Mage

Oct 16, 2012 Noob mage here. So "Remove Curse" does not work for myself?Newness5 Oct 16, 2012
Oct 16, 2012 Does IW show a buff when activated? What I mean is. From what I got to see, if you pop it then it shows an icon for what 8 seconds? Does it show anything at all that lets you know thr shield was broken and your getting the extra damage buff? With ice barrier up I can never tell if it actually got broke. Seems I pop it and hope I'll get it with no way to know if I did or not. Unless I'm missing somethingGeekosauve3 Oct 16, 2012
Oct 16, 2012 Bug? Alter Time and Cauterized debuff I have 75% remaining health, cast Alter Time, take a ton of damage over 3 seconds and Cauterize procs. Cauterize brings me to 50% health. I cast Alter Time and return to 75% health but keep the Cauterized debuff.Emeka1 Oct 16, 2012
Oct 16, 2012 Useful "PvP" mechanics in PvE I'd like to start a thread for the purpose of having those "Oh yeah! That's awesome!" moments in times you wouldn't think or remember them to be doable, and just compile a list of them. There are some common ones, like spellstealing special buffs off of monsters (anyone remember Blazing Haste from ZA?), and some uncommon ones, such as chain-freezing non-DR enemies. I'd like to hear what you guys have found in moments of PvE (Dungeons, Raids, even soloing provided it's not blatantly obvious) where you used some "PvP" mechanics. I already mentioned chain-freezing, but with Ice Ward/RoF, Pet Freeze (if Frost, or Dragon's Breath if Fire), and Frost Nova (and CoC if you need a slow afterwards), you can lock out some mobs completely, or make your raid avoid some crazy amounts of damage. Maloriak (Cata - BWD) - Most people probably know about the Aberration minions on the Maloriak encounter; with our extra freezes, these annoying buggers can pretty much be tanked by a Mage nowadays! Spiritbinder (MoP - MSV) - If you go into the spirit world, all the adds are freezable (and IIRC, DEEP Freezable). This should let you snipe one of those that never spawn with the rest of the pack, even if you're not Frost, or get a nice Fireball crit for a Heating Up (or a crit-barrage on Arcane Barrage if they're all fairly close). You could also try Frostjaw for an extra interrupt/silence, as well as a ranged freeze (especially if you're not frost) Elegon (MoP - MSV) - The adds on Elegon hurt pretty bad, but are also freezeable! If your groups come together, you can freeze them all, and ranged-AoE to get them dead safely, saving your healers' precious mana. - Another tactic is to get Ice Ward and put it on a target that the enemies always seem to hit (that healer who somehow gets more aggro than the others or that DPS who forgets to wait for aggro). - A final tactic for the Elegon adds is to use your freezes offensively (extremely suggesting Frost specc for this). Throw a Frozen Orb (and Frost Bomb if you chose FB), then Frost Nova, and blizzard or IL spam a bit. Refresh Blizzard and use your Pet Freeze. [Refresh FB if needed] Use your last freeze (Ice Ward on a tank/RoF) and quickly blizzard again. By this point, most of the enemies will/should be dead. TBH, I didn't even think about bothering with my T3 talent until about an hour after our raid ended. While I know these shatter/freeze mechanics are sometimes obvious (sometimes not), that's all I got for now. Anyone got even better ones? I know I only posted raids, but feel free to do dungeon ones too! (Though freezing stuff is fairly obvious in dungeons)Pewpewblast1 Oct 16, 2012
Oct 16, 2012 Warrior/Feral Druids/Hunters Am I alone or it is exceedingly difficult to keep these three classes off you? Obviously hunters would be difficult because they are ranged and no longer have the minimal range factor, however nothing I do seems to suffice in maintaining any kind of feasible distance from Feral Druids or Warriors. Any tips?Phenominon8 Oct 16, 2012
Oct 16, 2012 I never drink for mana? I must be doing something wrong. I never have to drink to regain mana. This mage and my 85 mage. I dont even use invocation. I'm also at the top in DPS, but feel it should be far more. I guess its a good thing since Arcane requires more mana to benefit from mastery, but it just doesnt feel right. Am I missing something? Should I drink for mana even if I'm not level capped?Muofa12 Oct 16, 2012
