Mage

Jul 24, 2012 Something i don't understand i have wanted a mage for a while now but once i start one i get bored of it quicklyWheas10 Jul 24, 2012
Jul 24, 2012 reforge me please I just got back to the game raiding again and really dont have the time to look up the new stuff if there is any. If anyone out there who wouldnt mind helping me with reforging. and ya ya to to the people who are just gonna say search. Just hoping for a nice mage to help someone out. and post the link of what i should be or just say it in hereOdy6 Jul 24, 2012
Jul 24, 2012 Fire Mage Low Dps Fixed 4.3 Hello i just want to give all of you frustrated mages some tips helped me get up my dps accordly to my Item level. Everytime i asked mages about why my dps sucked they told me like my rotation, LB time up, reforges or stuff like that. More experimented Mages can complement what im saying or correct me but you guys will get a benefit from this Considerations 1. I use the scorchio 2 addon (not necesary to use this one, you can adjust the Combustionhelper to show you the bar timer) 2. My Big Ignite addon (i like to see the big numbers of it) So i read when the Pro Mages always said that they dont use addons to use combustion, they just count their consecutives crits ( i cant, there are too many numbers popping all over around) And i read something in a forum that is interesting: - When you have a crit, you apply an ignite... this ignite will tick 2 times each 2 seconds (with Scorchio you will se the bar counting from 4 to 2 seconds) - If you crit again before the first tick, before the first 2 seconds, you rebuff the ignite, so the bar timer will start again but with an increased ignite... in theory if you could be crit after crit you could build a huger ignite, this happends sometimes during BL or TW ignites around 35K So you crit, you apply a ignite, you cant see the ignite value untill the first tick (My big ignite), that could have been an ignite around 10K, but if you crit again before the first 2 seconds the ignite will stack and you could get a ignite around 15K (these are dummys ignites), and thats when you cast combustion This is awesome because you can save a pyro proc when you have a crit, when the ignite is starting its countdown use a stopcasting macro and cast the pyro and you can rebuff the ignite so your combustions are awesome this has helped me 2 weeks in a row staying in frist dps in raids, and i was always in 4 or 6 Tip: in Raids dont save a lot your combustions try to use your first one before the first 30secs of a fight even if it is around 15k I know a LOT of you Mages know this but i just wanted to clear it up since i was frustrating and it was not been clearly explained Thanks a lotWinaleth5 Jul 24, 2012
Jul 24, 2012 Conserving mana... So, I've just recently started playing WoW and decided to make a mage... but theres a problem, I always run out of mana in dungeons! I am arcane mage so I usually just spam arcane blast until Arcane missiles is ready, and then I use that, and then I repeat the cycle... this brings my mana down REAL fast. Can you guys give me any tips on how to either get more mana, or on how to conserve it? I usually bring potions with me to replenish it in between bosses along with using evocation, which has a long cooldown and isn't always ready when I need it. Thanks! :)Toongar14 Jul 24, 2012
Jul 24, 2012 New Mage Spell Idea - Teleport: Anywhere Now I know this may not be MY idea from past suggestions, but i felt I would post in on here anyways. For a neat idea, mages could have two new Teleportation Skills. These include: 1. Mass Teleportation - Teleportes EVERYONE within 30 yards to a specific location. Can only be used while in a group (party/raid) and has to be accepted by the player, sort of like when someone summons you through a summon stone. This teleport allows you to go anywhere in WOW where you have discovered. This teleport can not be used in combat and can not be used to teleport anywhere outside a continent (Random Ocean location). (2 hour CD, 2 min cast time unless everyone accepts.) Also, can not be used in LFR or LFD since those are Cross Realm. 