Mage

Aug 16, 2012 A couple quick questions about my gear/spec I've played arcane mostly and it's served me well usually to the top on dps meters but I've read that fire is the top spec for top end raiding. As such I've switched to fire and I'm wondering if at my gear level fire is better? On ultrax I did about 37K dps in lfr and around 70K on Madness while testing it out. Also in terms of my reforging and gear am I doing anything majorly wrong? For combustion do I always wanna wait till I get a hotstreak or just a fireball crit? ThanksFebruari1 Aug 16, 2012
Aug 16, 2012 25% vs 35% Haste As a Fire Mage So here is the deal: Currently I raid in a 25man team and I have been playing with the idea of going from 25-35% haste with my character. We have heroic DS on farm and am trying to find some ways to keep things interesting yo could say. I have played around with it in rarw, and a few other sites and from everything i can see. I am able to hit that 35% haste 'cap' with some simple reforging and gem changes. Here are my fears/worries: First my crit will drop from 44% to 39.8% (something i can live with and is the least of my worries). When I put everything into rarw, it tells me i will actually see a loss in dps. How is this so (because the loss of crit i am assuming)? And finally any gearing suggestions to maybe make it easier to hit this 35% haste 'limit' as a mage. Oh by the way 35% haste works to 3185 if i am correct right? And I am taking into consideration the 3% buff i can get from a warlock. Thanks again and if you have played with this idea in raid i would appreciate to hear your feedback.Thermìte10 Aug 16, 2012
Aug 15, 2012 Giving fire a shot? Well, I've only been back at WoW for about a month, and have really enjoyed playing as an arcane mage, but I keep reading that fire is better at higher gear levels. While I've been able to stay close to the top of the DPS meter in raids, I'd like to give fire a try. So far I've looked at Icyveins as my resource for stats/rotations, but are their suggestions still up to date? Am probably going to run a few heroic 5 mans in the next few days to familiarize myself with rotations, so I want to make sure that I'm using the correct information. Any help with fire specific addons and resources would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, PhranticPhrantic4 Aug 15, 2012
Aug 15, 2012 SERIOUS mage names? OK so I have been thinking about making a blood elf female mage and I need some SERIOUS names. Not names that have real words in it. Thanks to everyone who gave a suggestion.Sylvinà19 Aug 15, 2012
Aug 15, 2012 Rate my transmog Hey guys, heres my transmog set for a fire mage, what do you reckon? Looks like balls in the armory, screenshot here http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/716/wowscrnshot101811125028.jpg/Kinetik6 Aug 15, 2012
Aug 15, 2012 I think we might need a nerf Just look.... http://www.xfire.com/video/59f731/ and arcane is getting buffed next patch...Jujitsu5 Aug 15, 2012
Aug 15, 2012 Rate me for heroic spine! c: Hello there, Can someone rate my reforges and stuf%@*e? I'm having serious issues with my tendon damage.. help. Please.Trair21 Aug 15, 2012
Aug 15, 2012 Hey guys I love killing you.Zedikus7 Aug 15, 2012
Aug 15, 2012 Arcane - Real question... Why Haste? I can't imagine how haste can be useful in any fight over 3 minutes. I have very little Mage experience, but T12 4piece was thrown at me and I notice even with the best mana conservation rotation, I can't fully utilize every Arcane Power cooldown. What is the logic behind haste having a better stat weight over crit (both under Mastery of course).Swordyjr5 Aug 15, 2012
Aug 15, 2012 Arcane mana regeneration. So since the talent systems are being changed in MOP and Evocation can no longer have a 2 minute cool down which greatly improves Arcane Mage's DPS I was wondering what would we do for mana regeneration till level 90 considering Mage armour was changed as well.Worganizers11 Aug 15, 2012
Aug 15, 2012 Fire or Arcane in 30-84 dungeons I'm simply wondering whether the Fire or Arcane spec will do more dps in dungeons once I reach 30 and pick up a spec only for dungeons. I don't have a preference I just want to be doing the most dps I can so either spec is fine with me. I'll be wearing full perfectly enchanted boa gear if that makes a difference. Any feedback is appreciated.Darkdesign1 Aug 15, 2012