Oct 16, 2012 LF Addon for lvl 90 Mage Talents I typically use Mage Nuggets or ClassTimer in order to manage the various dots and class buffs in my UI, but neither of these addons seem to support tracking of the evocation buff or rune of power. Does anyone have any recommendations?Zedickus17 Oct 16, 2012
Oct 16, 2012 Mage vs Warlock What is the best stratigy when facing a warlock in PVP. Most Warlocks I run into are not very good and can be taken easily... but when I run into one that knows his %!#@.... well the fight is really a struggle for me. I really hate their self healing... Makes it really hard to kill the bastards. Anyways looking for some advice here. Thanks! I run PVP frost and Fire specs.Landus3 Oct 16, 2012
Oct 16, 2012 Where are the portals? I just recently created this Mage and have unlocked a teleport and portal to my racial city...but no where else. Do mages get those portals at later levels, is there a trainer, please help this noob Mage out, ThanksCasamayor1 Oct 16, 2012
Oct 16, 2012 Where are the items at? Back on the forums whining again. I don't know if this is just me but part of the reason why i went pvp is because of the easy access to some good gear. The only thing lacking from the dreadful gladiators arsenal is the weapons. The point of all of this information is I cannot seem to get anything from the pve dungeons. I have no clue how many times I've done them. All I'm trying to do is replace my off-hand. Or just get a 2-handed staff. But it seems that these items never drop. Is anyone else having a hard time getting their mage geared for whatever their goals may be?Aroddoric1 Oct 16, 2012
Oct 16, 2012 Arcane PvE Glyphs? I was wondering which glyphs would be the most useful for an arcane mage? I was thinking for major Glyph of Arcane Explosion and/or Glyph of Fire Blast . As for minor, I have no clue. So, what's your opinion? Any input is appreciated,, thank you!Ollivardo5 Oct 16, 2012
Oct 16, 2012 PvP stats I'm trying to gear for Pvp and have been looking at some the top top players in arenas right now and i'm not understanding why most of what I've read has said stack crit then mastery. However these players don't seem to be stacking crit at all just mastery. If anyone could give me some guidance that would be great. *Edit- Frost spec mageFlakaa9 Oct 16, 2012
Oct 16, 2012 Arcane or Fire? PvE Not PvP Just wondering which one pulls higher number's, im currently a Fire-Mage for PvE.Snøwblind18 Oct 16, 2012
Oct 16, 2012 is fire arena viable? I can't stand frost so I've been playing fire since the new talents...just dinged 90 and wanted to make sure fire is viable in arenas. If so...anyone got a good spec/gear stat I can look at on armory?Cowboydav16 Oct 16, 2012
Oct 16, 2012 A plea for design elegance I'm going to state my thoughts about how the design of the mage class is messy right now, why, and how it removes so much of the fun we have when we play our class. This was going to be a reply to another post, but I now think that the subject is way too important to be just that. I'll focus the way that each specialization deals damage. First of all, I'll state that, by pleading for design elegance, I'm asking for each spec to have rotations that are focused on what makes that spec so special in battle to the point of being actively sought by the players, which I'll call the spec's virtue. The virtues I perceived to be consistent along the expansions in each spec are: Arcane: the ability to produce very high dps through higher mana consumption (Arcane Blast, Arcane Power) Fire: innate high crit modifier (Pyroblast and Combustion rework from Cata) Frost: the ability crit more often through Shatter (Water Elemental, Ice Lance, Deep Freeze in pvp since Wrath, Fingers of Frost) , and they are what makes the mage class fun on the mechanic side. However, I see many skills in the class that have elements that distract the player from these virtues. The most general of these elements are the last two talent tiers, the Mage Bomb and the lvl 90 talents, and the specific ones are concentrated in the Arcane spec, which deserves a separated post to explain them (though not exclusive of, Fire and Frost have their own as well). For now, let's focus on the two talent tiers. The Mage Bomb tier is probably focused on providing a competitive way to deal good AoE for all mages specs even in situations where single-target rotations are expected; this focus is ok for overall class balance, but the current implementation