2. Teleport: Azeroth , Northrend, Burning Crusade, and Cataclysm - Teleportes the caster ANYWHERE in which continent they are in. The caster is able to mark a location on their map to teleport to; again, only places where they have discovered. This spell CAN be used in Combat, but with a longer cast time (15 second cast time, normal 10 seconds). This spell CAN be interrupted. Usable while running. (1 hour CD) Both seem like fun ideas. I'm sure people who post on here will say they are overpowered but i believe if they have a little more tinkering they can add a little more versatility and spice to the Mage class.Lighthvader8 Jul 24, 2012
Jul 24, 2012 PoM as fire or cheating? I was on my twink mage at 60, leveling him to 70 most likely. I was in a 60-64 BG, and this particular fire mage somehow had PoM. He was fire. level 64 fire mage. Couldn't spellsteal, spellsteal is at 70. Just because I completely stomped him he started targeting me EVERY SINGLE TIME, and somehow have a instant pyro each time. He had no hot streak up, I have spell alerter and it would pop up. I carefully checked his buffs, he had PoM, and no hot streak. He targeted me, instantly sent a pyroblast. I'm not sure if its some kind of exploit or what, since PoM is in the arcane tree and pyro is a fire specilization. I'm not sure if I should report it or not, maybe he somehow got through it? Not sure ._. Thanks.Sava9 Jul 24, 2012
Jul 23, 2012 double frost mage 2's tonight for those keeping score at home: - Dish silences a warrior - lags out, the first thing Dish hears in the game is JKshatter going "BLOCK BLOCK BLOCK BLOCK" - Dish casts poly, warrior spell reflects, Dish poly's himself so it went wellDishmayhem19 Jul 23, 2012
Jul 23, 2012 my understanding of the new icy vein glyph so blizz changed the glyph of icy vein so that it will divide the frostbolt in to 3 and it will do a bit more damage. also this is not a cleave thing, all 3 frost bolts will hit one target, and if blizzard is smart, they will also let the frostbolt debuff to stack from all the frost bolt that hits the target. am i right or am i missing something?Babojjang6 Jul 23, 2012
Jul 23, 2012 Glass cannon....not....... I have always rolled mages in rpgs and the like because i very much like the feeling of being a glass cannon / fragile to the touch type of char. but lately it seems like its pewpew and the other class is laughing as they slash my little cloth face off. wheres the big boy hits you should expect from a mage man? :[Calaelen30 Jul 23, 2012
Jul 23, 2012 Arcane PVP - Stat/Gem priority hiya, just wondering what to reforge/gem too etc for arcane PVP? also is there a link to a build? thanks :PZåråh2 Jul 23, 2012
Jul 23, 2012 Making the switch from Fire to Frost (PVP) Greetings my fellow Magi, I'm currently interested in making the switch from Fire to Frost for PVP as it opens up a lot more workable comps for arenas and is a lot more sought out for. Unfortunately I've tried this multiple times prior and just can't stick with it, end up getting frustrated and move on/switch back to Fire. The main problem I'm seeing here is attempting to cast half my spells while on the move due to a lack of Scorch. So please leave your tips and any other assistance you might have for me, it is much appreciated! Have a smashing week Magi friends!Textile16 Jul 23, 2012
Jul 23, 2012 PVE Arcane trink advice Hey guys running atm foul gift and a raid finder cunning, my question is if a normal mode will of unbinding drops what should be replaced?Skisophrenia11 Jul 23, 2012
Jul 23, 2012 @pyromantikz I hate rogues with legendary daggers....Jkspiritlink10 Jul 23, 2012
Jul 23, 2012 Cone of Cold vs Frostbolt Glyph Whats better for frost mages? I've been using Glyph of Frostbolt but recently my friend who is a frost mage had been watching some videos and doing some reading and told me to replace this with Glyph of Cone of Cold. Anyway just looking for some other imput because I don't understand the reasoning behind the switch.Daendrin2 Jul 23, 2012
