Mage

Jan 18, 2017 PvP Mage Macros- Suggestions add your own. I'm interested in sharing what I've got so far, and what else is out there. Not everything I have is originally mine, but most of it I've created myself. Keep in mind I made my mage a few months ago and haven't played much arcane. Original macros have been edited, mostly my own where I've seen the error of my ways, and some have been combined with ideas posted by other players. All credits will be listed. Since this is a thread I created please don't be upset if you post a macro and it is not reflected in the list. Chances are I either somehow missed it or I just don't believe its beneficial, or carries too much risk. Enjoy Pet Macros - Player attacks, Pet attacks player's target,pet defensive ... - Cast Frost bolt, Pet attack player target (on harm), No harm cast Arcane Brilliance ... - Super Polymorph Macro -Lanceløt contribution ... - Pet Freeze, just adds ! to any target area ability ... Miscellaneous Macros! - Makes food while holding shift, consumes food if not ... - Uses Flying Mount if possible, if not uses ground mount. Holding shift uses slowfall ... - Target any of a list of players macro, was useful for tol barad dailies(lower down gives priority) ... - Flame Orb (using cool orb icon, since normal looks like garbage) ... - Rocket Belt (using rocket boot icon from drop-down choice) ... Trinket, Damage, And Utility Macros - Deep Freeze Focus ... - Deep Freeze harm, Arcane explosion vs no harm(stealth) ...- Fire Blast vs harm, molten armor if not(fire spec) ... - Fireblast vs harm, Mage armor if not(other spec) ... - Fire blast Focus (impact) ... - Scorch vs harm, Arcane brilliance if no harm, cancel iceblock ... - Ice barrier has priority over mana shield (will force second mana shield at times) ... - Ring of frost ! ... - Stopcasting->iceblock ... - Cancel iceblock, ice lance ... - Spell steal, cancel aura ... - Damage Cooldowns (no time warp) ... - Damage Cooldowns (time warp) ... - Damage Cooldowns, (Combustion) ... Other User Submitted macros - Counterspell Focus (can't believe I forgot to add this) -Lanceløt ... - Spellsteal focus -Lanceløt ...Mosez188 Jan 18, 2017
Jul 30 [BFA] Mage Resources Starting this now with what I have, will edit and adjust as the expansion goes on. Please try to keep this thread mostly limited to posting sources, threads, streams, etc. that you think are relevant and I will try to curate them as best as I can. So far, not much to go with, but I will do my best to keep on top of this as things develop. If you have specific questions, please continue to use this forum as it is otherwise intended, making threads, posting in discussions, etc. General Mage Info: Hall of the Guardians, the official Mage Discord: https://discord.me/alteredtime Altered Time: http://www.altered-time.com/ Guides: Arcane: Icy Veins: https://www.icy-veins.com/wow/arcane-mage-pve-dps-guide AT (Quick and dirty pre-patch guide): https://www.altered-time.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6916 Fire: https://www.altered-time.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6917 https://www.icy-veins.com/wow/fire-mage-pve-dps-guide Frost: https://www.icy-veins.com/wow/frost-mage-pve-dps-guide Useful Links: https://www.herodamage.com/mage/ -- Extremely useful website for comparing trinkets, traits, talents, you name it. <To Follow> More stuffMageski17 Jul 30
Oct 26, 2010 Welcome Mages: Please Read! Welcome to the Mage forum! This forum is here to provide you with a friendly environment where you can discuss the mage class with your fellow World of Warcraft players. Community forums work best when participants treat their fellow posters with respect and courtesy, so we ask that you take the time to read through the forum Code of Conduct (http://us.battle.net/en/community/conduct) and guidelines (http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/15252595157) before posting. Important Reminders: Search The search function at the top of the World of Warcraft community site is extremely effective and robust. Before you create a new forum topic, please be use it to search for similar topics, blog posts, or web pages that may contain the answer for which you are looking. Making a new thread on an existing subject can result in your thread being deleted or, if you continue to re-post the same content, the loss of your forum privileges for spamming. Rating The forum rating system can be used to promote positive discussion, demote unhelpful comments, and even report posts that violate the forum Code of Conduct. By hovering over a post you'll be presented with several options, including a "thumbs up" (Like) and a "thumbs down" (Dislike) icon. