Mage

Jul 14, 2012 Some fire guidance please Hello! Since I've started playing this mage (and this is my first toon) I've been arcane. Recently I've started PvPing a bit more and really started to enjoy playing as fire. But, I just dinged 80 yesterday and started running some of the cata 5 mans as fire (previously I ran all dungeons as arcane). I've noticed my fire DPS is about 2-3k lower than what I am doing as arcane. I've read the stickies about rotations, priorities etc and I know my gear is a mess and all over the place right now (I'm just taking everything I can from questing and dungeons until I can get a PvP set at 85). Running blackrock caverns for example as arcane I did ~4.5K DPS as fire I couldn't get above 2.2-2.5k My rotation generally looks like this on the AoE trash mobs: Blast wave > living bomb (either tab target or impact spread if it i procs) then just start spamming fireball single target and use hot streak if it procs. The thing is, I'm barely getting any hot streak procs at all. Maybe twice per boss fight if I'm really lucky but usually I get none. On bosses I usually do: Apply living bomb -> flame orb -> fireball until hot strreak -> Pyroblast! if it procs, then combust if the stars align (which again they rarely do) (oh, I also pop Mirror Images at the beginning). Is my problem gear related, or is it my rotation? At first I was inclined to believe it was because of gear but then I doubted that theory when playing as arcane I was getting 12-15K arcane blast crits almost every other cast. TL;DR my DPS sucks as fire compared to my arcane spec and I seek guidance :) EDIT: Just thought I'd mention, I plan on PvPing mostly at end game but I'm leveling through PvE since the 80-84 bracket is just horrible. I'm having very little trouble with fire PvP, it's my PvE dps that's doing bad.Ertholas2 Jul 14, 2012
Jul 14, 2012 BOA enchants what should I enchant on my boa staff and boa cloth shoulders for mage? ThanksArçhmage4 Jul 14, 2012
Jul 14, 2012 4.3.2 Competitive Fire PvP: Tips and Tricks I've started this thread again with the intention of giving mages of all skill levels a better understanding on how to be successful as fire in PvP. Whether you are just getting started or you have been fire for a while, I am certain there will be something you can walk away with. ... Credibility For those of you who do not know me (aka Bloowoogle), I play fire at a 2500+ 3v3 rating and 2400+ RBG rating (S11). I have lead over 350 RBG games and helped teams of all skill levels succeed and have a good time. I'm consistently over 2400 rating this season with compositions of all types. With that being said, let's get to the real content. Maximizing your character and being a threat: Fire relies heavily on you consistently doing damage or crowd control abilities to create pressure. It's also your own self-created form of dispel protection. Simply put, healers can not keep up with dispelling things if you are interrupting them or spreading damage everywhere. To start off, one of your greatest tools by far is impact. It's also important to realize you should never be instantly using it when it is triggered. Here's the sort of things you should be looking to do with impact: ... Working for a kill is not simple and often comes down to a well used combustion. Be patient, be strategic, and wait until you crit with pyroblast first. This alone, especially if spread, creates ridiculous pressure for the opposing team to deal with. Dragon's breath is also incredibly useful when you begin to learn how to take full advantage of it. To start off, it does not break on any sort of DoT or channeled damage. So if you were playing with a shadow priest, he could chain mind flay into a player that is disoriented. It also is a great way to buy 5 seconds of movement and setup a polymorph or hard cast a pyroblast in somethings face. Make full use of it and never break it instantly with something weak. Although rather difficult to get used to, fire is a very in-your-face sort of playstyle. You need to be close to your opponent in order to build up damage but you also need to be wise enough to move away when you lack tools to prevent damage. And with the ability to CC and do damage with all 3 schools of magic, you should never be sitting around and waiting to cast. Force your opponent to interrupt you so that landing critical spells is possible when you need it.Bloobungle142 Jul 14, 2012
