Story Forum

Aug 31, 2013 What kind of stories would people enjoy? Simple question: What kind of stories do you enjoy? Less simple question: Can such a story be adapted to World of Warcraft? Really complicated and opinionated question: Would such a story be a good addition if it was adapted to Warcraft? I'll add my own (admittedly biased :) responses later.Danseis56 Aug 31, 2013
Aug 31, 2013 Official answer to what the fist pump is: Kossak's official answer to what the fist pump for Alliance is: ... The interview is huge lore questions answered nonstop, I HIGHLY recommend everyone on this forum listens to it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=osB0_0G5N8gThreeslotbag227 Aug 31, 2013
Aug 31, 2013 "Current Events" short stories I understand that Blizz does not have infinite resources, and often things have to take a back seat to game balance, and what not, and that often means that certain story elements cannot be included in the game, either for time constraints or technical limitations. To that end, I think Blizz could do well for the community, that's interested in the Lorre, by having "current event" style short stories. The stories would be short, much like the faction leader stories told earlier, but instead would focus upon some current event that either cannot be put into the game, or one that is parallel to the main events. These stories could focus on minor characters and places, and could help Blizzard to fill in all the areas of the story that are missing or vague. Examples could include: "Retaking Undercity": A short story telling about the Forsaken ousting the Kor'kron (since that won't be in game.) A story focusing upon the Argent Crusade and what exactly they are up to in this situation. A story detailing a group of Night Elves doing... something actually cool and useful. Preferably one that mentions the current state of Ashenvale. On this note, if you could choose what kind of current events short story you'd like to see, what would it be, and why?Eugiene11 Aug 31, 2013
Aug 31, 2013 Why is the Alliance even an alliance? Why is the Horde still together? The more the game progresses as an MMO, the more tortured the rationales behind the existence of these factions seem to me. Anyone else agree? The Alliance, for example. People often complain about this, in the guise of moaning about the High King position, but the High King is a symptom not a cause. It's a symptom of the fact that, at a meta level, the game is centered around having two equal, contrasting, and unified factions in opposition to one another. So the Alliance, to shuffle players where they need to be, needs to act in a unified manner just like the Horde does, or you don't really have a game. Night elf PCs need to be doing the same things as humans, dwarfs, et al. This hurts the lore because it requires the political leadership of all the constituent nations to be on the exact same page at all times. Otherwise you'd have a whole lot of little traitor elves running around helping the humans do their own thing. This is problematic because such extensive unification goes against everything that the Alliance used to be, and the way it was always written. It ends up dumbing down the writing in comparison to Warcraft III, and in particular Warcraft II. The Alliance is meant to be difficult. In Warcraft II, it was comprised of the survivors of Azeroth, the different kingdoms of Lordaeron, the Wildhammer, the high elves of Quel'Thalas, reluctant at first then motivated once their historic enemy the Amani declared for the Orcish Horde, and eventually the kingdom of Ironforge. None of the individual members particularly wanted to be there, and they were culturally and politically significantly different (though the humans and dwarfs were friendly, they were quite separate kingdoms, and the high elves were notoriously icy and distant towards both), but were driven together by necessity to form a military alliance and fight for their survival. Throughout this, the individual kingdoms never surrendered their autonomy and everything was done through various councils and group decisions of the High Command (eventually retconned to "Lothar controller it all lol"). There was significant dissension within the Alliance, and there was never a homogeneous "Alliance Nation" created. It was solely militaristic. In Warcraft III and the events preceding it, the Alliance had already crumbled after Lordaeron wished to raise Alliance wide taxes to fund the orc internment camps. Very little connected each individual kingdom to the overall agreement once there was no orcish threat, so the added economic pressure these taxes would add to already ravaged kingdoms was enough to break the whole thing. Then the scourge came and many of these kingdoms, mostly in Lordaeron, were essentially wiped out and stopped existing as independent, sovereign entities. Events continued on through the game, and eventually a temporary alliance between the night elves, Jaina's forces and the new Horde was created to fight off the demonic threat, which was successful. Once this was completed, the forces went their separate ways, though they retained some respect for one another. Fast forward to World of Warcraft... and suddenly there's an Alliance between humans, dwarfs, gnomes, and night elves that's more unified and connected than it has ever been before. This seems strange. The night elves have almost nothing in common culturally, economically, politically or in any way whatsoever to the humans and dwarfs, and they live a continent away. Their interests are almost completely unrelated, and in many ways opposed, what with the night elves' worship of nature and the dedication of the other races to industrial development and the exploitation of natural resources. The only group of humans that the night elves had interacted with at that point were Jaina's forces, yet they agree to ally with a completely different human kingdom they had barely any knowledge of. In one fell swoop Blizzard both castrated the night elves a little, since they stopped acting like themselves from Warcraft III, and totally homogenized the humans into one big group. Suddenly everyone was from Stormwind and everything belonged to the Alliance, which included our best friends the night elves, who we've barely met and have nothing in common with. The worse part is that the night elves actually have more of a connection to the New Horde, which went back to its shamanistic, nature loving roots. Apparently however, the orcs needing some lumber was enough to send the night elves to a formal, almost total alliance with a culturally, politically, religiously and geographically separate group within the space of mere years. So the new Alliance started to act in almost complete unison during a period of peace, something that had never been achieved before. And in the process Blizzard homogenized it's constituents to a high degree, making them a lot less interesting and diverse. This process has reached a peak with MoP, where the Alliance has essentially become one nation, like a federation of different states, with the High King at the top. I get coming together to stop Garrosh in MoP, but the unity started long before that, and will continue after it, when on paper very little is actually holding this thing together. I understand the members being friendly, trading, and aiding one another when there is a purpose, but what keeps them together during peace time? On paper, it should be very little. They should be growing apart, but are coming together more and more, which is far less interesting. Cont. in next post...Hmbrgr30 Aug 31, 2013
Aug 31, 2013 Stop "fist bump" nonsense, please! Seriously, Blizzard, just stop. It's not gonna work no matter what you do. These people on these forums (who you may be listening to) will never be satisfied not matter what you do. Seriously, you can't win with these forum goers. No matter what, they will find some teeny, tiny little flaw in the victory and it won't count and that you failed. Then they will whine and then the horde die hards will come out and then whitewashing on both sides will commence. Not to mention, it's a blatant admission to pandering. As Devs, you should NOT be doing that. Catering to one side or the other will only alienate players. Look at Cata, the Xpac that started this "fist bump" crap. The apparent string of horde victories only PO'ed the Alliance die hards who can't accept losses. Then you come out and say "Hey, don't worry, we'll pander to you guys in the Alliance soon." That's unprofessional and as you've seen on these forums, hasn't worked at all. Not to mention all the Horde whiners mad over the whole Xpac of MoP cause they can't accept defeats either. And now you say you've given up on the Alliance fan base. Why? Cause of a bunch of whiners that won't be satisfied until the Alliance are in charge and the Horde is completely gone. What about the Horde players that say the same thing concerning the Alliance. You may say they aren't as loud as the Allies, but that's a bold faced lie. The point of this rant is to stop trying to cater to either side and just focus on good story telling. That's what matters, not "Well, Alliance feels ignored" or "Well, we don't want to upset any Hordies". Look at Wrath. There was no extreme, or at least, blatant catering to either side storywise. And it worked. Just, please Blizzard, stop trying to pander to either side.Talcyeon112 Aug 31, 2013
Aug 31, 2013 Underlying story we are not seeing. Does anyone else think they may be influences going on that are not talked about? Like Bane and anduin being "buds" and the fact that Dezco is protecting anduin. There are angles not explored considering he's the future king and the fact that he has had these experiences. *edited for english areas from early morning no coffee yet brain*Ivyhoof25 Aug 31, 2013