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon will rate the post up. If enough people like a post, it will gain a Highly Rated status and appear at the top of related search results. Highly Rated posts will also have a highlighted background. Clicking the "thumbs down" icon will expand a drop-down menu which will include "Dislike," "Trolling, "Spam" and "Report" options. "Dislike" will rate the post down. If enough people dislike a post, it will be darkened, and with a lot of dislikes it will be hidden completely. You can also quickly report a post as trolling or spam, or use the report function to fill out a more comprehensive description of a violation. Please note that you can only rate each post once. Use your power wisely to help foster a positive and helpful forum community. Have fun posting on these forums, and good luck with your adventures in Azeroth!Lylirra1 Oct 26, 2010
32m Warlock or Mage? Hey guys I just came back to the game and am looking to play one of these classes. I don't know how either are doing in bfa so I'm curious, which class is doing well atm?Plumpdump9 32m
1h Noob fire mage question Hello Im pretty new to fire mage. I keep getting into situations where i get a hot streak proc off my fireball and end up casting fireball again then stop to cast to fire blast to get hot streak and throw my pyro. The other situation is i cast fireball and cast fireblast and my hot streak goes away by the time my fireball lands. Is there any way to not waste my hot streak procs to smoothen out my gameplay?Ihero3 1h
1h Fire Mage AOE Fire mage is fun, mobile and I believe will scale better from gear from now on. One adpect of the spec is very frustrating. While Frost does extremely well in large aoe with Frozen Orb and Blizzard, Fire Aoes are weak in every measure and with any talents. Flamestrike is now buffed and remain underwhelming to the point that is worth using a single pyro to a group os mobs than applying this boring dot. Frost has strong aoe, single and double target damage, cast speed n more resources than any other spec thx to cold snap. The other specs should hit harder at last single, double, tripple target in return...Desth1 1h
1h Want Glacial Spike to be more satisfying? I made a a fun little solution using Weak Auras, and I thought I would share it. It essentially plays a very satisfying and fitting sound when Glacial Spike crits. Here's a demo. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVXEV2Rz978 Here's the Weak Aura. https://wago.io/rkQDN0GKm Remember to follow the instructions in the description if interested.Airst0 1h
4h Frost pvp opener LF any tips with frost opener in pvp for bursting.. lvling my mage currently 114 and I seem to kite and deal a big chunk of dmg to enemies. Honestly just curious if you guys thoughts . Talents are ice nova, shimmer, IF, comet storm, RoFBreadkrumbs2 4h
4h Having trouble with mage pvp I'm simply unable to even deal damage versus any melee player. I can juke fairly well, but it seems that kicks mean little as most melee classes have several ways to interrupt casts and lock me down. What are some tips for mage pvp? I've been practicing for a few hours now and I do very well if left to freecast. Cheers for the help fellas.Battlemaiden3 4h
4h Doing less dmg at 367 than at 350ish Anyone else doing significantly less DPS with a significantly higher ilvl? At 350 or so I had about 30 percent crit and 9 percent vers Now I am at 20 percent crit, 30 percent mastery, and 2 vers, and I feel I am vastly underperforming for my ilvlMoredpspls12 4h
6h correctly shattering my Ice lance? I recently started doing mythic +, and my dps has been lacking a little bit as a mage. My friend was kind enough to run a WoW log for me, to see what the issues were. Thankfully I am doing my rotation and talents right, but my execution on my rotation could be a bit better. This whole time, I thought I was correctly shattering my ice lance after my brainfreeze. Frostbolt > Gain Brainfreeze > Frostbolt/GS/Ebonbolt > Flurry > Ice lance However after analyzing my WoWlog, I noticed that I am missing my Ice lance shatter benefit 20% of the time. Link https://www.wowanalyzer.com/report/Aq91 ... Magucation I have already taken care of the other items, but is there a weak aura or something to help me know that my ice lance is hitting the shatter? It's kind of hard to keep track of the big crit numbers when flurry and frostbolt are critting to see if my ice lance is benefiting from the shatter effect?Magucation3 6h
6h Fire needs a buff Fire please be viable make fire better bliz I like playing fire.....Bloodvice7 6h
