Mage

Jan 18, 2017 PvP Mage Macros- Suggestions add your own. I'm interested in sharing what I've got so far, and what else is out there. Not everything I have is originally mine, but most of it I've created myself. Keep in mind I made my mage a few months ago and haven't played much arcane. Original macros have been edited, mostly my own where I've seen the error of my ways, and some have been combined with ideas posted by other players. All credits will be listed. Since this is a thread I created please don't be upset if you post a macro and it is not reflected in the list. Chances are I either somehow missed it or I just don't believe its beneficial, or carries too much risk. Enjoy Pet Macros - Player attacks, Pet attacks player's target,pet defensive ... - Cast Frost bolt, Pet attack player target (on harm), No harm cast Arcane Brilliance ... - Super Polymorph Macro -Lanceløt contribution ... - Pet Freeze, just adds ! to any target area ability ... Miscellaneous Macros! - Makes food while holding shift, consumes food if not ... - Uses Flying Mount if possible, if not uses ground mount. Holding shift uses slowfall ... - Target any of a list of players macro, was useful for tol barad dailies(lower down gives priority) ... - Flame Orb (using cool orb icon, since normal looks like garbage) ... - Rocket Belt (using rocket boot icon from drop-down choice) ... Trinket, Damage, And Utility Macros - Deep Freeze Focus ... - Deep Freeze harm, Arcane explosion vs no harm(stealth) ...- Fire Blast vs harm, molten armor if not(fire spec) ... - Fireblast vs harm, Mage armor if not(other spec) ... - Fire blast Focus (impact) ... - Scorch vs harm, Arcane brilliance if no harm, cancel iceblock ... - Ice barrier has priority over mana shield (will force second mana shield at times) ... - Ring of frost ! ... - Stopcasting->iceblock ... - Cancel iceblock, ice lance ... - Spell steal, cancel aura ... - Damage Cooldowns (no time warp) ... - Damage Cooldowns (time warp) ... - Damage Cooldowns, (Combustion) ... Other User Submitted macros - Counterspell Focus (can't believe I forgot to add this) -Lanceløt ... - Spellsteal focus -Lanceløt ...Mosez188 Jan 18, 2017
Oct 13 [BFA] Mage Resources Starting this now with what I have, will edit and adjust as the expansion goes on. Please try to keep this thread mostly limited to posting sources, threads, streams, etc. that you think are relevant and I will try to curate them as best as I can. So far, not much to go with, but I will do my best to keep on top of this as things develop. If you have specific questions, please continue to use this forum as it is otherwise intended, making threads, posting in discussions, etc. General Mage Info: Hall of the Guardians, the official Mage Discord: https://discord.me/alteredtime Altered Time: http://www.altered-time.com/ Guides: Arcane: Icy Veins: https://www.icy-veins.com/wow/arcane-mage-pve-dps-guide AT (Quick and dirty pre-patch guide): https://www.altered-time.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6916 Fire: https://www.altered-time.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6917 https://www.icy-veins.com/wow/fire-mage-pve-dps-guide Frost: https://www.icy-veins.com/wow/frost-mage-pve-dps-guide Useful Links: https://www.herodamage.com/mage/ -- Extremely useful website for comparing trinkets, traits, talents, you name it. <To Follow> More stuffMageski19 Oct 13
Oct 26, 2010 Welcome Mages: Please Read! Welcome to the Mage forum! This forum is here to provide you with a friendly environment where you can discuss the mage class with your fellow World of Warcraft players. Community forums work best when participants treat their fellow posters with respect and courtesy, so we ask that you take the time to read through the forum Code of Conduct (http://us.battle.net/en/community/conduct) and guidelines (http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/15252595157) before posting. Important Reminders: Search The search function at the top of the World of Warcraft community site is extremely effective and robust. Before you create a new forum topic, please be use it to search for similar topics, blog posts, or web pages that may contain the answer for which you are looking. Making a new thread on an existing subject can result in your thread being deleted or, if you continue to re-post the same content, the loss of your forum privileges for spamming. Rating The forum rating system can be used to promote positive discussion, demote unhelpful comments, and even report posts that violate the forum Code of Conduct. By hovering over a post you'll be presented with several options, including a "thumbs up" (Like) and a "thumbs down" (Dislike) icon. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon will rate the post up. If enough people like a post, it will gain a Highly Rated status and appear at the top of related search results. Highly Rated posts will also have a highlighted background. Clicking the "thumbs down" icon will expand a drop-down menu which will include "Dislike," "Trolling, "Spam" and "Report" options. "Dislike" will rate the post down. If enough people dislike a post, it will be darkened, and with a lot of dislikes it will be hidden completely. You can also quickly report a post as trolling or spam, or use the report function to fill out a more comprehensive description of a violation. Please note that you can only rate each post once. Use your power wisely to help foster a positive and helpful forum community. Have fun posting on these forums, and good luck with your adventures in Azeroth!Lylirra1 Oct 26, 2010
3m Ray of Frost As the title, just curious how far behind this talent is. Really not a fan of Glacial Spike, but I do rather enjoy Ray of Frost. Would love this talent to be competitive, and in my fantasy world, have it work with Splitting Ice.Majycal1 3m
2h Is fire *that* bad? I started leveling this guy a day or two ago after I shelved him during legion, and was perplexed at how they managed to make arcane even more boring and simple. I can’t play this spec one more second. I’ve been trying out fire and the gameplay is really enjoyable. Farming for crits and the mobility from scorch and fireblast, having a big cooldown like combustion off the GCD feels great. But I’ve heard fire really suffers at endgame content. Am I better off going frost or will I still be able to group for stuff as fire without getting dirty looks Sidenote: is fire fine for casual BGs and arena?Kimjongboom24 2h
2h Began leveling, serious question... I began leveling and I used my boost (only class I didn't have at 110). Are the action bars supposed to be so bare? Frost has decent spells, but Fire seems entirely proc-based with 4 buttons and a CD for single target. Anything else is talented. Arcane feels like the key is Mana management between two skills and a third you use on a proc. More CDs for upping DPS tho. Frost feels like other classes in terms of having a full kit. I haven't gotten to deep, but is there meat here? Layers? I'm almost willing to run War Mode for access to the pvp skills.Jeklith1 2h
2h Arcane Rotation and Presence of Mind Use I had a quick question about using Presence of Mind for Arcane. Reading rotations on other sites most mentioned to pop it before Arcane Power falls off at like ~3 seconds. is there any particular reason you can't use both right off the bat and use the instant casts first? Wouldn't that give you the same amount of Arcane Blast use or am I thinking about it the wrong way?Mafcane9 2h
2h Have you switched to Arcane yet? Well?Bertzy17 2h
2h Tabard mogs need to be account wide It’s ridiculous that after buying a tabard one one of my toons that the other toons I want to mog it need to be ALSO exalted with the tabards faction. Blizzard needs to fix this .Aten1 2h
3h Making Arcane Great Again...A Start... I'm just putting up a few quick ideas to help Arcane's interaction in all content - I'm not going to provide a wealth of reasoning... 1) Make Arcane Barrage consume only 1 Arcane Charge, increase single target damage by 25% and restore 10% of damage as mana (mana leech) 2) Boost our static mana regeneration by about 20% so that we can maintain mana more effectively between Evocation and our Burn Phase 3) Give us Static mana leech (maybe like 5% of damage converted to mana) 4) Increase Arcane Explosions damage by 30% but reduce explosive echo's damage again (Less reliant on a trait, but still making it useful) I think Mana leech fits well with lore for arcane, and would also provide a number of stats with additional benefits, making us able to stack for haste quite well e.t.c Just a few ideas without feeling like it would break us...Majestia6 3h
4h Rate That Mage Mog 3 Because 2 got so big we had to put it down.Koadic384 4h
6h Please help arena pvp Good lord. I’ve been trying, watches vids, streams and YouTube to get better grasp on how play Frost mages. I boosted this character via a token. So don’t flame me too hard. I admit I’m inexperienced but I’m not inept. I can learn just need some help. I cannot stay alive or feel like I have a significant impact while in teams. My damage is blah and I get trained so easily. Yes I blink. Yes I nova using all three abilities. But I just suck. It’s almost to the point of giving up completely on this class. What kind of mindset do I need in order play this class correctly. There has been many times I’ve been made a fool of against another frost mage as my Rogue. But tables turned as a mage I’m free food. So any help will be appreciated. As in spec I’m using. Stats weights. Etc. Thank you for your timeMudbut10 6h