Jul 13, 2012 Need help with fire mage!!!!! delete pleaseSoak0 Jul 13, 2012
Jul 13, 2012 How do I beat rogues as a frost mage? Hey there. I am having alot of trouble dealing with rogues as a frost mage. I know for this level, my gear is still mostly 70 pvp gear, but I have been having trouble with rogues the entire game so far, so Im not sure if gear is the issue. I would like some tips and advice on how to counter them. Most people just tell me that, "no matter how hard you try frost mages cannot counter rogues, its impossible", so Im not sure, but I love the mage class I just hate being ganked and then being torn apart. Any tips, info or help on this situation greatly appreciated! :)Alanathra13 Jul 13, 2012
Jul 13, 2012 Help my mage http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/mannoroth/Xmir/simple He should be going arcane for the guild and he is only pulling 8k dps and pushes 10k. I don't have any WoL to show but any help would be great.Elementon7 Jul 13, 2012
Jul 13, 2012 Arena suggestions needed So I have posted in arena forums with no response as well as in priest forums but i want some mage point of views as well. I love playing my dk and will continue to do so, I just prefer him in bgs so want an arena comp. My brother has an ele shaman (he wont play resto) hunter and dk. My question is will a mage or s priest be good comp (he mainly plays his hunter) with either of these for 2s? I'm wanting to roll one or the other for mop. I leveled a resto druid (I know not the best pvp healer but I enjoy them) for the healing aspect and for raids but want another dps spec for 2s thats viable with my brothers classes. I enjoy both and would level both just do not have the time. Thanks!Ginus0 Jul 13, 2012
Jul 13, 2012 Gearing Advice Hi all, I just got back into the game after a long break. Currently running the new Heroics for gears. Is there anything you guys noticed about my glyphs, specs enchants that may be not be the best for min/maxing? I'm primarily a fire mage.. My frost spec... I don't even remember what that was for haha. Thanks.Ohmuzzie1 Jul 13, 2012
Jul 13, 2012 Wut do? (fire help) So this is what im working with. My gear is easily suitable for fire and should provide much higher dps than arcane, however I am finding that my procs are extremely low. Like, 1 or 2 hot streaks on ultraxion low. It could always be because I was having bad luck, or it could be my stats. I've always seen in guides that you need to stack crit, which I did. This should provide a lot of crits, translating into a lot of hot streaks, translating into a lot of dps, but this is not the case. Recommend me stuff.Mowmow1 Jul 13, 2012
Jul 13, 2012 fire spec question i was told that i have to much haste... can that be true?.... its been a while and the only fire sticky i have seen is back in patch 4.0.3 so im not really sure its up to date... thxs in advance.Regginsusej2 Jul 13, 2012
Jul 13, 2012 Mage leveling guide? So I am leveling a mage and was wondering if anyone can link a good mage leveling guide. Like what spec at what level. spec builds, and how to use those specs leveling. wish icy veins had a mage leveling guide but if you have ever seen his I want one like those. Thanks guysArbassa7 Jul 13, 2012
Jul 13, 2012 A GUIDE TO FIRE MAGE PVP http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRFurhbNcJc&feature=plcp i hope you enjoyKabizzle0 Jul 13, 2012
Jul 13, 2012 Lighting Rod I dont see alot of Mages use it, instead they're using Rathrak (1hand dagger)from deathwing and the off-hand that drops in the HOT Should I be using those, or use my lightning rod? Is there a list of things that I should be using for upgrades on my mage?Jshadows12 Jul 13, 2012
Jul 13, 2012 2nd Spec for a Frost Mage? My Frost Mage is now above the level needed for Dual Talent Specialization but I'm not sure what I should pick for my second. I knew from the start Frost was a must for me but I'm not sure which out of the other two I'd like to pick. Any suggestions?Jakesly2 Jul 13, 2012