8h Question about ... Azerite fortification. I was not able to find anything on the trait other than the obvious. How does it behave when you stack it? I have a set for Pvp with double traits of A.F. but I could not tell if it was doing anything different because stuns only gave the regular 10kish heal. Is this one of those traits I should take one of and double stack something like the blink heal or the shield?Siennagosa0 8h
8h So, we ranged get screwed over again. At least in my guild. Always stuck doing mechanics while the melee mongoloid as usual. Sad face.Chaosnachos9 8h
9h Blinking Backwards on Taloc So in more than once instance on Taloc, I've found that if I blink before the elevator hits the floor, I blink in the opposite direction than intended. Wondering if anyone else has experienced this annoyance.Malorog2 9h
10h Fire's Problems & How To Fix Them The largest issue with our spec at the moment is that critical strike is our worst stat, for two reasons. Fire has always been gear dependent, that's no secret, so in the early days of an expansion our life is going to kinda suck until we're able to reliably get above ~45% ish crit and have our other secondaries around a reasonable level. Our other problem is that despite Fire being designed to play around crit, it's actually our worse stat. It adds no additional flat damage increases vs haste and mastery which allow us to get our damage out faster, and with enough mastery end up basically giving us free casts of spells since it's % based damage. On top of that, with high mastery and a combustion phase you can pull some really fantastic DPS since Hot Streak proc's always do double the ignite damage. ---------------------------------------- While I don't personally see very massive reworks of Fire coming in the future, although some changes are inevitable because outside of our stat issues, the game-play was fairly damaged from Legion to now, since there was so much more to give us an edge and it was replaced with nothing. On that note, here is my garbage opinion on how a talent overhaul could really help Fire alleviate it's gear dependency and address multiple play styles that players might prefer over solely building crit and haste. Base Changes for context: Conflagration from 90 tier has been made baseline and lasts 12 seconds, flare up aspect removed. Read below. Always thought it was dumb you had to talent FIREball to have a damage over time anyway. Blazing Barrier ALL attacks cause the attacker to take fire damage. Having the shield thorns effect apply only to melee is so awful and beyond annoying, Fire already has so many downsides. Just let other casters and hunters take damage from it already. Ignite has been changed some. If four or more targets are effected with Ignite, they will rapidly flare up every 2.5 seconds dealing 400 damage to the target and nearby enemies within 5 yards. The flare up damage bonus scales with Mastery too of course, but nowhere at the same rate as the base Ignite burn. Flame On is now baseline. Removed from 60 tier. Living Bomb added baseline. No changes made, removed from 90 tier. Fire is supposed to be the king of AoE and having such a situational almost entirely AoE oriented spell be a talent is silly and lazy. Hot Streak and Enhanced Pyrotechnics purge protection added. While having Combustion, Ignite, and other aspects of the spec being dispellable is somewhat reasonable, it feels beyond abysmal when you get gas-pedal purged by a priest or shaman in PvP and in some cases can almost entirely shut you down with very little effort at all. Not fun or game play with counter play. 15 Talents Firestarter while strong falls off very fast when you're doing any kind of content with a group that has really high output, devaluing it a lot because you won't be getting to use it for maybe more than half a minute at most. Majority of other classes don't have to worry about an important damage tier becoming null based on how well others are doing, and I understand it's supposed to be a mini-Combust opening phase, but it's value could be fixed with a small buff and not feel so bad to pick. Fireball and Pyroblast always deal a critical strike when the target is above 85% health. Small buff, fixes a lot. (5% buff) Pyromaniac is a favorite of mine because it's add more frenetic energy to the playstyle of Fire at the cost of reliable damage at various sources, but the issue is that since it's on the same tier as Searing Touch makes it questionable on whether it's that great to pick or not. The talent is supposed to fill the slot of "well this fight could go anywhere" out of the reliable opening / finishing versions it, but if you're doing content with proper groups it makes the talent so much less valuable. To compensate for the Firestarter buff risking making this moot as well, Casting Pyroblast or Flamestrike while Hot Streak is active has a 10% chance to