Death Knight

Mar 22, 2013 Questions about Advanced 2H Frost Mechanics I recently started playing my Death Knight again and have been reading up on the ways to maximize my DPS. I am left with a few questions that I have not been able to find the answers to: 1) Plague Leech + Rime: Is it optimal to save a Rime proc if my Blood Plague will be falling off relatively soon (say within 10 seconds of the Rime proc) and Plague Leech will be off cooldown? This strategy guarantees that you will gain a Death Rune when Blood Plague falls off (Plague Leech [+1 Death Rune] > Howling Blast [free with Rime proc] > Plague Strike [-1 Unholy or Death Rune -- which you would have to spend regardless of Plague Leech usage]); however, you risk overwriting your Rime proc in the time span that you are delaying it, which would be lost DPS. If it is optimal to save a Rime proc, is there a time frame in which this holds (i.e. within 5 seconds of Blood Plague expiration, 10 seconds, etc.). 2) Pillar of Frost: Is it ever optimal to delay Pillar of Frost to align it with a trinket, Bloodlust or a boss mechanic? 3) Soul Reaper: Is it still optimal to bank a rune for Soul Reaper if you only have your pair of permanently converted Death Runes usable and you will not have a Death or Frost Rune recharge by the time Soul Reaper is off cooldown? I know it is ideal to cast Soul Reaper on cooldown, but does that outweigh the loss of rune regeneration on your Death Rune pair by delaying them? Your options in this situation are to: a. Use Obliterate and delay Soul Reaper until next Frost or Death Rune recharges after Soul Reaper is off cooldown (lost DPS from not casting Soul Reaper on cooldown). b. Save the Death Runes and use Soul Reaper on cooldown (lost DPS from wasting rune regeneration time). c. Use Howling Blast and save the remaining Death Rune to use Soul Reaper on cooldown (lost DPS from wasting a Death Rune on Howling Blast that could have been used on Obliterate in the future). Let me know what you think, and explain why if you can. Thanks!Jampa4 Mar 22, 2013
Mar 22, 2013 DW vs 2H Frost Good Morning. I've browsed through about 40 pages of posts and have not found a post that specifically answers the question. I am proficient with WoL, but I haven't found a comparison yet that answers the question with finality. Background on Question. Skip if you don't care and just want to get to the point / question: I lead raids for my guild (we are a new group that is just hitting the gear level to down Horridon now), and our top DPS is a DW Frost DK. She is torn between remaining DW or going 2H because sites like Noxxic *claim* 2H is better. We all know that Noxxic is a great tool from a very loosely relative perspective, but tons of factors come into plays on raids that make it irrelevant. Also, there are very few fights in raids currently that are only single target (Except Jin'Rokh I believe), thereby playing to the mastery of DW frost a bit better. TL/DR QUESTION: If we have two equally geared DK's, one DW and other 2H, which will do more DPS, why will they do more DPS, and what evidence supports this? I'm looking for WoL type data if possible so I can provide this to her for us to review. thank you very very much in advance.Errath7 Mar 22, 2013
Mar 22, 2013 Tank using DPS gear. I run a casual raid team and I'm looking for some guidance to a dilemma that has come up in our group. The early plate drops in ToT have haste mastery on them. The problem arising is that we have a DPS DK and a Blood DK. Since we hardly raided T14, said piece would be large upgrades for either parties. My stance is that because it's a DPS piece (belt and pants), it would be more beneficial for the DPS. The tank argues that because it has the almighty mastery, that the overall stat increase from ilvl would make up for the haste which he could reforge into parry or whatever. The point I'm trying to get across is that the group has less than stellar DPS, and not so much tanks and healers being a problem. I'm not against tanks using a specific piece blessed by Christ himself to have mastery on it, but still feel a DPS piece should be prioritized to DPS first, and then divvied out to tanks as they see fit. I just want to read different points of view from DK tanks, DPS and raid leaders. This can easily turn FUBAR and I need to see things from an unbiased point of view. Thanks for your time. <3Healingmilk12 Mar 22, 2013
