Mage

Oct 3, 2012 "It will all balance at 90" still broken as !@#$ its still frost bomb deep cy@ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLY762hnIsoSyfix14 Oct 3, 2012
Oct 3, 2012 Stealth Nerf??? Is anybody else having issues with DPS today? Yesterday I was proc'n hotstreak fairly regularly and was averaging around 50-60k on bosses... today, it's almost like I just hit 90 in quest greens again.Bawsed1 Oct 3, 2012
Oct 3, 2012 Dear Blizzard - Mogu'Shan Vault is Great! I just wanted to say, with all of the mage hate going around lately that we entered Mogu'shan Vaults tonight and were exceptionally pleased with the mechanics. There was a only a little bit of recycling but the newer mechanics felt really fresh. Gorajal is my favorite so far. We didn't have the liberty of testing everything in beta so just sitting in vent trying to problem solve, on the fly, as a group was fun and really brought me back to the days of raiding in vanilla. My hats off to you blizzard! Great work and I can't wait to see what's next.Gravitation1 Oct 3, 2012
Oct 3, 2012 Did frost mages lose evocate???? Or am I going insane?Burgerphlaps6 Oct 3, 2012
Oct 3, 2012 Special treatment Putting a CD on all dispels but leaving mages with spamable spellsteal that also heals now, with triple iceblock/double iceblock&cauterize. While maintaining the big bubble and strongest dots............ Loooooool Can a GM come in here and explain why that is?Daydra30 Oct 3, 2012
Oct 3, 2012 I love you guys http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p637/Cerish93/WoWScrnShot_100212_230830_zps5e740f97.jpgIllucia20 Oct 3, 2012
Oct 3, 2012 Can we expect changes to Rune talent? The game seriously got a lot more frustrating once I hit 90 and picked the PvE Rune talent, and I'm pretty sure that is the opposite of what is supposed to happen. Every single fight, I get to spend 1.5 seconds casting a buff on the ground, then I spend the next 60 seconds struggling to stay at that spot the room, fighting against mobs streaming a knockback while spinning, getting thrown up into the air, getting slime/ooze/poison/fire/magic pools getting thrown over the top of my rune, losing the ability to kite or at least step away from something whirlwinding too close to me and my personal favorite: reapplying the rune because of LOS or range. Don't even think about using the rune while floating or swimming. I can't even imagine using the Invocation talent. 6 second warmup before each pull? 6-second timeout while fighting to rebuff? God forbid you get interrupted... I don't mind things being more complicated, but these things just frustrate the crap out of me.Warpedo6 Oct 3, 2012
Oct 3, 2012 Water Elemental not Casting I have the WE glyph, he is set to assist and follow (like the glyph requires) and he does absolutely nothing. I have tried disabling all addons and he still just stands there being completely useless. Is anyone else having this issue? Has anyone else had it and fixed it? If so how?Dragonwizard9 Oct 3, 2012
Oct 3, 2012 Frost Mage and Frostfire Glyph Hi all, In most of the blogs and guides I've read, the optimal frost rotation includes frostbolts as the spammable damage dealer when standing still. However, the Frostfire glyph seems to make the Frostfire bolt a higher DPS move than frostbolt, ignoring the extra damage effect of the frostbolt. So, it seems to me that the highest DPS would come from throwing frostbolts until three stacks were achieved, then throwing frostfire bolts and our instant procs, with just enough frostbolts to keep the debuff active. However, I haven't seen this advocated. I'm wondering if it's too much of a headache, or if it's not a big enough damage increase, or if there's some other reason not to use this rotation that I haven't thought through carefully.Mercutar2 Oct 3, 2012
Oct 3, 2012 mages are lame! Anyone have fun playing at level 90 pve? Mages are so terribly lame now !Tiggerlove18 Oct 3, 2012
Oct 3, 2012 Low combustion. My combustion after my deep combo always hits very low, about 7-8k dps. I manage to get off 2 pyroblast! within 4 seconds before i combust.Marìo6 Oct 3, 2012
