Mage

Sep 2, 2012 Newhire help with Fire DPS Cannot find a good patch 5 fire guide. So, I thought I would ask for some help here. I know my gear sucks and I need to gem and glyph up but I'm only pulling 10K dps on dummies. Was hoping someone could advice me on some fundamental areas to pick up my dps a bit, I know I should be doing better even with my gear. My rotation is basically spamming fireball with living bomb up and inferno blast only when fireball crits for the hot streak proc. Not using Scorch (at least not on dummies) so wondering if I should go with Presence of Mind for the extra pyro every 90 secs? Should I reforge were I can out of haste into crit, is there such a thing as crit cap? I would not think so. Thanks.Paranova2 Sep 2, 2012
Sep 2, 2012 Fire PvP Stat Priority? I'm returning to my mage for the first time since WotLK. I'm mainly focused on RBGs and am wondering what stats I should be stacking. Obviously int and hit cap are at the top of the list but what then, haste or mastery or crit? Appreciate any insight into this, the only fire guides I could find are either outdated or are PvE.Errow18 Sep 2, 2012
Sep 2, 2012 Fire PvP Frostfire over fireball? I was wondering if there would be any disadvantage in the mechanics of fire to glyph for frostfire bolt to reduce cooldown and use that in place of fireball to get the slowing effect. Any thoughts?Valmerith4 Sep 2, 2012
Sep 2, 2012 Are Mages using the Icy Veins Glyph? I havent been using this because i value my haste buff. Does each Frostbolt do 160% each, or are they dealing 160% all together too seperate targets? I dont feel like blowing money on a glyph i'll never use, so if people tested it please share your experiences with this glyph.Snøwblind17 Sep 2, 2012
Sep 2, 2012 2 months ago i was arcane what is good spec ? Title says it all thanks, btw i am level 70 but wife is 85 both mages any advice is helpfulFâil10 Sep 2, 2012
Sep 2, 2012 Addons Given the recent patch, a LOT of addons have broken. Some have been updated, and with updates comes bugs. The myBigIgnite addon, for example, seems to slow my game performance down. I'm wondering what addons people have found to work perfectly. This means not slowing FPS down, not breaking the UI, interacting well with other addons. DMB and Bartender seems to work well, and IceHUD doesn't seem to cause me any problems either.Lynox3 Sep 2, 2012
Sep 2, 2012 Crittermorph Bug(s) 5.04 Ok, I've been able to confirm independently, two separate bugs regarding the Crittermorph minor glyph. Firstly, I'll link the glyph. Glyph of Crittermorph Second, the bugs. First bug I noticed was with a /castrandom macro. ... Two things regarding the macro. Firstly, it's got a focus target, I've tried a version without the focus target, that wasn't the problem. Secondly, yes, I have 5 polymorph spells, and I've tried the macro with all variations there-in, starting with only 2 different ones, all the way up to 5. That's not the problem either. Also, this bug only seems to relate to critters, not regular mobs. So, that's the first bug; the second bug, relates to Presence of Mind. For those who don't know, "Presence of Mind" allows a mage to take any spell that is 9.99 seconds or less BASE cast time, and cast it instantly. Does not work with channeled spells sadly. Anyways, with Crittermorph equipped, I can LITERALLY spam Polymorph (Any of them) and not burn my Presence of mind buff, on critters. The instant I target any 'normal' mob, it burns the buff right away. Interestingly, if I remove the glyph, both the macro, and presence of mind, operate normally. Not sure if the PoM bit is a 'bug' perse, as... well, it's a critter, who cares? The macro however is, albeit a VERY minor one, since the macro, and PoM work normally on regular mobs, but not 'critters'. EDIT::: This is on live realms btw, 5.04Delithita7 Sep 2, 2012
Sep 2, 2012 3v3 comps at 90 What will you all be running? I'm torn between: Spicy Chicken Shattreeplay RMP and FFTree Also thought that Fire/Ele/Tree might be fun (kinda like FFTree, but less CC and moar pewpew)Garithel2 Sep 2, 2012
