Mage

Oct 24, 2012 Frost Mage Squishy I started this mage off as an Arcance mage way back before MoP and I stopped playing her because she was so dang squishy. So, I thought to give one more try, paid to re-spec her as Frost mage thinking that the water elemental would be like a pet and help tank to keep damage off her. Not the case. Is there something I'm missing? How do you keep your mages from dying in every fight?Lulublue9 Oct 24, 2012
Oct 24, 2012 Re: Brain Freeze and the Bomb Tier From a pve standpoint, which of these yields best overall performance, single target? I have been using frost bomb up until now due to excellent bomb damage yield and the guaranteed brain freeze proc; you also don't need any kind of add on to manage this, the stock UI is completely adequate. But with frost bomb going up to a 6 detonation countdown, it may be time to consider the alternatives. Nether tempest seems to offer more proc opportunities, but the chance per tick is fairly low (I'm guessing around 20%, but that's just a guess.) Living bomb similar performance, but maybe not as many ticks.Deerde6 Oct 24, 2012
Oct 24, 2012 We are tired of blink malfunctioning. You can't blink on the top of the great wall of china without falling through, specifically by the pvp vendor. You can't blink in silvershard mines around the depot. You can't blink towards the stairs near the flight master at the Shrine of Seven Stars. How !@#$ing hard is it to bug fix this %^-* already? Apparently, extremely hard.Nyrok10 Oct 24, 2012
Oct 24, 2012 Crits Over Int and Incanter's Ward? So i read the fire guide on the top of the forums and for the recommended gems it has all the hybrid gems w/ crit unless its yellow then go strictly crit but why not just do strictly int and hybrid for int? Seems like it would be better. Anyone able to explain? Additionally, it discusses that due to the current raid mechanics of the t14 raid, only invocation and incanter's ward are viable choices so exactly how does incanter's ward work? Like it says will increases your damage up to 30% but does that mean you have to absorb 30% of your spell power to do it or what?Morpheuss18 Oct 24, 2012
Oct 24, 2012 Soft Haste Cap for Fire Mage Can anyone please confirm the soft haste cap for fire mages, if we have one anymore. I am currently at 3129 / 7.36% without the 5% haste raid buff. Thanks in advance. Spells Area52Spells2 Oct 24, 2012
Oct 24, 2012 Evocation lvl 90 talent.. I know evocation is the best DPS.. but it's just annoying. Especially in randoms where I'm evocating over and over again while waiting for pulls to get maximum uptime. I switched the talent to ward because of this (a loss of DPS).. I know if I want to raid I'll probably need this talent (so much for no more cookie cutters).. it's like having to stop to eat to keep a food buff up or something. Not usually one to QQ.. but I'm just saying.. it's annoying and doesn't flow.Edbelfour5 Oct 24, 2012
Oct 24, 2012 What should my Hit Cap be? At present my Hit is 2,809 (8.26%). My Miss Chance is showing 0% on level 90,91,92,93. Am I already Hit Capped? Thought I needed more, but yet showing 0% miss chance.Forsâken4 Oct 24, 2012
Oct 24, 2012 Pyroblast nerf, any better ideas than 3 sec? As much as I love my mage, this nerf is freaking me out a little. I don't know how other mages feel about this. For us to burst a class down, it takes forever especially if our abilities are on a cooldown plus if it's a healer with enough pvp gears, it's hard for us to take them down. We do not have a one shot macro like a warrior or a destro Warlock. I understand, all you blizzard employees are under a lot of stress and over worked and have a tough decision to make after reading all the people's new suggestions and QQs on this forum and possibly it already have been decided that most of the nerves are happening. I just want to request something, and I hope you guys can over look on my idea or some of the other players ideas who will reply to my thread. Instead of putting 3 seconds cooldown on a pyroblast, reduce the immediate damage done and increase the damage done over time. I just thought of it while I was playing last night with my guildies in lfr. What do you guys think of my idea? And do you have any ideas?Pinklord3 Oct 24, 2012
Oct 24, 2012 leveling a mage So I just rolled his guy, and can't help but notice I tend to be getting my !@# handed to me quite often while questing, and hardly ever do with other casters like my warlock. (I guess the pets probably help) Anydangway, I was wondering if I should just be using frost instead of the arcane spec I went with if I want to stay alive and quest with any amount of efficiency, or if questing in general is just hard for mages and I should try to stick more to dungeons. Thanks in advance for any advice.Parminides10 Oct 24, 2012