Oct 3, 2012 New to Mage With a brand new race, I decided to try a brand new class (for me anyways). I have leveled a mage to 20 pre-MoP and quickly got bored. Now I am trying to take it seriously. So far, I LOVE fire in PVE. I tried a BG and was quickly downed. My GM (who is a mage) told me frost was best for PVP and that's what I'd heard. So I waited for 30 and duo-ed to frost. I'm a little better, but still struggling. I'm used to PVPing as a shadow priest or balance druid so I'm used to heals. So far as a mage, I have none. Any advice? And will it get easier? I'm not too PVP-oriented as PVE has been so much fun even though I'm used to being melee. By the way, sorry if my armor's not showing. I should be wearing heirlooms that I constantly trade between characters. I logged out hastily after putting them on, so that should be the problem.Delphea9 Oct 3, 2012
Oct 3, 2012 dreadful trousers unreforgable? anyone else unable to reforge them?Moonmon1 Oct 3, 2012
Oct 3, 2012 No new summoned food? My mage who is off fighting in dangerous lands, tasks me to ask you: Isn't there a new rank of summoned food?Shoap11 Oct 3, 2012
Oct 3, 2012 Website for finding RBG teams We need more alliance, horde side is popping, Alliance side needs more people go to the following website and hope in chat to find RBG groups! http://battlemasters.orgBegus3 Oct 3, 2012
Oct 3, 2012 arcane missiles bug I'm curious if anyone else is having an issue with arcane missiles. Sometimes when I get an AM proc I hit my hot key but nothing happens. The proc animation goes away but the spell does not cast. Has anyone else had this happen?Macurie0 Oct 3, 2012
Oct 3, 2012 Blazing Speed What allows the use of blazing speed, ive been frost shocked/earth totemed and i cant use it. just wanna know what allows me to use it.Mohawkrock3 Oct 3, 2012
Oct 3, 2012 LF Priority PVP Frost stats So since Mop Came out i have not played cause I wanted to let all the lvling cool of now that I'm back. I was wondering what are the new Priority stats now for Frost. Can someone give me an idea. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough but. the site nox**c seems to be kinda off even before MoP came out. Would someone like to help me thanks.Beauttytang4 Oct 3, 2012
Oct 2, 2012 Fire vs Mage Hey guys recently the patch has been done and I thought all mages would change to fire for many reaches such as Altar time + Pyroblast or Fire with deep freeze. ALong with the 4 second freeze remove for frost (which should be used for frost imo) I assumed all mages would go fire and I heard that all mages do. But after watching the 2200+ board on wowofwowgraphs I see that 10.7% of 2200+ are frost and only 2% is fire this is a MASSIVE difference and im wondering why frost is succedding over fire with all these changes? discuss pleaseDrahmin10 Oct 2, 2012
Oct 2, 2012 Frost Mages, come hither, I have some questio So I've tried Fire and Arcane extensively, and I do pull a good 30-50K on boss fights as fire (Arcane, ehhh). But one fateful day (About 3 hours ago) I joined a heroic with a frost mage. Instantly I started seeing someone vastly outperforming me (Inb4 You suck). On the first boss I did everything I could (As fire, which he later told me on simcraft is the worst of the specs we have currently) to perform as optimally as I knew how (Yes yes I know you can pick that apart) and still lost by about 10-15K DPS. He was slightly more geared than me, but still, on a tank and spank boss he beat me. What is it about Frost that makes it better than the other specs? Or if you don't believe it is, what did they change this expansion to make it on-par / perhaps even better than the others? What changed? I remember back in naxx in wotlk they flirted with the idea of allowing shatter to affect bosses, but never went through with it. What really changed it? Also, on a side note... Can you give me your rotation? >.> I mean, I really don't need it, I hit the dummy with everything I had and pulled 47K DPS without bloodlust, so clearly hitting anything and everything works too, but i'd like to act like I somewhat know what i'm doing for my raid tomorrow. TL;DR - What changed that made frost so PVE Viable and what is your rotation?Cryostasis11 Oct 2, 2012
Oct 2, 2012 Is my Nether Tempest suppose to attack me? It seems that if Nether Tempest is dealing damage to a secondary target like it decides to lay the smack down on a critter after that target dies the Nether Tempest starts attacking me instead.Astriel18 Oct 2, 2012
