New Player Help and Guides

Dec 29, 2012 Switching realms! Hello, After looking at Freiya's guide on picking a server I have come across the realm Aerie Peak as the most suitable one in relation to my location (New York). I would just like to double check with the community before spending $25 on a realm change for my Lv. 73 Mage. -I am a PvE'er while occasionally joining RBGs. -I don't plan to play in Arena, but I would like to be able to raid/raid old content in the near future. -I'm a casual player. If you guys could please give me some advice, that will be much appreciated.Mimicry3 Dec 29, 2012
Dec 29, 2012 Scroll of resurrection question. I was wondering if we are allowed to grant a Monk up to intant level 80 yet from scroll of res? Someone please link an updated post or link if there is one. I will be doing RAF or using Scroll of Res, but would prefer scroll of res. This is the only post I have about them saying NOT right now or whatever. http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/6922986/Fapslock0 Dec 29, 2012
Dec 29, 2012 what is the easiest epic mount for lvl 70 what is the easiest epic mount to get in wow?Bloodhunted4 Dec 29, 2012
Dec 29, 2012 Good armor with strength? Since I recently switched to prot. I had low attack power, so I was wondering if there was any good armor with strength supply. I also have enchanting with me, trust me I went over 100 somehow, and I can do enchanting from there to increase my stamina. My DPS is 70-100 right now, and I want to increase it to about 120. If you have any ideas of help. Please post them.Fortified2 Dec 29, 2012
Dec 29, 2012 How to Quickly Switch Weapons in a Fight? Hello: I am a begginer Hunter. I would like to start a fight with a bow, but then be able to switch to a sword, or staff once the moster attacks me up close. Any suggestions for doing this quickly? I can't figure out how to do it without involving 3-5 mouse clicks. Thanks, IgorIgorrock6 Dec 29, 2012
Dec 29, 2012 Not new..... just never played these classes. Okay i want to reroll a new character for pvp and was wondering which of these 2 classes is more viable, Has more survivability, And can dish out decent DPS? -Druid.(i know they can heal but is there dps viable for pvp?) -Mage.(I heard there dps is pretty good but is there survivability any good?) Those are my 2 options but i cant seem to make a final decision.Åida5 Dec 29, 2012
Dec 29, 2012 What are dailies? So I hear my guild talk about "Dailies" All the time. It really makes me wonder what the hell they actually are. Are they heroics of some description that you can only do once a day or something? Any help is appreciated :)Hairypriests14 Dec 29, 2012
Dec 29, 2012 My first Dungeon run - HELP! Ok, so I did my first dungeon run last night at lvl 15. I got lucky and had a real good tank and healer because noone died the entire time... but the sceond we all entered they basically went non stop to the end. Noone said one word or anything. I was totally confused the entire time... my screen was FILLED with numbers/health bars/names etc... I had no idea who was attacking what. Ironically after the boss they said I did a good job... I do have years of experience Raiding in EQ and EQ2 so I understand how to work a toon... I guess what I need help on is what game settings, generally, should I have on and off so I can be a better group member? There has to be a guide I just cant find it. I hope I asked that right.... so to be clear: What visuals do I keep or turn on and off... and how do I set up assist macros and such. I am Rogue DPS.Bevo11 Dec 29, 2012
Dec 29, 2012 New to raids, MM Hunter DPS low? Hey I'm trying to gauge how effective I am performing in raids but i'm finding that I fit around the bottom of damage charts doing between 25k-32k dps. Is this an appropriate DPS for my gear score or should I re-evaluate something? Any help would be appreciated :)Mavenan5 Dec 29, 2012
Dec 29, 2012 Compare Characters I want to switch realms but I dont know which one to take. I have two alts (same level) but only want to transfer one. Does anyone know of a good comparison tool to help with the decision? Thank youCrownandcoke3 Dec 29, 2012
Dec 29, 2012 TellMeWhen add-on help i followed the instruiction on every youtube vid for the tellmewhen add on but my thunderclap still wont show the timer on the tellmewhen bar why not?Áscendence2 Dec 29, 2012
Dec 29, 2012 need a new class ive tried every class there is and i cant say any of em really stuck out to me. i leveled all of em to at least 50. im not sure what to do in this situation haha. any ideas?Anuurn4 Dec 29, 2012
Dec 29, 2012 should a newbie buy Cataclysm and Pandera ? Is there any reason a newbie would buy the 2nd and 3rd games sets Cataclysm and Pandara ? It appears it will be a year or more before I work thru the games in the Battle Chest WoW. Any abilities or upgrades I would get now? TIAReddervish1 Dec 29, 2012
Dec 29, 2012 escape from durnhold exit? doing old dungions and raids. I cant find the exit from Old Hillsbrad Looked up on wowhead but no info on how to leave so I would be back at Cavern of Time. Plan on leading our guild run thru here some time soon. I would like to know the in and out cause I know they are bound to ask.Mizjoha1 Dec 29, 2012