7h I CAN NOT USE A DAGGER AND A WAND I am very upset, it seems very stupid not to be able to use a dagger with a wand, it is supposed that the wand is in the left hand,i change my specialization to fire thinking that only that could use it but I can not either, please blizzard we are in times where the errors they do not exist and you continue to worry about useless exploiters, focus on real problems and not that exploit crapWrathiøn23 7h
8h Frost Mage Build/Rotation Help I'm looking for feedback on my frost mage build/rotation/gear. I feel like I am fairly well geared and executing my spec's rotation correctly but I am consistently low on damage done charts. I'm wondering if something is off with my spec/rotation/gear. Any thoughts are appreciated Gear https://raider.io/characters/us/deathwing/Spellznstuff Stats Crit: 19% Haste: 10% Mastery: 16% Versatility: 7% Build Lonely Winter Shimmer Incanter's Flow Frozen Touch Ice Ward Comet Storm Glacial Spike Rotation Cast Frozen Orb off cooldown Cast Comet Storm off cooldown Fingers of Frost-->Ice Lance (unless Brain Freeze at same time) Brain Freeze (<3 icicles)-->Flurry-->Ice Lance Brain Freeze (>=3 icicles)-->Frost Bolt to 5 ice icicles-->Glacial Spike-->Flurry-->Ice Lance Brain Freeze (5 icicles)-->Glacial Spike-->Flurry-->Ice LanceSpellznstuff8 8h
12h I need help being more ugly as a mage Guys, I went too far. Look at me. Never has a mage existed in the history of wow that looked this good. But the problem is that my light is so bright and blinding, it makes everyone around me look like the predator. https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/winx-club-and-freinds-adventures/images/0/06/Predator_without_mask.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20131130014051 I have to find gear that can contain the overflowing curse of these good looks.Irenícus15 12h
19h Fire mage out of hand I mean really guys? Really blizz? Really?Loveliveslay25 19h
1d How do you stay alive as a mage? Sorry if this sounds daft, but I've never played a class without a self tank before (lock and hunter) How do you stay alive as a mage (frost in particular) when say a large pack of mobs gets pulled on you. With lock I just have voidwalker cheese the entire pack while I burn them and without the demon I'm super weak. I just wonder how non-tank cloth casters handle stuff like that. Or say a strong rare elite.Darkbeard20 1d
1d Mage Tower 7: Buff Mages edition last thread mysteriously disappearedLaenia372 1d
1d Leveling as Frost: am I doing it wrong? This is my first mage, and while I’ve been having a decent time as Frost, I’m kind of getting tired of hoping for a Brain feeze proc while I chip through one mob at a time with these long cast times and was curious if either Arcane or Fire would have more oomph for questing. I quite clearly remember steamrolling through quests as an Enhancement shaman, and was hoping for faster killing speed out of my mage. Suggestions for a newbie?Rannoch9 1d
1d We need a nerf to fire Before you start bashing me - hear me out. For the purpose of PVP we all acknowledge fire is slightly over tuned. To prevent the spec from being guttee to the ground like arcane was - what is the best fix? Is it simply nerfing blaster master or something a simple as moving RoF out of the fire talent tree? The last thing we need is more pruned specs. But eventually fire is going to eat a nerf and I'd rather not see it completely destroy the spec.Poogamage28 1d
1d Fire for 2s So I have 2 mages of similar gear , one is fire (thi one ) and one is frost and horde. In 2s I find I have much more success with fire , and frost is kinda better for 3s. At first I was running arcane but it has been nerfed to oblivion in pvp. Now fire is semi viable in certain pvp situations after being bad for basically years im only wondering when the nerf is coming ...because let’s face it mages need to be unplayable in pvp by blizzard standards.Archimède4 1d