Sep 2, 2012 What are fire and frost pulling on tendons? For Spine, heroic numbers would be best please. I was down 2 million as arcane to 3.5.Batar11 Sep 2, 2012
Sep 1, 2012 Favorite Mage glyphs.... Whats your favorite... Personally, WTB mage to make every critter in eastern kingdoms a polar bear cub...Scasho0 Sep 1, 2012
Sep 1, 2012 Anyone else gettign en echoing sound in bgs? Never fails halfway through my bg i always get this sound that doesnt stop. It sounds like the priests inner focus buff.Janine1 Sep 1, 2012
Sep 1, 2012 Arcane Blast If ever a spell deserved a major graphics this one does. After all the windup and the major league toss.....nothing. Not a Arcane Spinning Curve Ball. No Arcane Slider. Not even an Arcane Spit Ball.Miatrina2 Sep 1, 2012
Sep 1, 2012 Mage Armors Just curious as too what other Frost Mages are using. I been using Frost Armor for the Haste, and the slow. I can cast 2 frost bolts + 2 ice lances in 1 deep freeze, as well as a frost bomb going off.Snøwblind3 Sep 1, 2012
Sep 1, 2012 Did mages get nerfed? Alright, so my main is a warrior, but I've been playing a mage alt with FULL HEIRLOOM GEAR on the side - now level 33, for fun. I log in post-patch. Whoa- I feel like my DPS was cut in half.... Did they get nerfed?Moonglaive4 Sep 1, 2012
Sep 1, 2012 Slowfall animation I popped slowfall and noticed it has the same animation now as Levitate, it floats you just above the ground while unmounted. If you move in any direction you land, however if you fight and do not move you stay in the air. I just tried it on Connor in TB. Also some players are saying (http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6412972519?page=3#52) that you lose it when you take any kind of damage, that's not true, we've never lost it with any damage at all.Rhazz12 Sep 1, 2012
Sep 1, 2012 Having a bit of trouble. Hello everyone; I've run into a bit of an issue that's seriously making me reconsider my class choice. I decided, at first, that I would be a frost mage and go PvP. So, that was all well and good, I got to 85, started to gear, then stopped playing for a bit. I started to level a rogue instead for PvP, since my results with my Mage were less than... Good. I thought I'd try PvE instead and just keep my rogue to PvP, seeing as how I've never seen much, if any, end game content. But when I decided to give THAT a try, my DPS was equivalent to that of a two year old child or maybe a sloth. Or an infant sloth. I don't really have any other way to say this, so I'll be blunt. Let's assume I've never played a Mage before-- I need tips on ranking high on DPS recount and just not being an overall waste of space on a dungeon or a raid. What stats I'd need, recommended or preferred talents and specs. Any assistance would be GREATLY appreciated u__u Thank you so very much! tl;dr- I suck at PvE, like. A LOT. Help, please and thank you. c:Kyiros6 Sep 1, 2012
Sep 1, 2012 Fire Mage PVE with Bloodlust Have any of you fire mages in raid experienced missing heating up procs because the cast speed of your fireball is too fast with lust or time warp? I noticed an actual decrease in my dps because I couldn't get up hot streaks. I'm not sure if this is because I need more practice or haste can actually be hindrance for fire mages. Do you guys think this could be a problem when we get better gear and MOP and all our stats are expected to increase slightly?Loriandis2 Sep 1, 2012
Sep 1, 2012 need help with a macro please I got the Glyph of Fire Blast and grabbed the Frost Bomb talent. But I can not, eve if my life depended on it, figure out what to write for a macro that will, cast Frost Bomb and then Fire Blast in such a way that I just have to press 1 button to get the instant explosion. I'v tried the obvious: /cast Frost Bomb /cast Fire blast Played around with castsequence too. So my question really is, is it even possible to make such a macro and if so could i possibly be showered with the great knowledge of how to do so? please :)Frostítute3 Sep 1, 2012