Dec 29, 2012 Cant get to Pandaria is my game glitched? I'm level 85 and I'm not getting the quest in SW to go to Pandaria. This is REALLY anoying me! HELP ME PLEASE!Searahk1 Dec 29, 2012
Dec 29, 2012 Find Herbs not working?! Hi, I have learned Herbalism and so I am trying to go, gather herbs etc. However, even though Find Herbs is the only tracker I have checked, nothing appears on my map, and so I can't find herbs. I am playing with the Battle Chest (i.e. no Catacalysm or Panderia) but surely this doesn't make a difference? I am sure there is a really obvious answer, so please humor me :-) Thanks!Sagiso4 Dec 29, 2012
Dec 29, 2012 LF Balanced PvE server. I am looking for a good PvE server that has a good ratio of Horde and Alliance members (Preferably one with a solid amount of player but not to much to lag me out while playing). One that also does a lot of raiding casual and serious. Also one that is West coast.Delhunter1 Dec 29, 2012
Dec 29, 2012 Important Question - Need Some Information!!! My friend and I used the R-a-F feature so that I could come back to WoW, and so i played for a few days on the Starter Edition. I upgraded all the way to the Deluxe Digital Edition of Mists of Pandaria, and I understand that there is a 72 hour waiting period before all of the Starter Edition restrictions will be lifted. But when will I get my Quillen Mount from purchasing the Deluxe Digital Edition of MoP? I am really concerned about the transaction because it cost me an additional $25 to get the deluxe edition and I dont have the mount or the pet yet.....Moondezara2 Dec 29, 2012
Dec 29, 2012 Need help with my 70 twink rogue! i'm lost Hello, i was just curious as to what the BiS gear is for a pvp sub rogue, here and there i am hearing that my gear is bad, then again im hearing that it is good, i'm not sure please respond answering my question: BiS armor for pvp sub rogue and BiS weapons for a pvp sub rogue! :DAgilitystab13 Dec 29, 2012
Dec 29, 2012 Returning player, which class?? Hi. I'm thinking of resubbing. I am having trouble deciding which class to make my main. My choices are Hunter, Mage, and Druid. I'll be honest, I probably wont be resubbed for too long, so i'm looking for which of these three is the most fun, the best at facerolling, and isn't getting completely raped in the upcoming patch. This is for PvP only. ThanksIkyteu7 Dec 29, 2012
Dec 29, 2012 Scroll of Resurrection: Don't login for trial What happens if I don't log in during the 7 days free time? I accepted the offer to return then I had to go out of town last minutes notice. Will I still be able to get the free 80 and transfer?Ranged1 Dec 29, 2012
Dec 28, 2012 Brand new to WoW, with some questions. I'm pretty new to WoW (<1 week). I have all the expansions, and I'd like to figure out what to do. After I left the starting island, it just seems like I'm running around doing fetch quests. Am I missing something? Should I start a new char in a more populated server? Should I play differently? Should I do more research? Is there some sort of main quest that I overlooked? Don't get me wrong, WoW is pretty fun, but I have the feeling that I'm missing something here.Daikenkai14 Dec 28, 2012
Dec 28, 2012 Multiple enemies As a warlock I keep getting into situations where I am attacked by 3 or more strong opponents. Not sure how to survive this. I am able to defeat ony one of them at a time, but not all at once. Can't seem to find out how to handle this.Krenniel2 Dec 28, 2012
Dec 28, 2012 the do's and donts of wow.. from a novice (feel free to add on, but this is just my take on do's and do nots from previous experience) Do 1. do: have fun, but not at the cost of others! 2. do quests if you want, hang out, talk to friends, eat dinner.. etc. 3. do pet battles if you want to be a great pet tamer 4. do make friends, and duel and quest together. Do not: Beg for gold shamelessly (it gets annoying) spam duel invites (sometimes people don't want to duel.) call them insulting names and threaten to take away all the bacon in the bacon vault! (you'd be in big trouble if you did!) kill steal (if it's an accident, i guess it's alright..) yell obscenities demand to be king of the world (you'll probably get laughed at.) while some of these are just for lols but most people dont take too kindly to those that beg for gold all the time and spam duel invites, guild invites, and just be rude to new players, other people, it's like real life, treat those like how you'd want to be treated. feel free to add on to this list if you wantMarkyo7 Dec 28, 2012
Dec 28, 2012 Kill or Quest? I am curious... I have spent a lot of time on quests..... ones where I have to run to the other side of the map to kill like 10 creatures, then run all the way back for very little experience. In that time I am running I keep thinking to myself... would it just be better for me to not do any (or very few) quests and just kill MOB after MOB in order to level faster? Yes I understand immersing myself in the game, building rep and things like that... but my question is: Can you level just as fast or faster by simply killing MOB's instead of just doing quests? Again, this is about what would make you level faster.Bevo7 Dec 28, 2012