Jul 23, 2012 PTR They put the new mana regen mechanics in, or just leave em the same with the new talents?Batar7 Jul 23, 2012
Jul 23, 2012 @jk tried out cold snap on the ptr. ... Youre right, the heal + block reset is really awkward >.>Burnthesky24 Jul 23, 2012
Jul 23, 2012 Staff Mogging I've been looking through MogIt and Wowhead, but my question is as follows. Is there a list of Staves that do not show the Power Torrent enchant once mogged? Yes, I am aware that my current staff doesn't show it, but it also doesn't really match to well with my outfit. (Zombie Pirate) thanks in advanceEifersucht1 Jul 23, 2012
Jul 22, 2012 Piercing Chill and Fingers of Frost. Does the talent Pierching Chill benefit the Fingers of Frost talent? So, if you have 2 pts into Pierching Chill, and you get 2 more enemies, does this give you 3 times the chance for Fingers of Frost to proc?Noixi3 Jul 22, 2012
Jul 22, 2012 Glyph of Icy Veins (Mop updated) "Your Icy Veins causes your Frostbolt, Frostfire Bolt, and Ice Lance spells to split into 3 smaller bolts that each do 160% damage, instead of increasing spell casting speed. " Are they serious....Jkspiritlink71 Jul 22, 2012
Jul 22, 2012 circle of frost this skill is retardedly OP and needs to be nerfed or removed, the frost mages did NOT need this at allNarvas56 Jul 22, 2012
Jul 22, 2012 world of logs help/evaluation I just used world of logs for the first time tonight, and i just uploaded it. I don't really know what i'm looking at here, or if i even did it right. http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/q0c73czb96g48ck6/Lushus5 Jul 22, 2012
Jul 22, 2012 pvp- season 10 item questions Hi, I can't decide if I should buy the Belt and Boots. I have PVE boots/belt, that basically have better stats except for the resilience. Also, which two twinkets (honor points) should I buy for my mage? Last question. When I reach 700 CP, should I buy the CP wand, or no?Jshadows1 Jul 22, 2012
Jul 22, 2012 Crit>haste or haste>crit for a fire mage? Lately I've been stressing about what to reforge to. I've been looking at all the heroic progressing and 8/8H fire mages and noticed they all have crit>haste. I've also had people tell me to reforge to crit>haste, so I did. And I noticed my dps went down. I did 30k-32k when I was reforged to haste>crit. With crit>haste I'm doing 23k-27k. I got way more HS procs when I was haste>crit but right now I'm not getting a lot of procs. My rotation is usually Scorch -> Living Bomb (and refresh it) -> spam Fireball -> use HS automatically when it procs. And I use Combustion when I have Ingite, HS, and Living Bomb on my target. So is my rotation wrong? Or should I go back to haste>crit? ;_;Iqqu10 Jul 22, 2012
Jul 22, 2012 4.3 Frost Mage PvP guide EDIT: I had assumed this died. I just updated a lot of information that was faulty, fixed a few typos, and added a few random things. 4.3 Frost Mage PvP Guide I wanted to give a up-to-date guide to a few friends that were trying to learn the class, and I couldn't find one that was dedicated to frost, so I figured I'd make one. While it’s not a *very* difficult class to play, it can still be confusing to jump into if you’re used to another spec or haven’t played your mage in a while. All of this guide is intended for general PvP use, though I might make a few references to BGs/Arena. I’m no gladiator, and I haven’t ever played 2500 arena. However, I’ve played enough to know this class inside and out. If you disagree with anything, let me know and I’ll change it as I see fit. Also keep in mind that the purpose of this guide is to help beginning frost mages grasp the concept, not to train you to immediately become the greatest mage on the planet. Content: Talents/Glyphs Gearing Playstyle Macros/Keybinds UI Talents/Glyphs Your spec/glyphs should look something like this. http://www.wowhead.com/talent#oMZcbzbZffdhshszMo:MmRMqkm0o There isn’t much room for variation with the frost tree. Mana gems, evocate, mage armor, and our endless supply of food pretty much