1d Arcane requires a Nerf Arcane has sat atop the totem pole, specifically among the mage specs, for far too long this expansion. As a result, frost and fire have been pushed aside in PvE content and in PvP to a lesser extent. I don't enjoy being forced into playing a single spec in both raids and M+ content; I have lost track of the amount of times I've been declined after a group leader asks me for my spec, and I reply "frost," or occasionally "fire". In PvP, frost has quickly been replaced by arcane in RMP and many frost players have been caught with their pants down as arcane players skyrocket in the 3's and 2's ratings. People might call me bitter, or tell me that "Arcane has been the underdog for a long time, it's their turn now." But I don't find that acceptable. Will anyone else unite with me to vocalize our concerns over Arcane taking the mage class hostage with its insane damage and utility? It's bad enough they get the most interesting spec playstyle-wise, they don't need the numbers too.Bertzy13 1d
1d Giving this another try. After a few weeks of taking a break from this mage while trying other classes, I feel kind of drawn back to it. Last time I was here I made a post complaining about how even warriors were killing me in 1v1. But, I do want to try to make this work. I'm having a hard time getting into other classes, lol. So just a simple question for now; if my goal is to do 1v1 PvP, random BGs and WPvP, should I be focusing on learning Frost or Arcane right now?Kreivos4 1d
2d Fire, Frost, or Arcane for pvp? In arenas right now I’m doing pretty well with frost. But I hear fire is better? How much better is it? Just seems like frost has a much better utilityMithrandys7 2d
2d Enough already. Make Talent Row 90 pvp viable Title.Stephnrock0 2d
2d Light’s Judgement Scaling I recently experimented with the Lightforged Draenei racial (Light’s Judgement). I’m confused by its scaling. Outside cooldown windows, Light’s Judgement hits harder than a 4-stack Arcane Blast. This would make sense since WoW DB says the damage for Light’s Jugement is 300% of spell power, while the damage for a 4-stack Arcane Blast is 187% of spell power (55% base plus 33% for each charge). However once Rune of Power, Arcane Power, and Baelfire Branch (on-use trinket) are factored in, the 4-stack Arcane Blast outscales Light’s Judgement. Why is this happening? I know Mastery is a factor in the comparative strength of Arcane Blast, but this is applicable whether or not cooldowns are present. Theoretically, Rune of Power and Arcane Power should modify Light’s Judgement and Arcane Blast in a proportionate manner.Myhammy3 2d
2d MH+OH or STAFF or does it not matter?Flexeum13 2d
2d New Arcane Trait - Back to WoD New trait - https://imgur.com/a/T6aIAmf We've come full circle and we're neither better or worse off for it.Failedwizard5 2d
2d Which spec to choose So im stuck on which spec to play for end game. I love all 3 but when it comes to picking which one to play I have no idea. I'm currently defaulting to frost for the constant slows it brings since im not seeing any major dps differences for my gear right now. If anyone with more experience could chime in that would be great! I figure since I like all 3 specs I dont mind playing FOTM since I can switch to/gear any of the specs and not be frustrated.Arcanous2 2d
2d What are the most important spells? I am leveling as arcane an I have been trying lots both castsequence,double abilitys and switch constantly between 2 action bars. Even all of this I still strugle to fit all of the spells and I dont even have spell steal yet. So I was wondering, is there any spells that are useless or any ideas for macros that could help? I know to do macros myself so just a general idea would help me.Shaularia5 2d
3d Fire or Frost I'm going to level a mage and I can't decide what spec I wan't to play. Which has better burst? which is better for pvp? what do you like better?Istealthl7 3d
3d Arcane Stats Hello all, I am looking to try to figure out what the best stat % I should be sitting at for raiding. I am currently 371 with 18.88% (25.08% in Uldir) Crit, 8% Haste, 21.63% Mastery, and 7.15% Vers. Thank you.Demodulator8 3d
3d Fire Now Best Raid Spec And Above Average M+ In the past week, Fire has been the top performing spec in Uldir Heroic. They are also now above average in mythic +. I was very shocked when I pulled this up today. I’ll switch to fire for my heroic Uldir run tonight. https://www.warcraftlogs.com/zone/statistics/19#difficulty=4&sample=7 https://www.warcraftlogs.com/zone/statistics/20#sample=7Anacrussys45 3d
3d Need help with arena please Hey was wondering if anyone can share some tips for arena. I want to main arcane but wouldn't mind going frost. Confused a little about CC, should i go invis and start with ring of frost in hopes that they would trinket and start bursting with arcane power, 4 charges and presence of mind and then poly if healer or partner trinkets? or should i start with poly? plan on doing mostly 2s.Rekcobaine0 3d