Oct 24, 2012 Noob mage question. Need some opinions here. I'm level 71 atm and I'm approaching the time where i need to pick my bomb talent. What's everyones favorite ability? Nether tempest, living bomb, or frost bomb? And for what reason? If it helps, I'm frost spec. Thanks for the help! :)Limbsorcerer4 Oct 24, 2012
Oct 24, 2012 scorch buff please If your going to butcher our burst and survivability the least you can do is give us back some sustained pvp dps.Lobsterfork15 Oct 24, 2012
Oct 24, 2012 How do you beat a warrior? I decided to pvp instead of pve because it's less annoying atm with level 90 talents being horrid. And I can't beat 99% of the warriors. I understand they are OP, and I don't want to discuss that. I want to hear the most effective way to beat them so I can practice it. Might as well play with the cards I'm dealt.Zadax16 Oct 24, 2012
Oct 24, 2012 Something back for all these nerfs? Instead of making this patch nothing more then a nightmare for mages, why don't you give us a little light to look forward to. There are improvements to the class that can be made that won't deem us OP. For example, whats the point of invis? it's on a 5 min CD, takes 3 seconds to work and most of the time in PvP you have 1000 dots on you... What about our water ele? so frustratingly slow that I felt I 'needed' to get a glyph to make him operate like all the other classes pets. What's the point of giving us evocation if nobody is going to use it unless its glyphed? Or our talents- why do you think every pvp mage has the same talents? We don't have really have 'options'Sneat16 Oct 24, 2012
Oct 24, 2012 water ele why do i have to glyph to make it smarter? shouldnt that just be a passive? i can see taking away the cast while moving but really you have to glyph it to make it smarter..... also WTF is alter time usless skill. i feel like im playing an emulator reloading a save state. useless pvp talent that has no use as i see for now in pveRaggordy12 Oct 24, 2012
Oct 24, 2012 Deep Freeze 4 Second Duration? Okay. So back to a 30 second cooldown, but with a 4 second duration... Which means you, and let's make this as clear as possible, removed and nullified the point of the Deep Freeze Glyph. Just remove the glyph. Period. Stop messing with stuff that works, then nerfing the stuff that works so you can waste one of our glyph slots. So ridiculous. Deep shouldn't have been touched in the first place.Banaritaz17 Oct 24, 2012
Oct 24, 2012 This needs to be made perfectly clear. 1. Mage dps is fine, though arcane needs work. 2. Mage pvp is fine. 3. Mage gameplay is clunky, uneven, inconsistent, and unfun for myriad reasons. T90 talents, homogenized specs, lack of real utility, lack of versatility, and a lack of direction and focus in design. It's not that we don't like being nerfed. It's that we don't like being nerfed in illogical areas that further exacerbate point #3. The pyro nerf fits squarely in that category. The lack of any sort of changes to the T90 talents lead us to believe that blizzard is either not listening or does not care. The lack of feedback from blues on many of the issues mages have been bringing up since beta has lead us to believe that this is a hopeless class that does not have a particularly interesting or fun future in this xpac. That is why we are upset. It's about design intent, and right now we don't appear to have a lick of it.Terrorific2 Oct 24, 2012
Oct 24, 2012 Glyph of Armors - Broken? Glyph of Armors Reduces the cast time of your Frost Armor, Mage Armor, and Molten Armor spells by 1.5 sec, and increases the defensive effect of each Armor by an additional 10%. Mage Armor 3000 mastery 35% Non glyph - 45% Glyph Molten Armor 5% Crit 6% Reduced damage non glyph - 16% Glyph Frost Armor 5% Haste 30% Slow for 5 seconds. - 30% Slow for 5 seconds with glyph. It seems to work for both Mage Armor and Molten Armor but not Frost Armor, wouldn't it give it a 40% slow debuff?Noradia2 Oct 24, 2012
Oct 24, 2012 Pyro 3 sec cooldown question is this 3 sec cooldown on just Pyroblast or Pyroblast! too (the hot streak proc if that still exists)Kolan1 Oct 24, 2012
