Mage

Jan 18, 2017 PvP Mage Macros- Suggestions add your own. I'm interested in sharing what I've got so far, and what else is out there. Not everything I have is originally mine, but most of it I've created myself. Keep in mind I made my mage a few months ago and haven't played much arcane. Original macros have been edited, mostly my own where I've seen the error of my ways, and some have been combined with ideas posted by other players. All credits will be listed. Since this is a thread I created please don't be upset if you post a macro and it is not reflected in the list. Chances are I either somehow missed it or I just don't believe its beneficial, or carries too much risk. Enjoy Pet Macros - Player attacks, Pet attacks player's target,pet defensive ... - Cast Frost bolt, Pet attack player target (on harm), No harm cast Arcane Brilliance ... - Super Polymorph Macro -Lanceløt contribution ... - Pet Freeze, just adds ! to any target area ability ... Miscellaneous Macros! - Makes food while holding shift, consumes food if not ... - Uses Flying Mount if possible, if not uses ground mount. Holding shift uses slowfall ... - Target any of a list of players macro, was useful for tol barad dailies(lower down gives priority) ... - Flame Orb (using cool orb icon, since normal looks like garbage) ... - Rocket Belt (using rocket boot icon from drop-down choice) ... Trinket, Damage, And Utility Macros - Deep Freeze Focus ... - Deep Freeze harm, Arcane explosion vs no harm(stealth) ...- Fire Blast vs harm, molten armor if not(fire spec) ... - Fireblast vs harm, Mage armor if not(other spec) ... - Fire blast Focus (impact) ... - Scorch vs harm, Arcane brilliance if no harm, cancel iceblock ... - Ice barrier has priority over mana shield (will force second mana shield at times) ... - Ring of frost ! ... - Stopcasting->iceblock ... - Cancel iceblock, ice lance ... - Spell steal, cancel aura ... - Damage Cooldowns (no time warp) ... - Damage Cooldowns (time warp) ... - Damage Cooldowns, (Combustion) ... Other User Submitted macros - Counterspell Focus (can't believe I forgot to add this) -Lanceløt ... - Spellsteal focus -Lanceløt ...Mosez188 Jan 18, 2017
Oct 26, 2010 Welcome Mages: Please Read! Welcome to the Mage forum! This forum is here to provide you with a friendly environment where you can discuss the mage class with your fellow World of Warcraft players. Community forums work best when participants treat their fellow posters with respect and courtesy, so we ask that you take the time to read through the forum Code of Conduct (http://us.battle.net/en/community/conduct) and guidelines (http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/15252595157) before posting. Important Reminders: Search The search function at the top of the World of Warcraft community site is extremely effective and robust. Before you create a new forum topic, please be use it to search for similar topics, blog posts, or web pages that may contain the answer for which you are looking. Making a new thread on an existing subject can result in your thread being deleted or, if you continue to re-post the same content, the loss of your forum privileges for spamming. Rating The forum rating system can be used to promote positive discussion, demote unhelpful comments, and even report posts that violate the forum Code of Conduct. By hovering over a post you'll be presented with several options, including a "thumbs up" (Like) and a "thumbs down" (Dislike) icon. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon will rate the post up. If enough people like a post, it will gain a Highly Rated status and appear at the top of related search results. Highly Rated posts will also have a highlighted background. Clicking the "thumbs down" icon will expand a drop-down menu which will include "Dislike," "Trolling, "Spam" and "Report" options. "Dislike" will rate the post down. If enough people dislike a post, it will be darkened, and with a lot of dislikes it will be hidden completely. You can also quickly report a post as trolling or spam, or use the report function to fill out a more comprehensive description of a violation. Please note that you can only rate each post once. Use your power wisely to help foster a positive and helpful forum community. Have fun posting on these forums, and good luck with your adventures in Azeroth!Lylirra1 Oct 26, 2010
7m Mages, what happened? I pvp. Mages are nothing in pvp. They die faster then anything I attack. Why would anyone play that class? Also, why is the most fragile class, BY FAR LOL, in the game not given heals? I think every class has heals but them? LOL What the hell? Just curious. Ive seen them owned all through Legion. I rarely see one that holds his own. The good ones that I do see run out of CDs and die in seconds. Not sure if there is a bad rotation or whats going on... pretty redicoulous..Silentkiss10 7m