Jul 13, 2012 Fire v. Arcane I'm launching into normal DS10 in the next few days, and was wondering about running as Arcane instead of Fire. Most of the mages I've seen in LFR have been fire, but when I reforged and tried out Fire my DPS went down; I also enjoy Arcane mana management more than Fire's watch-CombustionHelper-and-pray-for-crits RNG dependence. Basicslly, am I just bad at Fire or can I be competitive as Arcane? I do well in LFR, always top 5-7, but it is LFR. Thanks!Mimimagi6 Jul 13, 2012
Jul 13, 2012 Fire Mage PvP Now and in MoP Hey guy! I'm not necessarily new to Mages, however the highest I've ever gotten is 70. I'm remaking an account to level with RAF, with a friend of mine on a new realm, so I decided to start this new Mage. To the point, though. My favorite spec has, and will always be Fire. I just love it, there's so much going on and it's loads of fun to play around with. My question is, in MoP does the Fire spec change much? And is it for the better or for the worst? I want peoples opinions, I have gone and looked over the talents and read up on it but I'm wondering what everyone else thinks. I don't think the spec has changed too much but perhaps I'm direly wrong because I have little experience. I focus primarily on PvP, but I do PvP at an average level, which you obviously can't see on a level 34 that I'm leveling but I'm not boasting much, so it shouldn't be hard to believe. I'm average. What do you guys think? :I Fizzwick2 Jul 13, 2012
Jul 12, 2012 Heroic Madness help. Hey fellow magisters, sorcerers and abjurers. I am having significant DPS problems on heroic madness. I topped basically every other fight with the other fire mage, but in Heroic madness we slip to 4th and 5th consistently. I assume this is due to melee and hunters having higher chances of proccing Spellweave (AA procs), which is something I can't help. However, is there anything I can do to up my DPS? Pulling around 50k (identical to the other mage) with Combustion/Images basically rolling on cooldown. While I do not think our attempts were logged tonight, I checked my LB uptime, which was about 86%. We usually get up to the 4th Elementium Bolt, bit farther usually. Have made it to P2 twice, no real issues with Congealing Bloods.Stanislav6 Jul 12, 2012
Jul 12, 2012 Fire up my deeps Hey guys, I recently started raiding again (fire specced) and I was averaging about 30k dps overall, and I feel, given my gear, that I should be higher. Looking for help from any experienced mages. Rotation (priority): 1. Pyro at the start of the fight, or scorch if I can't beat the tank too it. 2. Living bomb (I do let it expire before re-applying) 3. Flame orb 4. Pyro whenever hot streak procs 5. Fireball with nothing else to do I try to combust when I have 10 stacks of stolen time, living bomb and pyro dot up, and an ignite at least 20k or bigger. Lately though I have having a hard time getting ignites bigger than 13-17k on single target boss fights, so I end up using a smaller ignite so that I can fit in two combustions. Maybe this is bad lol. So that's it. You guys can check out my gear, reforge, gems and enchants (working on shoulders). I'm just looking for any ways to better myself as a player and my damage. Please leave any tricks, hints, or advice you have. P.S. I also want to know if there are any specific things I should be doing in specific fights. I know to combust when all the adds are up on Yor'sahj, burst when Hagara loses shield, stuff like that, but what else is there? Again, thanks for any help guys, happy raiding! :)Malhavoc16 Jul 12, 2012
Jul 12, 2012 Hunter or Mage? I choose the mage. I've got a hunter and a mage I am gearing at 85 in full ruthless. I got the hunter in all ruthless except for to cata pieces. The damage isn't anything even close to the mage. You can survive a lot easier, but it's all for nothing because you can't output enough sustained damage to do anything. So.. I guess I'm going back to my mage.Moograham2 Jul 12, 2012
Jul 12, 2012 which is better which is better for a fire mage http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/item/77971 raid finder version or http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/item/77114 with the hast reforged to crit for my gear...Alph1 Jul 12, 2012