has the vice of competing with the focus of the spec for the player's attention. The bombs are mandatory in the rotation for competitive dps and don't help any of the above spec virtues. This is unlike the current design of Inferno Blast, which allows Fire to translate Pyroblast and Combustion mechanics into a AoE crit damage, and unlike the choice between Presence of Mind and Ice Floes, both of which focus on enhancing the mobility of the spec rotation instead of interfering in the rotation to add something mobile. Were the bombs passives that give the spells we use in our rotations a chance to deal AoE in different ways when we achieve the spec focus (ex: for Pyro/FoF/BF/AB at max Arcane Charge, one talent that adds a small % splash damage, one that adds a chance to cast an automatic Arcane Explosion/Flamestrike/Frost-Bomb-detonation on the target and one that adds a Nether Tempest without the damage on the primary target), we would probably see less complaints about DoTs in Arcane and Frost; even in Fire, the way dots work now are more as a way to improve crits in total damage and AoE capability than as how the spec builds its damage (and which concerns me with the Combustion modifications to interact with Ignite only in 5.1). In the lvl 90 talents, we see the intent to tie mana regeneration with damage. The general problem (specific spec problems will be discussed later) is that they force themselves into the spec rotation without boosting the spec virtue. This goes even for Arcane, as the mana boost of these talents isn't improving the choice to spend mana to produce astounishing dps. They are instead forcing Arcane to stay on a higher number of Arcane Charges to do competitive dps (more on it later). Also, for all specs, the talents are tying damage with mana regen by forcing us to use a mana regeneration spell despite the actual need to regain mana and without making mana matter for damage (Arcane does it with its mechanics, not with the talents), which adds the feeling of being distracted from what really matters. There's another major issue with them as well in that they tie movement constrain with damage, adding another distraction from the spec's focus. Suddenly, bad positioning competes a lot with the spec for our attention. I hope my plea is listened. While we accept that we can't pull those virtues without restrictions (in fact, we want them to be a small challenge for our skill, otherwise it loses the fun), it is disruptive to our fun when hindrances are imposed by mechanics unrelated to them and to what we aren't supposed to fight.Aowyn5 Oct 16, 2012
Oct 15, 2012 Mage Rotations I am just curious on people's opinion on what rotation (spells) they use for dungeons / questing. Around lvl 30-40. Thanks for your input.Kerattao3 Oct 15, 2012
Oct 15, 2012 Haste vs Crit Fire mage so i researched the idea and got a few varying comments so i am coming to the forums. Obviously Crit is the major stat behing hit cap and int, but at what point should i reforge out of crit into haste? At this early stage do i want to shoot for the 10% haste, 12.5%, or 15% haste on my fire mage (with raid buffs)? Or should i hit the 10% haste then reforge into mastery?Insáne20 Oct 15, 2012
Oct 15, 2012 Best leveling spec 85-90? Which did you think was the fastest?Westey2 Oct 15, 2012
Oct 15, 2012 @Lhivera Since you are the frostiest mage and have the most experience with raw data and number crunchin', I would like to know if you ever change your frost spec? If you were to play some PVP, 2v2, 3v3 and BG's can I ask what talent spec and Glyphs you would use?Jamdór6 Oct 15, 2012
Oct 15, 2012 Why change the way the pvp icon functioned? I have no clue where to post this so I'm gonna post this on the mage forums. I know this is just me but I hate the way the pvp icon next to the mini map functions. Before this expansion, when you left-clicked on the icon it would pull up the scoreboard. if you wanted to exit the match all you had to do is right-click the icon and select to leave the battleground. Now left-clicking and right-clicking both function the same way. I'm only whining about this cause I've accidentally left a match a few times and its very frustrating. I wish the icon functioned the way it did in cataclysm.Aroddoric3 Oct 15, 2012
Oct 15, 2012 Simple question. Do we get anything for reporting bugs? and i dont mean just some mumbo jumbo rumor i mean a real bug. Is there any reward for that?Ashniear5 Oct 15, 2012