Mar 22, 2013 Best spec for PVE in 5.2? what is the best choice for PVE in 5.2, frost or unholy?Lëo3 Mar 22, 2013
Mar 22, 2013 What's your Ghoul Leap/Gnaw macro? I use this: /petattack [target=focus,exists,nodead] /cast [target=focus,exists,nodead] Leap; Leap /cast [target=focus,exists,nodead] Gnaw; Gnaw I compiled this from a few sources, but I'm not sure it's right. It's supposed to auto attach, Leap and Gnaw the focused target, or the current target if there's no focus set. However it doesn't seem to cast Leap or Gnaw all the time, maybe works 25% of the time. Can anyone correct this macro or tell me what's wrong? Thanks much!Tessah6 Mar 22, 2013
Mar 22, 2013 Blood Tank stats Q I'm a 77 blood tank. 22k ish hp, 21.37% parry and 13.67% dodge chance. Question = should I have more strength? I tanked sun well ( old bc raid but was fun) I didn't drop below 17k hp and never once lost aggro. BUT both healers argue that I should take more strength. I know it's low level but we plan to do ICC Saturday night cos we'll be 80& I'd like do advice before I kill LKTommytiger6 Mar 22, 2013
Mar 22, 2013 Twinking DK in BGs Hello fellow DKs, I am planning to get Battlemaster using this toon, on my way to 90. I'm planning to do this by freezing my XP, getting BiS gear for every bracket and then just BGing until I ding. My question: What spec is best for which bracket? Any advice is welcome, I just haven't played my DK since Wrath, and deleted him to remake this one, so I don't know anything about the class as it stands currently. Thank you for your input in advance :)Magnet3 Mar 22, 2013
Mar 22, 2013 Unholy runes for master frost? Hey everybody, I was liking the idea of going dual wield instead of 2h, so I tried the rotation on a target dummy...my question is, what do I use my unholy runes on? The only 2 abilities that use unholy runes are death and decay, a 30 sec cd, and plague strike, which you also only need to do every 30 sec in order to refresh its DoT. So what do do with all those unholy runes that are left unspent?Ashclaw5 Mar 22, 2013
Mar 22, 2013 does frost pull alot of aggro this is my alt, therefore, i do not know this class very well. i was in a 5 man (just using which ever strongest ability that was immediately available) and the tank said "you wanna tank? stop pulling sh*t!" i apologized and told him that i may have hit death grip by accident. in reality, i have no idea what i did, and im sure i didnt hit death grip. does frost have some abilities that are really high in threat?Aerecles4 Mar 22, 2013
Mar 22, 2013 Is there a macro or something that can... Automatically summon your ghoul and hit Death Pact when Purgatory procs?Jagatron5 Mar 22, 2013
Mar 22, 2013 dual weild blood spec viable in 5.2?? What's the change like? Anyone tried it? Is it possible to do? Or worth it?Tommytiger15 Mar 22, 2013
Mar 22, 2013 Threat Iv cleared all of this expansion with a DK tank. I find that now going into Throne heroics and even through normal that my DK isnt holding threat. Its to the point on heroic jin'rohk that I every time he taunts I have to drop off for 20-30 seconds and never use keg smash while hes tanking which is a huge dps loss for the raid itself since that 2-3 minutes per encounter that I am sitting around twiddling my thumbs. Even through the full encounter hes doing ~50-60k dps compared to my 80+k. I dont know what else i can do because the boss switching back to me on any attempt is raid breaking and has caused us to wipe. Any advice on what we can do to solve this problem?Moppinfloors5 Mar 22, 2013