Dec 28, 2012 Add Ons I heard add ons can be very useful to improving your game, but I also hear there are specific add ons for specific classes. Will I have to uninstall it everytime I switch to a different character? Or will the add on only be in effect with one of my characters. I am assuming the former because a lot of people only play on their main anyway.Kevenfu1 Dec 28, 2012
Dec 28, 2012 Realm Selection Help I been looking for a realm to select for a while and I thought I would ask around to see others opinions. Requirements: Normal (EST) - Medium Population (Higher than medium is fine but I don't want a queue.) I would like the realm name to be Alliance based. I been selecting Stormrage over and over since he is a big Alliance figure. I thought about Elune and Eonar too but they seem too plain. The name of the realm I am on does matter to me, yes I know I am OCD and that is fine with me. So could you people give me any suggestions? If so can you follow these guidelines? For Example: Realm Name: Stormrage Explanation as to why this realm name is important to the Alliance: Malfurion Stormrage an Archdruid of the Night Elves. Wife is Night Elf Leader. Which race is this realm name most influential in: Night Elf Which class is this realm resemble if any: Druid Any Comments: Blah Thanks in advanced.Xiokar5 Dec 28, 2012
Dec 28, 2012 Comings back into world of Warcraft I just finished downloading mop and I've been interested in somone using the scroll of resurrection on me, if I already bought mop will I get my free lvl 80? Also since I haven't bought a new sub yet and i can only post in this forum, is there anyone that would be willing to SOR me so i could come play with you on your server as a healer tank or dps. Also what classes have changed a lot? I used to play a hunter but they always get nerfed, and I don't want any trolls saying hunters were op in cata cuz we weren't, every other class you could face roll. I'm looking for advice on what class to play this xpac since I wanna focus on PvE moreDagdudehunt2 Dec 28, 2012
Dec 28, 2012 Arenas I was going to post this in the Arena forum, but I was not sure just what kind of feedback I would get. I am fast approaching my first 90, and I am very interested in doing rated bgs and arenas. I had someone invite me to an Arena group at level 85 but I had to reject because I had no idea what to do in the Arena. As a Warlock DPS, what type of enemy should I target first? I have watched videos of WoW arenas and it seems very coordinated, which is why I would like some advice before just running in and shooting at things.Valthic1 Dec 28, 2012
Dec 28, 2012 DKs and SoR Hey guys. Not exactly a new player.. in fact, completely the opposite... but I've found something I don't know! I'm SoRing my second account to get the free level 80 for my alliance server, and am making a DK for it since I want to have something I know how to play already. Do I have to complete the DK starting area before it will allow me to use the free level up?Craorach5 Dec 28, 2012
Dec 28, 2012 I'M GETTING BACK INTO WOW! :D What do I need to know? Is there anything I can get? JUST TELL ME COOL STUFF I SHOULD KNOW! <3Càs4 Dec 28, 2012
Dec 28, 2012 Health Bar How do I put a health bar overtop of my head so its easy to see? Cant seem to find any option for it. Ive prob been staring at it all day and its not registering. ;-)Chooc1 Dec 28, 2012
Dec 28, 2012 I'm considering returning, a few questions. Hello Fellow Blizzard gamer's. I used to play WoW way back in vanilla shortly after launch. I was a t1/t2 geared Hunter, and also possess the ZG Raptor mount on alliance. After burning crusade was launched, my RL friends and I switched over from Arthas Alliance to Horde on Darkspear in order to play with some other rl friends who were there. A few months ago one of my friends sent me a week trial which upgraded my account to Cata and turned my 60 Hunter into an 80. I was very busy that week and didn't have much time to mess around and really decide if I wanted to buy MoP and get back into the game. I managed to level from 80-82 during that week, but didn't explore enough to really help me decide. I mainly just queued for level 80 cata dungeons and got those two levels through that. I noticed, however, that everything felt so much different. I know I've been out of the game for a very long time. In which time, obviously much has changed. I was very confused with my setup/specs/skills and if I were to come back, I know i would eventually get back into the swing of things. I was always a big battlegrounds fan, and was in a high end raiding guild. I put countless hours into Molten Core and Blackwing Lair and a bit beyond that before really slowing down my play before eventually stopping somewhere in Burning Crusade. My main concerns are things such as, How is the pvp