Sep 1, 2012 What the hell!? I keep seeing some absolutely insane numbers here and there ... I have no idea if it was the instance, the mob, or what. In the Well of Eternity I saw a crit upwards of 100k Earlier in End Time I hit the add in the Sylvanas fight and blew the adds face off with a whopping 269933 Pyro blast crit, and somewhere hit with a 146784 crit. Anyone else seeing these strange numbers?Beatidin6 Sep 1, 2012
Sep 1, 2012 Teach me the ways of the Magus. Greetings fellow Mages. I require some much needed wisdom regarding Frost PvP immediately. Bottom line, haste or mastery? Your assistance will not got unrewarded, this much I can assure you.Tredis22 Sep 1, 2012
Sep 1, 2012 Did fire just get hotfixed? I was hitting for 60k hot streak crits in bgs then the server went down for restart and after it came back up I'm only hitting 15k /30k crit hot streaks. maybe im smoking crack and they never hit for 60k, i really thought they were hitting for more than 30k crit tho ; / Ok so hitting on a dummy I am hitting for 64k without any buffs up but arcane brilliance on target dummies after the bg. 40% taken away from that would be 38.4 and I never hit that hard without every single buff up (pt, lightweave, pvp trinket) in that bg just now. What the heck? 0.o This was on multiple players and I hit many without defenses up... no more than 30k ever... AM I GOING CRAZY??? ><Halfawake0 Sep 1, 2012
Sep 1, 2012 Fire mage addon any recommended addons? having trouble keeping track of heating upJeanellydasd4 Sep 1, 2012
Sep 1, 2012 5.04 leveling Has anyone looked at mages leveling now? Currently I am 56, before the patch nearly untouchable during normal quest runs. Now it takes ~8-10 spells (up from 3-4) to kill an even level mob, am I doing something horribly wrong? Losing 60% health vs a single level mob is a bit much, 2v1 without pollymorph is now very hard. ThanksSneeger20 Sep 1, 2012
Sep 1, 2012 Frost Bomb and DTR This is merely anecdotal evidence, but anyone with DTR and 5 minutes can check. I got curious about how the staff would treat this spell, as the other two bombs are dots. Frost Bomb would be classified as a delayed nuke, for all intents and purposes. I found that DTR mimics the detonation, rather than the application, as I expected it to. And yet, there is a catch. DTR doesn't always mimic the detonation off the original target. Lets say 1 2 3 4 Are target dummies. Casting FB on 2, most of the time DTR would copy the same explosion. Occasionally, however, I would get graphics centered off of 1 and 3. I first noticed this because of 4 getting hit. Given how it should work, that would never normally happen. Honestly, I wold go with FB just because of the potential abuse, especially in PVP. Not only does it hit like a truck, but with lucky procs you can skirt it across two separate packs of tightly clustered people.Salykam13 Sep 1, 2012
Sep 1, 2012 Blizzard Y U remove Blastwave? ;( QQ But seriously, why?Wholewheat1 Sep 1, 2012
Sep 1, 2012 @ PvP Frost mages. Stop saying frost bomb is bad. - You have to cast now, you're days of spamming ice lance are over - If you can't find oppritunities to cast, you're doing it wrong - If bomb isn't doing a lot of damage, you're doing it wrong - If it takes to long to do damage you're not stacking enough haste - stop being lazy - Embrace your new casting spec, it's how we used to play, we are called casters. Love XiunXiun83 Sep 1, 2012
Sep 1, 2012 Top pvp spec 5.0.4 Hello mages! With the patch out, I'm thinking of dusting off my mage to try out the new specs in pvp. My question is, is there a superior mage pvp spec. I know that up until this patch frost has been the strongest spec for pvp, but with all the changes, has fire surpassed it, or is it still on top? I'm sure I'll end up playing the spec I like better, but I'm still curious :) Thanks guys!Thaeleras1 Sep 1, 2012
Sep 1, 2012 myBigIgnite setup I am trying to setup mybigignite addon and for some reason I can't seem to find where to enter in my threshold in the configuration window. If anyone could help I would greatly appreciate it.Bbasher0 Sep 1, 2012
Sep 1, 2012 Illusion the best glyph yet..but huge cd? I love illusion it's so perfect to me, at least the idea. For it only lasting 2 minutes can we please either get it buffed to like 5, or get the cooldown reduced to like 5 or 10 minutes to make it more fun? Just 2 minute for a 30 minute cd seems wrong.Xanderharris9 Sep 1, 2012