Mar 22, 2013 Thinking about DKs For awhile since the start of Mists of Pandaria, I've had issues with my Retribution Paladin, or rather just not even like the changes, and was thinking of gearing my Death Knight for PvP who has just been sitting in my character list. I never gave him a chance since he hit 90 and seeing how hard they rofl-stomp a lot of people in battlegrounds and what not, I thought i'd give him a second chance. I'd honestly like to be able to deal constant burst damage to be able to be an actual threat to my enemies, especially casters. also I like the whole Dark Knight concept of them. What are some of your opinions on Frost DKs or DKs in general in pvp? I'd also like to know some places, or videos, where I could find some handy macros, pvp tips, gems, reforge, addons, and I guess rotations for DKs. Thank You.Vardren7 Mar 22, 2013
Mar 22, 2013 Question about DKs Army of the Dead (PvP) Why exactly cant DKs summon Army of the Dead in Arenas? Even if it is a bit powerful, do you think Blizz could trim it down to allow in Arenas?Darican8 Mar 22, 2013
Mar 22, 2013 Threat of Tharassian and expertise. Any correlation? Or is threat of tharassian not affected by exp?Papilon6 Mar 22, 2013
Mar 22, 2013 No Undead Army ? After years of playing Wow and seeing changes, I should not be shocked. I decided to take a break from raiding since playing my DK and you cannot use army in a RBG....though a hunter can call a mess of pets, every 5 minutes still.. Am i the only one, or does this not make sense ?Subrival6 Mar 22, 2013
Mar 22, 2013 BloodBoil does more damage than HeartStrike?! Jk, we are all tired of these threads, stupid lowbies.Opexy6 Mar 22, 2013
Mar 22, 2013 Blood Boil So, at my current level, blood boil's damage just wrecks anything else. I don't see a point to heart strike anymore in my blood spec, and while I'm in frost it does more damage than literally every spell except for a crit obliterate. I was just wondering, will I be spamming this ugly ability from here to 90? Or is there some level where the other abilities magically pull ahead?Drogal7 Mar 22, 2013
Mar 22, 2013 CMs as DPS Is it best to go as DW for trash packs and swap to a 2h for bosses or small pulls? Also, is Unholy viable for CMs or is it lacking too much burst? Thanks.Mitri5 Mar 22, 2013
Mar 22, 2013 Addon to track diseases on multiple targets? What is the best addon to track diseases on multiple targets, in particular for pvp? ThanksRanged3 Mar 22, 2013
Mar 22, 2013 Trinket Question Spark of Zandalar LFR or Relic of Xuen (Str)? I have replaced my Relic of Xuen with LFR Spark of Zandalar, and my other trinket is Lei Shen's final orders. Have I correctly replaced my Trinket? Unsure - any thoughts?Kadajj3 Mar 22, 2013
Mar 21, 2013 2pc T14 - How long to keep? So was just wondering, picked up the t15 glove token the other night, however, is the stat upgrade from the t14 gloves worth it if I'm losing the 2pc bonus i.e. 4% buff to obliterate damage? Should I hold out for another t15 piece before equipping the gloves? All advice appreciated.Alardra4 Mar 21, 2013
Mar 21, 2013 So last night i started leveling as frost.... And wooooow I'm like for lack of a better word a non stop killing machine lol.My only concern is that i eventually plan on going blood to tank which is going to be harder to gear out. What are your suggestions for gathering blood gear before 90 while leveling frost.Deadgem2 Mar 21, 2013
Mar 21, 2013 LFR Giving FDK 2h Weapons Instead of 1h? Why is LFR suddenly giving out 2h weapons to FDKs? In Vaults and HoF I got multiples of the 1h weapons and never saw a 2h. In Terrace and now Throne of Thunder I can't get anything but 2h weapons to drop. Aren't 2h weapons for Unholy and Blood? Or am I off on the wrong track?Vaylianne11 Mar 21, 2013
Mar 21, 2013 More useful (pvp) heal, snare break, or speed Debating on Gnome Worgen or Draenei. (only ones that i can stand to look at).Papilon11 Mar 21, 2013
Mar 21, 2013 Just want to make sure I'm on the right track I think I'm in my tank spec right now, but I'm mainspec Frost. Current ilvl of 467. In LFR, I pull about 50-60k sustained DPS. With good procs, I've reached 67k. Is this about on par? Should I be higher? Any tips you may have to squeak out the extra DPS?Thrakkra1 Mar 21, 2013
Mar 21, 2013 Oh Items how dare you... Should I still keep my chest piece which is providing me my 2 set bonus even though I have a 502 chest meow? The item in question Talonrender ChestplateFálrin5 Mar 21, 2013