Oct 24, 2012 Mage nerfs in 5.1 Blizz needs to wake up Yeah so you all know about the recent mage nerfs on the ptr. And especially the big nerf. the 3 seconds pyroblast CD. This is going to !%#@%@%* fire so hard. that it wont even be viable in PVE or PvP. Especialy since the more gear that we get, the more procs we will be getting and they will be wasted because of the CD. Also since they are changing combustion so that it only works with ignite. We wont be able to stack our ignite that high because we wont be able to do back to back pyros. Fire mage damage isnt even that far ahead of anyone. currently there are no fire mages that have the top 10 parses in any fight besides garajal (10 and 25 normal) I like the current fire. they finally fixed the RNG and its evenly competitive with a lot of other specs right now. If anything were to be nerfed about fire it would be combustion damage. thats it. Its just pissing me off that blizzard is changing and hotfixing things that dont even matter or need nerfing. But they allow BM hunters and arms warriors to run around and 1 shot people in arena. and in the 5.1 notes hunters are getting buffed in every aspect. (even though they are better than mages in both PVE and PVP. Second wind is a good example. its completely broken. simple as that. And should have been hot fixed the first week. This is some real simple !@#$ blizz. balancing classes isnt hard. all you have to to do is listen to us. or have competent people that play the game make the nerfs and buffs. Not whoever decided to give pyroblast a 3 sec CD. And yes. I know that this is ptr and its not official. But if people dont voice their opinions about blizzards mistakes then nothing is going to happen. I encourage you to do the same. Well thats my rant. byeChickenugg27 Oct 24, 2012
Oct 24, 2012 Does anyone else rage with these nerfs? Playing my mage was a blast until lvl 90, the lvl 90 talents just suck so bad.. the mage class right now feels so clunky and counter intuitive. I log on my ret pally, and I feel like I don't have to frantically check my buffs in pve, and I can just run in and faceroll in pvp. Would be nice if we got something tweeked to do with our lvl 90 talents to make them more practical, instead of being beaten down with the nerf bat.Ryros24 Oct 24, 2012
Oct 24, 2012 Frost or Fire for PVE I see many fire mages topping but with the new pyro cd that may change, how does everyone else feel? I have only played mage in cata so I still remember Arcane being top but now i hear arcane inst worth mentioning. Thank you very much for your time and consideration in reading my post.Juniper3 Oct 24, 2012
Oct 24, 2012 Mage Nerfs At first I nearly died from laughing. I was like MAGE NERFS AHAHA LOOK HOW HARD THEY GOT HIT. I was like everyone else. But since then, I've played against a bunch of mages in the arena and BGs. While they are extremely annoying to play against, I don't feel like their burst is that strong anymore, and their control is manageable. Their 90 talents ARE clunky. There is no doubt about that. As a warlock with semi-bad 90 tier talents, I feel for you. Today, my favorite 90 tier talent, KJC was buffed. I feel like I finally have a worthy 90 talent, yet I look over at you mages and still no love for your tier. The only nerf I definitely agree with was Ice Barrier. It was absorbing too much, in my opinion. Other than that, I felt mages were fine and the other nerfs were iffy. Anyways, what I'm trying to say is that people here should probably quit trolling mages. Yes, they were really strong at one point. But let's face it, they weren't as bad as BM hunters. At least they took skill to play. Why should they be nerfed for being OP a year ago, when they aren't OP now? I hope you guys get some love for your 90 tier like us warlocks did. Hopefully nothing to make you OP and cause more mage hate, but something that makes mages fun, just like KJC did for us locks.Çranky5 Oct 24, 2012
Oct 24, 2012 Mr. Robot, WoWreforge, what else is there? Is mr.robot accurate?Radbyrne2 Oct 24, 2012
Oct 24, 2012 Water elemental My water elemental wont attack anything i tell it to. I have tried putting it on passive, defending and assist but it wont shoot just sits there uesless.. Also i have tried resummoning it. Is this bugged or what can i do? Any ideas would be of helpSmatt1 Oct 24, 2012