Oct 15, 2012 Staff hate, Blizzard? I've noticed there aren't a lot of epic staffs in the game for casters as of late. Stat-wise, 1-hand plus offhand is better but aesthetically, I definitely prefer having a staff on my back. Am I in the minority?Beaumagnus6 Oct 15, 2012
Oct 15, 2012 Spreading LB Mostly for trash, do you hit one target with LB then fb till heat up, and spread after combust or do you always manually LB three targets right from the beginning THEN go into your dps rotation?Geekosauve12 Oct 15, 2012
Oct 15, 2012 MoP Mage PvE Gear Guide Listed below are the iLevel 489 pieces available for Mages. They are obtained from: boss drops in Mogu'shan Vaults rep with The Klaxxi, Golden Lotus, Shado-Pan, and The August Celestials: purchased with Valor Points at Honored and Revered Ring quest reward from 'Shadow of the Empire' (at Exalted with The Klaxxi) Chest quest reward from 'The Final Power' (at Exalted with Golden Lotus) These pieces (and their heroic versions) constitute the majority of the best currently-available gear. See the link at the end of this post for a list of all gear available at all levels, including: iLevel 496 Tier Hands and Legs from Sha of Anger iLevel 496 gear from Galleon iLevel 463 – 476 items from Heroics and other Pre-Raid Sources If you find this info and format helpful, please request Sticky status for this thread – thank you. (If there's enough interest, this will be replaced with 496 gear when Heart of Fear & Terrace of Endless Spring are released.) ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Head Emperor hit / haste Hood of Focused Energy -valor- hit / crit Firecracker Corona Neck Feng hit / crit Amulet of Seven Curses Emperor crit / haste Worldwaker Cachabon -quest- hit / crit Burning Necklace of the Golden Lotus -valor- hit / mastery Wire of the Wakener Shoulder Gara'jal crit / haste Shadowsummoner Spaulders -valor- hit / crit Mantle of the Golden Sun Back Spirit Kings crit / mastery Mindshard Drape -valor- hit / mastery Cloak of Snow Blossoms Chest Feng crit / mastery Imperial Ghostbinder's Robes -valor- hit / haste Vestments of Thundering Skies Wrist -valor- hit / mastery Minh's Beaten Bracers Hands Stone Guard crit / mastery Claws of Amethyst Spirit Kings haste / mastery Undying Shadow Grips -valor- hit / crit Sunspeaker's Flared Gloves Waist Stone Guard hit / mastery Ruby-Linked Girdle Elegon haste / mastery Orbital Belt -valor- hit / crit Klaxxi Lash of the Orator Legs -valor- hit / crit Leggings of the Poisoned Soul Feet -valor- hit / crit Void Flame Slippers Ring -quest- hit / mastery Seal of the Lucid -valor- hit / haste Simple Harmonius Ring Trinket Elegon dots proc int Light of the Cosmos trash crit use Jade Magistrate Figurine -valor- crit use Blossom of Pure Snow Two-Hand --- none --- Main Hand Elegon crit / haste Torch of the Celestial Spark Off Hand --- none --- ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ For complete gear tables for all classes and item levels, see the MoP PvE Gear Guide on Wowhead: http://www.wowhead.com/guide=1240/mop-pve-gear-guideHhalle5 Oct 15, 2012
Oct 15, 2012 Weird bug with water elemental I've run into a strange bug with my water elemental, and I was just wondering if anyone has encountered the same thing. It's pretty simple, really - my pet doesn't attack anything. At all. Sometimes I see the 'Attack' button flash if I manually click on it, but it just sort of sits there doing nothing. Someone in my guild asked if maybe he's really attacking and the animations just aren't showing, but I don't think so...none of the mobs seem to be taking extra damage and nothing happens to them if I hit its Attack button without doing anything myself. Actually, I'm not even sure it's water elemental-specific, since I tested it out with that klaxxi buff where you can mind control a mob to make it your minion for a while. Turns out the minion doesn't do anything either. I've already tried deleting the Interface, WTF and Cache folders, etc. I'm pretty sure that I'm going to have to wait for the next patch/hotfix but I was wondering if other people were having similar problems - the more issues people are encountering, the sooner they'll get addressed (I hope)Proginosko1 Oct 15, 2012
Oct 15, 2012 @ FAXMONKEY Are you doing PVP, 2v2, 3v3 the same spec as you do PVE?Jamdór0 Oct 15, 2012