52m Why/When did blink have to be/get ruined? Note: I tried searching via both google and the search on the forums and didn't find anyone else giving this same feedback so thoroughly, so I decided to do so. I loved blink, and during Vanilla through WoTLK I milked it for all I could, using it to traverse the world and climb into all sorts of fun places. For example, it was an essential tool for getting all the way on top of the Valley of Honor in Orgrimmar starting from the farm to the left of the Orgrimmar gates after the WoTLK wall climbing fixes as just one example, so it's an ability particularly near and dear to my heart in functionality, usefulness, fun, and ability to see all of the world, even when you haven't unlocked flying in a zone quite yet. I stopped playing in WoTLK and came back at the end of Legion just a couple months ago, boosted this shaman to 110 and decided to level whatever I wanted to actually play in the long-term to 110(waiting until I finish unlocking void elves before I finalize what casting class I'd like to play). I was trying as many classes as I could to just get the general feel even if it took leveling them to 60-70 before I had most of the rotation, but the moment I got blink and tried it there was one thing that stood out. I'll give the story leading up to it though, as I really was liking everything I tried with mages.(frost and fire, as I never did really give arcane a fair swing) I would've played a mage, and was quite enjoying leveling one until I realized blink was utterly busted in the least fun and least interesting possible way when I was in Wailing Caverns, reached "the jump that wastes several minutes if you walk off the edge instead of jump" and tried to blink across like I used to and it just locked me to the edge. I was holding W, so I just walked off and left the dungeon to figure out "what in the actual REDACTED is going on with blink?" Blink would just fail, and it would fail in a wide variety of situations it had never failed in before I reactivated my long dormant account. It basically only worked properly on wide flat areas with extremely minimal height differences as far as any stress testing I did cared. I deleted my mage on the spot and decided to play literally anything else unless blink was fixed. I just don't understand, why did blink need to get ruined? I get that Blizzard added multi-blinks and stuff like that in the meantime while I didn't play, but that's not a problem with Blink itself. That's a problem with their decision to give too many uses of a wonderful, flexible, and fun movement ability, so I have one more reiteration of this question/statement to make: Why did blink need to get ruined? What sensible reason was there to ruin blink so brutally and thoroughly? It just seems utterly and completely ridiculous and definitely not called for.Krazzt22 52m
53m Why do locks get two 5 second CS? How is that even remotely fair?Silentkiss4 53m
1h Mage DPS...what happened? Back in Vanilla, we had DPS. We were the OG glass cannons. But now it seems that all classes are basically re-skins of a base core that are all 'equal' to each other...except they aren't because some classes can offload their dps in a way a mage can't and some can heal when they really shouldn't be able to. Warriors can heal.... o.O . Paladins seem to have greater mobility....o.O . Druids are OP AF (our Mythic Argus guilds main tanks are Druids (warriors apparently got their class 'deleted')....WTF is going on! I'm currently sitting at around 930ilvl and my dps is....not so great (like near the bottom not so great). I usually either go fire or ice (I switch between them regularly based on situation) but for some reason just can't offload the dps required. Even priests seem to nuke far more based on the numbers i've seen. And before you all go to your "get gud scrub" macro, know that i'm seriously asking the question, wtf happened? Do they need to start giving us healing and tanking abilities and a 30% damage boost now to bring our class in line with others? Now don't get me wrong, I like my mage. It's play style is really fun. I really like the concept. Far more than e.g. warlock, rogue, druid, monk etc. But I just feel that glass canon, we are NOT. Not when every other class basically has the same dmg output but are either far more mobile or far more tanky or can even heal themselves at the same time. All in all, it seems the proof is really in that I see a lot of other players seem to agree insofar as I hardly ever see mages being played now. Oh sure you see them in the order hall. But that's about it. Every raid i'm with, there's me and a 1 or 2 other mages. All the other dps is either hunter, warlock or druid. Maybe it's just my rotation (although I think its fine). Help?Fayorie9 1h