Jul 12, 2012 Watter elemental probs Im messing around on my mage with frost pvp/pve and my watter ele is not attacking my targer (assisting). I have him set on assist and have tryed deffencive and still nothing...anyonels have this prob or is it a knowen fuk up with a fix?Satanael3 Jul 12, 2012
Jul 12, 2012 Help with stats please! Hi everyone! I've just started raiding normal ds on my mage (big deal right?) and I won a few pieces: shoulder, wrist, and ring. I'm using the lfr gloves to keep my 4 piece bonus which I think is essential right? I was hoping someone could help me make sure that I'm reforging properly and that at my current ilvl I should still be arcane. I have 390 gloves but if I use them I would break my set bonus and I know that I haven't chanted my gloves yet. Also, caster trinks refuse to drop for me lol. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated, thanks so much :)Dapler3 Jul 12, 2012
Jul 12, 2012 5 man aoe specs I was wondering what spec as a mage does the best aoe in 5 man heroics.Urtho4 Jul 12, 2012
Jul 12, 2012 Mage Kiting How-To? So how do mages kite? I'm assuming they can't jump-kite like a hunter, since their spells have a cast time. Do they snare the target, cast a damage spell, turn around, run away, turn back around and cast another damage spell?? I'm a noob...Can they jump-kite with instant-cast spells?Castamir9 Jul 12, 2012
Jul 12, 2012 what should my combustions be 10k? 15k? 20k? or 6k 7k 8k??Chrnome2 Jul 12, 2012
Jul 12, 2012 Mages are broken. Am I the only one who realizes mages have serious issues.. 1: Frostfire orb (or any orb) is totally unreliable and can disappear as soon as you cast it or can just float to a different direction. 2:Rings of frost is seriously broken people walk all over it and nothing happens unless they stay there for about 4 seconds . Why can't this spell be instant? 3:Our water elemental constantly dismisses itself if it gets out of range from it's mage. We have to blow our WE cooldown instead of just summoning it.Frostslick28 Jul 12, 2012
Jul 12, 2012 DPS on dem dummies help :D So even though im gemmed/enchanted (mostly) and reforged for fire spec, I still find myself being able to pull more dps on the dummies - havent' really tried arcane much in DS besides spine. Is this normal for most mages? Does fire only truly shine when you are out there in a raid group, getting fully buffed etc? Or should I maybe just suck it up and stick with arcane? let me know what you guys think, and if you can critique my gear at all, please do. cheers. :DDoogel3 Jul 12, 2012
Jul 11, 2012 Blizzard should grow up and stop taking things to extremes. If one class/spec is op, nerf it on one or two aspects so that it's balanced. If one class/spec is terrible, buff it on one or two aspects so that it's balanced. NOT on all aspects or most aspects! It's been so many years, and so many classes/specs went from op to gutted to op to gutted, how come bliz never learns?Aou8 Jul 11, 2012
Jul 11, 2012 My gear good enough to go fire? Im doing decent as arcane but I've been wanting to go fire. Do you guys think my gear is good enough to switch to fire?Ryuk2 Jul 11, 2012
Jul 11, 2012 hast or mastery which one after the hast cap? after reforging everything i can to critAlph5 Jul 11, 2012
Jul 11, 2012 My mage pvp video All feedback is appreciated :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2HNyFjObZc youtube (warcraft movies link coming soon) Rate Comment Like Share :DTwodent5 Jul 11, 2012
Jul 11, 2012 New Player Help Hi all, I'm a new player and have several questions. 1. In dungeons I usually cast LB on all the targets pulled by the tank, then cast FO. Should I keep doing this or go to work on a single target right away ? 2. Why does Remove Curse not always work and when exactly does it work ? 3. How much damage does Dragon's Breath do ? 4. Is Improved Fireblast worth it ? 5. Can you only buy Gems from the A/H or through JC ? 6. I know there a LOT of guides to getting geared at 85, but I have not been playing that long and want to explore the world. Should I go do more dungeons, grind rep or focus on my professions, which do you think is the best path ? 7. Thank You in advance :) Cheers !Dania3 Jul 11, 2012