Oct 15, 2012 Spellsteal Why do we even have this spell still? Seem nothing it really worth taking and what little we can spell steal in raids you go and remove it. ... Just remove it and give us a dispel instead and there no more need to hot fix every OP magic buff in the game.Rayo25 Oct 15, 2012
Oct 15, 2012 Tips for soloing The Eye? So I'm trying to solo Kael for the phoenix mount. I can get through the first two phases easily, because they're cake, but when all four of his generals are up at once I am almost never in control of my character. I am either conflagged, feared or stunned, and if I can occasionally move, I'm almost always silenced then. I have tried popping my mirrors at the beginning of the phase, but they still CC the !@#$ out of my before they go to attack my mirrors. I'm doing this as frost, but I suppose I could switch to another spec if necessary. I know this is possible. I am...open to suggestions.Drazana8 Oct 15, 2012
Oct 15, 2012 Dumb math question I should know this... ...but what's the formula for figuring out when a dot will tick one more time >.> and is there a special rule for combustion? Note: I am not looking for the breakpoints, I want to know the math to finding those breakpoints.Ghobe2 Oct 15, 2012
Oct 15, 2012 Glyph of illusion. Please remove the 30 minute cooldown on this. :( It's the most fun glyph ive encountered in a while, and i don't get to use it much.Limbwarr12 Oct 15, 2012
Oct 15, 2012 dps feedback whats your total dps in heroics? I have been having an awful time so far with dps. between fighting with the 90 talent and just plain trying to get my rotation down, im anywhere from mid 20k to mid 30k depending on the heroic with my current gear. I dont know. maybe the mage just isnt for me. seems other classes i get grouped with are light years ahead in terms of dps. Im trying honestly, but i just dont seem to be able to get it downFireinice8 Oct 15, 2012
Oct 15, 2012 Why is Rune of Power so weak? Haven't been a 90 for very long so I'm sorry if I'm restating the obvious. It seems to me that Rune of Power is noticeably underpowered in comparison to Invocation and I was trying to figure out what the rationale is... For the sake of simplicity, I'm going to ignore Haste for these calculations. I don't think they'd change the outcome much. Rune of Power gives a 15% buff (the lowest of the 3) and also limits mobility the most. Assuming you cast only 1, you do get 58.5 full seconds of us for each minute making it pretty efficient if you don't have to move AT ALL. Still, (58.5 / 60) * 15% = 14,6% damage increase in optimal situation. Compare this with Invocation. For 6 seconds of downtime out of every 40 seconds, you get a 25% damage buff. I calculate that as (34 / 40) * 25% = 21.3% damage increase in optimal situation... a significant jump. Considering Rune of Power limits mobility completely (Invocation allows you to go wherever you want while you're not using Evocation) and slows your healing to a steady trickle, it makes no sense for the damage buff to be only 15%. Personally, I think the damage bonus for Rune of Power should be 25%. This would give it a slight edge in Patchwerk fights, but most fights require movement and even if the runes were given a larger radius, you can almost never stand on one for a minute straight. Finally, I deliberately left out Incanter's Ward. It probably needs a slight buff, too, but since it offers the best mobility AND the highest potential damage buff, it's harder to make a case against it.Beaumagnus8 Oct 15, 2012
Oct 15, 2012 Help! What is the ideal level of DPS to start raiding at? I'm currently at about 50k on most heroic bosses and..it feels low, because that's what I did in Dragon soul. For the most part I'm in 463 gear.Syssari1 Oct 15, 2012
Oct 15, 2012 Is fire just a bit broken? I know this particular toon isn't level 90, but I was just sitting here on a level 79 doing 13k DPS on the middle target dummy with some cleave from living bomb. I feel like the low end of fire is too low and the high end is too high. Crit is exponentially increasing damage. If I took off the cleave it would be around 7k. I've been running around battlegrounds in God mode, and this is my third toon I've done that with. Basically, this one goes way beyond my other toons. I just run into a crowd then 2 and 3 shot (one shot every now and then) everyone in the crowd. I think this is is more of an issue of making fire scale more reasonably. My solution would be to give fire more base crit, but lower scaling. Again, I do take it with a grain of salt since this toon isn't 90 yet.Krenfused3 Oct 15, 2012
