Games, Gaming and Hardware

Aug 9 Anyone play on the new Macbook Pro? I was curious. Does it play ok? I love Macbooks and really want another one.Athenaleigh12 Aug 9
Aug 9 World of Warcraft System Requirements Sup boys got a easy question here, can i play in settings 5 or 6 with recommended specifications for Legion?Arleek4 Aug 9
Aug 9 Future WoW Rig Hello fellow players! I've recently returned after a long hiatus. So far the game has aged magnificently. I'm currently playing in my late '13 Macbook Pro (13-inch). So far my plan is to continue to play there while I quest through the new world. My question to you is, what would be a good budget to keep in mind for a custom PC mainly to play WoW in (PVE and PVP). I'm not looking for 4k rigs, just a good built for Ultra visuals in Wow. I might also play Diablo 3, SWTOR and oldies. I don't plan to play AAA games there, that's why I bought my PS4 for. I'm planning to build this rig by the end of the year, hopefully when the videocard inflation goes down. Thanks!Brossann7 Aug 9
Aug 8 Leveling in FF14 VS WoW Before I begin I want to note a few things: - This is not which is better, both are amazing games. - This is an off topic-ish discussion but it does follow the TOS to my knowledge and discusses WoW. - This is as indifferent and logical as possible and not some blabbery of how one or the other is so much more is amazing than the other. - I have played WoW for 2 years and I've started leveling on FF14 and will update this. - This only has theories about endgame but I will update this or make a new forum to include it once I get there in Final Fantasy 14 however, I've gotten very far into endgame in Legion. Now with this in mind let me begin: Both games as I said are amazing and have their cons and pros, and I personally have strongly wondered which is better for me and not in general because news flash, neither is. It depends on you. A very quick summary of the cons and pros of each for those who dont like to read. WoW: Story 9/10 FF14: Story 11/10 Walking/waiting while leveling annoyance: (Higher is worse.) WoW: 10/10 DPS Dungeon ques while leveling on average: 20-40 minutes FF14: 1/10 (There almost is none.) DPS Dungeon ques while leveling on average: 15 minutes tops no matter your level. 8 minutes on average. The rest below is very long and detailed due to the very technical nature however, you can easily see my rating for each. You may skip below if you feel content with what i've shared. Graphics: WoW: 8/10 though it may be hardware intensive for some, this is often because of the extra rendered irrelevant and barely noticeable pixelation. Since they cannot completely refine the graphics engine because they'd have to tear it apart, they simply add more flora, render the pixelation more, and refine the edges. Like MSAA. This does not really improve graphics too noticeably and uses a ton of graphics processing power for mostly irrelevant stuff. FF14: 10/10 with a completely refined and updated graphics engine that can last like WoW for decades, and also with the debatably annoying conjunctions set as parts of a mini zone, (For instance, if you want to go to a different zone, it has to load it, and you are in a sense, in a bunch of mini zones that have to constantly be loaded and can be very annoying if you dont have at least an Hybrid Hard Drive.) If you have an SSD the loading time is at most 5 seconds and not a problem. Since their graphics engine is updated, it is able to create flora, characters, equipment, etc with a graphics rendering system that is less intensive and much more aesthetically pleasing. Also, due to the small mini-zones and many loading screens, they are able to enhance their graphics dramatically without it taking too much of a hit on your computer, making Final Fantasy not only easier on weaker GPUs but also more aesthetically pleasing. For instance, on the lowest settings it can run at 60 fps on a very weak 200 dollar laptop and still look amazingly beautiful. On the other hand, on a 200 dollar laptop for WoW you'll find you cannot run at 60 FPS on the lowest settings, you'd be lucky to get 30 and it looks terrible, this is due to technical stuff that you probably wont understand. However, keep this in mind, just because your graphics card is being used more intensively doesn't mean it's going to be more aesthetically pleasing. There are many factors to this such as how the game's engine is rendering its graphics and how updated the game's engine is and if the engine is brand new or not. WoWs engine as you know is very, very old, to make up for this, they render graphics at a much higher rate which is very GPU intensive and not very aesthetically pleasing compaired to other much newer engines. However, WoW has done an amazing job keeping their engine as 'brand new' looking as possible. Endgame: To be continued, I am currently leveling in Final Fantasy and I know this is a very, very big deal and from my research, I can conclude theoretically that the PVE in FF14 is better but the PVP is in beta stage kind of mediocre. However, PVP and PVE in WoW are very well done and though PVE in WoW may not be as good, the PVP makes up for it. So if you like PVP go to WoW, its your endgame... umm game. Go to FF14 for PVE. If you like both PVE and PVP? Well both might just be for you. The PVP in FF14 may be in its beginning stages, but that doesn't mean it's bad. Long explaination: WoW: Story: It completely feels optional. Though it may feel optional, lately with Legion it has made you slowly begin to enjoy the story sooo much more. The story is in depth if you choose to read it but honestly, it may be in depth, it is often repeated as you will find many characters referenced in long past expansions. Which makes it feel... Well, unnecessary to follow. FF14: Story: 10/10 and completely feels necessary, though it absolutely isn't. There is a lot of reading in the story and a lot of very colorful side quests that will feel very meaningful and give many characters that seem irrelevant, personalities. The whole game feels so alive as you do quests and all the characters will have a personal effect on you. For me when I saw some creatures in trouble and as they gave me their quests, I began to really enjoy hearing