3d "Victory Rush" for mages? I've been doing the Battle for Stromgarde with various classes (most of them melee) and that's when it hit me as to why my mage feels so frail and weak... not only can he not heal and pretty much has to run and kite, but he doesn't get any health back for defeating a worthy foe the way warriors (and most melee in general) do. Why is this? I'm not saying the mage should get as much... they're ranged and they don't necessarily have to lose as much HP as a warrior does when in combat. But 0%?! That strikes me as a bit too low - especially now that Cauterizing Blink is a thing of the past. I'd say start it at 10% over 4 seconds and go from there...Beauvaliant8 3d
3d Frost Mage PvP Traits Now that stacking Frigid Grasp is doo doo, what has everyone else been stacking for PvP?Namjoo6 3d
3d Fire stat priority Hey guys, So for Fire, it says to go mastery. Now, im ignorant to this since i just hit 120 yesterday, but does the extra burn damage from mastery really beat being able to cast faster by stacking haste? Is it the same for pvp as well?Vicvinegar17 3d
4d Enough with this GODLIKENESS its got to stop! Mages are OP again this expac.. and have been since Vanilla every expac. every arena season mages are S-Tier. enough is enough!! Never have they been benched.. like every class has had to suffer Blizz, stop wondering why your subscription base is shrinking.. its because everyone is sick of being face-rolled by mages that can kite you and kill you without being hit a single time. every expac every season.. customers are sick of it.. they have been every exapc. people complain rogues are good ..look at them without a mage . merely average every expac. RMP is S-tier when rogues are nerfed they Simpy replace them with a shammy.. when priests are nerfed he is replaced with a druid because its the OP Mage that makes the team .... they can kite anyone into death even 10 levels above them ..videos on youtube proving it !! lvl 110's killing 120's ... this has to be stopped.. the #! reason people unsub is because of mages... they are sick of the favoritism and godlike ability's of mages get ....WAKE UP BLIZZARD Blizzard this GODLIKENESS has got to stop, enough is enough... Its mages turn for once in the 14 year history of WOW to sit on the bench.. There is even a Mage in the Druid forums right now complaining that a Feral druid is the ONLY class he has to struggle with..and he is complaining about it... that's called a "God Complex" in the real world.. His character so overpowered for so long that this person is experiencing a god complex in real life .... if that's not a wake up call all into its self nothing is...Myles29 4d
4d Current State Hello all, I mainly pvp, and re-subscribed in the last pvp season of legion before BFA launched, and I have some input. When I 1st left the game I remember I was a frost mage who could kill any class except rsham/rdruid/and priest and that goes without saying I use to do a ton of dmg.... When I came back to the game in legion, Arcane mages were the new pvp spec and frost was forgotten, so I had to adapt to a new playstyle so I that could get the Demonic elite achievement. Frost mages in legion were a disgrace to what I remember. Now In BFA, Mages started out OP in the beta, I admit that, but arcane is no longer the same as it was in legion(honestly much more enjoyable imo compared to arcane now), and frost is dog !@#$. Fire mages are the FOTM literally because Frost mage's hit with wet noodles and only do dmg in Orb and Comet storm. Like wtf.... In arenas all I do is land perfect sheeps and slow the %^-* out of people but have no dmg for kills anymore. Fire mages can global a toon without even casting atm, and play the same role as frost except they don't have a slow and 1 block. Mage in general is dumb to play and Blizz needs a huge class design overhaul! Perhaps talent trees like in Vanilla would be a step towards balancing class's again.Floridax0 4d
4d Gift of G'huun and Spellsteal I have searched high and low for an answer to this and have come up with nothing. Can a mage spellsteal gift of g'huun (ability cast by the priest in the first few packs) in the underrot dungeon? I have a weak aura and use mage nuggets specifically for spell steal. Gift of g'huun NEVER shows up to be stolen while every other spell does. I am consistently told to spell steal this ability by my party in low keys and even high keys (10+), to which i always respond and say I can't and then get told to learn my class or l2play etc. To my knowledge this ability can only be kicked or dispelled NOT stolen. Am I terrible? are these people just idiots? what is going on?Lilmilk8 4d