1h BFA - Mage PvP So what's the verdict for this August? Are mages going to have a shot in PvP? I've mained a mage since Vanilla but kinda gave up on them this expansion. What's it looking like in beta?Milambehr165 1h
1h WarMode BFA Cheat??? Is there a cooldown on war-mode being enable? what stops us as mages doing a bunch of quest then porting back to the city to enable war-mode then hearthing back to area inn keeper and turning in all the quest for the war-mode bonus exp? Or am i missing something?Deadlybolts1 1h
2h If fire is going to be the mythic+ spec... ... in BFA, I'd rather the dragons breath helm as a talent over the bracers.Burnycínders14 2h
2h Which spec for PvP I am think about trying a mage for PvP. What the pros and cons of each spec? Is there a dominate spec or does it change from tier to tier? All feedback is welcome.Tavlina26 2h
2h Easiest spec to PvP with? this is probably the first expac i mained a mage started it in late WoD when Legion was about to release. wanting to get more into PvP as a mage but i suck. Currently i Main frost as that is what i swapped over to for raiding and M+ i enjoy it despite the boring rotation at times. wondering if Frost is viable for PvP such as 3's and RBG's or am i better off going arcane or fire? just going to be practicing since i suck in pvp not expecting like 2k rating or anything. did 1 rbg thus far surprisingly i did fairly good had top kills with low dmg. i tried arena's and i just get rekt badly. im planning to main Frost in BfA again with some Fire for M+ but i do want to get more exp in for PvP in BfA instead of just swapping to another class i don't care to main but have a lot easier time playing it since i mained that role for the longest which is healing.Lethidoxi6 2h
3h hello helloSilentkiss4 3h
4h mages have it so good it’s hysterical everyone whining on this forum...it’s absolutely unbelievable. two blinks, ice block, bubble shields..and you have the audacity to whine about survivability? do you know what’s like to play enh or ele...to be incredibly squishy and have no escape tools? no immunity or burst mobility? playing on my mage is breathtakingly easy in pve ...i literally can just iceblock if i get aggro or blink away if im in fire...or even frost nova if im being chased by mobs. and if my reflexes were too slow as fire i can iceblock AFTER ive died lMAO. it literally blows my mind that a fire spec can even cast a spell called iceblock...wtf mages have an answer for EVERYTHING ... and then i see people whining about having boring rotations... then pick the freaking talents that add active abilities to your bar? dont take lonely winter...take ray of frost. dont take thermal void take glacial spike. and for the love of god dont take overpowered... boo hoo you might have slightly lower dps. wahhh wahhh and dont even get me started on pvp. literally no melee has a chance against you in bfa 1v1 especially if you frost or arcane. this forum is such a whiny poop show. if you are upset that mages arent different enough in bfa than play a different class. the class is perfectly fineWindrar16 4h
10h Arcane Missiles are the Real Culprit People have a lot of problems with Arcane in BFA, but I'd posit the real gameplay problem stems from Arcane Missiles. No longer being a proc-only spell is interesting, but I think it's really the source of most gameplay problems. Depending on how the numbers come out there are two possibilities: Arcane Missiles are too powerful - then solo play will be just casting Arcane Missiles, leading to very boring play. Arcane Missiles are too weak - then solo play will be just casting Arcane Blast, with clearcasted missiles when possible (or not if missiles are really really weak). In this case, no one will really get any benefit out of missiles being available off-proc. Both situations could make gameplay extremely boring when compared to Legion, because it's back to an 100% one-button spec (potentially with some hitting a second button in reaction to clearcasting procs, but with no flexibility since it only stacks once). My solution: Make Arcane Missiles weak without a clearcasting proc, but really strong when clearcasted (and maybe with high mana via the Amplification talent). I'd also let it