Oct 24, 2012 ahhh yes Blizz... Bring on those nerfs :) Blizzard, I have to ask you, have you actually looked at what you are doing and asked yourself why? TLDR: Don't Care....Read, it's probably good for you 1st problim: Doing dailies I feel like I am fighting the entire zone because of your fail ignite/inferno blast mechanic. It hits targets who aren't in combat and I don't want in combat. So what is your solution? Oh yes, make me replace a "cool" glyph with a stupid glyph to "help combat" that issue instead of just making the annoying and uncontrollable spread of dots a non-issue for non combatants. LAZY! 2nd problim: Ice Barrier nerf? (why PvE is my question?) I kind of need it to soak Cobalt Mine...plus it's just stupid to nerf it for the PVE side of the house too....plus as fire it really helps for survivability.. and NO BLIZZ!!!! I am not going arcane or frost..... 3rd problim: You already dumbed down combustion once by removing LB from it... so why take out pyroblast? Did the LFR'ers qq cuz they had 5k combustion ticks since they can't READ like the rest of us? 4th problim: Why would you put pyroblast on a 3 sec cd? Honestly... why? Is this because of the combustion "buff/nerf"??? It's basically a lame thing that you introduced to the game called RNG and I often find myself hunting for a hotstreak proc as is....so why would you put a RNG ability on a cooldown? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of RNG? It sounds like some mage pissed in your wheaties and now you are just being an angry Dev. Blizz... think about what you are doing for 5.1 or I swear, I will stop giving out ports and biscuits!!!!Bawsed2 Oct 24, 2012
Oct 24, 2012 10/23 5.1 Mage Changes Some of these have already been talked about, but here's the full current list: - Deep Freeze Stuns the target for 4 seconds, down from 5. - Frost Bomb explodes after 6 seconds, up from 5. - Ice Barrier scaling reduced by 25%. - Ring of Frost cooldown is 45 seconds, up from 30. - Pyroblast is on a 3 sec cooldown. (reduced by haste). - New Glyph: Glyph of Discreet Magic - Your Nether Tempest, Living Bomb, Frost Bomb, Arcane Barrage, and Inferno Blast no longer affect targets more than 5 yds away from their primary target.Digerati13 Oct 24, 2012
Oct 24, 2012 3 Sec CD Pyro Suggestion. HI! Everyone that plays a fire mage in pve, know that even if that cd is affected by haste WILL hurt dps output. I didn't really realized until yesterday, when i knew of this nerf, how i was chaining pyros to be able to kill my 3rd spark on Elegon... I often have to POM-Pyro the last one if i have an horrible rng, which is always something to calculate as a fire mage, even with the new (awesome) mechanic in 5.0 I've just read something about a nerf on warriors, with their silences not working on players and im wondering why you dont use a similar mechanic so you both balance pvp bust, and keep fire gameplay in pve as it is right now... Was i was thinking is to make reset the cd on pyro on hit, unless it hits a player. That way, we have a 3 sec cd in pvp, and no cd in pve (even then we'll the travel time as a cd, but you get the point, im sure you can do something in that way.) Or, make it like the paladin talent with the hands. Make the cooldown trigger after 2 casts so you cant chain 4 pyros into a deep freeze, but keeping more freedom in pve. Im sure you can do something to both balance pvp and keep the gameplay for pve. Please just dont make pyro a straight 3 sec cd. That will hurt us in pve alot... TL/DR : I know that something has to be done in pvp to avoid having pyro chains, but the 3 sec cd will hurt pve even with haste affecting it.Kyranisa2 Oct 24, 2012
Oct 24, 2012 What about putting pyro crit on cd? Keep it the way it is now but put a 3 or 4 second cd on possible crit after a crit with pyro instead of a cd on pyro itself. Would this mess things up? Seems our flo would stay the same. Unless I'm missing something. I'm at a school concert so I can't think straightFireinice2 Oct 24, 2012
Oct 24, 2012 PVP race change Orc or Undead? please share your thoughtsCatastrophik6 Oct 24, 2012
Oct 24, 2012 Glad Mage Streaming 3s http://www.twitch.tv/bobjobSyfix0 Oct 24, 2012
Oct 24, 2012 474 Mage Streaming! Streaming dailys, raids, 5 mans what ever I can get into today :P www.twitch.tv/JGusseyZoey4 Oct 24, 2012
Oct 24, 2012 PvP Mage Frost~ (Noobie here~!) Hey guys, I'm Mriridia, a new face to WoW. I'm looking to get deep into the PvP aspects of the game. I'm looking for a lot of PvP advice like what I should do in certain situations, etc. I have a lot of questions, but I honestly can't think of them right now. If its possible, I'd really like someone to take me under their wing and show me exactly what I need to be doing to become successful! Thanks for taking the time to read this! <3~ MiridiaMiridia21 Oct 24, 2012