Aug 15, 2012 Thinking of going fire/mage main Heyo This is kinda a @xuin/@all fire mages I am a arcane mage and was thinking of going into the fire spec Is their a certain priority for spell rotation??Shizah10 Aug 15, 2012
Aug 15, 2012 Fire MLS 3v3 Hey guys. Was wondering if you guys would kindly watch my new Arena video. Feedback and constructive criticism is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance and cya next time :) What to expect: 2200 mmr 3v3 Fire / Affliction / Rsham vsing 2k-2.6k players Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULuRfmAjsJU If you enjoyed the video, please Subscribe to be updated for more content! -Hansol the PyromaniacHansol7 Aug 15, 2012
Aug 15, 2012 Should I gem for resilience as fire for pvp? So I was looking at a mage and he was literally gemmed full resilience instead of using any +50 INT gems. I just wanted to know what some of you fire mages run your resilience at. Currently with PvP items in all of my slots my resilience is at 4978. If I chose to go ahead and gem for resilience all the way I can easily obtain over 5.5k resilience. I know the cons of not having the INT gems will make me lose SP, Crit, etc but is it worth it as a fire mage? This is something I have never tried. I also occasionaly use Cunning of the Cruel along with Insignia of the Corrupted Mind and put on Firehawk Leggings for the extra crit % I get. I have heard people for and then I have heard people against mages gemming for resilience which is why I would like to get the community's opinion. The mage I am referring to that is gemmed full resilience and making me think to do the same is Æßææäææäææäæ on Kel'Thuzad, armory link is http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/kelthuzad/%c3%86%c3%9f%c3%a6%c3%a6%c3%a4%c3%a6%c3%a6%c3%a4%c3%a6%c3%a6%c3%a4%c3%a6/simpleVusin10 Aug 15, 2012
Aug 15, 2012 Dungeon situations: newbie edition I just turned 85 and started doing 5 man dungeons w/ LFD. I've been doing my best to follow this: http://www.noxxic.com/wow/pve/mage/fire/dps-rotation-and-cooldowns Questions about a few situations that come up: 1. Group of, say, 3-5 mobs. Not a boss, but not a whole bunch of little guys that will go down w/ a little AOE (or will they???). Tank runs into them, battle begins. What exactly should I be doing in this situation? Should I focus on one of them and when they are dead, go to the next one? Try to spread AOE or DoTs (without drawing threat)? Should I be working on the same mob, or different mobs than the other people? Also, how do you know which one the tank is targeting? 2. Time warp: a few times someone asked me to use this at a specific time in a boss fight. What situations should I use this in? Do you warn people first, or just go for it? A while ago, I read a thread about derping people have seen in dungeons where someone was like, "Once this clueless mage used Time Warp while I was _____. Can you believe it?!" Does anyone know what that thing might be, heh heh? 3. CC. I have not used this at all yet in a dungeon yet. If someone were to ask me to CC someone, generally, what spell would they want me to use for non polymorphable mobs? What situations should I take it on myself to CC? 4. Are there any mana increasing things that work while moving? Thanks in advance!Fainne3 Aug 15, 2012
Aug 15, 2012 [PvE] Frost Mage Guide - 4.1 UPDATE: Once Mists comes out and I do some raiding and testing, I will be doing a thorough overhaul of this guide to match the massive changes the expansion has provided. I can tell you now that with the exception of using FFB, Ice Lance, Frostbolt, and your Elemental, virtually everything else has been changed. Also refer to Critrocket's own personal guide which includes all of this information in more detail and uses imagery: http://frostpve.blogspot.com 1. Talents 2. Glyphs 3. Stat Priorities/Gear 4. Enchanting 5. Gemming 6. Professions 7. Single Target Rotation 8. AoE Rotation 1. Talents For frost, there is really only one main way to spec your tree, but there are a few optional talents that you can put points into based on your situation/preference http://www.wowhead.com/talent#o0bZfcZffMMsuszRo. These are the optional PvE talents: Reactive Barrier - Although having only 1/2 into this talent means that there's a 50% chance it will do nothing, once you get past 50% the chance dramatically rises to points where it's almost 