Aug 30, 2013 Interview Questions You Would Like to See I have been reading a number of the 5.4 Patch Developer interviews and some of the ensuring threads - particularly the lore related ones here in the Story Forum. The interviewers never seem to ask some of the questions I would be interested in hearing answers to. So in an effort to provide feedback to the developers in the form of questions I would like to know, here are some of my questions. Feel free to add your own. Trials of the High King a) When initially announced Trials of the High King was described as an epic quest chain. What was ultimately implement in game was quite different. Can you describe the process that led to the changes? b) Did player feedback influence that process? If so, how? In retrospect, was listening to that feedback a good or bad thing? Scenarios a) How have scenarios fared as a story telling tool? Any limitations to them as a story tool that you have discovered? b) How do you chose what scenarios to do or not do? e.g. Why multiple Pandaren beer related scenarios and no Purge of the Undercity scenario? Should scenarios be more focused on lore relevant stories? Siege of Orgrimmar a) In retrospect, was it a good idea to announce the Siege as the last raid and Garrosh was the last boss before MoP launched? The War a) In retrospect, given the divisions/bitterness that has been generated in some quarters of the player base, was it worth having an expansion that heated up the faction war? Would you do it differently if you have the option? Theramore a) Did destroying Theramore have the impact on the game that you were hoping for? If not, what would you do differently? Story Development a) How far in advance do you plan storylines for future expansions? How much impact does player feedback have? Garrosh a) Was Garrosh always intended to be a villain? (I.e. even back in TBC) b) Given player perceptions that his character has flipped wildly would you change his portrayal in Wrath or Cataclysm to make your story clearer? Story Arcs a) Do you feel that the Alliance story arc of unification in MoP was well portrayed? If not, what would you do differently to make it clearer? b) There have been complaints that the Horde story arc in MoP is a regression of the Horde/Orc story back to WC III days. Do you see any validity in these complaints? If so, what could you have done differently? Faction Bias a) Complaints of faction bias have existed in one form or another since the beginning of the game. My perception is that the issue really heated up beginning in Cataclysm. At this point is there anything that Blizzard can do to cool the issue down to pre-Cataclysm levels? If so, what? Race Focus a) There have been complaints about a lack of attention to certain races - Dranei, Tauren, Gnomes and Worgen being the most commonly named. Do you feel that you should have given more attention to these races? Do you see greater attention to these races coming in the near future? i.e. in the next expansion?Myalison21 Aug 30, 2013
Aug 30, 2013 Night of the Living BOTS Kolossuss4 Aug 30, 2013
Aug 30, 2013 wrathion will be quite evil soon okay so i was looking more into wrathion recently and i noticed when he is sitting down in the tavern there is a book called the saurok and the jinyu. its a story about a saurok that can't control his nature no matter how much he needs to. this book is found in 2 places near wrathion the first is on a barrel next to him and the other is on the side of the pool or "well" outside behind him. i don't think blizz would put those books there for no reason, we already know that the black dragon flight is corrupted by old powers and biased on their gift will always be more susceptible to this corruption then other flights or races. i believe that wrathion will be come corupted in his hunt for powers to fight off the burning leagon and begin to behave without thought, (forcing the burning leagon to return to draw back the titans) or (forgetting the end game plan and becoming the power hungry beast). remember wrathion is only 2 years old and a ton could happen in the next few patches and xpacs this is just my theory based on what i already know about wrathion and the black dragon flight. p.s. remember the black dragons are known to be crafty and cunning.Epildur22 Aug 30, 2013
Aug 30, 2013 Why do the Night Elves lose so much? This expansion, every time the Night Elves have attempted to do something by themselves, they've failed horribly. And I mean, every, single time. And they (attempted to) have a lot done this expansion. Utilize the Pools of Youth to restore their immortality: Fail. It is revealed that the Pools of Youth can only restore life by taking it from something else. Defeat the Orcs occupying the Temple of the Red Crane: Fail. It takes Varian and what should have been a really, really stupid plan to do it without causing massive casualties or desecrating a holy site. Protect the Divine Bell from the Horde: Fail. Not only do they stupidly reveal the location of the Bell (though a portal to Darnassas was visible, so it might have been obvious anyway), but they then do not sufficiently guard the bell, when it's right in their capital city. Defend the Vale of Eternal Blossoms: Double Fail. First, Garrosh and the Bilgewater Goblins dig a massive hole in the ground, hunting for Titan/Mogu/Sha artifacts. The Night Elves do nothing about this, despite the dig being equidistant if not closer to Shrine of 7 Stars vs Shrine of 2 Moons. Then, Garrosh attacks the Golden Lotus, throws the Heart of Y'Shaarj into the Pool of Life, which then horrifically corrupts the Vale. The Night Elves once again do nothing about this.I honestly can't think of a single thing they succeeded at for this whole expansion I'm not the hugest Night Elf fan, but this is still deeply disturbing to me. What the hell were the writers thinking with the Night Elves this expansion? Why do they lose so much?Quard40 Aug 30, 2013
Aug 30, 2013 Zandali Translations Some folks on Scrolls of Lore translated the Zandalar Trolls shouts and preaching throughout ZG and ZA http://www.scrollsoflore.com/forums/showpost.php?p=285107&postcount=18 Very interesting stuff.Rocketfeller15 Aug 30, 2013
Aug 30, 2013 Not another amateur psychoanalysis of MOP Anyone remember that movie? I remember the title but... anyway. This thread contains spoilers, not just of this game but of one of my favorite shows: Avatar - The Last Airbender. So, turn back now if you don't want me to wreck anything for you. At this point, someone is going to ask why I'm bringing that show up. The simple answer is that I find the situation to be similar. There's this massive war going on that one side is indisputably winning. Everyone's hopes get pinned to one individual to solve the problem, and the good guys lose - a lot. (You could in fact compare that to a lot of works, far too many to list here.) I want to try to present some of the reasons why that show, and many other works that conform to the same formula, is beloved and why Warcraft's Alliance presentation hasn't quite hit the mark. Again, expect spoilers. Events are believable. When the Fire Nation attacks and scores victories, you can say "alright, I can see why this is happening". There's a development of what they're capable of what kind of power they possess which is sort of drip-fed with foreshadowing and prior plot points. When the tanks and the metal clad ships show up at the north pole, no one is asking where they came from. No one says "they just pulled those airships out of their rear" during the invasion of the capital. There was a clear progression and a logical line to follow. Compare that with "I can control Kraken now", or "My country of refugees is suddenly more populous than the real world nation upon which this expansion is based." Going further, there's also some consistency to be found. Characters act in a way that you know and expect, and while they can change, that change is spelled out. Again we can compare this to Garrosh, who flipped in an instant from honor to rage, or Varian who simultaneously in an instant flipped from rage to honor. Speaking of Varian: Superman still needs the Superfriends ....or Justice league or whatever you want to call them... In Avatar, Aang absolutely has his faults, going between keeping secrets that he shouldn't, walking out on his own people when they needed him (though, that can be debated), or flying into a rage when Appa is stolen. The character isn't perfect, and he needs support from everyone else. The team that forms around him is just as important, if in some cases not more important, than Aang himself, and I think Blizzard really missed an opportunity of this sort with Varian. In times of triumph, it's still clear that Aang isn't smart enough and isn't strong enough to do all of this himself. During the Northern Air Temple, he draws on the gliders to repel the attack from the air rather than attempting to do it all himself. The invasion of the capital, while failed, still relied on a strong military push that wasn't even his idea. The characters in that show draw on different talents and different people from different backgrounds, making them mesh into a cohesive force that achieves synergy from those divergent abilities. You've got scenarios where hick-waterbenders power submarines fashioned by a rag tag group of tinker-squatters in an attack brainchilded by Eskimos. How boring that would have been if it were a homogenous group of earthbenders! High King Varian meanwhile is out to display his strategic genius by making everyone look bad. Instead of suggesting to Tyrande to ambush the flanks after using a soft center strategy to draw out the Orcs, he demonstrates the superiority of human-schmuck bait. Meanwhile he has to save the Dwarves' from trolls because the council sans Moria is evidently as adamant in their position as the hoarders and wasters in the fourth circle of hell. As I recall, the purpose of the trials of the High King was for Varian to show himself as a leader. Now that they're over, he's unjustly hated because of what Blizzard turned him into, and it's not the first time they've done this. Losses are balanced with wins. While the good guys do lose a lot, and when they lose, they really lose, there are still morale-building moments within the story. You can still see that they are capable, and that their losses are understandable. In some cases they're outnumbered, others you can logically say "ok, they're outmatched", and they get outsmarted quite a bit too. That doesn't mean that they don't pull out wins in crucial places