Jul 11, 2012 What gs should I have for fire? Everytime I try fire I fail horribly and people tell me I dont have enough gear, well I;m arcane now and I'm wondering when would be a good time to switch and maybe some tips. ThanksMcpyro4 Jul 11, 2012
Jul 11, 2012 Help with choosing gear for progression Hi. my guild is doing dragon soul, and are working on our heroic progression. I was wondering, i got the NORMAL gloves of liquid smoke, should i equip those and sacrifice my 4 set, or not use the heroic shoulders?Dreadmaw4 Jul 11, 2012
Jul 11, 2012 Leveling Areas? Ok so as a lvl 39 mage, i just got done with desolace and moved down. Are there any more areas with a large amount of quests i can do that are 40-45 then 46-50?Niko2 Jul 11, 2012
Jul 11, 2012 Frost Mage - Professions What are the best professions for a Frost Mage which are also good for making money?Jakesly2 Jul 11, 2012
Jul 11, 2012 Frost Pve Does frost pve dps even compare to arcane or fire? It's my favorite spec and really want to use it to raid...Morgastic6 Jul 11, 2012
Jul 11, 2012 Arcane Pve Mage armor Why this armor can anyone explain it to me?Lästgoodbye2 Jul 11, 2012
Jul 11, 2012 Why Are Mages Better Than Warlocks? Sick of taking crap from a Warlock friend, and want to see some Mage Pride here. Why are Mages better then those Dirty Warlocks?Frostscourge17 Jul 11, 2012
Jul 11, 2012 Unique Mage Transmog rate Rate on it's Uniqueness and How it looks all together. And guys/gals pls state who you are talking about *Example* Pls add Ideas of how to help others to come up with great Unique Transmogs 1. Mogit Addon very nice helper, make sure you get the sister Addons 2. Pls comment on the person that is above you, so we don't have people getting skipped over, then make statements about your thoughts on your set if that is what you want to do. Hey ladies and Gents, request this for sticky, think this is a helpful thread for people to get idea's and to suggest them too. Keep up the ideas.Pheinix500 Jul 11, 2012
Jul 10, 2012 Help a fire mage out, PvE DPS? I'm more a PvPer, so I'm rather lost when it comes to this whole raid thing... I've only ever tanked raids prior, but my Guild Leader asked me to set up a DS10 for the guild, and I did.... But let's just say it's hard to be the proud leader of a group when you're consistently being carried in DPS. I just spent about an hour on the dummies, trying different things, and I'm pretty well capped at about 18k DPS self buffed, consistently. It'll spike up, yes, but it always finds its way back to 18-20 after a few million damage... I get that I'm not fully enchanted, but I feel like even still my DPS should be dramatically higher... I watched my combustion helper like a hawk, made sure living bomb was always up, I just can't figure this thing out. Armory is set up for my PvE gear... Help a brotha out? My priorities are Living Bomb > Pyro! > Combustion after 10 Stolen Time > Fire Orb > Fireball Spam, only combusting after a decent crit, 35k+Nymera4 Jul 10, 2012
Jul 10, 2012 Blizzard I want answers. In the dummy book found in Dalaran(Thinking with Portals - A Memorandum on Proper Portal Usage) it states this: Page 5 "Rule #1: Do not create a portal to anywhere but the designated Kirin Tor portal drop-off zones. The most dangerous aspect of the portal spell is its vast potential. We realize it's easy for a mage to create a door to anywhere, so our only way to combat such potentially deadly acts is to make it punishable by death. Special Issue License D-6 permits open portal usage, but is rarely issued. Speak with your local Portal Trainer about qualifying for this license." By the titans, I want this license!! Give me answers.Rxcody14 Jul 10, 2012
Jul 10, 2012 How important is weapon? How important is a mage's weapon compared to other classes, especially melee? I'm talking something like having T2 vs T1 pvp weapon. I'm not considering the legendary because it has different stats and procs than the PvP weapons. It seems overall mage damage is less based around the weapon than melee?Abrade11 Jul 10, 2012