Oct 24, 2012 Updated list of mage spells and lvling spec Hi all - I used to use Thottbot and or wowwiki - Is there an updated MoP accurate list of spells? I turned 30, and I still only have teleport to Ironforge. both Thottbot and Wowwiki seem to be innaccurate - I'm also looking for advice for leveling spec. I'm just doing 5 man instance leveling mostly. Been using arcane - its fine, was hoping to just do aoes in the 5 mans with the mobs. Very tired of single target damage... ya ya, I use coc and frost nova - arcane blast is totally useless though. Also, don't blast me for 'read the sticky' or being lame - I've done lots of searches, and don't see much about leveling (lower levels) with MoP - just threads about 80+ leveling. thx for suggestions.Fizznut2 Oct 24, 2012
Oct 23, 2012 Suggestion: Make Slow a baseline ability Much like deep freeze afforded Fire with some controllable burst in PVP, Slow would allow frost and fire specs to have some kiting ability and control. Thoughts?Frii1 Oct 23, 2012
Oct 23, 2012 Vale of Eternal Blossoms Why is the Vale of Eternal Blossoms Teleport/Portal not in the drop down menu for Portals/Teleports?Sophex6 Oct 23, 2012
Oct 23, 2012 Tips for Arcane PvP? I'd like to know if someone out there has been experimenting on Arcane PvP or have some knowledge about what works for this spec. I still feel a difference when PvPing as Arcane and as Fire (Frost hasn't attracted me much yet, despite being a solid choice) and I'd like to see this spec performing as well as Fire and Frost. Ultimately, I'd like to build a body of knowledge on how to play the spec that can be useful to the devs for balance analysis, even though it might take some time until we have reliable information. It seems that the lack of guides for a spec can be disorienting when they are deliberating which changes are needed.Aowyn7 Oct 23, 2012
Oct 23, 2012 mage changes and suggestions PLEASE READ Venrüki2 Oct 23, 2012
Oct 23, 2012 Improved Invisibility = Vanish please? Yeah I know the current cool thing is to cry about Pyro and Frost nerf... but I'm hoping my small voice can be heard about Invisibility. Could we please have the same mechanic that Rogues finally received with Vanish? I'm getting very aggravated at being instantly pulled out of Invisibility after spending a talent point to make it better :( *Edit* And to clarify, I mean being pulled out by server lag, projectile being midflight, etc...Savoury14 Oct 23, 2012
Oct 23, 2012 Pve frost rotation? Hi,I've recently switched to frost after being a long time arcane Mage.I'm having trouble with finding a good single target rotation.Most of the forums have comments,but no real update since Cata.Any advice would be helpfull since I'm kind of lost in this spec.Thanks all.Aneca3 Oct 23, 2012
Oct 23, 2012 Constructive 5.1 Feedback From a mage perspective. First, thank you for Discreet Magic. Spreading DoTs to enemies we didn't want to damage was quite annoying. Second, Water Jet seems interesting. Potential for more FoF procs if used in conjunction with PoM and/or haste procs. It seems to me to be an entirely PvE ability, since the snare on Freeze is crucial. Third, the Mage Armor nerf is seemingly out of nowhere. I would really like an explanation behind this since I haven't heard any criticism (well, not much; people have a tendency to complain about anything they can) of the 35% reduction. Even so, during a full 8 second CC, for example, the difference is .8 seconds, something I can live with. I'm just surprised the .8 seconds was enough to devote time and energy to change. Fourth, and this is a major gripe of mine, is the nerf to Ice Barrier, reducing absorption by 25%. But the reason may not be what you think. Yes, it's a straight nerf to our survivability, but my major concern is that instead of working on Temporal Shield or improving Blazing Speed (they did, slightly, but I'll address that below), Blizzard took the easy route out here. Temporal Shield is lackluster in every scenario. That's why from dungeons to dailies to raids, arenas, and battlegrounds, most every mage has Ice Barrier. Making IB worse isn't going to make one of the most underwhelming talents we can choose any more attractive. Most mages are still going to take IB and live with the nerf, and if that was Blizzard's intent, then well done. But please look at Temporal Shield. When I first read about it, I was excited since the mechanic looked interesting, but after testing it for a while, it underperformed for me in both PvE and PvP, which is why I reverted back to IB. Here's a suggestion for TS: make the heal instant, but only 75-80% of the damage taken. The heal is too slow, period. Fifth is the Pyroblast cooldown. While fire burst in PvP was incredible, and did indeed warrant nerfing, including a cooldown on this spell, in conjunction with the cooldown increase on Deep Freeze has just removed fire from competitive play, whether PvE