that make the audience feel good about where the story is going afterward. The thing isn't a giant depressing march where they lose unbelievably until a bunch of fire nation rebels save them - and that possibility is certainly discussed with the concept of Iroh simply killing off his brother and becoming firelord. I've complained that in regard to the Alliance, the key thing we're missing is a Midway or a D-Day. We lack a key turning point where we pull out an amazing if narrow win that turns the tide in a place relevant to us. I'm backing down on that point somewhat, but we're still lacking verification that we actually deserve to be a faction, that we can actually win without the stars aligning or a Horde rebellion springing from nowhere. The Siege of Orgrimmar in that respect is a terrible way to bring back Alliance morale. Everything just ends with the faction feeling completely unworthy. We also see both sides in Avatar. Both sides are fleshed out in a great degree, with people like Zuko taking up as much screentime as people on the other side. The same can be said of factions and people within the larger factions. There are different personalities and groups within the fire nation, and completely different nations and states everywhere else who each get a share of attention. I'm sure that I could go on, but those are what I see as the main reasons why, despite a tried and true formula, Blizzard is failing to give a good story to the Alliance, and I'm sure I could make this same comparison with the Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, or any number of stories which attempted the same thing and succeeded magnificently. In the end, it all comes down to their attempt to build a one-sided storyline which focuses on its other side around one perfect character, and even that formula has been executed in a better fashion than this.Kyalin18 Aug 30, 2013
Aug 30, 2013 What Element does Sentient Plants represent Timberlings are considered Elementals of Nature. Which Element is Nature? Warcraft lore the Elements are:Earth, Air, Fire, Water, Life and Shadow. Ignoring how the evidence in the real world states that Trees are born from Air(and we must ignore real world evidence since Azeroth has different rules from the real world) we must look at evidence within WoW's own lore: Lashers(a type of sentient plant) appeared in Skywall being created by the Lord of the West Wind.... I don't see evidence pointing any other way so I conclude Sentient Plants are Air Elementals(not suprising considering how most offensive spells that are Nature based are Air Elemental spells with the rest being Moon, Star or Sun Fire spells).Archpaladin24 Aug 30, 2013
Aug 30, 2013 Sylvanas hit with the villain bat? Is it going to happen, I mean the forsaken is a pretty dark race so she is behaving tolerable toward forsaken standards imo((Also I am sad that the worgen became furry night elves... the alliance really needed a dark race)) So is she going to get hit with the villain bat, what is your opinion on this topic.Stefene100 Aug 30, 2013
Aug 30, 2013 Question about wandering isle timeline Approximately how long before the opening events into Pandaria did the Wandering Isle pandaren come into the horde and alliance societies?Changxin17 Aug 30, 2013
Aug 30, 2013 Are the Orcs Going to Stay in Orgrimmar? Because that would be the most amazingly stupid thing ever. Firstly, the Orcs are only in Orgrimmar because Thrall saw it as some kind of self-enacted punishment for the past actions of the orcs. It has no resources, it is insanely hot, and does not really offer any benefit. Besides that, it is now the site of extensive use of sha energy... something we know from experience is residual. The dark shamans have twisted the elements and they no longer obey Thrall for "miles". If what the interviews are saying is true, and every orc is killed in Orgrimmar, why would people resettle there? I would avoid it like Chernobyl. It could easily be replaced by Bilgewater Harbor by the addition of some auctioneers and portals I think. It could be phased for lowbies for all of the quests to avoid any problems with moving them. The problem is that if they just let Orgrimmar go on functioning as the capital of the entire Horde, the Siege will have done nothing to the game for anybody below 90, besides change who is running it...Belorathas65 Aug 30, 2013
Aug 30, 2013 Y'knath: Probable name for fifth Old God? I've begun seeing people across the internet claiming that the fifth and final Old God's name is "Y'knath". The only evidence that I see of this being true is the Puzzle Box of Yogg-Saron, which has the quote "Y'knath k'th'rygg k'yi mrr'ungha gr'mula" and this seems like a big stretch to me since we don't know what that phrase means, it's just untranslated faceless gibberish as far as I know. What other evidence is there, if any, to support this claim? Is it just a baseless rumor that's being spread by people who don't know what they're talking about?Vaalin4 Aug 30, 2013
Aug 30, 2013 Filler content Patch for next exspansion. What ever the next expansion may be what kind of filler content would you like to see? Personally Id like to see the Scourge Remnants make a major land grab against the Crusade, Forsaken, Quel'thelas and Gilneas. Doesn't have to be confined to the Lordaeron Area. Add in some cool scenarios/heroic dungeon with some scarlet crusade flavor and I think it could be a fun time. What would ya'll like to see? Bonus Points:Big bads aren't troll tribes.Larrena11 Aug 30, 2013
Aug 30, 2013 Siegecrafter Blackfuse Cutscene http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeXrlitsLQIGethrian6 Aug 30, 2013
Aug 30, 2013 Future of the Kor'Kron So at the beginning of WoW, the Kor'kron were the special elite bodyguards of Thrall. As far as I can remember you never saw them outside of his hall, and they were basically some of the highest ranking orcs in his army. 9 years and 4 expansions later, they've been hit with the villain bat and aiding Garrosh in his mad bid for dominance under the idea that they must serve the Warchief no matter what. My question is, what do you see in their future? Once Garrosh is dethroned and we see a new Warchief chosen. Will there even be any Kor'kron left? Veteran soldiers trying to atone and strive to help the new warchief? Or perhaps a stubborn enemy faction that won't admit defeat? Or will we simply wipe them out in the Siege of Orgrimmar? What do you guys think. Also, if we did wipe them out, would anyone want to start the regiment up with new recruits?Senkul32 Aug 30, 2013
Aug 30, 2013 What's wrong with the Alliance exactly..? So.. I've been playing the Alliance recently. I normally play Horde and consider myself a loyal Horde player. (For the Horde. Lok'tar Ogar, children!) A person I know personally choose Alliance and I created an alt for her. (Mainly to fund her as she progresses into a developed toon). I'll get to the point though. I'm currently playing the Alliance - MoP experience. The shield wall offensive was great (except for the monkey king) and the Thunder Isle was good as well. The fact that we get to use the Alliance army to beat the Horde is kind of, forgive me for saying this, worhty of fist-pumping. The Alliance has a cool army and it gets to use it agaisnt a character that was written to be beaten. So why exactly is the Alliance complaining all the time? In terms of resources, it feels like the Alliance got more attention during MoP. I'm saying this because I now played through both sides now. What's going on exactly? Why are people still crying and asking for developers to devote thousands of man hours to re-build stormgade and stuff? I have my thoughts but a good OP never declares his opinion right away.Kefki43 Aug 30, 2013
Aug 29, 2013 Your biggest lore issues. Well after that whole Jesse Cox-Kosak interview a lot of lore problems came up. I made this thread so we could all vent about what SHOULD be in game and the problems with the lore already in game. If you want we can try to sticky this so Blizz MIGHT see it (doubt it). Now, my problems are mainly Alliance problems do to the fact that I mainly play Alliance and don't have much experience Horde Side. -Other Alliance races suffering from lack of development while humans hog up the spotlight. I love Warcraft humans but they have been focused on for too long. -The Gnomes are probably the least focused on race of any. The only recent development was at the end of Wrath and that involved failing at retaking their city. No excuses for the dungeon, no one likes it. Every time I see that loading screen I cringe. -Draenei are arguably in a worse position. They haven't gotten development since BC. Since then an army of evil undead ran rampant in the north, the planet was ripped a new one, and an entire continent have been discovered where negative emotions themselves become manifest and the leader of the Horde has gone evil. Yet they remain sitting on their butts on the Exodar. Conserving their strength for the Legion? What about us? Aren't we supposed to be the Army of Light? What about our strength? Whats the use of conserving their strength when the rest of us are worn out? -Arguably, half of the Worgen lore is told from the Horde's perspective. After the Worgen get to Darnassus (should've been Stormwind) the Worgen very little development Alliance side. They get a little camp in Raven Hill (Which should've been rebuilt with Gilnean architecture and made into a real town), they get Surwich (which was ok I guess), that tree in Felwood, and a weird town which is all Night Elven architecture, but mostly Worgen NPCs in Stonetalon Mountains. MoP showed no Worgen lore whatsoever from what I saw. -And there is also the anger about how Night Elves have been retconned into tree huggers instead of the vicious warrior tree huggers they were in Warcraft 3. I'm sure someone could make a better argument for this then me however.Unholyfear39 Aug 29, 2013
Aug 29, 2013 How much have you spoiled for yourself? I'm just curious to know how much of the 5.4 story you've already spoiled for yourself before launch >.> all of it? None of it? Reply here! For me, I simply look at the first 30 seconds of important audio (Garrosh/Thrall/Wrathion) and listen to all of the unimportant siege characters (Tyrande, Grazzle Gearstrip, Moira).Delurk17 Aug 29, 2013