nowadays compared to what I would remember pre-BC? How is endgame pve content nowadays compared to what I remember in the days of 40man raids. I know there are no longer 40mans, but even with the reduced raid size, how does the content feel compared to the original endgame content. Are there any old school vanilla players around that might be able to give me their perspective on how the game is now compared to what it was back then? How would you rate what the game is now compared to what I remember? Do you feel it's progressively improved? I know you cant make my decision for me as far as returning to the game goes, but would greatly appreciate any comments or insight. Like I said, i'm greatly considering returning to WoW but just wanted to read some of your thoughts and such before doing so. Thank you in advance for any comments or info! -TrumpkinTrumpkin2 Dec 28, 2012
Dec 28, 2012 whats new in mop hello, i recently came back after quitting wow for a few months.i missed the whole mop update and everything after that. where can i find out wats new in mop,and all patches after the expansion? thanksOrames2 Dec 28, 2012
Dec 28, 2012 Getting stomped in BGs... So as you can see I'm low leveled and I need some advice in the PvP areas. I have always seemed to get stomped in bgs. How do I do the best I can with out heirloom armor? (I'm working on acquiring honor points) I'm just really bad at battles like Warsong Gulch and Arathi Basin. Help and advice is very appreciated thanks! (I'm starter so I can't level and get more honor points then mail the armor to lower leveled characters. But I am working on upgrading.) Any info for any class will also help since I have many toons. :DSkander7 Dec 28, 2012
Dec 28, 2012 Battlechest Update, Lost everything So I got the battlechest that has burning and Lich King, but I started playing the starter account before I put in the authentication key, but today when I put in the key it deleted all of my characters, is that supposed to happen? Can I get my characters back?? And also does the full update only last a month?Crystalmoons6 Dec 28, 2012
Dec 28, 2012 Quick Battle Chest Question.. I have recently downloaded the starter edition of Wow and was planning on upgrading to the battle chest with Lich and Burning Crusade. If I purchase the battle chest online with Blizzard's game code. Will I need to re-purchase these codes to install on a separate computer? This will all be under one account, but if I wanted to play on another computer would I need to pay once more? Thanks in advance!Desert3 Dec 28, 2012
Dec 28, 2012 Possibly returning with another player We are debating about coming back but we'd like to get into a guild before we pay up for the game/add-ons that we don't have yet. Horde Bladefist server, is it worthwhile to come back and would anyone be willing to help out a couple of relative newbies out?Navathri8 Dec 28, 2012
Dec 28, 2012 Black Temple Raid Question So, I was soloing the black temple raid (i've never done it before, I started in Cata), and after I killed Teron Gorefiend I'm not sure where to go next. I'm saw a door that i'm pretty sure i'm supposed to open, but I don't know how to open it. Can anybody help me out?Equus6 Dec 28, 2012
Dec 28, 2012 Scroll of Resurrection transfer question Hello if my friend resurrected me can I get the level 80 on one server and also level to 90 on the same server, then transfer to my friends for free when I hit 90? Or do you have to do it all in one shot.Ranged3 Dec 28, 2012
Dec 27, 2012 Picking a class Do you want to have a permanent pet? Is a temporary one okay with you? Or does it not matter if you have a pet? I would rather not have a pet but a temporary one might be ok. Are you partial to cloth wearers or do you want a little more bulk in your armor? Either but I don't want to be to squishy in a fight What have you played in other games before? Maybe you played a caster in another game and liked it, or have a fondness for barbarians/warriors. WoW might have a rough equivalent for you! I used to be a mage in another MMO Do you want to be able to heal yourself and others, or are you okay with lacking those spells? Well if it will help in PvP then some form of healing would be good Which is your preference: attacking enemies from a distance or being up in their faces? I'm not sure I like both Are you the sneaky type or do you take pleasure ripping out internal organs as a greeting right off the bat? Their organs on the ground is always a nice sight XD Do you want to be on the front lines with a shield or watching over your group to keep them safe? Front lines >:D Will you be leveling with a friend or mostly on your own? If you're doing it with a friend, what are they planning to level, or have they not decided yet? Alone Have you read about classes at all yet? If so, what stands out as interesting to you? Have you tried any classes already? I've read about some but none of them seem to stand out. Are you interested in the lore or story of Warcraft? Some classes have a lot of easily-absorbed lore while others are a little "less detailed" in their history. I do like reading the lore but it isn't to big of a deal. Interested in roleplaying at all? This goes with the previous question, but some races/classes are easier to roleplay as a newbie than others (with lots of history to adhere to). No Do any of the races stick out to you as being attractive? Not every race can be every class, so if you have an early favorite (or if you really dislike one in particular) this can narrow things down. I like all the races with certain match ups like blood elf-mage orc-warrior undead-warlock Thanks for the help!Duhtroll6 Dec 27, 2012