or PvP based. For PvE, stacking Heating Up procs and unleashing a torrent of Pyroblasts, especially in conjunction with Alter Time, was crucial to our DPS in terms of flat damage and Ignite/Pyroblast DoTs, especially for Combustion. With this change, you can only get a maximum of two Pyroblasts to count towards Ignite. With the Combustion change (only based off ignite), the damage from that spell won't be hit as hard as if it had stayed the same, but it is poor pittance for limiting Fire's main DPS mechanic on such a scale. Most importantly, in my opinion, is that Fire won't be as fun to raid with. Essentially making it so that you cast a Pyroblast once every 3 seconds is going to dumb down the rotation considerably, and it will be VERY frustrating to see Pyroblast! procs going to waste when the damned spell is on cooldown. Hell, the spec revolves around NEVER wasting one of those procs, and limiting the ability to cast the single spell that that makes it possible is one way to piss off a lot of mages. In terms of PvP, yes, something had to be done. Everyone's just going to go frost now, though, and because of a lack of any significant changes (we can still kill someone in a Deep Freeze, no matter that the cooldown has been increased) Frost's burst will be just as overpowered as it is now. Which brings me to point six, the cooldown increase on Deep Freeze and Ring of Frost. Honestly, I feel these were warranted, especially for Deep Freeze. I don't use RoF that much anymore, in favor of Frost Jaw, so my knowledge here is limited. We already went over point seven, the combustion change, so that brings me to the Blazing Speed "buff". The limiting factor was never the 2% damage. Most any damage we take is more than 2% of our health pool, unless a caster is poking you with his staff (eh? eh?). The limiting factor is the cooldown, and until that is reduced, it's not a viable pick over Ice Barrier, even after the nerf. The talent is A TON OF FUN though, and I really want to use it, but being unshielded and mobile only once every 30 seconds is just not enough. Point nine. Spellsteal. Completely warranted. It is OP as fook in it's current incarnation. And finally, thank you for the Icy Veins fixes. I definitely noticed the bugs, which is why I haven't been using the glyph. Hopefully this is some constructive feedback for Blizzard to chew over before the patch hits. Any and all comment is welcome (try to keep it constructive though, we really don't need QQ posts from mages and gloating posts from every other class in here). Edit: gramur stufzLokza5 Oct 23, 2012
Oct 23, 2012 What problems do the mage nerfs try to fix? I am going to list the nerfs on the ptr patch notes, then I will guess at what the perceived problem is, whether or not I agree, and propose possible better solutions, because these nerfs are crap that don’t actually fix what I think they are intended to fix. ----------------------- Mage Armor now reduces the duration of harmful Magic effects by 25% (was 35%). Problem: Mages with mage armor gain too much benefit against magic dots and CC. Do I agree? I do think that glyphed mage armor (up to 45% time reduction) is very powerful. It is my default armor against comps that do not have a lot of physical damage. I do not disagree with the perception that it might need toning down. I think this has the potential to be a good change. ----------------------- The damage absorbed by Ice Barrier has been reduced by 25%. Problem: I can see three possible motivations for this nerf. 1) Mages “burst healing” (which is what this is effectively) was too high 2) Mages were too survivable in general. 3) All mages were choosing Ice Barrier and it is easier to nerf one than buff two. Do I agree? 1) Is it too much? Maybe, but overall I believe their “healing” is not. A direct comparison to other “pures” (a line that has blurred substantially over the years) puts mage burst healing behind destro lock (though not at the expense of damage like them) and BM hunter (with spirit beasts) but ahead of rogue and warrior above 35%. Against every single non-pure class and spec, they fall behind, both on burst and overall healing. Bottom line, I do not agree with this assessment, though my only argument is by comparing similar abilities directly. 