instantly reactivate Hot Streak. (2% buff) Searing Touch is honestly fine at the moment, and buffing or nerfing it would cause trouble when taken in mind with my next few talent ideas / gearing up normally would make it too strong. ---------------------------------------- 30 Talents Blazing Soul honestly is one of my favorites. It works, makes sense, and allows you to choose between having more mobility at the cost of durability, or vice versa. Good talent that effects how you play. Shimmer Still great even after the CD nerfs, don't think it needs changed much either. Same sentiment as Blazing Soul for me. Blast Wave A trouble spell that has gone through many variations only to return to it's former glory.. kind of. The problem with it right now is while it has some uses, any effect you get out of it outside of very specific high tier PvP play is pretty much moot since not getting killed with the other two is a better option. Two options here, you could buff the damage numbers on it from 2.5k (362 ilevel) to around 5.7k, or double the effect of it's knockback. It's really slow and almost doesn't feel worth casting unless you're on anything but a 90 degree cliff. Honestly probably could get away with both and still have other talents compete. OR make the current weak version of Blast Wave baseline and replace it with Fire Wall Raise a circular wall of flame around you, pushing enemies inside of it out and preventing anyone from entering for 3.5 seconds. Enemies caught inside are ejected 5 yards from the edge of the wall and take 3-4k damage and have Ignite applied, those who try to enter have the same effect. 15-20 second cooldown. Lasts 3.5 seconds. ---------------------------------------- 45 Talents Moved to 90 tier, replaced with a whole new row of talents. This is where some of my ideas actually come out. Burnout All critical strike effects deal 50% additional damage, at the cost of your abilities requiring 5-6 times (unsure yet) the normal mana cost. Now I know not many would be fans of this, since it dips into Arcane's style of mana play, but dismissing it because solely for that isn't wise since it allows for more specific tuning of the crit-oriented play of the spec. Burst phases would mean not being too greedy with abilities, and it would definitely solve some of the gear dependency issues of early expansion play, and the talent can be adjusted accordingly throughout the expansion(s). Intensity For every 2.5 seconds your Ignite is active on a target, increase your mastery's damage by 3% up to a maximum of 30%. Should your flame burn out, the damage effect is reset. The idea here is to improve how poorly Fire does on any kind of long fight, allowing to choose for a well-managed burn spec that some people might prefer over blowing somebody up. Good value in long fights, and in multi-target cleave where a Mage can manage his ignites. Wildfire Conflagration now automatically spreads to nearby targets every 2 seconds. Each enemy with Conflagration grants an additional 5% haste, to a maximum of 30%. The idea here is that Fire is strong in AoE situations with multiple targets, and this talent doubles up on that with large numbers of enemies giving you lots of haste. Additionally, the play style here reinforces itself the better you get with it, and the more haste. In the right hands it could be strong even outside of large AoE pulls, but most of the time wont be. The whole point of the new 45 talent tier is to give players the ability to really choose how they want to play Fire, since it can be so many different things and has the potential to play very differently while still retaining the core idea of the spec, with player choice in mind. Please keep in mind as well, that the numbers for this new tier are not final, and are a rough idea on showcasing how they could be rewarding and fun. ---------------------------------------- PART 2 BELOW. NEXT POST COMINGTaromithris15 10h
10h High Glacial spike crit https://imgur.com/a/WcuO9lc Anyone else ever seen their Glacial Spike crit for anything higher than 124k?Demstarburst13 10h
10h Icy Veins Cooldown Length I think this should be 2 mins, similarly to Avenging Wrath. Discuss.Oiweezy5 10h
10h Which spec to level as? I just boosted a mage and I plan on playing fire at 120 but which spec should I level as?Tsumi3 10h
11h I wish fire still had a chance to stun Anyone remember when all fire spells had a chance to stun the target? Even molten armor fire damage when melee attacked you had a chance to stun much like frostbite that was brought back had a chance to root. That needs to return. It will increase the danger of wailing on fire mages for meleeIrenícus10 11h
12h Nightborne mages Are still surprisingly rare, show off your nightborne mage in this thread.Seti17 12h