Dec 27, 2012 PvP gear tiers? I'm a bit confused on PvP gearing. I'm close to hitting 90 and was wondering what the difference is with PvP tier sets. I hear tier 2 PvP sets require 2200 rating. Is this the purple malevolent gladiator stuff? or is it just upgraded from that? How long would this take and what should I do for it? Thanks!Anjloh1 Dec 27, 2012
Dec 27, 2012 Trying to get a fix on things I would ask of these questions in the warrior forums, but there is a blood elf troll, that just loves to to troll those forums. So I figured id be safe asking here. I was in a scenario today, to see how the story went, for the alliance landing. I ran into a slight problem, I couldn't hold argo on the boss at all. I was using taunts, defensive stance, thunder clap, and bleeds to hold argo. It was nearly impossible to hold argo. Did they change something in regards to tanking? I know they nerfed a few things on the warrior, but nothing stood out to me as to effect me in this way. Second question does anyone actually pvp at the faction landing sites? I would like to do world pvp as battlegrounds have only gotten worse over the years, not better. Another question I noticed they added another rep, but the quartermaster didnt seem to have anything of value. So I am wondering what is the point of that specific rep, at the alliance landing site in pandaria. The last question is, are people really getting that bad? When I was in the scenario the two other people I was with, were calling each other noobs about two seconds in, and swearing up a storm. I was thinking about learning pve tanking, and the boss fights for the dungeons, but if people are mostly this hostile, it would not be worth my time. Just wondering what the general feel is on this.Sworoth8 Dec 27, 2012
Dec 27, 2012 Heirloom Gear Alright so I was doing some research with them, and I was wondering, how exactly can I get them, and how much will they cost for a Hunter set? I've got about 2500 g to work with and I can get more if I keep mining lol I know I need to go to the Darkmoon faire to get them. Any help is appreciated guys, thanks.Kevbo7 Dec 27, 2012
Dec 27, 2012 Coming back to wow I've been gone since early cata, I left because my computer couldn't run it so I got a new computer this year. I've been wondering where I should start, Im downloading MOP ATM but while it does I've been looking for info on if I should continue my hunter lvl 85 or level up my 80dk or 80 paladin to 90. I wanna focus on PvE but as in other expansions hunters r good in early xpac but then nerfed to hell. I could use some input on whatclass I should play and if someone would be interested in a Scroll of Ressurection. Please feel free to post any info here that would help.Dagdudehunt5 Dec 27, 2012
Dec 27, 2012 Why does it show Garalon twice? Just wondering why it shows Garalon twice when you're looking at the progression of someone. Like even if you cleared LFR, it still shows that you need to kill Garalon (again?). Thanks :)Jtim1 Dec 27, 2012
Dec 27, 2012 Can't find next quest in Teldrassil? Can someone help me cause I have no idea where the next quest is.I've done the rare earth quest and all that and the next quests and the Lady Sarkath and the Bloodfeather Belt quest but then they just stopped.I don't know if I have done the next Jade Phial and I would check but I can't find the freaking dude who gives u the quests.Can someone please help me???!?!?!?!Lilyin13 Dec 27, 2012
Dec 27, 2012 Where can I find Oben Rageclaw's body? Newbie here! I was able to get the charm to be able to use on Obens dead body. But I can not figure out how to find Oben's body in the cave to kill? Where do I go in the cave to release Oben Rageclaw's spirit? Thanks!Neytirikorra2 Dec 27, 2012
Dec 27, 2012 BG question Is there only 2 maps for bgs or will I unlock more?Brewpaws2 Dec 27, 2012
Dec 27, 2012 First time back since WoTLK Hey guys, just renewed my account today and started downloading the client. It's been nearly 3 years since i played so im a little rusty. Just a couple questions I was wondering while I try to re-learn everything. Should I buy Cata AND MoP at the same time, or just get Cata for now? Or will i miss out on stuff if i dont have both? Also, the client seems pretty large at 22gb, and the login screen has MoP stuff on it, so does that mean it will be up to date if i do decide to purchase the expansions? Or do i have to sit through 2 more huge downloads and updates before i can play? Any help is appreciated! Thanks in advanceNash5 Dec 27, 2012