2) Mages are fairly survivable, but only because we can be slippery. Melee will get on us, and it will hurt. Without IB, we have no way to survive. We can’t ever gain health back (outside of a glyph I simply can’t take). If mages had some sort of health recovery, perhaps IB wouldn’t be as necessary. Given that it takes tremendous skill to survive as a mage in the current MoP PvP model, especially against melee (a group I include BM hunters in), I absolutely do not feel mages are too survivable. They are absolutely less than my Boomkin or Feral, or my Hunter (with whom I refuse to play BM, and will wait until SV or MM is viable again). They are on par with my warrior or my DK. They are more survivable than my warlock, but I feel warlocks are fubar in that department atm outside of their CDs, so there ya go. They are less survivable than my brothers priest, in all forms, though that is second hand experience, and not first. For all other classes, I do not know. So no, I do not agree mages are too survivable. Honestly, they seem just fine. Behind some classes, but not by so much as to be untenable (not counting healers), ahead of other classes, but with a couple exceptions, not by enough to be a meaningful amount. They are middle of the road, and just right imo. Any nerf in this area only moves them farther from center. 3) I am actually guessing number 3 is the real reason. Do I agree it is a problem? Absofuginlutely. The others are complete crap. Others have laid out the problems, below I will offer some solutions. We have a model where every class now has healing. This spell is a mages only effective healing. Without it, we have nothing, and yet it is obviously necessary to have it, because they gave it to everyone, and the game is modeled around point, counter point. Point one to damage, the only counter point to damage is healing. Its required. You want people to take things that help avoid needing a self heal, yet the offered talents don’t adequately perform that function, so it isn’t going to happen. You would have to nerf IB to oblivion before anyone will take either of the other two. Proposed Solutions: If (1) is true, I propose putting some of the healing into a HoT or other health regen over time, and nerf IB. Having some capacity to regain health, even if relatively slowly (at least 1%/s) might make IB not as necessary. It certainly wouldn’t make a nerf to it hurt as much as this does. If (2) is true, then (2) is not true, and a paradox exists and the universe implodes and everyone in it dies and WoW ceases to exist and the problem is solved QED. If (3) is true, then make the other options better, don’t nerf the only one that is worth taking because it’s mechanics are the most viable for survivability in the survivability teir. I propose the following: --- Temporal Shield Instant 25 second cooldown The first casting of this spell places a shield on you lasting 60 seconds. At any time during the 60 second period you can cast this spell again and it will instantly heal all damage taken in the last 4 seconds, dispelling the effect. The second casting of this spell is usable while stunned, frozen, incapacitated, feared or asleep, and is not on the global cooldown. Blazing Speed Instant 25 second Cooldown Removes all movement slowing effects and roots, increases your movement speed by 150% for 1.5 sec (long enough to actually get out of grip/charge range). and makes you immune to all harmful spells and abilities for the duration. May only be activated after taking a melee or spell hit, or after you kill an enemy that yields experience or honor. This spell may be cast while a cast time spell is in progress and is not on the global cooldown. ----------------------- If these were options, I don’t know which of the three I would take.Ardentum15 Oct 23, 2012
Oct 23, 2012 Pyroblast nerf is crazy I just had to say something. This is the one nerf that is absolutely asinine.Lobsterfork19 Oct 23, 2012
Oct 23, 2012 Response about Blue Post on Ignite mechanics I actually cant find the blue post any more since so many people have posted about the pyroblast nerf. Anyway the blue post was saying that after the initial ignite it takes three more ignites until the original iginite is all but gone. Here is the actual data. % original bank left follows the following formulae Tick # (1/2)^(n)*100 0 100% 1 50% 2 25% 3 12.5% 4 6.25%--->according to blizzard post 5 3.125% 6 1.5625%-->pretty much nothing left of original ignite 7 0.78125% 8 0.390625% These numbers were gotten by using a constant damage fireball with absolutely no haste. The model shows their is pretty much nothing left by the 6th tick and blizzard has it listed by the 4th tick. Although I did not include rng damage, haste and crit in the model, I am fairly certain the model is the same under those circumstances. The model also shows that the 3 second cd of Pyroblast will be fairly damaging to ignite growth and combustion even with the change to combustion because the first pyroblast will allready have lost half its ignite damage by the time the second pyroblast will even have hit. I understand this is supposed to be a nerf to pvp but when looking at the numbers i think its a pve nerf as well.Hotspot8 Oct 23, 2012