Sep 1, 2012 Haste cap What is it?Wretchd2 Sep 1, 2012
Sep 1, 2012 DPS on frost mages I am new to WoW and only have a 55 DK and my main 68 mage. I used to do good dmg before the patch as a frost mage. I am having problems with DPS. Evey dungeon i am in , i beat the healer and that is all even though i am casting non stop. Im not complaining , so save your insults please =) , i am just wondering if i am doing something wrong or if there is a way to improve my DPS with the way the new patch is. ThanksDesspaire5 Sep 1, 2012
Sep 1, 2012 Durr, durrDurrr, what do I do. I don't know how to spec. lol.Esaurus9 Sep 1, 2012
Sep 1, 2012 frost mage rotation? so far it's Frost Bomb > Frost orb > frost bolt till procs > refresh frost bomb?Sixis40 Sep 1, 2012
Sep 1, 2012 5.0.4 [PvE] Mage Talents Vs Spec I am having a hard time trying to understand the relation between Mage specs and the talents in the new 5.0.4 setup for PvE. None of the talents seem to have any relation to the associated spec. For PvE, I can pick exactly the same talents as frost and fire without any effect. The mage talents in PvE seems to be completely situational gimmicks based on the raid encounter itself and has no bearing on the spec at least till 90 (Invocation for Arcane). Tier 1 Scorch for mobility fight, POM for stationary fight. It doesnt matter if you are fire, frost or arcane. Tier 2 Ice Barrier seems to be the obvious choice based on current encounters. The spell pushback resistance component makes it fairly superior. Again, choice is not tied to fire, frost or arcane. Tier 3 PvP tier. Not generally relevant to PvE. Maybe for future gimmick encounters like adds in Maloriak or future encounters where an add need to be silenced and/or stunned. Again, fire, frost or arcane is not the deciding factor here. Tier 4 I would pick Cauterize over Cold Snap for PvE raiding. Although the thought of being able to use IB twice in 30 seconds sounds tempting, in PvE, it would be extremely situational and we can just respec to that if needed. So Cauterize seems obvious default choice. Once again, fire, frost or arcane is not the deciding factor here. Tier 5 AoE tree. Depending on how many adds, we pick one of the 3 talents in the order of 2, 4 and > 4 respectively. Again, frost fire or arcane is not relevant. Tier 6 This is the only tree where there's some dependence of a spec on a talent. Arcane theoretically should work better with Rune of Power for mana management. Frost and Fire - Invocation (debatable) TLDR-- Since the specs have no bearing on the talents, why are the specs and talents tied together. I would like the ability to choose a spec and a talent tree separately which would give me 2 x 2 = 4 different ways of playing. I.E. I would pick maybe an AoE setup and a single target , or a mobile setup or a static DPS talent setup as well as have have the ability for fire, frost and arcane.Tukglehn16 Sep 1, 2012
Sep 1, 2012 71 Million Damage Smack, nerfbat to that face! Nah, I'm just kidding, still a pretty cool video though! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qj1MSW3v9Y0&feature=relatedKboogie0 Sep 1, 2012
Sep 1, 2012 Arcane on Spine Has anybody tried Heroic Spine as Arcane already? If so, is it still a viable source of burst for the plates? Trying to figure out how I could keep my mana up for the duration of each plate, while still maintaining some decent burst :SNavius1 Sep 1, 2012
Sep 1, 2012 5.0.4 combustion OK i have been over sever stat priority builds and several other variables. I want to get a feel for how everyone else is doing with the new combustion. I feel that mine are sub par compared to the other mages i know. A bit of details about my toon are 400ilvl few bis items and no dragonwrath. On a target dummy average dps is 35k +/- a few. Ive got a handle on rolling my crits over for good pyro spam but i think my combustion falls short. Average ticks being around 6-8k. Any comments, suggestions or comparison?Konspiracy2 Sep 1, 2012