14h Arcane Question Do I really need different gear? I am not a min/max guy, so would I need 2 different sets?Whimsi2 14h
15h Splitting Ice or Comet Storm? I've been jugging between the two talents for keys, and can't quite decide which would be better to use. I really like splitting ice for keys, but I feel like comet storm does better for single target on bosses. What do you guys recommend?Arcaneerica12 15h
16h Take IV & IB off the GCD Please, for the love of all that is holy...and frosty. :(Niraya2 16h
16h Does the sheep staff not proc in bfa? I've been using the woolomancer appearance for a while because I like that unusual proc, but I've never managed to make it proc the yelling sheep head in bfa. It works perfectly fine if I actually equip my artifact, but not any other weapon using the appearance. Is anyone else having this issue? For those unaware of what it's supposed to do: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqXfAAZqVwwFatcow2 16h
17h So Tired Of The Way Mage Feels I don't know what I'm expecting out of posting this. However, the more I play my Mage, the more boring it gets. We have zero self heals. We are EXTREEMLY squishy. Mobility is ok, but not near what it should be. Mage is supposed to be the "glass cannon" class. Mages should, by virtue of the class itself, be AT THE TOP of the DPS charts, by a SIGNIFICANT margin. Not just 1 class either. Fire, Frost, and Arcane should be literally the best DPS class. But we are not. We cant survive in 1v1's, Soloing anything is a challenge, our DPS is okay. Yes, we have frost slows. Yes we have Ice block (x2 if frost). Does that really make up for all the things wrong with mage? Plus, class fantasy is almost thrown out the window. Why cant a frost mage freeze water he/she is about to walk over? A lock can walk on water. I mean its simple things like that. I don't know. Guess this class isn't for me anymore. Which sucks !@#.Denail24 17h
17h Meteor ground display not showing up I noticed that when I use meteor on my fire mage, there is supposed to be a glowing area on the ground where the meteor is supposed to land. However, the fire on the ground after the meteor has landed still shows up for me. Does anyone know what would be causing this issue?Zeiria11 17h
18h Fire loyalists, let me hear what you think. I want to know from you guys what you think about fire. Are you okay in raid? Obviously not top DPS but thats OKAY as long as you are having a good time, doing decent enough damage and not hindering the raid. I just want to play fire so bad but dont want to be kicked from the raid for low dps, or be turned down from M+ Let me hear what you think.Rupmahl34 18h
19h mages feel terrible in pvp Mages feel terrible in pvp I work twice as hard as other classes to get like 75% of their damage output. and my survivability sucks. I see everyone trying half as hard doing more damage. its not fairMondose23 19h
21h Rate That Mage Mog 3 Because 2 got so big we had to put it down.Koadic298 21h
1d Brain Freeze & Glacial Spike The glacial spike build for frost mages seems awfully clunky. Especially when you can go 10 frostbolts without a brain freeze proc to shatter glacial spike. Is there any chance we could get a guaranteed brain freeze proc on the 5th icicle after casting frostbolt? This would make the rotation feel much more fluid and less vulnerable to bad RNG. It would also remove the need to hold brain freeze procs while building up icicles and avoid potentially munching BF procs if we know we'll get one on the 5th icicle from frostbolt. It would be a good change for the flow of the rotation overall without increasing damage output significantly.. it would just protect us from the worst case scenarios where we we don't get BF procs for 10 frostbolts in a row. If not baseline, perhaps we could get this as a class specific azerite trait? Seems more interesting and has an impact on play style. Unlike the current frost specific azerite traits we have. Increased frostbolt damage, hard casting flurry or increased ice lance damage just seems.. uninspired. Discuss!Chillmatic11 1d
1d Frost mage tips So I'm used to playing arcane, ilvl 361 I would like to play frost but I absolutely HATE managing glacial spike. Are frost mages using either ray of frost or thermal void almost as good as glacial spike? I've tested on a target dummy and I always pull the same-ish dps with or without glacial spike. Can someone enlighten me on the differences with or without glacial spike? Thanks!Pronyra0 1d