stack at least to two, so that you don't have to interrupt an Arcane Blast cast to switch to missiles. I'd also like to see Arcane Missiles build charges so that it could be a free builder for Arcane Barrage-ing in AOE. This could also make it reasonable to build charges with missiles (especially if weak standard casts were mana-efficient) and then cast high damage Arcane Blasts. We need an incentive to weave back and forth. This is still a little less interesting than having it be affected by charges, but still removes the damage penalty when casted at < 4 charges. I think this could be a minor enough change that it could almost be accomplished just with numbers tuning. And it solves the gameplay problem people are worried about. While leveling my Void Elf as Arcane, I've grown very concerned that BFA leveling could be just me spamming missiles after missiles after missiles. Yes, this doesn't solve the "boring talents" or "bad AOE" complaints, but a lot of what we do is single-target solo-play. Making a small change to missiles could make that a lot more fun.Arcäs9 10h
16h Isn't the Archmage title account-wide? So I have a human mage that I have earned the 'Archmage' title with. I leveled a Void elf mage all the way up to 110 yet no such title is available. Wowhead says the achievement is account-wide. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the meaning of that but wouldn't that apply to all (110) mages on my account? I'd prefer to not re-earn the title as I leveled the Void Elf for the heritage gear instead of just changing my human to a Void Elf. Thanks in advance for the clarity.Sëmirhagë4 16h
21h AOE mage farming I know it was good in Vanilla but I'm wondering if it's still a good way to levelGiuseppe3 21h
1d Searching for 20-30 lvl help I just started this Void Elf mage and have specced into Fire. But I am having problems finding any kind of guide to help me learn this that addresses pre-40 levels. Obviously, Icy Veins is my go-to for information, but all their information is geared toward high level characters who are starting to raid or working on their 100-110 leveling. Is there anything anywhere that offers basic information for someone with limited skills (such as pre-30). I only have one talent I can take right now and that's it, so a lot of the information IV is offering I can't even use yet. I am basically questing but would like to learn this spec in order to be efficient as I level and get into dungeon groups, etc.Vinara4 1d
1d Temporal Shield not Active? I know I'm probably way late with getting this honor talent, but I got Temporal Shield and I put it in my action bar and it comes up as inactive. Is there a Frost Mage talent that you have to have on for it to work? I already have Ice Barrier so I don't know what's wrong here.Violetspirit3 1d
1d How does one learn to kite I recently started playing a mage (chose arcane) and am thinking of switching to mage for bfa I am enjoying group content as a mage but world content is hard as an 808 mage I was getting smashed by invasions So my question is how does one kite effectively Also heard frost is easier to kite with is this trueTorunndottir8 1d
1d For those staying mage, Which spec do you think you Will be running come BFAOshiì33 1d
1d Rotation tips please? Hey there, I was slowly building this alt up but decided around level 80 to do a character boost. I had always done competitive dps before but it really is just awful now. I've reviewed the suggested rotation on icy veins and I'm trying to implement it but I must be missing something, it is still really low. Do any arcane mages have any quick tips for things I should be sure to attend to in my rotation? Things that should always be on/ how you recommend charges be spent, etc.? Thanks so muchStinamarie2 1d
2d Triple Threat Mage Tower Just finished getting the Arcane and Fire skins today after 5 attempts each, completed frost long ago, any other mages get all 3 of theirs after some difficulty learning the other specs and how they worked?Trilipervo15 2d
2d PvP-Fire Mage feels like... Feels like: https://imgur.com/a/NtHrljU Reality: https://imgur.com/a/jhWVC7O More explosions than a Bond movie, booms everywhere! Flames! Destruction! Then at the end you look at the scoreboard and like 1 KB and 24k damage lol. Is it just me? Sure is fun but feels so much better than the result you get from it.Dredzuhl5 2d
2d Went on the PTR as arcane. Whew I love spamming arcane blast! What great gameplay! What a huge change from legion where we had to press more than 1 button. Thankfully they nerfed those other pesky moves so I wouldn't have to think anymore. Thanks Blizzard!Peach5 2d