Aug 29, 2013 Been Out of Touch Hey guys I'm a lore nut but I've been away from WoW for a bit. Pretty much been out since the end of Cataclysm. I have MoP but haven't played it much. Now I'm hearing Garrosh went crazy and is going againts the horde and the Alliance are going to sack Orgrimmar?!?! WTF happened? I always knew Garrosh was a loose cannon but geez! My question is where is the best place to go (web site or whatever) to get caught up on what the hell happened? Thanks!Nazdreg9 Aug 29, 2013
Aug 29, 2013 Old God-Titan theory According to legend, the Titans were the first beings to arise in the Universe. However, the old gods seem to be equally ancient in many respects, already occupying Azeroth by the time the Pantheon had arrived. The titans defeated the old gods and imprisoned them under the earth, and only recently have they started to awaken. It is also known that there are many Old gods in the universe. This shares some similarities to the Greek/Roman mythology where the Olypmians wrested power from the Titans, imprisoning them deep within the earth. The Titans in Greek mythology were the progenitors of the Olympians. What if, in the Warcraft universe, the Titans were the creations of the Old Gods? They originally created the Titans with the intent of using them to remake creation in their image? But the Titans somehow broke free of that control and rebelled against their masters, banishing them from the physical plane. The Old Gods that survived fled to different planets, and the Titans went about bringing their vision of and Ordered universe into reality, imprisoning their former masters where ever they found them? Further more, what if the titans were originally flesh like creatures, but figured out how to become inorganic via a "reverse curse of flesh"? And that the Old Gods are only able to implement their curse of flesh on Titan constructs because they understand the workings of the Titans from being their former masters? While there is no proof of this, there is generally no proof for the origins of either the titans or the old gods. Just a crazy theory. Bring salt.Nathanyel22 Aug 29, 2013
Aug 29, 2013 5.4 Boss Audio I know there's already a thread, but I think this is the complete audio from the raid. At least from the bosses. Garrosh http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niFGMHvztOY Paragons of the Klaxxi http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpR12NwyfZQ Siegecrafter Blackfuse http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bU-R0SDcE18&list=TL4Jo0Bciya8U Malkorok http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKLZKPScucg&list=TL4Jo0Bciya8U General Nazgrim http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4hNwjoWsDs&list=TL4Jo0Bciya8U Kor'kron Dark Shaman http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynZODOBuouc&list=TL4Jo0Bciya8U Sha of Pride http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6ldSbm81uU&list=TL4Jo0Bciya8U Norushen http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stgMWrzVJ20&list=TL4Jo0Bciya8U The Fallen Protectors http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AburTaI8ShU&list=TL4Jo0Bciya8UGethrian4 Aug 29, 2013
Oct 21, 2013 A W.I.P fan-fic (a lot to read) But please, by all means, do critique it as you see fit. I have every intention of expanding it and editing it as it is required. There are no 'chapter' titles yet. Hope you enjoy, because here goes. =========================================================== Foraging and hunting. These were the things I was raised to do; Things that I exceled at. I was trained on how to craft sturdy bows, create the base for arrows from twigs, and how best to grind high-quality arrow tips of varying quality and substance. Instructed on how to lace arrows with toxins to numb the muscles or slowly steal the life from my victims. I was told I am an excellent student and was able to combine my studies flawlessly. That is, at least, up to the point that my mentor passed away. As fortune would have it I was thrust in to the day-to-day affairs of my peoples, the Tauren's, culture shortly after my mentor passed on, leaving me very little time to grieve. I was to go on the daily Hunt to gather food for my people in order to keep reserves in sufficient supply, and skins in a quantiful amount for trade or craft purposes. However, I cared not for these affairs. I cared only for the Hunt. The challenge of stalking prey, following the faintest of tracks and scents, and ultimately culminating in the successful killing of my target. Some among the tribe would argue that I have failed to kill only one target, and that is the beast in which I chose to befriend. I argued in return: "I did not fail to kill this beast. I killed it as surely as I could kill you. You see, I broke the beast. I took it from its bestial nature and gave it a new purpose. Before she would hunt for only herself, thinking of only herself. Now she hunts for not only herself, but I and the clan. Rest assured, friends: I gave this creature a new life after killing its previous one." The beast I chose to befriend I named Snow. It was a white lynx with fangs as long as my forearm. Originally a weapon - a killing machine - she became a friend, an ally and a companion. I was but a Tauren, 24 in age, when Jorn Skyseer, the leader of Camp Taurajo, called upon me to venture in to Razorfen Kraul within a select group of able-bodied Tauren. Our mission: Clear the Kraul of Quilboar. The man to be leading the group was Kharhaz, a burly Warrior that would defend rather than attack. Word circulating around Camp Taurajo at one point in time said that he was "able to deflect any and all attacks with his shield, parry the swiftest of blades, and evade the most accurate of arrows." If not for having witnessed this man spar before, in a battle unfair for any one man, I would not have believed the over-exaggerated talk. The man was excellent at standing his ground and was able to overcome all contendors without taking a single blow to the body. I thought highly of his combat ability, but not only that, he had seen combat against the Quilbor before. In my eyes he was fit to lead. Additionally there were the twin Druids: Lauka and Nakila. Lauka was the older sister and most adept at the shapeshifting forms of agile animals. She allowed her instincts and ferocity to determine her combat capabilities. Her younger sister, Nakila, was one of the most exceptional healers in all of Camp Taurajo. She found the ability to mend wounds and cure toxins (and some diseases) as natural to her as breathing air, and was one of the most adept healers in the Camp at the age of 20. The final member was never determined, but I insisted that Snow not be counted off as a member of this group; She was as much a fighter as I was, and Kharhaz agreed - but only after staring in to her eyes, as if peering in to her very soul, for over half an hour. We were set to leave for camp immediately after if we were to return to the village before the break of dawn. And so we left: Kharhaz, Nakila, Lauka, myself and Snow. Our destination set and our mission clear. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - We approached Razorfen Kraul in the dead of night. Kharhaz leading the group, and upon recommendation by him, we set camp not far from the entrance to the Kraul. Rugged, out-of-date tents, a small-log fire surrounded by small stones, a nice little straw bed nearby set for Snow, and 3 tree stumps to be used as seats comprised our camp. We brought no meat with us to the Kraul this night. Some of the Quilboar sentries are still awake and with their keen sense of smell, they would locate our roasting boar or slabs of steak within minutes. None of us felt like dealing with an ambush from the Quilboar this night, and so we stuck with bread as a meal. Snow, being a strict carnivore, was reduced to eating the local population of rat. No words were exchanged. Instead, we sat around the campfire admiring the dead silence of night. Kharhaz seemed as though his passive nature was becoming irritable, the man was always honing his skills on something. I can see how he was becoming impatient for our rest to end and the battle to begin. Lauka and Nakila were making themselves more 'presentable.' Stiching, patching holes in their leather armor I was alright with. I understood this much. What I didn't understand the reasoning behind was the braiding and brushing of hair. "To what purpose?" I asked myself as I watched them. "Why do your hair before a battle?" I pondered. All in vain. Instead I chalked one up for them being females, and this is a female thing. Kharhaz heaved a deep grunt, and all turned to look at him. Writing in the ground in our language, Taur-ahe, he issued us to gather our things. "The tents shall remain, but we are setting out upon Snow's return. We will clear the Kraul and return to Taurajo before the 'morn." We nodded in agreement. The Twins finished their business and Kharhaz grabbed his axe and shield. Lauka, prowling about, went to inspect the entrance to the Kraul one more time, and I went to retrieve Snow from her meal. I returned with Snow, her teeth stained with the blood of rats and plugged with their fur. Nakila almost laughed at the gluttonous nature of my friend, and Lauka sighed. Kharhaz approached and we gathered in a circle around him. Faint whispers left his mouth: "We are all prepared?" I raised my bow ever so slightly, Snow and Lauka (still in her feline form) stretched, baring their claws and fangs, and Nakila gave a reassuring thumbsup. The group was reassembled, our bellies full, our hair ready and our gear in shape. We were prepared. Kharhaz approached the lit fire and drove his hoof down upon it. The fire flickered out and the darkness closed in on us. We all turned towards Razorfen Kraul and trekked forth. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - It had been hours since we entered the Kraul - far past the expected time we would be spending here. The Quilboar were far more numerous than we had known in their breeding grounds. Nevertheless, we have made it this far with little challenge. The Quilboar advisors lie dead, their subordinates either dead, fleeing the Kraul in terror, or hiding in the cracks of the cave. The only major threat left to the Quilboar still residing in Razorfen Kraul was a 'Charlga Razorflank.' If we brought her down... We would be free of Quilboar attacks coming from southern Taurajo. Kharhaz snaps an arrow from his breastplate and presses his back against the cave wall. He turns his head and briefly looks around. Spotting nothing besides an open area wide enough for battle and a small hut, but the designated target not within sight. Sliding back and standing upright, he walked back to the shoddy bridge in which the rest of us waited on. "Reports we received from the scouts indicated that the area ahead is where Charlga resides. As noted in their report, there is a hut there." Kharhaz said, finishing with a snort. A wide grin forming across his face as his left hand tightens around the hilt of his axe, and his right hand around the handle of his shield. "She must be inside." "Then we approach carefully." I reply. "If she is indeed in the building then we must find a way to draw her out." Looking around us, and down below the bridge, I return my sight to Kharhaz. "The Quilboar are small enough to fit three, maybe four of their bodies inside of these huts. We could only fit one." Lauka and Nakila both nod in agreement. Kharhaz loosens up and looks down at the ravine below the bridge, observing the size of the huts. He grunts and then turns around, taking a few steps forward. "Then let it be I who calls her out." The twins, myself and Snow approve. "As it goes without saying, she will be the strongest foe we have faced here. Do not let your guard down." Kharhaz adds with a cautious, yet serious tone. "Nakila, I expect you are rested by now and ready?" He asks. With a deep breath, and closing her eyes, Nakila nods. "I am ready." "Lauka?" Kharhaz asks, looking over his shoulder towards the scraped feline-form Tauren behind him. "I am." She replies while lifting her right paw and extending her still sharp claw. "More than ready." Kharhaz looks to myself. I notice his eyes squint, yet he does not ask. "I expect the bearer of 'Swiftarrow' to watch our backs." Grunting, I raise my hand to my chest, bow in hand and brought my hooves closer together. Standing tall, bowing forward slightly. "Do not worry." Kharhaz looks forward and holds his axe out ahead of him. "Let us go then." We proceeded forth through the remainder of Razorfen Kraul, which consisted of a slow, bending turn to the left and a narrowing passage way. Kharhaz was leading, Lauka behind him, Nakila following her, and Snow in front of myself. Kharhaz set the pace slower and slower as we came nearer and nearer to the end of the passage. After a cautiously boring five minutes navigating this slow bend Kharhaz finally extended his right hand outwards - the signal to 'halt.' We waited as Kharhaz inched forward, hugging the wall. He leaned forward and peered out in to the opening beyond. He was barely visible to us; just his shield and half of his arm. With no warning given Kharhaz charges foward. Surprised, we rush. Lauka adeptly assumes her feline form in record time and disappears beyond the bend. Nakila and myself hear a shriek from beyond as we are charging forward. Charging, charging. We finally make it around. Nakila quickly finds her way to her sister's side and begins to console her, trying to find the purpose behind her sister's tears and shuddering. Lauka slowly shifts out of her feline form and falls in to the arms of her sister. Snow runs around swiftly and places herself between them and Charlga, and I make my way behind Lauka with my eyes set on who I presume to be Charlga. "Charlga Razorflank. A stout, outwardly aged Quilboar." The report given by the advance scout led me to believe this was in deed her. She was old, yet it was not her age that captivated me - It was her cackling. Perhaps it was because I drowned out all other noise in the room, fixating on Charlga. As it went on and on it became all the more maddening. To what does she take such pleasure in I wondered. Then it hit me. "Kharhaz..." I muttered under my breath. I did not see him. I looked at Charlga and found not a wound in sight. I looked at the ground beneath her as it was light near her feet, yet slightly seared in a radius around her. She did something; I deduced that much. But what? I looked to the right and noticed Kharhaz's shield upon the floor before I heard Nakila's voice call out to me, bringing me back to my senses. My gaze darted down to my left as I approached Lauka, placing my left hand on her right shoulder as she is held in her sister's arms and bringing myself to my knee. Her hands covering her face as she sobbed."What is it, Lauka?" I asked. "Do you see Kharhaz?" I pleaded. I watched as her right hand left her face. Her arm extending outwards and her index finger shaking as she cried. "T-t-there..." She says with a low, trembling voice. My eyes looked to her shoulder, up her arm, over her hand then down and passed her finger. My eyes squinted as I looked in the pointed direction. There was debris piled up against the wall. My head rotated left, then right, then I turned and looked behind me. Nowhere Kharhaz seemed to be in sight. I turned and looked back towards the debris and broke in to a run, stumbling over as I left Lauka and Nakila's side. Snow began to sniff the air. Her eyes glazed over and she began to scratch her claws lightly on the ground as she inched slowly towards the still cackling Charlga. I made it to the debris and began pulling a large banner off first, ripping it against the jagged edges of wood. Once it was off I looked down and saw him - Kharhaz - laying against the wall. My heart sank for a moment as I noticed his axe halfway burried in his chest; a wooden log occupying the other half. Beneath him, and already reaching my feet, a trail of blood - his blood. I couldn't comprehend how a warrior with his ability was in this predicament, and how it happened so suddenly. I kneeled beside him and began to pull what I could off of his body. As soon as I started to move a log resting over his legs and belly, he coughed. Frightened, I almost nicked the axe. I pushed the log forward, off of him, and rotated my body as fast as I could towards Nakila and Lauka. "It's Kharhaz, Nakila, come fast!" I yelled. This drew the attention of Charlga away from her sinister laugh and she began to take notice that the rest of us were actually here. Nakila and Lauka looked towards Kharhaz. Lauka fell forward on her hands as soon as Nakila whisked herself forward and came to the side of Kharhaz within moments. Immediately she took note of his axe, but she did not seem lost in despair. She actually seemed to be relieved. I quickly looked down at Kharhaz and saw one of his eyes open as he began to faintly breath. Nakila's right hand enveloped in a green glow as she looked at me, grabbed my chin in her left hand and turned me facing her staring me down. "I am going to remove the axe. You take care of the log. He will bleed all the faster once I remove it." She told me in the most serious tone I had ever heard from her. I gulped, nodded, and felt her hand leave my chin and rest a mere inch over the axe. Her eyes still on me, and mine on her. "3." "2." "1..." She grabbed the axe in her hand and tossed it towards the entrance, a place she knew it could do no more harm, and immediately I heaved the log up and off of his chest. She plunged her hand down upon Kharhaz's gushing chest wound, immediately envolped her left hand in the same energy, and began to chant and pulse her power through him. Immediately I began to note her sweating. It was obvious it is taking everything she has to save his life, and yet immediately her powers seemed to be taking effect as I noticed the wound beginning to ever slowly pull together, and the blood - all of it that can - slowly seep back in to the wound. "The power of life" I thought to myself. Lauka was sobbing yet, but she was no longer flowing with tears. She heard Nakila and knew Kharhaz was going to be fine. Charlga began to step forward. She raised her left hand towards the sky as a quick shocks of lightning strikes her finger tip, arcing down her arm and culminating over her chest. She began to radiate electricity. Snow begins to growl and my eyes quickly find themselves upon Charlga, then Snow, Lauka, and finally back down to Nakila and Kharhaz. I was somewhat level-headed, but it was apparent I and Snow were the only ones able to fight at the moment. Kharhaz was out of commission so Nakila was second-designated leader. She is too exhausted and busy at the current moment to lead - and so that left me in charge. Thinking quickly, I found myself with two options: Fight, or retreat. Given the circumstances you would expect a retreat. But Charlga was infuriating - maddening. Our mission was to clear Razorfen Kraul and Charlga is the head. I chose to stay and fight. I brought myself to my hooves and stood tall. I walked around Nakila and left her to tend to Kharhaz. Her breathing was begin to hasten, and already she was shaking her head to keep herself awake; She was exhausting herself at a breakneck pace to save him. I kept my eyes on Charlga as I made my way to Snow and kneeled beside her. Charlga seemed to be focused on myself and Snow, but I noticed her sight run past me for a moment to Lauka and then back to myself again. I began to whisper in to Snow's ear, covering my mouth with my hand. Snow began to calm down - the smell of blood brought out her sealed bestial nature, and it was not yet time to unleash it. I patted Snow on the head, scratched her ear and calmly raised myself up again. I gripped my bow firmly in my left hand, raised it outwards until it aligned with my chest, and reached to my quiver on my back - all while thinking of a plan. I tapped my finger on the tail end of my arrows until I felt a pointed end - Poison. I drew it out. I rested the small slit at the pointed end of the arrow along my bowstring and drew it back. The bow was bending, creaking. Snow's presence at my side faded as she began to move away from me. I raised the bow to the same level as my chest