1d Do i just suck as Arcane? So I've been wanting to try arcane... been watching some of Rikhh and I'm not that bad Ilvl wise at 362. I'm flasked and potted and with arcane power and rune of power I'm still not coming anywhere near the kind of crits that Rikhh is doing. I'm lost... even when i pop Balefire Brance at the start with my buffs I still can't get up to that high crit damage. I can barely keep up with what my frost spec can do on ST bosses... and that shouldn't be true. Am I missing something or am I just garbage?Stårlord7 1d
1d Shimmer cancels Ray of Frost 80% of the time As the title states, this is extremely frustrating, especially in PVP. I have heard of the argument that when you blink, you must still be facing the target. I have nova'd the target and shimmered from side to side, through the target, farther away from the target, all the while attempting to face the target and swivel my camera. It almost ALWAYS cancels the channel on the target. Could this be due to latency? Anyone else have this problem? I have seen on a few Twitch streams that it does NOT cancel on shimmer cast for them...Velrok7 1d
1d Fire mage PSA Hey guys! I know we aren’t in the greatest spot right now but I have advice that can help I think. Props to Keestus for pointing out a few tips. This is a mix of what Keestus advised and my own personal gameplay. For mythic+ I always felt we were lacking. Just switched to Phoenix flames and man what a difference. Flame on sims higher but using Pf has made aoe pulls on trash so easy. Also overwhelming power on 3 items is great since the other nerfs. overwhelming proc + combus + RoP put me on top of aoe easily and kept me on top or competitive even on single target. Keestus pointed out knowing the fights. I have ran kings test a stupid amount of times so I knew when to use what. Was able to get 2 - 3 more combusts on adds. Good luck guys! Here’s to hoping we get PF baseline!Kimbustion5 1d
1d Fire Mage - Uldir experience? Hey all, curious to get some community feedback. Saw in the last day or 2 fire mages have shot up warcraftlogs rankings (now showing as top mage spec?). What are you seeing in your real experience, is it really performing better then arcane/frost? Most of forum posts in the past week+ have painted a bleak picture for fire in contrast to the new data.Senrik18 1d
1d Frost Mage PVP - I need to vent WTF! First off I love to PVP. Due to my schedule I mainly stick with random and don't go into rated BGs or arena much. I know there is a place for mages there but this venting isn't about that. That being said I find that it is nearly impossible to kill anyone 1v1 nowadays. World pvp is still fun to me in theory. The thought that at any time I could wander into Alliance and fight is a thrill. Reality though is I struggle again nearly all classes and am a free kill to some. The one major advantage for a mage is to kite but that is pretty much gone now. Nearly every class has the ability to negate that or close the gap putting huge pressure on me to get off casts. And when they do close the gap they put out so much damage that my health pool is really strained. The only absorb I have is frost shield and that is easily ripped away or burned through leaving me completely exposed. Temporal Shield is nice if timed well but on such a long cooldown I can only use it once. Mages have low health and no armor so once frost shield is gone I have no way to regain health or protect myself. Tanks should not be able to beat a dps. It should be some sort of draw where both sides get tired and move on. Healers should be the same way. I'm asking for survivability. So many classes have ways to regain health or they have large amounts of health/armor. Mages have none of that and to top it off we aren't far and away better dps than these classes. So on top of us having very little survivability we don't have the damage to compensate for it. Glass cannon? If I actually was a cannon I would be ok with it because I could feel like I could work my spots in to get that large chunk of damage out. Right now everything is getting interrupted or I am getting smashed so hard I have to use all my defensives to "try" to get away. I'm asking for some type of leech or heal over time. I know reducing our cast times would mess up damage charts so I doubt they would do anything like that. Giving us some healing or additional absorb on our shield would go a long way in helping us (me) stand a chance against the rest of the field. Maybe Ice Form could be reworked to give us additional armor and a nice heal over time during (or after) the effect wears off. (BTW yes I know we own warriors in WPVP right now. This is one class I rarely have problems with but I think it's also because I used to play one). I don't know. I don't really want to level one of my alts but right now it feels like it's all back to melee being the kings of PVP again. I'm sure some of you will tell me to "get gud" or whatever but I know I'm not that far off with this rant.Muffiintop5 1d