Mar 21, 2013 Tier 14 4 piece bonus Recently I got new items, and broke my LFR t14 4 piece bonus. I found something that really is troubling; At an Ilvl of 493 I pulled a 97.8k DPS in LFR sha. At Ilvl 496, I pulled a mere 86.3 on LFR sha. The main change was the removal of my 4 piece bonus, I gained around 600 str in turn. How could there be such a huge change? Granted, the second attempt I had no food buff and forgot to flask, also no heroism was used, but those 3 factors could not have reduced my damage that much. Both attempts were identical in that I was not pulled away from the sha, and I focused only on the boss. Could it be just bad luck, was there a stealth nerf? (The 2 attempts had a time difference of 1 week exactly) could the lack of heroism, food and flask really make that much of a difference? Or was breaking the tier bonus the cause of my dps loss?Spirea3 Mar 21, 2013
Mar 21, 2013 Kilrak jaws of terror Doesnt exist, I say this as I am disenchanting my 5th or 6th Axe from Sha, honestly lost count. Yes I am frost, and tbh I do like 2h frost. But I would like to have the option. It just seems ridiculous that every week I get another axe to disenchant. To everyone who is after 1 of these axes or had trouble getting them, I am sorry for my rant, wish I could start passing em out to people in need =/Morouga5 Mar 21, 2013
Mar 21, 2013 Need some help getting that DPS... K so http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-em6lnmjt592f1sde/sum/damageDone/?s=8795&e=9275 here's my log. I can't seem to get my dps to meet that of my peers. Can anyone help me out here? I honestly don't feel like i have a bunch of downtime. Maybe i'm just doing my cooldowns wrong, or something...Nagoya7 Mar 21, 2013
Mar 21, 2013 Quick dps and gear question As above.I do about 45-50k dps sustainted single target with my gear, do upwards of 65-70k when all my procs are up. Just wondering if im doing fine or if im under where i should be with regards to damage. any input on the matter? and with regards to the pants, they are the best i had for both dps and tanking (was an upgrade to 463 blues in both cases) so have to make do with what i got put this up on the dps forums didnt get a reply ;__; so hoping i could get some help hereGreathammer4 Mar 21, 2013
Mar 21, 2013 In need of DK comp suggestions I am looking to rejoin the real side of arena and start doing 3v3 again. I want to know what class would fit best with my self and a Disc priest. I don't want to be stuck doing 2s forever as it's kinda lame. Thanks in advance.Lilliarah3 Mar 21, 2013
Mar 21, 2013 My fellow Unholy DK's. I have a question. Do MW Monks give you trouble? They're squishy as hell but for the life of me I cannot stick on them. Close to kill? Hi Disarm. Hi Ring of Peace. Hi super roll away across the world. Hi teleporting like a Warlock. I killed two in Arena earlier today, once by trinketing the disarm and the other... I really don't know, I had him ghoul stunned and took him from 50% to 0. I was just glad it was over. The other times I just beat on their partner until we managed to CC chain them to death.Escitalopram7 Mar 21, 2013
Mar 21, 2013 So warlocks got their epic quest... I think it's reasonable to guess that every class will get their own epic quest/story at some point in time that will put your skill to the test and give some sort aesthetic reward at the end. So the question I ask, is what sort of reward would you like to see Death Knights get from this and what sort of mechanics in the encounter would you like to see? Keep in mind the reward must be 100% vanity so we can keep a high skill cap for the quest line. Off the top of my head, I'd like to have a Mini Gluth replace some of our AotD minions or even be an optional replacement for our summoned ghoul. As far as mechanics goes, I only really play Blood but I'd say an encounter that has some spike damage that you have to save Death Strikes for otherwise you will die would be good, maybe in conjunction with Purgatory.Cresto28 Mar 21, 2013
Mar 21, 2013 Bg & eventually Arena Partner Hey guys im new to serious pvping and was wondering what goes well with dw frost dk's and if any one wanted to join up with me for some bg funJustinc0 Mar 21, 2013