nullify the purpose of our mana saving talents. Shattered barrier isn’t a great talent, given that we can just use frost nova or cone of cold. Reactive barrier is totally useless, it just saves a button press at the cost of a talent point. You have to go into the fire tree to get Impact, which is infinitely better than anything in the arcane tree. While we're in the fire tree, blazing speed is a nice little proc. Prime glyphs should not vary from the three I’ve provided. Major glyphs can vary based on preference. Glyph of icy veins and glyph of invisibility are both useful at times. Minor glyphs will save you from carrying reagents, but otherwise those provide no benefit. Gearing A frost mage’s stat priority is as follows. Spell pen cap > Hit cap > Intellect > Mastery > Crit > Haste 240 spell pen is considered cap. You can easily get this from using a spell pen cape or neck, gemming/enchanting for spell pen is a waste of slots that could be used for intellect. Hit cap is at 4%. Intellect is your best friend. Take it when available, all the time. Frost mage mastery = bigger shatters. Frost mages like big shatters, therefore frost mages like mastery. The shatter talent multiplies your crit chance by 3. If you’re running at 16% crit, then with a shatter you’ll still only be at 48% chance of critting. Just get enough crit for your preferences, without sacrificing too much mastery. Haste is dang near worthless right now for frost. Resilience depends on your preferences, your comp in arenas, and your availability of PvE gear. Mastery gear is key to determine the viability of PvE. Ideal items are: Foul gift, soul casket, valor belt, valor cape, moonwell chalice. Soulshifter vortex and theralions mirror look good on paper, but they have enormous ICDs. Run with as little resilience as you can manage while still surviving. BiS enchants are as follows: Head - Hyjal revered: 60 int, 35 crit PvP enchant; 60 int, 35 resil Shoulder - PvP enchant; 50 int, 25 resil (scribes excluded) Cape - 50 int (tailors excluded) Chest - 20 stats or 40 resil Wrist - 50 int (LWs excluded) Gloves - 65 mastery Legs - 95 int, 85 stam Feet - 35 mastery, movement speed increase. Earthen vitality is decent if you're cheap MH weapon (or staff) - Power torrent OH weapon - 40 int When gemming, gem for straight intellect. If a socket bonus is worth getting in your opinion, use int/hit for blue sockets and int/mastery for yellows.Arctíc45 Jul 22, 2012
Jul 22, 2012 How do I gear for another spec for pvp? I'm currently frost and always wanted to try arcane. I know I have to stack haste out of the !@#, but how? Do I have to buy a whole new Cata gear set and gem that out? Or do most people simply regem/reforge their current gear?Magirific4 Jul 22, 2012
Jul 22, 2012 Mage PvP Trinket Hey guys, I've started gearing up a mage alt to do some arena 3v3 as MLS. Could the mage forums recommend a decent trinket to use (other than my medallion of course). I'm not human and I'd be interested in hearing what's good for Fire and Frost. I also don't plan on raiding, but I guess I could do LFR if it had a trinket worth while. Other than that I'm happy to get a PvP one or Heroics, etc. Cheers.Thugcity19 Jul 22, 2012
Jul 21, 2012 Greater invis MoP Does damage break this still?Batar4 Jul 21, 2012
Jul 21, 2012 Thinking about returning to WoW Heya, I'm thinking about returning to WoW and have been away for awhile (over 6months). Last thing that was big was Firelands Dailies, etc. Is it still the same? I guess I'm a bit confused about what to do and how to get going again. The guild that I was in doesn't seem to have much activity so...yeah there ya have it. :)Stukaa1 Jul 21, 2012
Jul 21, 2012 Just a thought about Timewarp I would like to have the ability to selectively choose who Timewarp affects when used. Something like a checkbox for each person in the group. Personally I think it would be interesting to see how it affects certain encounters if one could 'layer" it to benefit certain groups at different times (I know the CD time is prohibitive. I think it would go a long way in differentiating it from Hero/Bloodlust, and quite possibly foster improved quality of communication and interaction between players. I just would like to see some flexibility in how the spell is used. Just a thought...Ashfireburn3 Jul 21, 2012