1d The State of Arcane in BFA Hello everyone. As many of you may have noted, Arcane is heading into Battle of Azeroth in what can be described as an incomplete state. It appears that they were heading somewhere with pretty good changes til they suddenly pulled at the brakes and crashed the Arcane shortbus. That being said, there's also a lot of misinformation going around despite a plethora of available mage resources, so the point of this thread is to quickly shed some light on the state of Arcane for those who may not have looked them up, and in their defense, "Many Talents and PvP Talents have been adjusted" doesn't say all that much. So what has got people so riled up? Well our single target rotation has been pretty much oversimplified. Your biggest DPS loss risk right now is falling asleep. They removed Arcane Missiles from the proc system precisely to allow us to cast it outside of a proc, but the tuning of Arcane Missiles damage/mana cost is really off right now so we have no incentive to do that. So not only do we not cast Arcane Missiles as much as we do on live, it also deals less damage and Clearcasting cannot even be stacked for burst phases either. It also lacks scaling potential so there's that issue as well. This leads to disappointing things like Arcane Blast, your filler, builder, and spender being 70%+ of your damage, with Arcane Missiles rarely being cast, going against their presumed intention of it being removed from the proc system. Might as well just bind Arcane Blast to all your buttons. While Arcane has always had a relatively smaller ability set, we were able to exploit them in multiple ways, but for now it genuinely appears that our rotation can be summed up by this priority rotation > Cast Arcane Missiles when Clearcasting procs > Cast Arcane Barrage if at low mana and Evocation still on cooldown > Cast Arcane Blast This is it. No matter what. No matter your burst, cooldowns, mechanics, rain or shine this is your single target rotation. Even the Azerite traits won't change this much, with the notable exception of stacking two or more Anomalous Impact traits making you switch to spamming Arcane Missiles, which while flashier is just as degenerate as the current rotation. Note that Arcane still does great damage on single target. The rotation is just too simple and mana management is trivialized. A quick decade old guide summing up Arcane right now https://youtu.be/ISsOjfHgtws?t=18s I'd like to think class design standards have progressed throughout the years... What are they thinking!!!? This does not appear to be intended based on their attempted selling point for Arcane Missiles being off the proc system. Arcane was not slated for a rework, and it's quite clear that they were going somewhere then stopped. They may have needed more time, and since raiding doesn't start til mid-September, they still have it. So what are the redeeming qualities of Arcane right now? There are actually quite a few. For one, Clearcasting was actually a good change for Arcane. As a reminder, Clearcasting reduces the mana cost of the next Arcane Missiles or Arcane Explosion by 100% and reduces Arcane Missiles channeling time by 20%. It has a 1% chance to proc for every 0.5% base mana you spend. That's 1% per 100 mana at 110 and 1% per 500 mana at 120. The mana spent has to either come from a damaging spell or Spellsteal (fina-fing-ly). To maximize the amount of procs you get, you want to cast relatively expensive spells. In other words, it's no longer based off a successful cast but on your mana spent. This is good! This makes mana actually matter as you want to stay at those 4 charges as much as possible to get as many procs as possible. You also get to use those procs on AoE rather than have them sit there unused. The 33% increase to mana regeneration makes Mastery even better, so for now it appears that the spec fantasy of being this mana battery of destruction had some solid foundations to be realized. The problem here is that it is not being exploited in any way. This is where the brakes were applied with terrible results... and we don't even have insurance :( What we need is some spell (Arcane Missiles or maybe a brand new one) to cost a lot of mana while also dealing a lot of damage so we can have some measure of control over our burst windows. We literally have almost too much mana, to the point where I think that it might make more sense to have Arcane Power increase mana costs again so that we can exploit Clearcasting more (and feel more rewarded for it). It's safe to assume that this will be addressed at some point, but when is currently unknown. The hope is before Uldir or 8.1 at the latest.Mythlos226 1d