100%. Strongly Suggested Icy Shards - Due to the nature of the application involving the blizzard slow (there is a delay on the slow until it's applied) it is not as good as it seems. But, i've learned recently that having 1/2 in this means that Blizzard will proc BF and FoF, which makes this talent amazingly better. It almost guarantees max procs when casted upon a lot of targets. Strongly Suggested. As for the 2/2, the slow in 1/2 is utterly worthless, but the 40% in 2/2 is pretty awesome. Enduring Winter - Due to the amount of frostbolt's you cast within the duration of Replenishment on average, only the 1 point is needed. The amount of uptime you get with Molten Armor from the extra 7% reduction is extremely negligible. The main reason you will see this in a lot of frost PvE builds is simply a lack of good talents to go to. Important: With the higher crit values, there are now two ways frost mages are dealing with mana. The first option is to achieve soft cap (roughly 22% including flask/feast/stat buff/5% buff/5% debuff) and run mage armor full-time. I highly recommend this option as it allows you to completely forget your mana, which in turn allows you to perform your rotation better and increase your raid awareness. The other option is to achieve 30% crit fully raid buffed (whatever that may entitle. But as a frost mage in a PvE setting, having full crit bonuses is virtually imperative.) and run molten armor. Doing this requires the use of evocation, mana gems, and for most fights definitely armor switching (going to mage armor at like 25-30% mana and switching back to molten at the appropriate time) 2. Glyphs Starting off as a frost mage, these are the glyphs i would recommend: Prime: Glyph of Frostfire ( The 15% damage buff is huge considering you will mainly crit with it - if you put up permafrost and have this glyph, it still will not slow) Glyph of Frostbolt Glyph of Deep Freeze Major: Glyph of Blink Glyph of Evocation (A self heal, must have) Glyph of Ice Barrier (Very helpful to your healers in various fights) Minor: Glyph of Conjuring Optional (I personally like Glyph of Armors) Optional (I personally like Glyph of Slow Fall) 3. Stat Priorities/Gear As with all casters, your main and most important stat will always be Intellect. It directly gives you spellpower, mana, and critical strike chance. Although SimC and things like it give different results depending on gear, these are the normal stat priorities for frost: Int Hit to cap (17%, or 16% for draenei) Crit until soft cap (33%) Haste/Mastery Crit after soft cap Remember that these shift (mainly haste/mastery)Switch686 Aug 15, 2012
Aug 15, 2012 FireMLS vs FrostMLS I really want to play fire in my 3s comp that I'm just now starting, and wondering what you guy's (grammar?) opinions are on Frost vs Fire. I feel like, as a whole, Fire will be extremely viable here due to UA. Problem is, I feel like i will get focused and my r-sham is definitely the weakest link on our team. Due to that and a few other reasons, I'm still holding back going fire TL:DR, Running MLS, what are advantages of Fire vs Frost and vice versa?Exclesior74 Aug 15, 2012
Aug 15, 2012 Wands? Only wands?! All my staves get rendered useless I roll a class that can use them? Did my mage forget how to swing a 2h stick with the discovering of some new Island populated by Jack Black Pandas? Why do I get stuck with wands? Wand using casters makes me think of Diablo III Wizards. Diablo III is bad, and I do NOT want to be reminded the game exists. Please let me keep my staves. That or let me use 2H swords. One cool item for another.Testaburger4 Aug 15, 2012
Aug 15, 2012 Am I Amazing or Just Overpowered? Okay, so here's the deal. I've played WoW since 2004, and I've almost always just exclusively to non-casting classes (Rogue, Pally, Kitty Druid, Hunter, ect.). I got bored with all the other 85s and decided to try a new type of class, the infamous mage. Well, I noticed that around level 40 I was just decimating everything in comparison to others. Sure, I used to have some low points on my DPS meter if I didn't get my Hot Streak procs, but most of the time (and now every time) I get some many procs I don't know what to do with them all. For example, in dungeons I find myself at the top of the meters, except on heavy AoE dungeons where the tank tops the meters just because he's hitting more targets. However, when it comes to single-target DPS I find myself literally doubling the 2nd highest DPS. In the late 50s I was even pulling between 1.2k - 1.4k DPS and between 50%-60% of overall damage on boss fights. To boost my epeen even more, a tank recently went AFK in a Hellfire Ramparts run and I pulled 4 elites on accident and solo'd all 4 of them at the same time by kiting. So, my question is to you more experienced mages: Am I amazing and super OG, or am I just average and super OP?Alixer7 Aug 15, 2012