2d Recommended Bodyguard? I'm looking to change my Mage's bodyguard from Modera to Vargoth. There are no up-to-date follower guides (as far as I could tell), so I just want to confirm he's still a great choice and didn't get nerfed at some point, etc.Kasskeelhaul13 2d
2d Rate That Mage Mog 3 Because 2 got so big we had to put it down.Koadic111 2d
2d [BFA-pvp] shimmer recharge. does anyone feel 20second shimmer recharge is too long for frost mage?Furryfurry4 2d
3d Ion Q&A - Arcane is fine guys! ... Source: http://www.wowhead.com/news=284967/liveblog-of-the-june-14-battle-for-azeroth-beta-q-a-with-ion-hazzikostas We were not even mentioned among the classes that need changes, not even for 8.1! We are fine you guys! /facepalmGarmagus7 3d
3d Mage Tower 7: Buff Mages edition last thread mysteriously disappearedLaenia351 3d
4d Really Need DPS Help I'm a Frost Mage, my ilvl is 927, and I'm still pulling about 650K DPS and I don't know what I'm doing wrong. My SimBot says I should be doing about 878K for the gear and talents that I have. I have my main combo, my starting cast and some important C.D. things memorized. I've been practicing in the Hall of the Guardian and the highest I can get up to standing still is about 890K. I've been doing worse in raids and dungeons even though I'm trying really hard and I've looked up so many guides and rotations. Someone please help.Violetspirit7 4d
4d Rate my opening rotaion World pvp. Polymorph Polymorph Polymorph (Because for some reason my poly never works or works for 2 seconds...) Combustion Fireball fireblast Counterspell Instant pyro Fireball By now combustion prob over. I’ll fireball till he gets close then dragons breath, frost nova, blink away. From here I’ll spam fireballs until they heal themselves to full health again then kill me. I’ll use fireblast whenever it’s avail and pyroblast whenever the instant procs. World pvp btwDreadnoks0 4d
4d Frost Mages explain Flurry When should I use this? I keep hearing frost mage is "frostbolt, frostbolt, frostbolt" Now Flurry might be a somewhat longer cast, but hits 3 times. Why is it not Flurry, flurry, flurry? When should I use flurry?Sugarkinz10 4d
4d arcane mages are OP in BFA Check it out https://youtu.be/wySJ8pUTNZYMenes29 4d
5d Conjure Refreshment Blizzard! Hear my roar!! Let me pick what food I want to make. IM TIRED OF EATING PUDDING. Let me serve brownies! Make this the main part of the next expansion! NOW! Thank you.Senrey6 5d
5d World pvp help I played vanilla 10 or more years ago. I could destroy basically any melee and most casters. Polymorph was a big play. Flash forward to now, I just got schooled by a lvl 22 thing (no idea why class it was. Made tenticals come out of the ground?). Everyone seems to get out of my poly and get out of my ice Instantly. Not sure I’d try have trinkets or what. Any class with flash head can outheal my burst damage. Questions: what classes are we good against? What combo so you use? (I try poly. Fire blast. Fireball till the get close. Ice them. Run away. Fireball till close. Blink. Fireball {fireblast whenever avail}) Lastly. Wtf was that class with the tenticals. Blood elf.Dreadnoks5 5d
5d another arcane post Looking at the nerf in arcane damage in bfa and also the 2% reduction in mana cost for Arcane explosion, im pretty sure that's it. They'll call it good. The fact that they start doing number tunings without addressing any of the issues that everyone has toiled and contemplated to give the best feedback in the forum, really devastate me, but why should I, isnt that always the case for arcane? I didnt play wod arcane and I had no idea how op it is or whatever, but for every new expansion each spec should have a fresh new start and be treated fairly. Why would they intentionally leave the spec like this. and by intentional i mean just look at all the changes! im sure they understand the problem of bfa arcane yet refuse to take action. so what we'll be able to confirm: -1-button spam with the occasional use of arcane missile -no stacking of arcane missile (no stacking of clear casting) -awkward aoe rotation -no flexibility in talent tree, what's the word? cookiecutter sth? For REAL? another expansion? At least arcane orb can sometimes be competitive in legion. but hey, the fact they're doing number tuning means the damage loss of casting arcane missile rather than arcane blast might be fixed. We would get that fix, then another 20% damage nerf. Have faith.Fuyumaho0 5d