Aug 31, 2012 Mages.... Comon blizz.... Mages are Overpowered enough did you REALLY have to buff them EVEN more... Deep Freeze as a Normal Ability????? Fire mages running around with Instant Pyroblasts and then freezing players is stupidly OP, Mages need to be Nerfed. Really who is deciding mage abilities? cause they are going way to far anyone who SERIOUSLY thought about mages would not give them all these new abilitiesFrózenrage11 Aug 31, 2012
Aug 31, 2012 Idea for a glyph Just cuz I'm bored ^(^.^)^ Glyph of Reckless Magic Major Glyph Your Living Bomb, Nether Tempest, and Frost Bomb can now be applied to yourself. Frost Bomb will not trigger its cooldown when applied to yourself. So like, you'll explode / hit enemies near you while also damaging yourself with the initial damage, lul (^.^)Bavok2 Aug 31, 2012
Aug 31, 2012 Need help from fellow mages. So I'm kinda new to the mage class and been gone for over a year. I played a druid for many years but now I want to try a mage. With the new patch thats out, can anyone tell me which spec is now most efficient for bg's at lvl 48 thanks. Last question. I would like to press any of my offensive abilities and have it automatically target nearest opponent. Is there anything I can do to make this happen? I know about tab but I don't like to having to keep pressing tab to target. Is there an option like how SWTOR has? Or any macro command and do I have to put that command in all my offensive macros? Right now Im not using any macros but will make them if it could help me targeting.Meduso4 Aug 31, 2012
Aug 31, 2012 Why isnt there anything on Arcane Mages? Ive played Arcane FOREVER. and i see no diffrence in the PvP style. ofcourse you have Deepfreeze and have to stack you're Charges to 6, but if you have alot of haste and are able to stay at 6 stacks just Arcmissle and Arcblast. OH and the Dot.. Timewarp and all CDS+tempest=Ally healer going WTF.. Deepfreeze as often as you can and if you have 6stacks and 2missle procs whatever you have deepfroze WILL die, especially if followed up by a 6stackpowered barrage. THAT YOU'RE is for the !@#$s... enjoy, and understand this is nothing new.. stuff is always OP during these Mnths of new content b4 Expansions. Dont get discouraged, get a restro druid to run with you. Only thing i have troubles with is BM hunter and Shadowpriests, and i get owned if its both. Arc plays alot like fire now... Dot,Stack,Maintain(mana dependant) dump. and i guarentee Ally will be dumping on theirselves. DestroLock and ArcMage are (in my opinion) the best healer killers ATM. i would say BM hunters, but its their pet not them... they mine as well get 2 glittery pink pompoms "GO PET GO" As every other Mage out there, if you have any insight or know of any good Combos pls post. Im interested, and dont think this thread is Arcane Bias. leave pros and cons of your spec as it might sway me from mine, but i doubt itXpiation4 Aug 31, 2012
Aug 31, 2012 Why aren't mages polymorphing all the critter critters*(got character capped in the title). But I'm kind of serious...I'm surprised, I've been walking around Stormwind and I haven't seen one polymorphed critter... I have a level 18 mage, and as soon as I get it to 50 I would be polymorphing every critter to look like a monkey, bear, or penguin... I think it would be kind of cool to see that lol.Chevie12 Aug 31, 2012
Aug 31, 2012 Spellsteal buffed in 5.0.4? Something I've noticed is a few (well 1) buffs that are stealable that used to not be stealable, but it only dispels them rather than steal. So far, the buff I've found that's stealable that wasn't is Bone Armor from the cavaliers in the Military Quarter of Naxxramas (Yes, I know it WAS originally spellstealable but was later removed for being overpowered). While I didn't actually get the buff, it DID remove it from the mobs. However, I didn't notice if the timer on the buffs were changed instead to be really really short. All I know was I didn't get the buff. Has anyone else noticed this or found buffs we originally couldn't steal but now can? Do we get those buffs or not? While I'm disappointed I don't get the buff, I'm happy about this change as it feels like an actual dispel for any type of magic buff now.Pewpewblast0 Aug 31, 2012