their stories and felt an affection for them, especially the Sylphs, adorable creatures I might add. Keep in mind, if you do not like reading a lot then I'd rate this a 2/10 for you. Because of how strongly you will feel to read this beautiful story and believe me, it's worth it. It's like reading a book that you are inside. Walking/waiting simulator: Yes, this is a very, very huge factor, nobody likes mindlessly walking, especially when leveling, nor does anyone like standing around doing nothing waiting for ques. WoW: Very bad at walking/waiting simulation while leveling. Rating: 2/10 Que times are often 20-40 minutes for DPS. Quests take a loooong time to do, especially for first timers, and there is a ton of walking. You'll even sometimes find yourself lost trying to get to a certain area as a first timer sometimes spending hours figuring out how to get there only to have leveled beyond that area doing/waiting for dungeons by the time you figured it out. Final Fantasy 14: Amazing and very nicely done. Rating: 11/10 Very, very little walking, you can teleport instantly to your quests which takes seconds if you have an SSD. Loading screens can be annoying if you have an HD but still lots of less walking and waiting. Que times for DPS is at max 15 minutes no matter your level due to level syncing and only needing 2 DPS and shorter dungeons. FF14 has fixed a lot of leveling problems WoW had with waiting or walking around boringly which nobody rationally likes. At 20 you get a mount which makes things even faster, you absolutely will not be walking around and looking for your quest, nor mindlessly doing something while questing. It all feels amazing and story driven and very, very little waiting. I've not waited or walked for more than 2 minutes so far and I'm pretty far in. On the other hand with WoW i've spend over 2 hours just trying to find a !@#$ing area. Or I've spent on average just walking 10 minutes around for questing. Note: Do only the main quest, do not do side quests on your first run in FF14. The main quest is for leveling your first job, the side quests are for leveling the others. You'll get to them, be patient. Oh and they are not some boring side quests too, at least not generally. Level Syncing: In Final Fantasy virtually everything meaningful can be level synced and still make your ilevel not feel irrelevant. You'll find if you have a higher ilevel or a lot of rare gear, you will do better than those you synced with that has worse gear. Best part is the level syncing is well done and works on virtually everything, however, it also makes the game a bit grindy, easy, and tedious. Dying or having a challenge is very minimal. Rating: 6/10 In World of Warcraft only the Broken Isles can be level synced and that is even done better, you will find that having a higher ilevel is a huge deal and even with a good ilevel as you level, you will find yourself in many challenging situations if you are careless and you will die. It will happen. At this stage you should have a challenge however so you can learn how to do heroic raids/mythic keystone dungeons. Also it helps you to understand why you shouldn't PULL THAT %^-*ING SEAGULL OR BREAK THAT !@#$ING EGG YOU SON OF A- *Ehem* excuse me for that outburst. Rating: 10/10 So keeping this all in mind which is better in general for leveling? Neither, both are good depending on who you are. However, if you like PVE and only PVE Final Fantasy is probably for you. Also, believe me, you will love not having to make multiple characters, also, leveling is a lot faster in FF14 even with the heirlooms and such in WoW. This is because of the faster que times, level syncing, faster quest completions, and you also get exp boost equipment which games up to around 70 percent (I think) and in this game that's huge. In my honest and completely opinionated opinion, I think leveling in Final Fantasy 14 is waaaay better in so many ways than WoW. They seem to have just said, "What is WoW doing wrong and how can we do it better." and they did indeed do it better. Leveling wise at least. I feel like this game so far at first look is so much better than WoW. I remember 4 years ago when I first started WoW. The leveling was just annoying, so annoying I nearly quit but here... it's so amazing. Unlike in WoW, I don't want to leveling in this game to end or at least the quests, they are just so in depth. Also, the community in FF14 is very, very kind. Way kinder than WoW, I'm sorry but this is just plainly true simply because in FF14 you can get rewarded for being kind, you get mounts, pets, and many other things with player commendations. You get these at the end of a raid/dungeon. They mean a lot. However, being kind in WoW gives you absolutely no reward and often just winds up getting you trolled. Especially in high level Raids or Dungeons. People are afraid to speak in raids because they dont want to get kicked because we all know that's all it takes. Thanks to assistant raid leaders. Also, on that note, it's sooo easy to be mean or to kick someone in WoW. Assistant raid leaders are often given to all the tanks or the entire party especially in guild runs so if a single person doesn't like you even slightly they can kick you whenever they want, so let's say you are on the last boss and call out someone who wasn't doing what they should who was a tank and wiped us, well surprise! That guys just kicked you and now you gotta either do an entire raid over or find one on the last boss like you, enjoy. On the other hand, while leveling in FF14 I've never come accross this problem but admittedly i've yet to do high level raids or dungeons. However, I have leveled 4 alts and I know what it's like to level. Lets just say FF14 certainly has a nicer community. Well that's my long drawn out input on this matter, thanks if you read all this, I really hope this does make someone decide to try out FF14 because I assure you, you wont regret it if you give it a decent chance.Jocundbeast78 Aug 8
Aug 8 Need a new Mac, Any thoughts on the min reqs? Need a new laptop, I am looking for the minimum recommended MacBook to buy that would support WOW. Any thoughts? Once I have my WOW needs covered, I am sure the laptop would do well with any other actions on my mac... Please let me know what you think... MacBook Air, Pro, regular???? Minimum HDD and RAM.... how about the processor? Thank you for your recommendationsMythbras37 Aug 8