Aug 15, 2012 Best Mage Talents Just started with a Night Elf Mage, however I'm at lvl 11 and I wanted to know which are the best Mages talents and the 2 best professions?Soldiir5 Aug 15, 2012
Aug 14, 2012 Fire Mage PVE weap I currently have two weapons Ti'tahk, the Steps of Time and Rathrak, the Poisonous Mind + Cataclysmic Gladiator's Endgame (pvp offhand haven't found an equivalent pve above ilvl 376) Equipping the dagger/off gives a slight edge for spellpower with the offhand enchant. My stats: 10206 total SP and a small boost in crit compared to 10189 SP with the staff. It sounds better to use the dagger/off BUT is the haste proc with the staff worth it? Enough to give another dot tick perhaps? I just got the dagger so I haven't had much chance to test dps meters yet, I thought I'd ask the forums opinions first.Shurakaii9 Aug 14, 2012
Aug 14, 2012 Macros and Addons for mages? Just curious as to which addons and macros you guys recommend. Besides Rawr.Ryros3 Aug 14, 2012
Aug 14, 2012 How are Arcane Mages going to be in MoP? Have not really had time to read up on it, would be helpful if you could tell me a few ups and downs.Mattisnice5 Aug 14, 2012
Aug 14, 2012 How much dps should i be doing? I am a 394 Arcane mage, how much dps should I be pulling? Because I always feel like I am doing low dps.Mattisnice13 Aug 14, 2012
Aug 14, 2012 Mage survivability? Before this hopefully concise post was here, a monumental bulwark of b!tching stood here that would likely fill the hearts of the most bored and determined of men with "omg tldr". I assure you that it covered more than you would care to read. Pretty much, what do I do as a Mage to take damage without dying (In scenarios without a healer)... Just run away and spam weak absorb shields on myself? Does my gear need to be even better? I really do like my Frost Mage, but this is what frustrates me most about it (besides how useless I feel in mage/heal vs dps/heal 2's.) Edit: I mean surviving vs DoT casters and DK's... probably should have specified that.Kolesnik1 Aug 14, 2012
Aug 14, 2012 Portal Roulette the Game Where Everybody Wins Except for that poor sap who gets exodar :(Sin1 Aug 14, 2012
Aug 14, 2012 Frost DKs What can I do to stop their madness? Is there anything?Evilzoidberg8 Aug 14, 2012
Aug 14, 2012 Best spec? So I've got a 41 Mage, but im thinking of respecing. Whats the best for PvE?Zivalenn4 Aug 14, 2012
Aug 14, 2012 frost mage pet control My water elemental tends to keep casting his frostbolt when i cast his FREEZE spell. thus interupting it. i made a macro to put pet on passive then cast the FREEZE but that leaves him on passive and i lose dps do to downtime till i reach and click assist again. was wondering if anyone knew a macro to get the pet to drop target,then cast FREEZE, then target my target and begin attacking again. any help in this matter would be most appreciated.Icelynn4 Aug 14, 2012
Aug 14, 2012 frost mage improvement casting deep freeze on your pet should turn him into an ice elemental, with increased hp and tanking abilities, temporarily, until he melts back into a water elemental.Positive15 Aug 14, 2012
Aug 14, 2012 Xiunnnnnnnn are you sticking with frost in MoP? I know you are a hardcore frosty..... I am really digging the changes to fire.Dishmayhem8 Aug 14, 2012
Aug 13, 2012 PvP Fire Mage gearing question I'm relatively new to PvP, especially arena. My main problem is dealing with the Conquest cap and knowing what gear to get with Conquest as opposed to Honor. Currently I have: 1980 Conquest (capped this week) 2734 Honor (and still queuing) 2000 Valor I really would like to get to 18.34% unbuffed Crit (23.34% buffed), so that my Shatters are 100% critical chances. I'm at 4.53% hit chance and 17.15% unbuffed Crit. I have my Conquest hands and Honor chest, and can afford to get Conquest shoulders and Honor pants immediately, or Conquest pants next week (tomorrow). I still have some crafted PvP items, and 378 PvE neck and weapons, and am eligible to purchase Honor weapons. Should I get a VP temporary neck upgrade, Conquest Shoulders, and Honor Pants? Or go for a big Conquest neck upgrade? Armory page is current.Drwholock4 Aug 13, 2012