5d Sustained Damage in Dungeons So I just got my frost mage to 110 and I have started running dungeons to gear up. I have noticed that the pace in legion dungeons is very fast. Most of our spells cannot be cast on the move and also mages seem to move pretty slow. So I find that I am constantly chasing my party members spamming ice lance and by the time I catch up where I can stop and cast most stuff is almost dead already. The only time I feel I am contributing is on boss fights. Any veteran mages out there with tips on the matter? Thanks!Gillziac9 5d
6d Return mages to our former glory... Bring deep freeze back...give iceblock a heal...get rid of flurry and give us back frostfire bolt! and give all mages blink heal instead of just fireBeond9 6d
6d Gearing up fresh 110... I parked my Priest at the end of ToS like 6 months ago... just came back and rolled this Mage. I'm about to hit 110 and am wondering about gearing up to a 930 ilvl. I'd like to run H Antorus and am wondering what's the best way to reach 930? Is it possible to hit 930 without running ToS? Thanks in advance!Madesyn10 6d
Jun 11 Frost Mage recommended change Reduce the CD of Frozen Orb to 30 or 45 seconds.Puffyfluffy1 Jun 11
Jun 10 @Blizz Please Fix Arcane Damage Please don't let how it is go live...their damage is literally way off the charts even without proper gear. If this expac leads to another HFC tier I'm just not even going to play and will unsub. Our guild in WoD literally benched 5 raiders for 5 arcane mages because they could do 3x the Dps or the lower end specs.Battlezone6 Jun 10
Jun 10 Mage Truth This is one of the best mages in the world https://clips.twitch.tv/CrepuscularProtectiveFungusHumbleLifeBeond7 Jun 10
Jun 10 Alliance Race for Mage Thinking about switching to mage for BFA. What race should I pick for Alliance? Is it Void Elf?Tearshed5 Jun 10
Jun 9 A mage change I would love to see I've seen this thrown around before but i would love some changes to mirror image. Our mirror images should effect us more, like their casts having a chance to proc hotstreak/clearcasting/brain freeze for us, also it should be baseline againMorteth1 Jun 9
Jun 9 Mages are useless.... I don't understand why are you doing this to mages? Like seriously 100% of the time a disc priest can just out dps you and its sad af! I thought mage was like the master of arcane magics but apparently we should have been learning disc the entire time cause it trumps every class of magic..... It is literally impossible to 1v1 a geared disc priest they are instant casting and nuking me. I mean seriously I put years into playing a mage but yet at every turn you buff every other class while leaving us behind. STOP THE MAGE ABUSE BLIZZARD!Idledan46 Jun 9
Jun 8 Nightborne mages Where you at >.<Arcborne34 Jun 8
Jun 8 worth gearing Offspec? main frost, sitting at 960 really don't care for raising my ilvl anymore since i likely won't clear mythic abt only thing i really need to do left on it is a +15 for skin and finish off heroic abt im at 8/11. i don't care too much for mage tower skins on fire i mean i've seen it and to me it isn't that nice plus im more of a staff person and i haven't really mained arcane since cata. only thing i really do rn is M+ just to learn so i can push higher keys in BfA but even then i really don't care for extremely high keys either as i don't even have a set m+ group but starting in BfA i do plan to gear up 2 specs from the start instead of just 1. so you think it is really worth gear an off spec rn or don't even bother? the +15 skin im no longer worried about since it will be obtainable in BfA now but rather get it over with now i am not too big on xmoging either though not a fan of cloth gear to me it doesn't look great mostly the helms though.Lethidoxi1 Jun 8
Jun 8 Returning Player, how are Mages? Played Vanilla through Cata (and a tiny bit of MoP), but haven't played since! I'm an old timey mage looking for some help from my class-mates. My questions: 1. How has Blizz treated our beloved class? 2. Is frost still the #1 PVP spec? 3. What is the #1 PVE spec nowadays? And how do we rank in endgame raid DPS compared to other classes? The forums seem bleak at first glance, but Blizzard always did kind of kick us around. For reference, I kind of peaked with WoW during BC when locks were waaay OP, but we held our own. Trying to get a lay of the land as I start questing again! Thanks!Kuásta28 Jun 8
Jun 8 Mages.. So it would be a cool idea to let mages change the color of their fire.. Have it be locked behind a questline or something like the mage tower.. So instead of boring red fire, you can use blue or yellow or white or green or purple..Lolpwned4 Jun 8
Jun 8 Just A Reminder... Tuning is yet to happen, the sky is not falling. :wheelchair:Failedwizard24 Jun 8