Aug 7 Is Ryzen 3 even relevant? So back story. My original 1700x and x370 Pro have been sitting dormant for some time now. The 1700x runs too high of voltage for stock speeds and has a bad sensor. The x370 doesn't allow for manual voltage adjustments. After speaking with both AMD and Asus for a few hours it's been decided that both need to be replaced. So I drove 2.5 hours to Microcenter to exchange them since I bought the extended warranty. To my surprise I received full credit to purchase anything I'd like. Well I purchased a GTX 1060, a case, PSU, SSD+HDD a week prior to sell the ryzen system. But I decided to go a different route. With the credit+$100 I purchased a Ryzen 3 1200, Ryzen 5 1600, Intel Core I3-7100 and a Pentium G4560 with an Asus B350M-A and ASrock B250M Pro 4 motherboard. I decided since I wanted to do an I3 vs R3 video this was the perfect time. But does the Ryzen 3 really have it's place? It's super hard to benchmark WoW other than fraps+Flight path, but would this interest anyone to see? A few nonWoW benchmarks for Ryzen 3: How to OC on Ryzen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=netcKTHSYBQ Ryzen OC vs I3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XA4LXzcbKcI Ryzen vs I3 w/ GTX 1060: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJ3gNqLoJSISnaeb11 Aug 7
Aug 7 Need to vent re: dodgy hardware Just need to vent a bit, and I'm sure there are people here who can understand, relate and perhaps even take heed of situation. A couple of months ago I purchased two USB hubs. MBeat branded 7-port jobs (4 USB3 + 3 USB2), for those playing at home. Pretty much it was for external drivers - both hard and optical - because I'm running short of ports and like to keep a few open just in case (you never know what goodies you're going to buy next). Ever since I put them into service my system has been unstable. And I mean really unstable - programs would CTD almost at random, and I was getting about one BSOD per day. Trying to access the external drives was also a crapshoot, as they didn't really like to connect or stay connected. I suppose the warning signs are all there but since I'd also done a BIOS update, a few driver updates and installed a new internal HDD I was trying to sort out which of those was actually responsible. Eventually, after eliminating the other possibilities as best I could, I decided to crack open the hubs and take a look inside. I was expecting dry and/or broken joints given the drop-outs, but that was the least of my problems. I discovered that both had small splatters of solder on parts of the PCB, what looked like tiny little strings of solder between some of the pins (they could have been anything, though) - and one of the ports actually had a leg bent across, bridging two pins! It's that last part that has me most annoyed. Turns out the two pins shorting against each other were pins 1 and 9 of a USB3.0 port. That's VBUS and StdA_SSRX+ or, more importantly, +5VDC straight into one of the data signal lines (which shouldn't ever see more than about 0.5VDC). This would definitely account for the instability, so being who I am I elected to fix it - bent the pin back straight, cleaned it all up and put it back together. Ed: If you're wondering whether it's possible I could have bent the pin myself when opening it, looking at the solder of the two pins makes it clear it's been like that since it was manufactured. The pin that was bent now has a small void in the solder since I straightened it out, and the one it was contacting on has a cylindrical indentation where the bent pin was heated while in contact with it. Of course that wasn't going to be the end of it. Even after doing that it was still flakey, so I started troubleshooting further. Turns out that I now have one port on my rig which can no longer function as USB3, one (on the same controller) which can only do so unreliably, and one of my external HDD enclosures also doesn't operate as USB3 anymore. I suspect the USB3 portion of that hub is also had it, but I don't have the patience with them to test it. Australia fortunately does have various consumer protection laws, and one of those covers consequential losses, but it remains to be seen whether anything actually comes of that. After all, I did pull them open and fixed the obvious portion of issue (though you can see evidence of what I fixed quite easily under a magnifying glass). So that's what I'm going to be spending tomorrow doing - talking to someone who probably doesn't understand half of the problem (or at least why it involves them), trying to sort out reparations for a spiked HDD enclosure and motherboard, together with a refund for two hubs (like hell I'm keeping the other one). Wheeee! PS On the plus side, at least it wasn't one of the on-die USB controllers that went, otherwise they'd be paying for a new CPU as well. And my system has been rock solid since I unplugged that thing.Asterchades4 Aug 7
Aug 7 Are You Buying Destiny 2? a.k.a. Rooty Tooty Point and Shooty: MMO-lite Edition What Class & Subclass are you interested in? I'm also curious if anyone has played the beta on the console, what your thoughts are so far on the game are. I am very excited that it is coming to PC, I attempted playing it on the console but playing a shooter with a controller did not jive with me at all.Taigu7 Aug 7
Aug 6 Destiny 2 Will It Kill WoW? The clouds have parted and from the bright heavens, a new WoW Killer has been named! Destiny 2! The prophecy shall be fulfilled. "and lo, thine greatest foe has been born! Born not from without but from within! Within thine own family! And thou hast created thine downfall from hubris. For the bigger thine are, the hardest thou shalt fall" - M0mSl4y3R69 Im sorry, Im very bored.Hockeybalboa22 Aug 6
Aug 6 Struggling to run Ultra settings I built my PC myself, and have been constantly upgrading it to get the highest FPS and cleanest gameplay while raiding and doing mythic +. But for some reason I still am barely pushing 60fps at most on ultra. What is up with my specs that is holding me back? AMD FX(tm)-9590 Eight-Core Processor GeForce GTX 1070 32 Gb RAM GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 Thermaltake SMART Series SP-750PCBUS 750W ATBigolfluffer14 Aug 6