Oct 2, 2012 What is now considered a good combustion tick Im referrig to the actual dot put on the target that if moused over, show you how much damage per secondTalonstryke10 Oct 2, 2012
Oct 2, 2012 Tier 13 and the legendary When is everyone getting rid of their heroic tier from DS and getting rid of the legendary?Taluun5 Oct 2, 2012
Oct 2, 2012 where should i start gearing out? i cant go into heroics yet so where should i start gearing up to get into heroics?Babojjang4 Oct 2, 2012
Oct 2, 2012 Mage Mana Regen Broken I believe that mana regen between specs is very much broken right now. After procs on present gear (my Fire spec gear presently), I was having as much 14K mana regen in combat. I could just sit there on the dummies and spam Fireball and Pyroblast and not go under 95K (most of the time I never left 100K) mana in Fire spec the entire time. I wanted to test this out on Arcane, so I switched over to my main spec. It was like night and day. Arcane was barely pushing out 12K mana regen after procs and mana was disappearing a whole lot faster in the same gear (and that was using the new rotation). I don't understand why the mana regen amount changed between specs. It should have been the same, since I had the same gear on. This really needs to be worked on, b/c it deffinitely presents Fire (and prob frost too) with a deffinite unfair advantage as far as game design is concerned.Tzarrus59 Oct 2, 2012
Oct 2, 2012 All mage classes too OP IM in WSG right now allu mage 7-0 2 mil damage all he is doing is ring of frosting and edvocation so mages get a heal now????? and then deep freeze and frostbolt spam 40-80k hitsTópshóck4 Oct 2, 2012
Oct 2, 2012 Cutting the fat on frost mage In my opinion it would be beneficial for the frost mage spec as a whole to cut the fat we are carrying around, or rather, the water elemental, the only reason that you should be using it if you understand its mechanics is for the free fingers of frost it provides with freeze, its dps is just a passive thing, and who on this earth wants passive dps like that. In any practical circumstance it's also incredibly annoying, all it does most of the time is again, provide you with free fingers of frost procs with its freeze ability, and take up realestate on your screen. In general i believe it would be better, if we had a glyph, or there was just a general move to remove the frost elemental, give the player that freeze ability in the form it is currently in, so that it can be used while casting and doesn't have a global cool down, and you just passively buff the damage done by the mage by whatever the pet used to do. That way we can remove the need to have to worry about whether your pet is running after some random mob that has nothing to do with you, or wasting a global cooldown on a fight and the cast time on summoning your pet after you've jumped down a ledge so that it doesn't pull half the room. please Blizzard, if you read this, at least take what i say into considerationBlâderunner18 Oct 2, 2012
Oct 2, 2012 Glyph of Fireblast not working? It only seems to be triggering Frost Bomb *maybe* 10% of the time. I mean it still ends up going off after timer runs out, but what's the point in using the glyph if it's not going to work. I would say that it seems to work with living bomb 100%Phroste8 Oct 2, 2012
Oct 2, 2012 Race change? Hello Forums, I have had this character since prebc. I have always thought the character and the name is very unique and I still believe it is damn unique. And then..... MoP releases My nick name is panda, and I love pandas. I don't know what to do here. Should I stay gnome or should I go panda.. one ability I will miss the most is Escape Artist which is awesome in pvp. Do any of y'all wanna change your race to pandaren? Or you happy with where you are at? Pinklord out, thanks for readingPinklord7 Oct 2, 2012
Oct 2, 2012 Invocation seem counter-intuitive,or is it me It is awkward to say the least, when not to invocate... It is frusterating because all I feel like I am doing is spamming it. Wouldn't be so bad if it was on a 2min timer. Sorry for the QQ I just needed to vent :(Ryros9 Oct 2, 2012
Oct 2, 2012 Water Elemental's Bubbling Noise is oddly soothing .Zepla3 Oct 2, 2012
Oct 2, 2012 Pandaria Teleport I brought it.. but I didnt recieve it... as a spellDrahmin2 Oct 2, 2012