Jul 20, 2012 Frost PvP and the 2 piece would you guys consider running 2 piece t13 in pvp or notCriance4 Jul 20, 2012
Jul 20, 2012 @Lhivera I want a favor. If you can't, I understand, but it would make me, and much of the community happier about things if you could. What i want, is for you to talk to your contacts at blizzard, GC, or whomever you can, and find out what they want/need from the PVP community on class balance. In PVE, it takes work, but its primarily straight forward, you run sims, crunch numbers, record data, and it tells you if attack A is too strong or if talent B is too weak. In PVP, we aren't really able to do that. But what type of data crunching could WE do to benefit blizzard and offer helpful advice? I know many pvp'ers would go through the work and crunch out the data necessary, but I dont feel like we know what would be useful to blizzard to have. Like i say, if its not possible, okay. But I feel it would benefit everyone.Jkspiritlink9 Jul 20, 2012
Jul 20, 2012 RMP Getting Focused I feel like I take way to much dmg and can never put out decent pressure, running 3's as RMP. I'm constantly focused and I feel like theres not much I can do against lets say, thug cleave or other comps that consist of a rogue. I know I'm doing something wrong but I honestly feel like I have to play defensively all game even with instant FoF ice lances and what not. Any advice on how to deal with these melee based comps?Nyrok1 Jul 20, 2012
Jul 20, 2012 @Incendium - little help with reforge You seem to be the most active / helpful mage around so I might as well come out and ask straight up for some help with my reforging (and regem if necessary) I am about to buy my tailoring and JC "kit" and should have them both maxxed out soon (swapping out Enchanting unless you would advice otherwise) for my extra gems and Cape enchant. I think I might have too much haste :P I am currently top 1-3 in all my raids in dps going from 25k-65k depending on encounter of course...but I feel I could do betterXiizii24 Jul 20, 2012
Jul 20, 2012 Reforge and stat help There's a lot of conflicting information about stat priority for arcane mages. They agree that hit and haste are the 2 most important stats (to cap at least) and I believe I have these capped. The problem arises as to whether to prioritize mastery or crit at this point. I was hoping some of the forum experts could take a look at my stats and let me know whether a) I've been doing it right and b) whether to prioritize mastery or crit after capping the other stats. I know I'm missing a head and bracer enchant and I'm working on it.Drinethor5 Jul 20, 2012
Jul 20, 2012 Heroic spine arcane switch My guild has been working on heroic spine and I feel that I'm not pulling what I should on plate lifts (a little over 1 mil a lift) I'm using my fire gear/reforge and have never played arcane. I'm just wondering what I should do to maximize my burst dmg, haste cap then dump everything in mastery? And any advise on trinkets (using bottled for this fight) macros and setup is greatly appreciated, thank youRhob5 Jul 20, 2012
Jul 20, 2012 DTR keep seeing this thrown around on the forums. "casters balanced around DTR", "melee buffed to balance DTR". Is there a blue post i missed stating this, or is this just a "theory"?Batar9 Jul 20, 2012
Jul 20, 2012 Transmog weapons for Tier 13 (LFR) Can anyone suggest any good looking daggers/offhand weapons that would look good with the LFR version of tier 13 (Refrence is my character).Iportyou2 Jul 20, 2012
Jul 20, 2012 Mage PvP Hey, I'm more or less a noob mage getting into PvP. I know the gear I need for PvP, but I'm a little unsure of what trinkets I should be using... There seems to be many options, so I was hoping someone could give me some good advice.Axey8 Jul 20, 2012