Aug 6 Hmmm! SSD and defragging. I believed in the hype that 100% of the time you should never defrag a solid state drive. But one day a customers laptop with a 233 gig SSD and 16 gig of ram was acting funny. He had a laptop with 3 monitors and they would turn on after 4 minutes when the boot process finishes. So I cleaned up the trash and the monitors came on under 3 minutes. So I then defragged the drive fully then rebooted. After booting into OS the delay was 100% gone and straight to desktop with all monitors showing no lag. So indeed you do need to defrag laptops that use shared memory with the on board video card! It performs as new now. Just a nice pc performance tip for you guys!Dextter23 Aug 6
Aug 6 Coffee Lake NOT compatible with z270 https://mobile.twitter.com/ASRockInfo/status/891872117972545537 (Edit: as of recently this tweet got deleted Because Intel got pissed off for ASrock talking about this) https://www.forbes.com/sites/antonyleather/2017/08/02/intels-coffee-lake-cpus-not-compatible-with-z270-motherboards-says-asrock/ From ASrock themselves. I was right about what I said many months ago. It was highly likely this was going to happen.You19 Aug 6
Aug 6 Are old Blizz games ever going to be optimized? [Mod Note] Moving to Games, Gaming and Hardware Most people know what i'm talking about... While technically supporting up to 6-cores, the majority of the workload, and fps, is tied mostly to a single core. For example, I have an Intel i7 6700K processor, overclocked to 4.7GHz (I know WoW is supposed to not work well with OC'd processors, whatever... runs better than it did without the OC) I also play at 7, aka not anywhere near max settings, at 3440x1440, no AA, render quality at 100%. I usually can get 100fps wherever I'm at, except in raids, in cities, etc. (up to 200fps really if the CPU load isn't TOO high.) Starcraft II looks the same but has the great benefit of not being nearly as CPU intensive. I can usually stay around 90-100fps on max settings in that (up to about 200 as well if the CPU isn't under too much strain), but if my army gets too big, DROP. When I get my armies set up and start taking down enemy bases, my avg. fps is around 70. Which is odd because my avg fps in Battlefield 1, and immensely more intensive game, is about 110 (minimum 70 and that's ALL with the GPU at 99% util.) So really the CPU never even gets fully used there. But that's a well-optimized game and uses all cores/threads equally.... The problem is I have a 4-core/8-thread processor and the usage looks like this in WoW raids, cities, playing SCII, etc.; One core: up to 100% utilization at times, usually over 80% 3 other cores: 30-40% utilization, TOPS. all 4 threads :10-20% background utilization It's even worse for people who have 6-core/12-thread or more processors, which tend to have much lower single core speeds. So what are the plans, if any, to fix this?? There's no reason people with $300-$500 CPU's should have any trouble running these games. It's even a little funny because a $500 RyZen 1800x (8-core/16-thread) gets outperformed by a $300 i7 6700k, when in reality, it should stomp me into dust, having twice as many cores/threads and being able to turbo up to 4.0GHz, it almost never actually does outperform mine but that's another story, lol. Which brings up another important point; I can't even imagine the tough time that people with SLOWER CPU's are having. If i'm having trouble with my CPU, how are people with duo-core 3.0GHz processors doing? The game is probably unplayable in raids. Obviously if Blizzard wants to keep some of their games going, they're going to need to get with the times and start optimizing games for usage with higher core-count processors. The Intel 8th Gen is launching with 6-core processor i5's and i7's. That means that even quad-cores are becoming outdated. So it really seems dumb that games that still have millions of followers worldwide can't even properly utilize modern technology. Just my two cents.Epicfailsham39 Aug 6
Aug 6 Need recs for a gaming keyboard If it's a great keyboard I don't care about costs. I like clicky mechanical ones, noise doesn't bother me. Ideally it'd be something durable that lasts a long while. I used to have a Blackwidow but it bit the dust today thanks to a cat + water cup related incident.Shengyi12 Aug 6
Aug 6 PC Build Recommendation Hi everyone, Looking for a PC build recommendation. Want to run WoW on max settings, while watching YouTube / browsing internet on another screen. Price range is about $1200-$1500 CAD. I do not need any peripherals. Thanks!Magicßrian6 Aug 6
Aug 5 spec question Looking for new laptop to play on, can this handle legion even on low graphics? I know the processor speed is only 2.7 and I was told it's not that great of speed but my husband plays on an alienware and his is 2.5 and he raids lol I don't :) 15.6" Laptop - (Processor Model) AMD A12-Series (Graphics Processing Unit/GPU) AMD Radeon R7 (RAM) 8GB (Graphics Card) Intel HD Graphics 620 1TB Hard Drive (processor speed) 2.7GHz (Hard Drive RPM) 5400 revolutions per minuteShamnomnom1 Aug 5
Aug 5 What's best for recording WoW? Hello Everyone! I have recently become interested in recording my gameplay of World of Warcraft. I currently use a Mac computer and I am looking for opinions on: What is the best application to use when recording WoW on a Mac? Which type of computer is best for recording WoW, Mac or PC?Zerafina11 Aug 5
Aug 4 Have time for 1 WoW Video I might do that one raid that has a single boss. 2 Minutes fraps test, but I need to figure out the best combo. Below is a list of all of the parts I have available to me. Ryzen 3 1200 Ryzen 5 1600 Ryzen 7 1700 Intel Core I3-7100 Intel Pentium G4560 GPU's GTX 1080 GTX 1060 RX 550 I was thinking about Ryzen OC vs I3 with a 1080 or 1060 at 1080p. Thoughts?Snaeb5 Aug 4
Aug 4 Kaby Lake-x boards..... LOL why?? https://videocardz.com/71656/x299-kabylake-x-only-motherboards-are-here ... I don't know what's worse, that these CPUs exist or these motherboards exist.You12 Aug 4