Oct 23, 2012 5.1 Mage Nerf - PvE Mage destroyed. That's all i can say. It will change our playstyle with Fire Spec, and sure will decrease our dps a lot.Beepbeep43 Oct 23, 2012
Oct 23, 2012 MAJOR GLYPH PLEASE! how devs how bout a glyph that extends ignite.... not its damage... just the duration... so that fire mages can use invocation without having to have ignite drop off the boss?Endo2 Oct 23, 2012
Oct 23, 2012 sup with fire mages? Cata Fire spec was one of the best flowing specs. It was fun to play. The changes that happened with MoP changed all specs drastically, not just fire. Fire has now become much more twitchy in playstyle. It takes some getting used to but it's still fun. The start and stop playstyle of the MoP Fire Mage is being exasperated by the proposed changes (instead of firing off a couple of pyros and back to casting, we will be stopping again in a couple of seconds). The unchanged mechanic of bringing a fire mage to one fight per tier is also a pretty annoying turn of events. Meanwhile back at the Frost base camp, we are seeing the Frost spec turned into the type of thing arcane was in Cata (easiest spec and most dps). So, the answer is... play frost b/c its more damage anyway... except that one fight this tier. The difference between frost and fire might be close enough that you can play fire anyway and be dead last dps but not by more than a few percent. Being last or 1st depending on your spec is not a valid choice for people to feel comfortable with. Arcane mages shouldn't have to be fire to fight feng anymore than Fire mages should have to play frost b/c it's hard to screw up. A return to the easiest spec being the best dps and the spec I want to play being best for one boss per tier is very much pissing me off. More than any nerf to pyro CD and nerfing the only burst mages have in pvp, I believe it's bad game design to have the low skill cap spec be the higher dps spec. That said, I don't think fire is hard at all... it's just not as easy as frost in mop or arcane in cata. In all honesty with the changes to arcane I think more people would rather play it than frost, if frost wasn't so hard to screw up. The mages quitting recently have been Frost. I suspect the dumbed down playstyle and Frost becoming the easy spec as more of a reason to quit than any patch notes. It's only an assumption but I think it fits the situation we are seeing. I've been playing since vanilla and I will more than likely unsub this xpac. Stupid changes like the Cd on Pyro won't make me unsub on it's own but coupled with the design of having to play the easy spec to do the most damage, it will. My one lonely unsub wont amount to a hill of beans so i'll keep the caps lock down and the forum posts coming until then.Slatra1 Oct 23, 2012
Oct 23, 2012 "Good DPS" So I have been doing Heroics and just started LFR and I was wondering what is considered to be "good dps" on a target dummy. Right now I am pulling about 50k as fire, Is this going to be good enough for raids and such? If not, is there a noticeable problem with my gems, enchants, gear, reforges, etc.? ( I have all the second best gems/enchants purely due to the price difference and how I short on gold i.e +120 int instead of +160, Lesser Crane Wing Inscription, and Lesser Spellthread whatever). Edit: Don't mind my 2 PVP Power Gems, I have replacements for those pieces of gear that just aren't on right now. Thoughts?Glóbaled5 Oct 23, 2012
Oct 23, 2012 Anyone raiding with arcane Getting any better results this week? Think theres only 6 of us in the world using it now, but if you are let us know how it competes. Ill fill in my take when i have more time.Batar20 Oct 23, 2012
Oct 23, 2012 What to do in between bursts? Frost 5.1 Now that mages's burst is on a 45sec timer, we are very unlikely to hardcast frostbolt AND spellstealing spam is completely out of the question with its 63k mana cost... What would our filler spell be? What are we supposed to do in between those 30-35secs? I mean, apart from trying to stay alive burning nova and RoF Cds if you still have them.. Someone?Saelo21 Oct 23, 2012
Oct 23, 2012 Level 90 talents Until 90 I really enjoyed my mage...now with the new 90 talents it just destoryed the fun of mage in pve...just destoryed it. Its very annoying now.Antimonde264 Oct 23, 2012