Oct 15, 2012 I love u guys p2 Srsly, Xuin, JK (i hate u sumtimes), lgfismagic, pepp, Lynox, LHIVERA Amg, ur guys are cool. This threat mage need more mage awesome, u guys are aawemginIncendium24 Oct 15, 2012
Oct 14, 2012 pvp frost which armor do you use? I can't decide between mage and frost armorVirison3 Oct 14, 2012
Oct 14, 2012 If mages are so OP... What do we hard counter?Wretchd33 Oct 14, 2012
Oct 14, 2012 Does polymorph fade when you leave the area? Title explains itself. I noticed while mining that if I poly a mob or an alliance that after I mine and leave the cool down leaves and if I like come back the thing i poly'd was not poly'd for the entire 50 seconds. Can anyone answer this and more importantly why?Kayal3 Oct 14, 2012
Oct 14, 2012 Best weapon and class 4 a mage I just started my first mage, and was wondering what would be a good weapon for one. also, i was curious for a good spec. Thanks for any help!Yisung3 Oct 14, 2012
Oct 14, 2012 Missing a portal? I recently just hit 90 and I went ahead and bought the teleport spell for the Vale of Eternal Blossoms. Now when I go to look for said portal, it is nowhere in my spellbook or in the portal menu on my spellbar. Is this just me or where is the spell at?Thio4 Oct 14, 2012
Oct 14, 2012 Spec for Will Of The Emperor Fight (+Tips) Do you have any tips for doing the Will of the Emperor Fight as a mage? There's so much target switching, and living bombing everything just seems wrong. Should I go against the grain and go arcane for this fight? The Utility and control of frost seems helpful but I feel that with both frost and fire my DPS would be pitiful in comparison to classes like a lock and a SPRIEST (Although let's be honest, am I really to compete with them on a fight like this?) Any comments on this fight at all is helpful. Tips, spec ideas, etc.Cryostasis4 Oct 14, 2012
Oct 14, 2012 Alter time what's everyone using this for in pvp? So far the only use I can see is on pyro proc and for time warp. Is there a super secret combo I'm missing?Cowboydav6 Oct 14, 2012
Oct 14, 2012 Vale of Eternal Blossoms Teleport and Portal I was just wondering, is there any reason why the portal and teleport to the Vale of Eternal Blossoms isn't in the same expandable bar as the other teleports/portals as the others, or is this just me?Derravier8 Oct 14, 2012
Oct 14, 2012 Quick leveling question. Just started an heirloom Mage with my Warrior tank friend. With pure dungeons in mind, what spec is going to push the most AoE damage, and why?Amumu1 Oct 14, 2012
Oct 14, 2012 Summer's rest Sorry about the noob question, how do you open portals to summer rest again?Harrybotter0 Oct 14, 2012
Oct 14, 2012 What gems and enchants Frost mage pvp Hey all, I was wondering what gems and enchants I should use for frost mage pvp. I would like to know which gems to use in each color slot, and which enchant to use on each piece of gear, including the weapon. Thanks in advance for helping me out!Freezebees20 Oct 14, 2012
Oct 14, 2012 Rune of Power changes? Few days ago, as fire, Rune of Power was also healing me. Was there a fix or b/c now i'm frost.. why is this gone?Daveonfire1 Oct 14, 2012
Oct 14, 2012 Will blizzard nerf firemages and frost? ^^Ahree11 Oct 14, 2012
Oct 14, 2012 Question about Haste Plateau. Hi to all mage community. I was looking in forum threads and in guide pages about the Haste plateaus on this patch and i didn't find nothing. Does anybody know how much haste i need to get a Living bomb, Pyroblast and combustion extra tick? Thanks. PS: Sorry for my english, isn't my native language.Baraggia10 Oct 14, 2012
Oct 14, 2012 Dwarf mage is best mage Yes, despite the lack of useful racials, I must stand up and proclaim us, the dwarves of Khaz Modan, as the best. For it takes true boldness to be able to properly cast pyroblast without destroying entire cities when you are constantly drunk. For it takes a true master of frost to be more sloshed then your water elemental. For it takes a true master of the arcane to not polymorph yourself into a keg despite our blood being 90 proof! So my busty sisters, and bearded brothers stand proud. We are the few, the drunk, the dwarven mages.Katereina41 Oct 14, 2012