Aug 3 Guild Wars 2 - Expansion Announcement August 1 confirmed hype train is all set join the fun at on August 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIQo6kQMMHQAevelamue12 Aug 3
Aug 2 8 Button Mice I just got myself a Corsair Sabre, try to assign abilities to button 6~8 but the game doesn't allow it. Does any expert know how to do this? Note: I removed the DPI functions from button 6 and 7, turn them into left and right click for the time being. If I could I'd just make them "empty" buttons but not sure how to do it.Foewinter1 Aug 2
Aug 1 Need graphics card advice. My basic specs are.... RAM - 16GB SSD - 128GB HDD - 1TB Processor - AMD FX - 6300 - Six core Processor, 3500 Mhz I'm going to be buying a new graphics card. My budget is >$200. I feel that this card is the best bang for my buck... MSI GeForce GTX 750 Ti DirectX 12 N750 Ti-2GD5TLP 2GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card I'm just wanting to know if you guys and gals think it would run WoW at 60+ FPS on ultra. If you have any better suggestions please let me know.Gwarvan9 Aug 1
Aug 1 PC Build for 60+ FPS on Ultra for under $700 Please help me! I've been playing WoW for almost 10 years and I have never owned a PC that would run it worth a crap. I finally have about $700 to drop on one. I'm not super computer savvy so can any of you help me build a PC complete with OS for under $700 that will get 60+ fps on ultra?Gwarvan3 Aug 1
Aug 1 Confusing performance I just came back after a long break, and I'm sporting some much nicer hardware than before. Which I'll specify below, and I'm just confused a little as to why I can't keep 60 fps. So at first I cranked everything up, 1080p max everything, even AA and resolution scale 200%, just to see what would happen. That didn't go well, around 40ish FPS average with low dips to 30s, so I decided that was overkill anyway, nobody needs 8x CMAA or whatever the max is. So I took that off and went down to FXAA high and res scale back to 100, and just settled with max settings but not on AA, still in legion areas, low 40s. Weird, and weirder yet, my GPU is only at about 25%, and CPU 30%, so clearly the game isn't using max hardware, and I've got the power, so why doesn't the game run at 60 fps fluid? I also tried view distance 5, shadows lowest, no SSAO, no AA, res scale 100, and got 55 fps in legion areas. :| Hardware: i7 6700 16GB DDR4 2133 GTX 1080 FTW2 Game is installed on an SP900 SSD by adata What're your specs and performance in legion zones?Orlana25 Aug 1
Aug 1 Stopped by my local microcenter... Looking to see what my next build might to replace a still adequate 2500k. They had an OEM i7-6700 for $240 and the Ryzen 1600 for $190 (X costs $220) but low and behold I saw a single i5-7600k for $150 (damaged box but who cares). I also grabbed the GIGABYTE GA-Z270-HD3 for $90. A bit of sticker shock on RAM prices so I may see if they drop anytime soon (I doubt it since they only seem to go up in price. So anyone have any experience with GIGABYTE GA-Z270-HD3 (or one of it's many similar incarnations)? I've built with Gigabyte, Asus, MSI Foxconn, and Asrock and I would place Asrock and Asus ahead for ease of use but I couldn't argue with the price and I have had some good experience with Gigabyte mobo's as well.Lilybugg4 Aug 1
Jul 31 Threadripper 1900X and Ryzen 7 1800X Both are 8c/16t. Do you think AMD is making the same mistake Intel made releasing their Kaby Lake-X CPUs on the x299 platform? Unlike the Kaby Lake-X and the x299 chipset, the 1900X will be able to make use of all the features of its x399 chipset, so it's not an identical issue. I think this poses an interesting question for buyers: how much processing AND I/O do I need?Cürley3 Jul 31
Jul 31 Pentium G4560 vs Ryzen 3 The title is pretty self explanatory. I had started to Frankenstein an older machine with some new parts but keep hitting snags. That said, I've decided to replace the old parts (motherboard, older A10 processor, ram and video card) with new ones. Considering I'm asking about the Pentium G4560 and Ryzen 3, clearly I want to keep the cost of the thing at a minimum. I'm a casual WoW player and I'm not looking for 1080p with ultra settings. So long as it doesn't take me several minutes to change zones or disconnect randomly as happens with my ancient Athlon II, then I'll be happy. So, I suppose my actual question is, would the 50-80 bucks for the Ryzen 3 be more worthwhile or a waste? Note prices are Canadian PCPartPicker part list: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/RhJs4C CPU: AMD - Ryzen 3 1200 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($149.99 @ Memory Express) Motherboard: MSI - B350M GAMING PRO Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($97.99 @ Amazon Canada) Memory: Crucial - 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($69.99 @ DirectCanada) Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB SC GAMING ACX 2.0 Video Card ($192.99 @ Amazon Canada) Total: $510.96 PCPartPicker part list: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/v9BHQV CPU: Intel - Pentium G4560 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($80.00 @ shopRBC) Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-B250M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($89.99 @ NCIX) Memory: Crucial - 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($69.99 @ DirectCanada) Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB SC GAMING ACX 2.0 Video Card ($192.99 @ Amazon Canada) Total: $432.97 Many thanks in advance!Arja28 Jul 31
Jul 31 PC Build Hello everyone, I will be building a gaming pc around christmas time for WoW Legion and any other x-pac that comes out for WoW. I will also be recording and streaming with a 3 screen setup and I would like to run on ultra settings without my PC sounding like a jet engine. Just the PC I would like to keep it around $1k, if anyone can post a build for me that would be great! I haven't bought anything yet but the screens will most likely be around the 24" - 32" range.Ôö3 Jul 31
