019 07:27 PMPosted by InkedChemist

Okay now it makes sense, but what do you mean by 2.5 per patch?

If there were ten mineral patches then at max you would want 25 workers mining those patches.
Don't know I born from Warcraft.
At start you should continously make workers because you're going to transfer (maynarde) them to your natural base and then to 3rd and so on. You don't need to be too nitpicky about workers unless you are zerg, also depends on your build order, if you want to do allin or timing attack you need to cut them. But yeah 2.5 per field is good for perfect saturation (if it's not Fastest Map lol).