Aug 13, 2012 Frost PvP: How to beat Rogues and Hunters? They're the classes I'm mainly having trouble with, if anyone could give me pointers that'd be great.Fyxa5 Aug 13, 2012
Aug 13, 2012 DPS Disgrace I have been going through several hour of twilights and icc and constantly I am being told how crappy my dps is. To start out with I know that my gear isn't the best and I believe that is my major factor. My problem is that I am not cranking enough dps to keep the rude people in the game happy. My dps can range from 15k-7k depending on the boss being fought. My rotation is as follows: 1. Scorch till debuff is added. 2. Flame Orb 3. Living bomb 4. Fireball 5. Flame Strike 6. Combustion 7. Spam fireball till living bomb needs refreshed or pyroblast/flame strike procs. I know somewhere in here I am messing up. I asked my guild about my dps and they said I am doing well for my item level [371]. Can someone please telling me what I am doing wrong?Ríngmaster22 Aug 13, 2012
Aug 13, 2012 Opening on a boss as fire I have gone whole fights without getting a single Hot Streak proc (hurting Combustion), and have started to open against bosses with a hard-cast Pyroblast. I wonder if this is optimal? I tend to open with this: Pyro > LB > and then FB until I get a crit > Combust That way, my Combust is usable. If I get a crit, I cast another spell to fish for the Hot Streak, but often that doesn't happen, so my Combust is LB, Pyro, and a single-crit-ignite. Thoughts on this? Don't tell me to go Arcane, please! Fire > Arcane for AoE, as we all know. Edit: This is while leveling, mind you, I'm only 73 currently.Bhavana16 Aug 13, 2012
Aug 13, 2012 Which trinket should i be using? I cannot decide between the two trinkets that i am using. They are basically opposites of each other but which one benefits me more? I only want to wear one while having the freedom trinket in the other slot. Any suggestions?Tigrex3 Aug 13, 2012
Aug 13, 2012 Mage fire on PVP(all DOTs can be dispelled) Hello friends, I have been observing fire mages in PvP, and noticed the disadvantage that makes fire mages do not compare with the frost mages ... All of DOTs can be dispelled ... Since the damage from the fire mage is basically the DOTs, that spoils the gameplay much when he falls into a fight with a healer. So here's a hint to solve this problem, put a trigger to blow the living bomb when it is dispelled, it will discourage spamming healers to dispel DOTs in the Magi. I think also that the combustion should not be dispelled, it is one of the main skills a magician and has a large cooldown. Obs: Guys, English is not my primary language so i used google translator for write this post... then i ask a little patience about all the grammar errors, and please Mages, comment a lot so Blizzard can take this notice. Thank you all. =]Charlieshen26 Aug 13, 2012
Aug 13, 2012 Transmog Help I was looking to make this set for transmog: http://www.wowhead.com/compare?items=43972:71227:49801:39254:43969:54478:71272:71275#. but got caught at mentle of cleansing flame. Its priest only. So is there any substitute that would match well with the set? Id' appreciate some help. thank you.Ransure2 Aug 13, 2012
Aug 13, 2012 Tired of the PVP skill-wall I'm tired of getting into battlegrounds and being stomped, regardless of gear, class, or level. It is clearly a skill problem. I'm not gonna ask anyone to make me into a pvp dualmaster or anything, but I want some basic tips on how to survive in battlegrounds without being instant-free honor. Every time before this that I've made a dedicated effort to get into pvp, I get flattened so bad I get turned off. And this is a bummer, since some of my favorite gear is pvp. There are some things I've learned, like not running around the middle, defend towers, and stay in groups, but even in groups I can't meaningfully contribute, either due to getting killed first or simply not doing any damage. So please, give me some advice! I really need it.Devín24 Aug 13, 2012
Aug 12, 2012 need help on my mage... my dps is not that high... ive done reforging to haste but i think i have to much.. i really just need a lot of help.Gankgreen11 Aug 12, 2012