Jul 31 New build for my Mom My mother's computer is based around a Phenom II X4 and is about 8 years old. It's in a monstrous full tower case she can barely move, sounds like a freight train while running, and is definitely showing its age. I'd like to get her something a bit more manageable but something that will last a while. She uses the computer for Quicken, Excel, Word, and browsing Amazon. Basic widowed old lady use. She's not really all that old, but you get my point. Dad wouldn't dream of getting rid of the monster rig, but unfortunately he passed at the end of March. Anyway, we discussed just getting a laptop, but she hates the way a laptop keyboard feels and really likes the big monitor attached to her existing machine. One of the additional goals we have is to reduce the overall mass of cable clutter. I chose a mini-Itx board with integrated wireless so she'd have one less cable to fiddle with. Dad had lots of external USB devices connected, most of which she has no idea what they do or why they're needed. I expect we're going to get rid of 90% of them. Here are my thoughts for a starting spot. ... I looked at the FD Node 202, but I think I'm going to go with the Focus G Mini. It has lots of ventilation and enough clearance for the Wraith Stealth cooler. I may donate the Wraith Spire cooler I'm no longer using. I plan on overclocking the CPU, but not to a crazy amount. Probably to 3.7 or 3.8.Cürley7 Jul 31
Jul 31 Cheap laptop to play wow My computer crashed and I'm looking to get a new laptop. My price range around $600-$800 max. I don't care about fps as I normally play on low. Shiny cast animations mean nothing to me. Something that will run wow where I can play without getting like 5 fps on low settings. (Yeah my old computer is that bad I had to quit wow). Anybody play on a cheaper laptop have some recommendations. Like I said I don't need a computer to play on ultra, I typically turn all that stuff off anyway. Just something where I can step into a raid and not have huge fps crashes and not play.Varacob1 Jul 31
Jul 31 Permanent Mouse Accel After Playing WoW Again First of all, apologies for this post being all over the place, if anybody who can try to help needs any clarification just say something, I'm pretty frustrated right now over this whole situation due to the lack of a solution thus far. I play on a Scream Finalmouse, and I play on a Mac so I can't download any firmware for it because Mac. The mouse has 4 DPI settings - 400, 800, 1600, 3200. I usually stay on 800 exclusively. I also only played CS:GO until deciding to start up WoW again on the side with my brother. I never had mouse acceleration in CS:GO, even without firmware on the Finalmouse. I plugged it in and played, without acceleration (prior, I used a deathadder and had turned off accleration via razer synapse + smoothmouse. After synapse freaked my computer out after a year, I uninstalled synapse and switched mice). So when I came back to WoW, my mouse felt really slow on 800 DPI, so I played with the sensitivity in game and felt no difference. I then realized I could just up my DPI on the mouse, and did that. So, 1600 for WoW, 800 for CS:GO. I launch CS:GO today and I have crazy acceleration. Nothing changed in my cfg or settings, but have a ton of acceleration. Not only that, but there's acceleration on my mouse for everything now. For the record, I could swipe my mouse pad all the way across as fast as possible (before coming back to WoW) and not even do a full 360 on CS:GO, now I whip around like a tornado. If anybody out there can help, it would be infinitely appreciated, I'm incredibly hamstrung on CS:GO with this much accel.Backsurgeon0 Jul 31
Jul 30 About to get a new computer I'm looking to purchase a new computer after my Dell XPS got the blue screen a few months ago. I was at bestbuy earlier today looking at an ibuypower.. Windows 10 64 bit 3.6 ghz processor Intel core i7 16gb RAM 3.072 gb video memory NVIDEA GeForce GTX 1060 It had a lot of good reviews.. 4.8 stars out of 912 reviewers. What kind of performance should I expect on wow? My old computer performed best at low-medium setting. Thanks in advance for your input.Kudraani7 Jul 30
Jul 30 Alienware yes or no? I'm in the market for a gaming laptop. I was considering Dell/Alienware until I noticed a TREMENDOUS amount of hate for these computers. What gives?? I've owned a Dell XPS desktop years and years ago and remember being overall pleased with it. If not Dell/Alienware what should I get to run and play WoW on? Would a gaming Asus laptop be better? I'm not a tech computer guy; I just want a quality laptop at a fair price that'll offer smooth and seemlees gameplay. (Please don't tell me to get a desktop; I need a laptop for travel reasons and would like to be able to play WoW smoothly with a nice fps and jumpy laggy play while out of town).Verminator107 Jul 30
Jul 29 Building from the ground up Hey all, I was hoping I could get some assistance with putting together a new PC. I have bought new processors and videocards and such in the past, but I have never started from the very beginning, now that I have a good paying job and barely spend much money as it is, I'd like to go all out and buy whatever is needed to get a solid 60fps while playing WoW. I have been clicking around on pcpartpicker.com, but would like advice from people who know way more than I do. I always go to canirunit.com to see specs needed for recommended on WoW, but even with everything recommended, I currently get drops into 30-40fps when I am in places like Suramar or Val'sharah, is there any hardware that can lock in at 60fps? Honestly I am fine with some fps drops during raids or just crowded areas, but I'd like to get as close as I can. I know this is a very generic and broad question, but I am just looking for a good starting place or at least info like "only get components that have x, y, and z." Thank you!Gurahn12 Jul 29
Jul 29 Who wants to see Threadripper on WoW? So this whole week, I opted in for crazy over time, I mean crazy, I feel like I'm half dead after leaving work tonight. Next Friday will be a great pay I'm thinking of grabbing $1000 threadripper when it goes out for sale and x399 gigabyte board and see how it would work for games like WoW. At the same time I think I should just forget about it. Or course I'm expecting similar performance of my 1800x but I'm actually curious. Should I give it a shot? Remember I have the 1800x because I wanted to do workstation stuff. The 1800x does me just fine but my curiosity of threadripper is tempting me. To others this does not mean x399 is worth it for gaming alone.You8 Jul 29