and took aim as Charlga stepped slowly towards me, still enveloped with lightning. I timed her steps and watched as Snow prowled in a wide circle behind her. She had covered nearly half of the distance when Snow was in place. "Now!" I yelled as I released the arrow, immediately reached back for another arrow - but this time not poison. The poison arrow found it's mark in Charlga's chest a few centimeters to the right of her heart. She immediately ripped it out of her, but alas, all it takes is one moment and the poison is circulating within you. Already her movements slowed and she was unable to see the white flash of Snow leaping on to her back. Charlga let off a quick screech as Snow dug her claws in, but this worked to momentarily weaken Snow and Charlga stopped, taking advantage of this weakness and let her upper body fall forward. Snow fell off of her and on to the floor then was swept aside with a harsh swing of a staff. I drew my next arrow back and aimed for the legs. Charlga stood erect and stared in to my eyes. She waited and I fired. The arrow swiftly covered the distance between us, but as I was reaching for my next arrow I was struck with confusion as I watch it deflect mid-flight. She began to cackle as I drew my next arrow and fired again and again only to see them bounce off the air around her. Baffled, I fired again and again. Lauka stared on in confusion, attempting to discern the reasoning behind my misguided arrows. She looked to Snow and made her way over, crawling, attempting to keep the attention from Charlga from her. Charlga began to close the distance between us. In my confusion I forgot about the traps I had prepared and began to launch my quiver of arrows hastily. Charlga grew nearer, and as she did, I noticed the poison from my arrow leaving her wound. I was backpeddling and nearing a wall when I watched as Charlga mustered forth even more lightning and concentrated it in her hands. She brought them together and launched it towards me. Barely, I dodged. My mind still in confusion from whatever trickery is being used to avoid my arrows. <continued...>Bretherezen24 Oct 21, 2013
Aug 29, 2013 Alternate Forums So, the complaining 'round these here parts is rather intense. Do you guys have a place where you can discuss lore and story that doesn't devolve into a bunch of overheated insults over fake story stuff (much as I love it)?Alexstrael10 Aug 29, 2013
Aug 28, 2013 Night Elves and technology I've seen this thrown around a bit recently, so I'd like to ask where people get the idea that the Night Elves are necessarily opposed to technological advancements. The closest thing I can find is the one that is uncomfortable with cannons in Stonetalon, but otherwise, I'm not seeing where they've rendered a specific opinion. (I'm also not counting instances where they don't like Goblin technology, because of course you're going to curse out your enemies, no matter what they're doing.) Unless we're just following the general trope, are there examples of Night Elves expressing a genuine distaste for using advanced technology?Kyalin16 Aug 28, 2013
Aug 28, 2013 Next expansion class/race possiblities I don't know much about the lore but I watched a video recently that asked a question I always wondered about: Name a class that is ranged but doesn't cast spells. Exclude the hunter. So my ideas for this are 2 things so far: Alchemist and Engineer. I would really like there to be an Alchemist because they could take cast times to mix potions and hurl them at enemies. There could be some that leave residue that makes an aoe and they could make healers causing certain aromas to linger in the air for aoe healing or just drenching players in pure healing juice or something. I think it could be a good idea. The Engineers could use guns and crossbows only to fire off explosives and set mines (I know, traps) or electric fields for aoe or something. There could even be melee ones (this is coming off the top of my head right now) that enhance their weapons to be electrified or on fire. Engineers have lots of possibilities. Lemee hear your ideasTorbear15 Aug 28, 2013
Aug 28, 2013 An idea for the Alliance in 5.5 So basically, I know many Alliance have complained that they don't have enough conflict, the Horde ''princess'' is still in their ''castle'' ready to be rescued by the Alliance and given back to the Horde. That said, here's my idea for the Alliance conflict: Admiral Rogers leads an uprising consisting of the SI:7, perhaps the remainder of the 7th Legion, and the residents of the Stormwind stockade against Varian for being ''too merciful'' to the Horde. The player gets to kill the extremist and all those supporting her in her campaign against the Horde with the help of Varian and the Rebels.Delurk66 Aug 28, 2013
Aug 28, 2013 Why are the titans so inconsistent? I was helping my friend level through badlands the other day when we got to the Titan ruins. Looking at them, it was obvious they were based off of Greek architecture and culture. But then I remember the Titan facilities in Ulduar look different, can't quite compare them to anything today. Then Uldum is Egyptian architecture. The facilities in Pandaria seem to Chinese theme, though I might just be remembering the parts of Mogu'shan vaults that were actually constructed by the Mogu. Why are they so random with their architecture? And why are there so many types of Titan creations? They seem to have made so many species at this point, couldn't they have just made one or two? Why couldn't they just make the Earthen or Vrykul defend the Halls of Origination or what would become Pandaria? Creations like the Tol'vir and Mogu seem unnecessary. They could have just focused their resources on one or two creations but they decide to create all kinds on constructs. I don't really understand why a people like the Titans who are obsessed with order create things seemingly at random...or am I just over complicating Blizzard's attempts at creating a certain feel in certain zones at the cost of story?Unholyfear10 Aug 28, 2013
Aug 28, 2013 Greco-Roman titans? Dear creative devs, We've seen titanic keepers based on Norse, Egyptian and Daoist deities so far in WoW... any chance we'll ever get to see some Greco-Roman ones? I know its a bit standard but it sure would round out the pantheons. Imagine: Zeusar! Heralon! Pluton! Er... Hephaestitron, Tinker-God of the Gnomes...? :DShanyu4 Aug 28, 2013
Aug 28, 2013 What about Orcs? It seems like everyone is getting thier 'Fist-pump' moment....whether they see it as or not. They get to storm the orc capitol and paint it red with the orcish blood of our heroes, other horde races get to kill their public enemy number one (Garrosh). But what about the Orcs, half of the backbone of the warcraft storyline since Orcs and Humans..where is our fist-pump moment?All I see is the Orcs cleaning up the pieces of their brothers and sisters from the ashes of Orgrimmar for doing nothing more than honoring an oath to the warchief, which is the only way of life the Orcs know. and as an Afterthought i think most people forget that 'Horde' is short for 'Orcish Horde'Rämpage51 Aug 28, 2013
Aug 28, 2013 High elf as an Alliance race. Now read before you judge. First off i know it's a very small chance that blizzard will add high elfs as a playable race, since we already have belfs in the horde. And although i'll talk about them be playable in the game. I would be fine with them becoming a faction within the alliance, lore wise, and in game. And i know they already have one in Dalaran but i mean much bigger. And they actually can do something for change. Now let me list some reasons why this can work. 1. It's been stated in Lands of conflict theres was about 25k high elfs left amongst Alliance settlements shortly before the beginning of wow, that's not even including Thereamore and Dalaran so maybe even 30k, and then you've got like 10k half elfs as well. So that's a lot, it's like 4 times the population of the gnomes and look how big they are /snicker. But unfortunately i'm pretty sure most of them left to join the blood elfs when they joined the horde. So i'm guessing maybe around 6 or 7k left? Just a guess but that's still almost as much as the gnomes. 2.Now let's imagine blizzard did make them playable where would they start out? I think the best way to do it is have a human/elf starting zone, All you'd have to do is have the elfs start in the human zone. Most of the high elfs live in Stormwind anyway. So their also going to need a home, well i'm thinking the park. It could be rebuilt as an high elfin distract. 3. If you still think 6k isn't big enough for a race, if they did group up and make a faction and all i'd think perhaps some blood elfs may come back over and join them. 4. Lastly everyone saying it be confusing sense blood elves and high elves pretty much have the same models, Pandaran seemed to work out. And also people who say there aren't enough high elves for a race, again Pandaran. Pretty much a very very small pack of them arrived in Stormwind/org, so if they can be playable, so can high elves. Anyway just a thought, tell me your look on the matter.Delidge359 Aug 28, 2013