Aug 31, 2012 What happened to our range weapon ? I might have missed this looking at the patch note, but does anyone know what happened to our range weapon ? Why was it removed ?Drakco19 Aug 31, 2012
Aug 31, 2012 ATTN LF a good Frost transmog set!!! I already got my fire set down now its time for frost :P Any ideas?Gnomëo10 Aug 31, 2012
Aug 31, 2012 Will Orc's Command racial affect Frost Mages? Just wonder, will the extra pet damage apply to Water Elementals? Does this potentially make Orc the best Horde race for a PvE frost mage?Bavok2 Aug 31, 2012
Aug 31, 2012 Defend the Rebel Camp as Fire Mage - WTF? I am completely failing at this quest, and I'm not sure what to do. Granted, I haven't been playing this toon much lately so I'm a bit out of practice. But with the shortage of defensive capabilities in Fire spec, and the stupid-long cooldowns on the few defensive spells I do have, I'm completely baffled as to how to handle this quest where enemies are constantly spawning out of thin air. I get, say, two mobs on me, hit Frost Nova to root them and get away, and immediately have three more appear out of nowhere and I now have no way (that I can think of) to deal with them. I can't do my usual thing of finding a "safe" location to cast from, since the hostiles are spawning and attacking from every direction. There is no "safe" place. I've tried three times now and haven't managed to survive more than about 30 seconds past the end of Mandokir's little speech. I've soloed the quest just fine on a couple plate-wearing toons, but this cloth-wearing mage can't take the same kind of beating, and I spend more time trying to run away than attacking before I finally die. Between levels 80 and 85 I figured out how to stay alive against your normal Cata quest mobs, but at this point I don't have any experience in dealing with a nonstop stream of mobs coming from every direction. My only experience with multiple mobs has been in dungeons where I have a tank to keep them away from me and a healer to take care of any damage I take. I seem to be completely unequipped to deal with this many mobs all at once in a solo situation. Advice?Svelexi20 Aug 31, 2012
Aug 31, 2012 Reforging With a pve fire build in mind & the MOP structure ... three questions for the mage community: 1. what is the priority hit > int > ? > ? > ? 2. is there a targeted crit cap? 3. is there a targeted haste cap? I simply haven't had a chance to dig through Elitest Jerks and Lhivera's (sp) compendium and hoping you can help me =) thanks all!Exodia0 Aug 31, 2012
Aug 31, 2012 Inferno Blast change The only real problem I have right now with fire was in the way Inferno Blast behaves with travel times on certain fights. I'll use Ultraxion as an example, usually at the beginning of Ultraxion you'll have Heroism blown and start your Fireball spam after DoTs are rolling, now with lust up on Ultraxion where you have a medium length travel time. The problem encountered is by the time your Heating Up has shown as a proc, you're next Fireball has already been cast, and you're on your 3rd Fireball. Or you've already blown your GCD from the 2nd Fireball to take advantage of your next Inferno Blast. Now while this isn't a problem 100% of the time, it becomes much more apparent during small travel times (Yor'Sahj, Zon'Ozz) or on medium length travel times when you have haste procs or heroism. A suggested fix for this would either be to remove Inferno Blast off the GCD so you don't get caught mid Fireball, trying to see if you can get the IB off in time. Or via a glyph like counterspell where it allows you to use it while casting a spell (Fireball). Though I understand this isn't a problem 100% of the time, it just doesn't feel as fluid as fire should be when you're panicking to get your Inferno Blast off. Heck, not even sure if anyone else thinks this is a reasonable fix or perhaps it would make Inferno Blast too strong.Edachi11 Aug 31, 2012
Aug 31, 2012 Frostbolt : attack or heal? Any tricks or suggestion on how to know if your frostbolt is going to hit the target or heal your elemental? Macros?Kickingfish2 Aug 31, 2012