Jul 10, 2012 Living Bomb - jump Hi all, Just returning to WoW after a long break so i'm fairly rusty... as there have been a lot of changes. So question... Can "Living Bomb" still spread to another 3 mobs by fireblasting? or was it scorching... or do you have to cast Living Bomb individually each time on the other 3 mobs.? ThanksNecromantic5 Jul 10, 2012
Jul 10, 2012 Mage PvP Professions? Hey guys. Was just curious what you thought were the best two professions for mage PvP and why? I'm looking to start doing some professions on my mage and I have no idea what's best. I would appreciate your help and insights. Thanks.Scar11 Jul 10, 2012
Jul 10, 2012 Why did you make your mage? Hey guys. I'm kinda bored at work and figured I'd ask you guys why a mage? What pulled you to playing the class of icy fingers and hot streaks? Personally I got jelly over mages in PvP. The eat-your-face like you just did bath salts(this is still cool to say right?) ability of mages just made me want one. I can honestly say this is now one of my top loved classes after a few 1 on 1's in BGs and just keeping them in a daze and laughing as you pyro them in the face. Too awesome.Minimagicman37 Jul 10, 2012
Jul 10, 2012 Favorite Mage memories So what are your favorite moments playing a mage? I have a couple of good memories. At the end of BC, the level requirement for a mount went from 40 to 30. This was a new alt at the time and I had just made 30 the day before they lowered the cap. I ran all the way over to the Logging Camp and found a skull level (to me) horde killing the trainer and vendor. I whispered to some friends (with a higher level alts) to come and kill the horde. As my friends come rolling in, the horde mounts up and rides off. I fired a Frostbolt... and got lucky! Not only did it hit, it also froze the horde in place! My friends trounced the horde and I got my mount when the NPC's respawned. Another good memory came from the Wintergrasp PVP area. My realm was mostly horde so battles were often 6 to 1 against alliance. At the time you got a buff if you were outnumbered instead of the 1 on 1 nerf that they created. My guild got creative and we decided to run it like a raid. We all grouped together at the west shop and all the ranged and healers stayed on top of the graveyard when we died. Instead of Frost Spec I went to Arcane for maximum DPS. I kept Arcane Blast at 4 stacks. With the buffs, I was killing all the horde with one or two shots. However, there are some problems with this tactic. 1) I ran out of mana very quickly. 2) Eventually, with the sheer numbers the horde will overwhelm the shop and then the graveyard will be theirs. Thus, they all respawned on the graveyard at once and they were all very angry at me. But it was a lot of fun while it lasted.Adrian9 Jul 10, 2012
Jul 10, 2012 Anyone entirely bored of their PvP Mage? And the game for that matter? Talk to me... Skype: jayyp13 i'm interested in hearing why and perhaps you're interested in my ..rant ;)Teknocrat25 Jul 10, 2012
Jul 10, 2012 Portals What is a typical selling price of a portal to another player?Axey26 Jul 10, 2012
Jul 9, 2012 Secrets to Keep up DPS Hello Mages could someone please explain this When i start a dummy rotation i do the regular stuff: Pyro LB Spam FB Like its the beggining i would cast the combustion with an ignite around 22-27K (all dots on) Wow DPS increases up to 31K in seconds... awesome Combustion helpers say something like this: Total Combustion 175000 ticks 14 Damage 7500 I dont have the exact numbers but its close to that most of the time (in dummys) Then dps goes down... like in 10 secs i got around 22-24K if i cast a second combustion even with a good ignite 25-28K (dots up) my dps just increments like 2 or 3k After 1st combustion i keep Scorch up, Lb (let it explote) spam Fb use pyro procs, FO on CD But i cant seem to hold up the DPS Even in raids im having the same problem... at the start of the fight im always No 1, but then i got down and down and almost always in 5th All of you have been great with me, since i have incremented my dps greatly thanks to everything you have told me and i have read here... i believe that if i can get thru this last step then i will be a descent fire mage and can have pece of mind again ...lol Thanks in advanceWinaleth8 Jul 9, 2012