1d FIRE Mages NEW DESIGN! Mechanical Hot Streak has been removed in place of clear casting, which will help significantly improve the Fire Mage. This change will significantly help the fire mages spells to all have value, where at current a few were becoming significantly invalidated (fireball). Added "Clear Casting" Flame Strike RemovedFirebolt Added. Firebolt: Deals damage to the target by 23% Spell power, and 72% Spell power to near by targets. Instant Cast. Stores 2 charges. 8 Second Cool down. Talents Firestarter: now causes fireball to have an additional 10% chance to trigger clear casting. Pyromanic now increases ignite damage by an additional 5% Pyroclasm: now increases pyroblasts charges to 3 Firebomb: Initial Explosion damage increased by a factor of 1.5 Flame Patch removed Conflagration: now causes ignite Damage over time effects have a 15% to swell up dealing 28% Spell power in damage. Phoenix Flames now has only 1 charge, but its damage is increased by a factor of 2.25 and now longer diminishes in damage per a jump Honor Talents Removed Tinder Removed FireStarter Removed Controlled Burn Removed Flame Cannon Reduce the healing of the target when you pyroblast them by 20% Fire damage has a 30% chance to Daze the target in place for 3 seconds Fire Breath now has a second charge Counter spell has a second chargePolymorph Explodes dealing 200% damage if the effect is cleansed. [/li] Aminari18 1d
1d Light Forged Draenei Mages I dunno if I have seen one let of all a 120, where y'all at!?Mozzie18 1d
1d Brain Storm Nerf? Thoughts. Gogo!Haedës53 1d
1d Awkward moment for fire Its that wonderful awkward moment when you realize a disc priest smite crits for more than your pyroblast does.Kimbustion27 1d
1d Frost Orb Could we have this fixed so that it doesn't stop on critters/lvl 1 mobs in dungeons? I've had this happen so many times (as well as seen other ppl experience it) that it's not even funny anymore, especially since it's a pretty decent dps increase while its out. Perhaps have it pass through lvl 1's? Just sick of seeing it get caught halfway to its destination coz a random spider walked by in Atal'dazar and having to wait a good 40 seconds (counting blizzard procs in aoe) to do it again. That and it still gets caught on random parts of the ground where it has a very subtle break in the floor where it just sticks.Alivanestril12 1d
1d Arcane Missiles Cancelling Itself? Has anyone encountered situations where arcane missiles suddenly cancels itself after only 1 or 2 missiles are fired? I've encountered this every time on the trash before Taloc. It sometimes happens in other content, but with not as much frequency. I don't know what I'm doing to trigger it. I'm not pressing anything during the channel, and I'm not moving even though I have the slipstream talent.Fatcow7 1d
1d Arcane Barrage not hitting other targets... Is this just me or has anyone else playing Arcane noticed that when you have a full arcane charge and you use arcane barrage and it shoots multiple swirles at the targets infront of you that it only deals damage to the main target and the other swirles hit but do not do any damage? I have noticed this happening quite often and I am trying to figure out if it's bugged or something. Please tell me in not the only one noticing this...Wtfboom6 1d
2d Rising Death or Int Potion - Does it Matter? So I've been using rising death potions, and IDK if they're better, just that Icy Veins told me to use them. Should you have a certain gear level for one over the other, or, like title says, does it really matter for Frost? Because 25 seconds for a proc that increases in damage as it's on it's way to boss doesn't sound too good compared to raw damage/throughput (int).Ambersfrost3 2d
2d Getting 10k dps with frost How do I get 10k dps with frost? Is my ilvl too low? I don’t want to get replaced on my raid team and I honestly don’t want to play arcane+ I don’t have gear for it as well. I’ve really only played frost since I started this character and I really enjoy it! Could I be running the wrong talents?Yanà13 2d
2d Big red button question How can mages get it since its not on the loot table? Only by trading with a party member or am i missing something?? Tyvm for any infoGabriellanna5 2d
2d Frost mage only Which of these Azerite traits is better? Glacial assault? Or Winters reach?Ragingpowers14 2d
2d Frost Mage DPS - BFA Having some trouble with Frost Mage DPS. Seems it is hard for me to maintain even 6k dps. RaidBots say with my gear could do 10k. My iLvl is 340, I'm a GS(Glacial Spike) Frost spec. Following rotations from Altered-Time & IcyVeins sites. My Critical Strike is at 17% and Haste is at 8% So, what am I doing wrong?Zanix11 2d