Mar 21, 2013 rolling blood bugged? hey guys ive been having trouble with rolling blood not refreshing disieses on certen targets on ille of thunder and ile of giants and i was wondering if this is intended?Rordo4 Mar 21, 2013
Mar 21, 2013 Chilblains vs asphyxiate What specific healer classes in 2s should I use chilblains or asphyxiated for? -unholy dk/ disc priest is my team compIllysium7 Mar 21, 2013
Mar 21, 2013 The more I Arena The more I hate my class.Myboy20 Mar 21, 2013
Mar 21, 2013 Stupid macro #showtooltip Death Pact /use [nopet]Raise Dead /targetexact Ebon Gargoyle /use Death Pact /stopmacro [harm] /targetlasttarget macro doesnt work for gargoyle can someone help meAlthiar6 Mar 21, 2013
Mar 20, 2013 New treasure scenario is classist. yes i'm putting this is the CS forum. B/c I find it quite funny you guys create content that can be done once a week that certain classes have a ridiculous advantage on. I doubt as a DK I will even get some of the achievements required until anything that place might get me is worthless. Thx Blizz.Onyxrosa8 Mar 20, 2013
Mar 20, 2013 Thinking of going DK- how to learn runes Hey all. I'm seriously considering starting a dwarf DK and making him my main. Everyone has said leveling a DK is harsh until about 75. Ok. But what about learning how the rune system works? Any tips, advice, or sites you can point me to where I can educate myself on how the DK runes work? Like Runes 101 info? Thanks.Obmi7 Mar 20, 2013
Mar 20, 2013 How a DPS geared DK can get tank geared what is the best way of going about acquiring a set of decent tank gear? i tanked in cataclysm and wanted to try DPS this expansion, but i would like to go back and see how tanking is now, but i dont have any tanking gear... i could run heroics and try to build a set, but thats pretty low item level, some reforging on current gear might even be better than heroic gear. i could start buying tanking valor pieces, but that would take a long time to build a set, and id be left behind if i wanted to go back to DPS so how should i go about it? i would like to tank LFR to try it outEvisolace4 Mar 20, 2013
Mar 20, 2013 When I take a 60k crit to the face - - but can only crit about 25k myself, it makes me ask what I'm doing wrong. I'm a scrub at pvp and hardly know what I'm doing, but still. What am I doing? >.>Malmström10 Mar 20, 2013
Mar 20, 2013 For leveling 85-90.... Is blood the way to go or would frost be more beneficial..Deadgem12 Mar 20, 2013
Mar 20, 2013 DK dual specialization So i'm trying to do dual specialization as frost/blood and when I go to the trainers none of them give me the option to do it. I've been to all three dk trainers in the ebon hold and none of them gave me the option to do dual specialization. Help?Grotash1 Mar 20, 2013
Mar 20, 2013 Interested in tanking as DK I have been playing since mid BC but for some reason I have been intimidated to be a tank. I will be honest i am not the best player and I dont know all the fights extremely well but i am decent and a quick learner when i put my mind to it. So i have been thinking of making a tank because it is the one thing i have never given a shot. So for a noob tank is a blood DK a good way to go?Or is it best to go another class and start from level 1? Thanks in advance for any feedback.Epsillon3 Mar 20, 2013
Mar 20, 2013 Aesthetic annoyances and DW Is anyone else annoyed that DW's most spammy ability (howling blast) is not only a ranged attack, but one that sheathes your weapons too? What are the chances we at LEAST get an animation that utilizes your weapons in such a way that it doesn't look silly to spam it like we kinda have to do.Heckscream1 Mar 20, 2013
Mar 20, 2013 Unholy haste breakpoint? I know that there is a breakpoint for haste as unholy where crit becomes more valuable per point, I am curious is there a set general point for this break, or is it something that is purely based on gear and needs to be hard simmed?Dreagan2 Mar 20, 2013
Mar 20, 2013 Unholy Macro/Rotation looking for a rotation or macro for unholy dk for arenasAlthiar7 Mar 20, 2013
Mar 20, 2013 frost 2h trinket question spark of zandalari relic of xuen lei shens which combo of the two? all 3 are non upgraded LFR ilvlGammagulp1 Mar 20, 2013