Jul 29 Wow on %200 render scale - please help. Hello tomorrow im buying a grahpic card, i dont wanna buy the 970GTX ti just for wow, because i dont play other games, but i want to run wow on ultra settings max with %200 render scale which graphic card can do it? will the 780 ti 4gb gtx do it?Spriestgodtk13 Jul 29
Jul 29 GPU help, tired of researching Desperate need of advice. I have researched for hours and days for a simple consistent answer. I'm rebuilding my computer on a budget. I feel comfortable with the mobo, cpu, and memory that I've chosen, however my debate is on the video card. My choices are GTX 1050Ti,GTX 1060 3GB, and the GTX 1060 6gb. I've read good things about the 1060, but more often than not it's the 6gb which is pushing it on my budget. My desire: I would prefer wow on ultra with good fps... That way I can smoothly play WoW and enjoy the graphics. This is the other components I have chosen thus far that fit well with my budget of around 600. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/WwmNhq Hopefully the link is okay(also I don't mind opinions on the other components) . The power supply is 600w Btw. I don't want to sacrifice too much enjoyment for being cheap on the budget but I also am not in a great position to drop a lot on the gpu. Thank you in advance for any help. Far too many sites have said positives and negatives and hopefully this will help.Fatherpaul20 Jul 29
Jul 29 MMO Champ Build of the Month Hey there, So my computer has finally started to show signs of wear and I've definitely noticed some drops in FPS. I've been thinking of building a new comp and was wondering on the reliability of MMO Champions "Build of the Month" computers. Are those builds actually worth it? Would the "Unicorn" build be needed to run WoW at max settings and achieve high FPS in 20-30 man raids? Or would that be over/under-kill? I haven't built a computer in 5+ years and feel a bit rusty at it. My old sources don't seem as reliable as they once were. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I also came across some build guides on PCPartPicker. Any thoughts on those? Thanks, BalfastBalfast9 Jul 29
Jul 28 Should I buy this PC or no? As the title says, should I get the following pc http://www.microcenter.com/product/471599/XPS_8910_Desktop_Computer Or should I get this custom built one from Maingear? https://imgur.com/a/Gy25jVelek38 Jul 28
Jul 28 Best bet on a budget Just wrote a detailled thread about this but seems like it didnt get posted at all so ill make a short version of it. Heres my dillema: I gotta get a new laptop (must be a laptop) with a max budget of about 250$ base price. Will only be used to play Wow. I dont mind running the game with lowest settings in order to improve performance, not an issue at all. My top priority is to be able to do (just do, not being performant at) whatever instances requiered for the farthest ilvl progression, hopefully up to around max levels available. In short, I wanna be able to play end-game content just so I can progress as intended, meaning no game breaking lag on some raids and stuff like this. I dont care if its playable but sluggish gameplay. Just gotta be do-able till I get the final boss loot. Finally, considering my poor man's budget and my needs regarding minimal performance, what specs should I prioritize when looking at a laptop's features? For example, Heres one ive been considering: HP ProBook 6470b 14" LED Notebook 2.6Ghz 2GB RAM 500GB HDD. Whats the main thing to look at would you say? How important is processor in regards to RAM or any other spec? This is where I need some of that valuable insight you guys can provide me on this technical hardware part. Im pretty profane when it comes to whats needed in priority, how one given spec will affect gameplay and lets say whats the minimal amount needed for each critical specs (i.e is there a processor speed that I dont wanna get lower than some value, how much RAM is enough... What should I look for in the detailled specs description of the laptop besides Stuff like RAM and processors? Im cruelly lacking knowledge on this stuff but I want to at least make sure I prioritize the right things with such a small budget. I know it will probably sucks, I want it to be playable as much as it can be. Any tips is sincerly appreciated guys and thanks for your time!Cruelfel16 Jul 28
Jul 28 Kind of want to replace my Logitech G110 The one I have is starting to have some issues and at one point actually stopped working entirely, though reinstalling the firmware half a dozen times revived it (no idea why it worked the last time when it didn't work the first several times). I'd just replace it with another G110, but Logitech no longer makes them. So now I'm considering buying something new, but I'm unsure what to buy, as this current keyboard was basically the perfect combination of price and features. I'm not looking to spend $200 or more (ideally I'd pay around $80 like I did for this one), but I also really don't want to give up anything this keyboard has: Dedicated multimedia keys A dozen extra keys for keyboard macros (I'd be willing to accept a smaller number, as I don't make much use of these) Backlighting A powered USB port Audio inputs with deaf/mute buttons on the keyboard (the keyboard itself only requires one USB port to be fully operational. I tried a different keyboard with audio inputs, but I actually had to then also plug the keyboard into the audio inputs on the back of my computer, which is not what I want. This keyboard lets me have both my speakers and a headset simultaneously operating, while I had to pick between speakers or a headset for that last one.)Any suggestions?Nixxia1 Jul 28