Oct 2, 2012 [MoP] Which gems you choosing? Thoughts. Ideas?Hardrock6 Oct 2, 2012
Oct 2, 2012 How much crit/haste for frost mage? What are the soft caps on these? I remember seeing crit was something like 26.5% or there abouts, and I'm not sure when haste stops being better than mastery. Thanks. Also, what are the hit caps for heroics and raids now? Have they changed with MoP?Zoom4 Oct 2, 2012
Oct 2, 2012 Average dps? What is everyones average dps and with what Ilvl/spec?Kenpachï13 Oct 2, 2012
Oct 2, 2012 Spell Steal Has anyone found any buffs on mobs that are spell stealable in MOP. In dungeons or on mobs running around in the world? I thought it would be interesting combined with alter time but i have not found a single MOB that has any buffs that are stealable.Nocternus5 Oct 2, 2012
Oct 2, 2012 Level 90 Fire Mage PvP Stat Priority? Note: Please do not discuss PvE here. This is purely for level 90 Fire mage PvP. Does anyone know what the level 90 stat priority is for level 90 Fire spec PvP? Or perhaps a source for a more detailed discussion of this? Thank you.Eluss3 Oct 2, 2012
Oct 2, 2012 Your feedback on MoP Mages Besides the level 90 talent points, since it seems everyone hates it, what are your thoughts on the Mage class in MoP. PvE and PvP, spec, ect.Jshadows23 Oct 2, 2012
Oct 2, 2012 Rotation hey guys im having a problem with my rotation i don't know what spell to start with its fire btw and are mages really weak i mean for damage because i don't seem to do that much + what stat do we use now becuase before i used just crit.Dynastydelta4 Oct 2, 2012
Oct 2, 2012 Ice Barrier + IW Do they stack together? and does IW have priorty over Ice Barrier when used together? (I.E) I have both up and take a hit, will I get the 30% Spell Damage Buff or will IB go first. Sorry just trying to think of postive ways to use this as the other two feel to clunky for me to use as i'm always on the move lol. Postive constructive thoughts welcome! :DJusty1 Oct 2, 2012
Oct 2, 2012 My proposed 90 talents (discussion) Personally, I would like to see the 90 talents take on what feels more... Mage like. Of course keeping to our traditional fire, frost, and arcane specs and getting some sort of a damage boost from them. I have several ideas for each so let me know what you think. [Wisdom of the Ancients]: Instant cast You channel the knowledge of all magi who came before you, granting increased abilities based on your specialization lasting 20 seconds. Frost - Your frost spells shatter on impact, causing 50% damage to all enemies within 10 yards. (alternate: frost spells chill your targets every muscle on impact, causing them to act as if the target were frozen for 10 seconds and deal 10% more damage) Fire - Your fire spells burn with continually increasing heat, causing targets affected by your fire dots to take 10% increased damage stacking up to 5 times. Arcane - You master the power of time, causing your arcane spells to ignore channel and cast times allowing them to instant cast. [Copy Cat]: Causes your mirror image spell to instead create a single clone of the caster with 50% health. the clone acts as a pet and will cast copies of its masters abilites dealing 40% damage/lasting 40% of the duration. [Mana Bolt]: 4 second cast; The mage channels all remaining mana into a single bolt of magical energy dealing damage equal to 200% of the mana cost. 5 min cooldownAshniear4 Oct 2, 2012
Oct 2, 2012 Arcane symbiosis and Level 90 Talents Edit: I edited the title as this is not just about Arcane's symbiosis with the talents, but also the general dislike of the Level 90 Talents. Before flaming me, hear me out. Both Fire and Frost has proccs or other things that make them symbiotic with certain talent choices. I'll even list them out: Scorch (Tier 1) Fire: Besides your choice of Mage Bomb or a Hot Streaked Pyroblast, Fire has no instant casts nor mobile choices. In addition to filling your mobile rotation, Scorch has a 1.5x multiplier on its crit chance, can procc Heating Up/Hot Streak, AND adds Ignite! Frost: While Scorch isn't nearly as powerful for Frost as it is Fire, it's still a nice choice on mobile fights. It allows you to continue a rotation while moving when you have no BF or FoF proccs up, and you can't Pet Freeze or Frozen Orb, because Scorch itself proccs FoF proccs. Arcane: Scorch has 0 additional benefits besides being a mobile spell. Arcane's Arcane Barrage is a 3s cooldown and is usually used during moments of moving (unless you know your charges won't expire). While Scorch does procc Arcane Missiles, every other spell that does damage does as well, so it provides no benefits over using, say, Arcane Explosion, other than being a spammable cast spell. Tiers 2, 3, and 4 aren't symbiotic with one specc more than another as they are all situational/survival. Mage Bomb (Tier 5) Fire: While Fire doesn't directly benefit from Tier 5 over Arcane, it does benefit in a way in its rotation... If you glyph it, that is. Inferno Blast (aka Fire specced Fire Blast) when glyphed will make your Nether Tempest do a 50% damage AoE to ALL mobs around the IB'd target, spread Living Bomb to two additional targets (while still spreading Pyroblast (DoT), Ignite, and Combustion), and make Frost Bomb instantly explode. While both Frost and Arcane can do this, that requires the waste of a GCD while Fire uses IB in its actual rotation. Not to mention, Fire has little to no choices in Major Glyphs, making this a superb choice, especially when there are adds or AoE needed. Frost: Any choice of Mage Bomb will greatly affect Frost as not only does it add sustained damage to one of the 'burstiest' speccs in the game, but it also proccs Brain Freeze, allowing for a free, instant, and 'considers-the-target-frozen' Frostfire Bolt. Arcane: Other than the damage the bombs deal and the chance to procc AM (Like every other spell in the game), Mage Bombs have no additional benefits to Arcane. Mage Power (Tier 6) Fire and Frost: Both Fire and Frost have zero mana issues, because they aren't intended to. The only issue you'll ever run into with mana is when you use Invocation (it halves your mana regen), but you're intended to use Evocate in your rotation with it (to get the damage boost); in later tiers when we collect more gear (specifically higher levels of Haste), our MP5 will go up (since it scales with Haste), so even when we DO choose Invocation (especially as Frost, when paired with Frost Armor's 7% Haste), there won't be any issues anyways. All three choices simply beef up your damage. Arcane: Here's where things get ugly. Arcane's Mastery, Mana Adept, makes the Mage do more damage the more mana they have. Looking at Tier 6, ALL THREE TALENT CHOICES AFFECT HOW YOU REGENERATE MANA. That alone should raise a red flag in your brains, and if it doesn't, here's why: No matter what you choose, as Arcane, you'll be restricted in one way or another. - Invocation: Quite possibly the worst choice overall for the Mana dependent specc. It halves your MP5 (which immediately is a giant DPS loss), but allows you to use Evocation more frequently (also a giant DPS loss). The only time this would ever be a wise choice for Arcane is if a fight like Spine of Deathwing makes a comeback (and we all know how well that fight went...) - Rune of Power: Probably the best choice, but still a poor talent overall for Arcane (like the other two). Not even going into the whole "forces you to stand still" and "needing to recast it" issues, it REPLACES evocation completely! Should you die or dip too low in your mana, there's nothing you can do to benefit much from your Mastery. Should you die as Fire or Frost, your MP5 will be too high to even matter from coming back with 20% mana. - Incanter's Ward: The situational choice of the three, and personally my favorite, but still lacking in ways for Arcane. It has a passive effect of 65% mana regen and 6% damage, but if you use it, it will put a (fairly weak) shield on you that gives you mana as it absorbs damage and up to a 20% damage boost if it breaks (on top of the 10% damage it would give if you take 0 damage, making a maximum of 30% and a minimum of 10%). Also while on cooldown, you lose the passive effects. This basically gives you a tough decision during the entirety of every fight (while watching mechanics, moving out of fire/stuff, and doing your rotation): To use, or not to use? Losing the 65% MP5 is definitely NOT worth the extra 4% damage you'd get if your shield takes no damage, so the shield is generally used best if there is something you can intentionally stand in, such as fire, to break the shield. A mechanic where we're EXPECTED to stand in bad fire? It just feels counter-intuitive. All in all, Arcane not only gets no additional benefits from Scorch and the Mage Bomb, but ANY choice you choose in Tier 6 will simply restrict Arcane's playstyle while doing nothing but boosting Fire/Frost and giving them more choices (such as a nice heal from Invocation, in addition to the damage boosts of all 3 choices). While I don't have any suggestions, I'm simply trying to make people (and the developers, hopefully) aware of the problem Arcane has with the talents (most specifically, Tier 6).Pewpewblast22 Oct 2, 2012