Aug 28, 2013 Why Gnomeregan needs paladins Dear Blizzard, While I love this game and have been playing it for nearly 5 years now, there's always been an elephant in the room. Something that would make this game even better for me, and countless other people. Simply put, World of Warcraft needs gnome paladins. But wait, does that even make sense given the current lore? My answer would be a resounding yes. Here's why: 1. Gnomes have found the Light. Once, not so long ago, gnomes had no interest in knowing who they were as a race, or where they came from. But then we went to Borean Tundra, and it all changed - suddenly gnomes became aware of their titanic origins, and a whole new world opened up in front of them. I'll leave it to a much smarter person than me, Ms. Anne Stickney from WoW Insider: ... Not only that - after all we've witnessed in Icecrown, from A'dal saving Crusader Brindenbrad's soul ("Fear not, young one, for this crusader shall not taste death. (...) The light does not abandon its champions") to the Lich King's demise atop the Frozen Throne, is it hard to imagine that some of these gnomes could have truly become devoted to the Light? 2. Gnomes are selfless. When the Burning Legion invaded Azeroth during the Third War, all the Alliance received from the gnomes was a bunch of schematics for siege weapons. No troops, no other form of support whatsoever. Again, I'll leave it to Ms. Stickney: ... It cost them their city and a good part of their population, but they refused to ask for help because they knew the Alliance had their hands full with a more dangerous enemy. If that level of selflessness and sacrifice isn't paladin-like, I don't know what is. 3. They excel at everything they do. If there's one thing gnomes can do well, it's... uh, basically anything they set out to do, except reclaiming Gnomeregan. This tiny race has a long tradition of being very good at everything they do, and it shouldn't be different when it comes to the Light. 4. The Legion is coming back. Wrathion has been warning us all throughout the Pandaren campaign: the Burning Legion is coming back, in force, to wipe out Azeroth. While he's not exactly a reliable source, it'd still make sense that some people would believe him. And even if they don't, it should still make you think: it's pretty obvious that Sargeras's forces will come back eventually. Well, then, it'd also make sense that a few devoted gnome fighting-types would be inclined to use the Light against them. And why not? They are enemies of the Light and the Naaru, after all. It'd be logical. And we all know how much gnomes love their logic. Let these gnomes stand shoulder to knee with their draenei and human fellows, to fight the battle they couldn't join during Third War. 5. Gnomes need some lore development. It's no secret that gnomes are one of the least developed races, lore-wise, and players have been asking for lore developments for a long time. And while we found out their origin in Borean Tundra and saw the birth of gnome priesthood right before the Cataclysm, we have never seen the consequences of these things. How did it affect their society? Is there a group of gnomes that are now devoted to the Light, even if they are not (player) priests? Has this brought them closer to their good old friends, the dwarves? Maybe even to the humans and draenei? The rise of a few gnome paladins could bring these subjects into, ahem, light. It could be used to show us how gnome society has evolved since Borean Tundra. What changed, and what didn't? Paladins can also naturally evolve into field commanders (Turalyon, anyone?). Could a paladin champion be what's needed to finally put some discipline in Gnomeregan's army and help them retake the city? The possibilities are endless. 6. It's a roleplaying gold mine. WoW Insider had a pretty good article on plot points for gnome roleplayers, one of which was titled "Gnomes and the Light". Granted, it applied to priests. It's not a stretch to see this taken even further with paladins: http://wow.joystiq.com/2011/09/11/all-the-worlds-a-stage-plot-points-for-gnome-roleplayers/ 7. Sparkly little balls of righteous death, armored to their teeth. This requires no explanation, really. 8. More puntable classes. Gnome-punting is a well established sport among Horde and Alliance players alike. You can make them happy by increasing the number of potential targets, and adding sparkles to the whole thing! 9. You can have my monies! Seriously, I would pay for that race change in a heartbeat. Freddles Cogspark needs to happen. In fact, I would probably race change both my paladins, and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be the only one! Extra fun: http://wow.joystiq.com/2010/09/12/know-your-lore-gnome-priests-and-the-failure-of-the-flesh/ http://wow.joystiq.com/2010/05/22/know-your-lore-current-alliance-politics-the-gnomes/Freddles28 Aug 28, 2013
Aug 28, 2013 Alliance and the SoO I'm usually just a reader of this forum. I have a deep respect for the people that post here and feel that they are very knowledgeable about wow lore. I have been reading a lot on this forum lately about how the Alliance's story and military actions don't make a lot of sense. I do agree that the story telling has not been top notch this expansion. However I would argue that Alliance's military decisions concerning the Horde are very possible eventualities. (I understand it is probably not a good idea to compare history to a fictional story - but I can't help myself. It is the only example of war and motives for war that is based in real life logic that I can point to. I am also American and really only know American History from an American's point of view - so forgive me for my bias.) Alliance's role in the Darkspear Rebellion is ridiculous. They would not help Voljin - they would just wait for the Horde to destroy each other and pick up the pieces. During the American Revolutionary War - English people were fighting each other. France (who historically didn't uh... like England) didn't have to get involved in this Revolution. And yet they did - sending money, troops and naval forces and were pivotal in helping the United States gain it's independence. So while you as a player may not enjoy the idea of helping a rebellion of your enemies, it is not unheard of for a government to take the stance the Alliance did. It is possible and has happened in world history. Varian is stupid to not destroy Orgrimmar and to let the Horde govern themselves. After everything they've done, the Alliance cannot liberate the Horde and then walk out. For my historical example I point to the Ally's treatment of the Axis powers during WW2. Was Germany decimated? Was Japan's populace destroyed? Did the Ally powers install their own leaders in these foreign lands? From what i know, after the United States A-bombed Japan - twice - they sent troops over to rebuild it. And then, they left. Leaving Japanese leaders to govern Japan. They were American friendly Japanese leaders, but they were still Japanese. There might be some disagreement with how that war ended but the Allied powers didn't take over their enemies land. They tried to restore former country's boundaries and then tried to set up peaceful relations with the new leaders of the said countries. America, England, France, Japan and Germany are at peace now. For me, it isn't a stretch to think Varian would help install a peaceful leader for the Horde. Again I'm not arguing whether or not Varian should take this course of action, I am arguing that it is, according to history, a legitimate course of action to take. There are not enough Alliance forces represented in the SoO raid. I would like to see a dranaei and gnome kick butt as much as the next guy - but the whole purpose in aiding the Darkspear rebellion was so that the Alliance wouldn't have to go into open war with the Horde. Now i may be mistaken - maybe the Alliance is in open war - but it was my understanding that this is a smaller, covert operation. Much like the United States policy in the Middle East. It was my understanding that we went there with the intent to aid and train the natives there to overthrow their own government. Granted we have sent a lot of troops there over the last 12 years, but we haven't had to start drafting people. That was my understanding of the Alliance involvement in this Rebellion. The Alliance's standing army was called forth, but they didn't have to start drafting people like they had to in the war against the Lich King. Thank you for reading my post. I don't post often but I've been thinking about this for quite a while. I think that with some better writing and explanation, Blizzard could have avoided some of the irritation players feel over lore. [b]TL;DR: The Alliance's military decisions concerning the Darkspear Rebellion and the SoO are not as outlandish they appear, they just are poorly written. [/b Edit: to make it look prettier.Lanayru51 Aug 28, 2013
Aug 28, 2013 Can someone help me with the Story? This is a great start >> http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1008220832 However, once i have read those where would i go to read more about the story and what is happening or has happened? There is a lot of content and I reckon we need some more guides like the link above. I have been playing for about 5 or 6 years and i feel i know like nothing of what is going on. All i know is Thrall was Warchief of the horde and i honoured him, but Garrosh somehow became Warchief and has caused a lot of chaos, infuriated Jaina, the Alliance, Tarahn Zhu and even those amongst the horde. And we all want to kill him. So i have decided i want to know the whole story about all the characters in WoW from start to what is happening now. As I understand that Blizzard cant fit their whole story of WoW in-game.Flipd2 Aug 28, 2013
Aug 28, 2013 Azeroth - TMI? Looking at Mists and even Cataclysm I find there's one overarching problem with Azeroth's depiction, and that is simply this - it's overplayed. Azeroth doesn't have enough room for further exploration and expansion - when they try, generally they seem to come up with some wacky invisibility cloak excuse for why it wasn't there rather than simply saying it was undiscovered land. Sure, in some cases they just go ahead and pretend it's always been there, but seeing them run around with these mists gimmicks is really wearing thin. Saying that we already know all of Azeroth has really put a damper on where we can go with it - either it'll demand we shrug and pretend like regions were always there, or they'll have to try and cook up some excuse. Now, if the existing continents were explicitly the only ones we are aware of, we could get more mileage out of Azeroth as a setting. Further, having more continents would increase the idea of Azeroth being a violently Sundered world. Unfortunately at this point we seem to be past the threshold of going in that direction. Sure, we can go underwater, underground, and maybe back to Kezan. Perhaps Kul'tiras has a lot in store for us, and Zandalar as well, but... the current portrayal of Azeroth doesn't leave much room for new lands of adventure.Valynx7 Aug 28, 2013