Aug 12, 2012 Water Elemental not attacking,assisting Hi - Been playing 5 years. Last two days problem came up that seems unfixable. Water Elemental Pet on my Frost Mage no longer responds to the attack button, or the assist button, or the defend button. FOLLOW still works. So does the MOVE command. So does (Thank God) the pet's Frost Nova. But it no longer will assist or attack. Pressing Waterbolt and Assist USED to have the pet attack automatically anyone I attacked. No more. I'm HOPING there's one simple setting I've accidentally changed . . . Appreciate any help. Thx, Skyclear PS No macros. Removing addons does not help. Deleted WTF, Cache, Interface and reloaded. None of this helpsSkyclear4 Aug 12, 2012
Aug 12, 2012 MoP: Mages, and Locks, and Shammy's, oh my! I wanted to have 1 main melee (fury warrior no matter what :3); and 1 main caster. I've been reading about all the changes to the classes, but it's overwhelming. So for all the locks, mages, and elemental shamans out there. How do you find your classes in MoP beta?Stormrise1 Aug 12, 2012
Aug 12, 2012 Need Fire Mage Help So, i 'm a fire mage and my dps is just bad. Like 30k on HM yor and 35k on reg Madness bad. I think i know the rotation/stat priority and all that but i must be doing something wrong. For example, on Ulraxion i don't get any pyroblast procs until like halfway through the fight, or on the other hand i get great procs but only end up doing about 33k. Here is my guilds' most recent Yor kill: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/52431q5vz6ipjicz/sum/damageDone/?s=8180&e=8489 Even during the black phase, by the time i got a decent ignite for combustion all the adds were dead. So do i just have bad rng or wrong stats or is there something else i'm doing wrong? If you have any information that could help me it would be greatly appreciated.Iandis2 Aug 12, 2012
Aug 12, 2012 Arcane Dot question in Mists I have a question about nether tempest one the patch hits and mists comes out. Will it be more lucrative to place it on your main target and continue a single target rotation, or should I dot everything up and then begin rotation? If anyone has any ideas, that would be great!Catacyst4 Aug 12, 2012
Aug 12, 2012 How close will we be? For instance HYorsajh, fire top 100 ranges from 60k-96k, arcane ranges from 43k-54k, frost is actually pretty close to arcane. I do know every raid is different, comp, buffs, etc, but that really shouldnt account for a 90% increase. I also know its nerfed content, and that shouldnt account for a 90% increase. With the new changes in MoP are we going to be closer for most fights? and if so, are the other classes that do insane'o damage on certain fights going to be brought down along with the fire mages? The whole " we're ok with dot classes doing more damage on certain fights" thing sends me up the wall. They try and justify it with a some arbitrary percentage like 5-6%, but obviously they failed miserably in DS. I hope things are adjusted much closer this next go'round.Batar15 Aug 12, 2012
Aug 12, 2012 I love playing as a mage So I rolled a mage that I am posting on and I absolutely love it. I played for years as a paladin, but I just really really love playing my mage now. I am thinking about making the switch. I have a couple of other serious alts, and some semi serious since I started playing but none is more cool than this one. I am a fire mage and secondary arcane, which I understand but haven't played. Point of the thread? I love mages!!!Dancing24 Aug 12, 2012
Aug 11, 2012 Cartoonz beta duels It's nice to see it in action, after so much theorizing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-tPSgLrL4o&feature=g-all-uDish1 Aug 11, 2012
Aug 11, 2012 WUDDUP MAGES. Hello :D I'm a pirate. I do pirate things. And mages stuff too. Mages are pretty cool too I guess, but I prefer I pirate things. But mages are pretty cool I guess. Yeah.Yanzina17 Aug 11, 2012
Aug 11, 2012 lol way wrong forumDishcharge11 Aug 11, 2012
Aug 11, 2012 Best Leveling Spec I am sure they're all viable, and play style is probably taken into a count as well, but what is the best leveling spec? I am going to be power leveling a Mage in the next upcoming days, and want to be as efficient as possible. Also, any leveling tips will be great appreciated. Thanks.Novoulx12 Aug 11, 2012