4d What is this...? Brain Storm: Evocation grants 2 Arcane Charge, and while channeling Evocation, your Intellect is increased by 37 every 1 sec. Lasts 30 sec .... is .... is this supposed to do anything?Mythlor5 4d
4d Arcane for survival when solo questing? I'm new to the arcane spec. Is arcane considered the best mage spec for survival while solo questing in BfA? After leveling two other classes, I've decided to level my mage. I'm at 113 at the moment. To level, I will be pve solo questing. I'm not concerned about raids, dungeons, and pvp. Frost got me up to and through Draenor. Fire got me through Legion with no problem (and is a fun spec). In BfA, I'm dying way too much as fire and frost, so I'm giving arcane a try. I just tried it and it seems to be best for survival. Is it?Mythera4 4d
4d MIRROR IMAGE IS WORTHLESS I am beyond livid. Mirror Image has become worthless. I was doing the quest for Greystone Keep. I popped it and 3 seconds later they were gone.Spanky16 4d
4d Arcane 2v2 areana talents Just start doing twos with another mage and I'm arcane. I'm taking Mana Shield which was nice for survivability but drains Mana pretty fast. I lost a few games last night just because I was out of Mana couldn't find any place to evocate. I was also running overpowered, which was wasted on about 70% of my matches as they would Los or something would happen and I couldn't get off my opening burst. I was thinking about switching to Orb instead. I was curious what is a good talent mix for 2v2. ThanksKembolt1 4d
4d Fire Mage M+: share ideas/tactics Hey all! I just wanted a thread for mages to discuss high key fire M+, and have people share tips and tricks and theories. Im doing 7-10s, and my damage is typically hit-or-miss, depending on keys/encounters. Im lovin fire and sticking to it for M+ keys. You can only get so much info from online guides, id prefer to talk. After researchin on warcraft logs, it seems a lot of high key fire mages use pheonix flames. I haven't personally used it, but I imagine its better combustion and cleave. I also just started using RoP over IF, and i think i might just be new to it, its a little clunky for me. I focused on RoP every meteor. And i save the 2nd meteor/rop for combustion, and i cast as follows: Meteor -> Rop -> combust. By the time meteor actually hits (3 sec delay) it gets all those new buffs, i think atleast. I also really prefer flamepatch to LB and will cast FS over PB at 3 targets. What does everyone else do? Id love to share ideas.Dwarfmage15 4d
4d What Mages Use To Be An amazingly fun class.....back when every class didn't have 4 gap closers and self heals but NO not mages... 1: Deep Freeze 2: Mirror Image baseline skill for all specs 3: Alter Time 4: when ice barrier didn't break with 1 auto attack 5: Temporal Shield cast-able while stunned 6: Spell Steal not OOMing you in 3 cast 7: Shatter Combo that actually deals dmg I'm sure I'm forgetting some other things tooBeond12 4d
4d Quality of Life: Time Anomoly (Arcane) When you pick Time Anomaly and you're sitting on 4 charges before a raid boss fight as soon as the pull occurs you are dropped down to 1 charge. Even if you got those charges from Charge Up. It means you have to waste a global on Charge Up after the pull... and it just feels bad, like Time Anomaly is being punished for a lucky 4 charge proc (the weakest of the three procs, imo). So yeah, it would be nice if it could be fixed up. It is especially punishing on Zul where you might want to open with a flurry of Arcane Barrages but you're having to use Charge Up after the pull rather than 10+seconds before. Small thing but I like my Time Anomaly.Belobog9 4d
4d Alliance Race for Mage Thinking about switching to mage for BFA. What race should I pick for Alliance? Is it Void Elf?Tearshed11 4d
4d Meteor ground display not showing up I noticed that when I use meteor on my fire mage, there is supposed to be a glowing area on the ground where the meteor is supposed to land. However, the fire on the ground after the meteor has landed still shows up for me. Does anyone know what would be causing this issue?Zeiria12 4d
5d First Video in 7 years I have decided to share some of the clips that i captured during Legion PVP season. This video is just for fun no demonstration of skills nor anything just some music and Fast phase games and clips ... Had 18 alts in legion 15 of which were between 1.9 to 2.3cr as for mages one 2.4 the other 2.5 Please do enjoy .. it is not the best but bare in my mind my first video in 7 years https://www.warcraftmovies.com/movieview.php?id=251693 Wishing you a a good day HamoudyHamoudy4 5d