Oct 2, 2012 Lvl 90 pyroblast guys at lvl 90 how much is non crit pyros hitting for????Stoogotz4 Oct 2, 2012
Oct 2, 2012 Race Change to Panda? ATM I am a gnome mage and I hate how I look on the character Screen................Go Panda?Noçturnal24 Oct 2, 2012
Oct 2, 2012 Frost mage DPS According to a few group I've ran with, my dps sucks. I've played as a frost mage since vanilla and I haven't played since the beginning of wotlk so im not sure what the norm for frost dps is. The groups I've been with say I do around 30k dps, so is that about right with my set up? http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/mannoroth/Carbon/simple or am I doing something else wrong? Thanks!Carbon11 Oct 2, 2012
Oct 2, 2012 Fireball vs. Scorch + Inferno Blast Issue I'm increasingly running into an odd problem with Fireball and Inferno Blast since this patch, it may have occurred in Cataclysm, but I don't recall. The issue is where Fireball will hit a target before Inferno Blast hits them, even with the travel time. Strangely, even though Scorch has no travel time, if I cast Inferno Blast right after a Scorch, Inferno Blast makes contact first 100% of the time. I'll try and list out some examples to help this make sense. I cast Fireball on a target and get a crit. Naturally I want to cast Inferno Blast next to get my Hot Streak proc. So I do. No problems. I cast Fireball on a target and get a crit. Right after the cast, before realizing I have a crit I'm already casting a Fireball (what you should be doing 99% of the time). I want to cast Inferno Blast right as my second Fireball cast is over in order to get the Hot Streak proc. I cast Inferno Blast right as my second Fireball finishes. Fireball somehow makes contact first, and doesn't crit. Directly after that Inferno Blast hits and I get a Heating Up proc wasting my Inferno Blast. On the flip side, if I replace Fireball with Scorch I get the Inferno Blast off first 100% of the time. I'll note that this only happens when I'm somewhat close to a target, it's still a strange issue where the Inferno Blast should hit first due to even a minimal amount of travel time for the Fireball. I don't have specific distances worked out, if anyone's interested I can test it later and post results. Is anyone else running into this issue?Kissybear3 Oct 2, 2012
Oct 2, 2012 Help with pyro proc macro?! For PVP i want to make a macro that pretty much. /cast Inferno Blast /cast Pyroblast (BUT ONLY IF HAVE DOUBLE CRIT PROC, otherwise does nothing) I've tried a few things and looked around but havnt found anything for that? Help?Jink6 Oct 2, 2012
Oct 2, 2012 another lvl90 mage talent thread they suck...end of story and in order to compete with other classes (at least at this geat lvl) the damage buffs have to be up 100% of the time....just suxAlph0 Oct 2, 2012
Oct 2, 2012 Alter Time/POM Bug Someone posted about a bug in which a cast-time spell in progress when Alter Time restores a POM buff would consume the buff. Sadly, the search function has let me down and it doesn't seem to be in the recent Alter Time threads. Just posted to say it's being looked at. ________________________________________________ Find answers to questions about Mage mechanics in Lhivera’s Compendium • http://lhiveras-library.com/compendiumLhivera0 Oct 2, 2012
Oct 2, 2012 Sticky Cleanup I'm preparing a request to have old stickies (including my own) removed. At first glance, it looks like they all should go. Does anyone have a good reason to preserve any of them? ETA: Exception, maybe the PvP Macro sticky should stay? ________________________________________________ Find answers to questions about Mage mechanics in Lhivera’s Compendium • http://lhiveras-library.com/compendiumLhivera11 Oct 2, 2012