Jul 20, 2012 What to do first at 85? I signed my first ever max-level toon last night, a mage, and since I've never played end game or level cap i don't know what I'm doing. I exchanged some JP's for the Firehawk robes. my iLVL is good enough for most Heroics so far. I do 7-9k dos depending on the fight. I've got the Hyjal tabard on right now and am close to getting their enchant. Other than grinding Hyjal rep and doing heroics what else should i be doing? And after heroics do i do hour of twilight and after hour of twilight do i do raids? Thanks for any inputKathuzad7 Jul 20, 2012
Jul 20, 2012 Mages can be hunters! O.O! http://i.imgur.com/Vv2Uc.jpg?1 lolSoulfirex2 Jul 20, 2012
Jul 19, 2012 Rathrak v. Ti'tahk Both LFR. My offhand and the rest of my gear is per armory. I'm pretty sure Rathrak is the superior choice, but just want to make sure since I am stuck with a 378 offhand.Mimimagi10 Jul 19, 2012
Jul 19, 2012 Mage DPS down? Just got back to raiding after 2-3 months inactivity. Just got outdpsed (+3K) by equivalent level warrior and hunter while doing a perfect rotation on DW. Looks like Blizzard have improved other classes DPS but simply forgot about the mages. Is it me or I will simply stop playing my mage. Thanks for the answers.Jacar23 Jul 19, 2012
Jul 19, 2012 Talent Build Question. I had 2 points into FrostFire Orb. But I'm using the glyph for extra damage, so it's doesn't chill. That talent is useless with the glyph right? I'm thinking about using this: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/tool/talent-calculator#ec02!bjag!Y!SSTjVjVTad!YVhSjPloL Good or no? Still have improved blink, but slap one into piercing chill (nothing else really) and 3 into the pushback spell in fire tree. I know my gear is gross : (. Thanks!Kindagay8 Jul 19, 2012
Jul 19, 2012 Mage Haste Question What is the mage spell haste cap rating? Some people say 25% and some say 15% I am confused. My mage currently has 16.91% is that enough? ThanksCýdia15 Jul 19, 2012
Jul 19, 2012 worried abit this is my first true caster class coming from melee and this is the only one that i enjoy. im just worried that when i hit 85 everyone is going to call me a noob cause i rolled a mage and that i just wanted a "one button class" i hate when people say that. does it matter that i rolled a mage this late into cata? plus i have another question does arcane have another way of aoe besides the one spell where you have to stand near the mob? im just wondering thanks to all who reads this(:Blessedelune26 Jul 19, 2012
Jul 19, 2012 Best Fake Mage Spell EVER Reallocate: Teleports the mage to a location of their choosing within 30 yards. If targetting an enemy, the mage may teleport the enemy to any location within 20 yards. Line of sight must be maintained on both the target and target location if cast on an enemy. 45 second cooldown. /discussCorivana14 Jul 19, 2012
Jul 19, 2012 Switching from Arcane to Fire Okay, so I have been a little disappointed with my dps as arcane lately, specifically in regular DS raids. I was wondering how hard the switch is from Arcane to Fire? Also, once I get the rotation down smooth for fire, will I actually notice a gain in dps or no? I reforged my gear completely to fire. Any suggestions on making the switch or how my gear looks, or anything really from any of you experienced fire mages, please let me know what's up.Dryfty9 Jul 19, 2012
Jul 19, 2012 Battlegrounds without heirlooms? Hey so i was planning on leveling a mage through battlegrounds on a new realm. However, since i will be on a new realm i will have no acces to heirlooms. Is this a serious problem? Will i constantly be one shot and feel useless? Thanks for any feedbackSaidin7 Jul 19, 2012
Jul 19, 2012 The best thing to do as a mage. http://i623.photobucket.com/albums/tt320/Xiun/WoWScrnShot_071312_230112.jpg They never say "please"Xiun6 Jul 19, 2012
Jul 19, 2012 Frost mage armor What armor spell should a frost mage use. I don't have mage armor yet, just molten and frost. Also what armor should a fire mage use. ThanksArçhmage1 Jul 19, 2012