Aug 28, 2013 What are the chances... ... That Forsaken Lordaeron could expand? I mean, from all the victories the Alliance has had this expansion, imagine what it'd be like to have a Lordaeron campaign with a conclusion. Perhaps we take the Plaguelands, forcing the argents to join the Alliance?Reganluthen29 Aug 28, 2013
Aug 28, 2013 Timeless Isle vision(spoiler) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzw3T3kFt5k Look at all the faction leaders gathered around Garrosh's corpse. Even Taran Zhu and Greymane and Gallywix are there. ....The only one missing? Velen. Again.Quirnheim79 Aug 28, 2013
Aug 28, 2013 Shadow Priests and Old Gods? So I've just now been getting into the lore of this game and the other day I made a connection with Shadow Priests and Old Gods. I briefly scanned the internet for what exactly gives shadow priests their power and if there is a connection between them and Old Gods, but came up empty. I'm curious if shadow priests derive their power from the same source the Old Gods do themselves. The Old Gods minions resemble the Mind Bender talent and with the new glyph in 5.4 PATCH SPOILER you can turn it into a Sha which is an essence of an Old God. In game we see a great deal of shadow priests that belong to the various cults which follow the Old Gods and their minions. These minions, such as the faceless ones, also use several shadow priest abilities, like Mind Flay for example. Shadow Priests also use psychological attacks against their opponents (i.e. over half their spells either starting with Psy or Mind) the same way the Old Gods manipulate their victims mentaly. The talent Dominate Mind, which used to be exclusive to shadow priests, resembles how the Old Gods coerce people into obedience. Of coarse mind control is a lot different then subliminal "whispers" but that's possibly just for game play reasons? Anyways I was just wondering if it's stated anywhere exactly where shadow priests get their powers from and if they have or could have a connection with the Old Gods, whether it be from worship or some how siphoning power from Old Gods or their source of power. Either way it would be interesting to discuss!Bullockobama16 Aug 28, 2013
Aug 28, 2013 Thisalee Crow, a real Kaldorei So after going through Hyjal again, I found Thisalee again in the Shrine of Aviana. THIS is what Night Elves should be in the game. When you first meet her, she's not preening like a sin'dorei but digging dirt from under her nails with a dagger. Good start. She even has a posture, sitting on a table with her legs crossed, that gives you the impression she is proud. How does a Kaldorei deal with troublesome creatures? Capture them and use said dagger to extract some answers. When a bunch of creatures start trouble, you go bring the pain. Ruthlessly. Even with unbridled savagery. When confronted with the twilight dragons adding plates of armor directly to their bodies, Thisalee's plan is to simply rip them off to "hack at the flesh below". We need more Thisalee Crows in the Kaldorei.Cecilly74 Aug 28, 2013
Aug 28, 2013 Why do gunpowder barricades fail? Reading over the story forum, there's lots of heartache displayed over the lack of seriousness presented in the World of Warcraft story. Characters are shown to be super powerful mega heroes or villains with only a tiny itty bitty flaw. Take the horde intro quests to the Jade Forest. Here the Alliance manages to shoot down the Horde airship. Ship crashes and the player character receives quests from a handful of survivors to breach the heavily fortified stone building filled with alliance soldiers. And what super powerful world destroying weapon does the Horde PC take to eradicate the enemy and push into this stone fortress? A flare gun! Yep, all it takes is a tiny flare gun to blow apart the Alliance defenses and destroy their supplies. After all this time, the Alliance still builds their fortifications out of gunpowder barrels and medical supplies. They also like to put their medical barracks as close to the front line as possible while housing their healthy soldiers way in the back where they are least effective. Debate endlessly about the morality of the horde PC fighting and killing some injured Alliance troops. But you have to ask, if the Alliance is so superior, why do they do silly things like build barricades out of gunpowder? Maybe they are taking construction advice from Goblins. Maybe they like handicapping themselves because they are so powerful it would be unfair for a lowly Horde soldier to attack unless they had one major obvious weakness. Where else can we find these awesome gunpowder defenses?Thebigtuna37 Aug 28, 2013
Aug 27, 2013 Jaina vs Lorthermar? Who would win, this is a "Speculative thread" so no one get all mad, I just was doing the Thunder isle scenario, and LT mentioned that he would handle Lady Proudmore" Then I thought to myself.... Can he actually handle Lady Proudmore????!?!?Darmonic120 Aug 27, 2013
Aug 27, 2013 Expansion ends on a High Note for Alliance So says Tom Chilton at his interview with Polygon at Gamescon. What do you think?Zophor101 Aug 27, 2013
Aug 27, 2013 If story was written by this forum. What would we get? Try to include the conflicted opinions and various contradictions from multiple posters all trying to outdo one another as best you can. Just thought it would be something a little fun to post about.Malithen47 Aug 27, 2013
Aug 27, 2013 Why Should the Factions Remain After SoO? It's pointed out, and rather rightly, that there really does have to be a breaking point to the Alliance/Horde conflict. It's pretty contrived, and I'm taking that view now myself. We're about to have something of a watershed moment with Orgrimmar. The Horde is going to be leaderless, broken, and divided. Why on Azeroth is Varian letting them elevate one of their own to become leader of the Horde and picking up the pieces to create future conflict instead of reaching out and ending the very notions of the Horde and Alliance? The Horde is a collection bound by self-interest, but forged in the fires of shared conflict. Well, they're about to have a major shared conflict, fighting their own warchief and the binding force of the Horde alongside the Alliance. Wrathion isn't wrong. A united world isn't a weak world. It's pointed out to him that the Alliance/Horde conflict has made them both strong, but at the same time, it's also weakened them beyond measure through the massive consumption of resources, land, towns, and the sheer scale of suffering. Wrathion wanted it to come about through the Alliance conquering the Horde, but the Horde's already being conquered from within and without. Whether the Alliance and Horde are conflicting or not, there's always going to be a 'hero engine', churning them out just through the sheer multitude of threats the world is always facing and has available. At this point, the Alliance is the blue team, and the Horde is the red team, but that's never truly been the total nature of both of them. The Alliance has its brash and impulsive members, and the Horde has its wise and measured members. Fighting Garrosh has bound the factions (the successful part of the Horde anyway) in a mutual conflict, and decapitated one of the two superpowers of the world. Why let a new head grow though? Why not offer the Kalimdor Horde, the blood elves, and heck, even the Forsaken (long as they swear off the plague, expansionism, and keep to themselves) membership in a new Alliance that transcends the old? It's not like old grudges have ever really been a limiting factor. Did we see people crying out for revenge for Duke Lionheart when Tyrande was all "They're defiling the forest! Kill everything! RAWR!" No, the Night Elves got a 'welcome aboard'. Likewise, you don't see the blood elves whining about how the orcs burned down half of Eversong during the Second War and slaughtered hundreds/thousands. Maybe it's time to bury the hatchet, and focus more on preventing future atrocities than avenging old ones. The Horde's about to be reforged, and Varian's never had a stronger hold over the individual politics of the Alliance. We have a big unifying moment in Orgrimmar, most of the Horde is already alienated from what the Horde is, why not ditch the notion of two separate factions altogether? So long as the two factions are fundamentally separate, there's always going to be some kind of conflict about lands or resources and there's always going to be extraordinarily huge vulnerabilities that third-parties can exploit to wreak havoc. Not to say that can't happen within a unified faction, but at least the mechanisms are in place to solve it in a somewhat civilized manner rather than emissaries meeting in the middle of nowhere getting bushwhacked by Twilight's Hammer.Vesran15 Aug 27, 2013
Aug 27, 2013 Clue: Pandaria Edition Other than the elimination game, we don't really have any lore game, so let's make a new one, if only to have something positive to talk about in this era of darkness. Let's play Clue: Warcraft Edition. The rules are quite simple. 1) Someone of my choice is killed. 2) I give you a list of potential suspects. 3) I give you a list of potential locations. 4) I give you a reason (they are all gonna be abstract, of course). This is the only one were you will also be allowed to chose a reason that isn't in the choices, so long as you specify it and that it is plausible. 5) You pick one of each. 6) You need to invent a plausible lore explanation. About 3 paragraphs maximum, we want people to read your ideas. 7) Bonus points for originality. Here's the structure of your scenario. ... Now, go! And remember to be plausible. Victim Lao-Chin, the Iron Belly Suspects -Lord Taran Zhu -Kil'ruk the Wind-Reaver -Xuen, the White Tiger -Gehkan -Farmer Yoon -Shokia Locations -Vale of Eternal Blossoms -Valley of the Four Winds -Jade Forest -Crane Temple -On a boat, in the middle of the Great Sea -Isle of Giants Reasons -He knew too much -He started it -He talked too much -He was there -He was a key target -Other reason (please specify in the post) Who killed Lao-Chin?Cobble7 Aug 27, 2013
Aug 27, 2013 of course soo is horde centered I think its a lot of over reaction how would it not be. I think blizzard is even hard on the horde since two of the race leaders are flat out villians and the alliance is portrayed as super clean herosSnugli41 Aug 27, 2013