Jul 27 Ryzen 3 Discussion I haven't gotten my hands on one yet but I'm seeing a trend. Very similar we are seeing performance Delta's the same as Kaby lake i5 vs Ryzen 5 and kabylake I7 vs Ryzen 7. However the tests I see I don't like and I'll explain why. Unlike LGA 1151 AM4 will be around for awhile with zen 2 and possibly 3 being supported. When you pair a lower-mid ranged gpu with an i3 or 43 you won't have a couple bottleneck in most games. I get that reviewers are using GTX 1080 TI's to show which is a better chip but that's completely irrelevant. I plan on doing a video to show relevance soon. No one will drop 500-700 on a GPU and pair it with a $130 CPU. The general rule is to be balanced, spend 1.5-2.5 times the cpu on a gpu. When you pair a r3 vs an i3 with a 1050ti or 1060, the delta will be close to 0 on gaming with the r3 spanking the i3 in multitasking and multithreaded applications. The only valid argument is, CPUs stay relevant much longer than GPUs. So pairing an r3 with a GTX 1250 or 1260 would bottleneck a little more than an i3. Except AM4 is not a dead socket and upgrading to 2nd or 3rd gen r3 or R5 will be possible unlike Intel. Thoughts?Snaeb17 Jul 27
Jul 27 gauging the "ultra" difference hey all. long story short i game on an acer laptop that gives me a pretty good looking experience. however, i feel i might not know what i am missing. do you guys find the bump from settings at 4 to 10 is really worth it? do videos of ultra settings do any justice to the actual experience? have any of you been that jerk that goes into a best buy and tries it out on a system that can handle it? ive played since launch and always been ok with 30fps decent looking performance, but i would like to go for the full ultra experience and just wondering if it is worth it, and a ballpark of what i should expect to pay. i play on a 50" 4k television and would want to keep that part of the setup, so monitor would not be a part of budget. im not looking to compromise for price, but i am not interested in going top of the line premium where bang for buck falls off. prefer something that works in a mini/micro itx desktop configMattyfresh5 Jul 27
Jul 27 unreal tournament well it still costs 1k for the equipment to play this game but this is running of cerial box codes on a old computer... can't think 3rd one down microsoft 1987 spcecial cupcake factory organzation is proud to be american there blizzard lowgrade gameplay wow i diddnt think of that expansion lets get on the ball blizzard wow you made money good for you yo anywho 1k is too much to spend on a computer unless you actually like yourself... and like unreal tournament why this game is out compared to timesplitters is luck.. you know we don't wanna go there.Haneth12 Jul 27
Jul 27 First Build This will be my first time building a PC. I was wondering if someone could look this over and tell me if it is good. Like can it run wow and modern games decently and can it do dual monitors PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/9Lq8gL Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/9Lq8gL/by_merchant/ CPU: Intel - Core i5-7500 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($187.69 @ OutletPC) Motherboard: Asus - PRIME Z270-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($159.99 @ SuperBiiz) Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($141.88 @ OutletPC) Storage: Western Digital - Blue 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($279.99 @ Amazon) Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB GAMING Video Card ($309.00 @ Adorama) Case: Fractal Design - Define C ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Newegg) Power Supply: EVGA - 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($31.98 @ Newegg) Total: $1170.52 Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-07-25 17:49 EDT-0400Gronak15 Jul 27
Jul 27 Will WoW play on Integrated graphics 1080p? I decided to test wow performance on my HTPC that I just built, keep in mind it wasn't built with playing wow in mind and that is mainly for my Ryzen PC. I also did some tests to show how effective the stock cooler is on keeping this CPU cool in my case. The build I tested was posted on another forum thread: https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20758235799 The youtube video showing WoW performance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoxxziM6S-w My video for Cinebench test along with AIDA64 stress test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPBNEs1oThU End of the 2nd video shows how I can set my system fan to DC mode from PWM and that the motherboard can downvolt the fan on its own without the need of a separate fan controller.Connoisseur9 Jul 27
Jul 27 Specs needed to run WoW at max settings? Greetings, I've been running WoW at medium-ish settings for a while now and getting roughly 50 fps. If I bump my settings up to high (not ultra) then I can get around 35 fps, but the drop isn't really worth it for me. I'm considering making some upgrades to my PC, as I would really like to be able to max the settings in WoW and maintain a high fps, but I'm afraid I don't know very much about upgrading computers and what I need to prioritize to get the most bang for my buck. Any help would be appreciated! I have included my current specs below: ASUS Desktop PC G11CB_G11CD Series Edition: Windows 10 Home Version: 1703 OS Build: 15063.483 Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz 3.40 GHz GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 Installed RAM: 16.0 GB System type: 64-bit operating system, x64-based processorFugolo9 Jul 27
Jul 27 How about soft raiding wow.exe? If wow.exe was a multi threaded executable so just like when we raid files open faster so if we had a tool that pointed to several wow.exe files then thinking wow should perform even better? Just a theory. Or just stick to raiding hard drives?Dextter3 Jul 27
Jul 26 Help with CPU bottlenecks MIndblank Tech just uploaded a video to his channel discussing possible remedies to CPU bottlenecking, within reason obviously. You can't make a Ford Escort perform like a Ferrari, but you can maybe get that Escort a few more horsepower. He chose GTA V for an example of a CPU intensive game and used a Pentium G4560 for his test paired with a RX 570. He covers what bottlenecking is and five methods to help alleviate it. It's worth the view if you're at all curious about how bottlenecking works. Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIIH6tW8xSg&t=1sCürley2 Jul 26
Jul 26 Help with graphic card please Computer is Dell XPS 8300 CPU: Intel Core i7-2600 RAM: 12288 MB Current Graphics card: AMD Radeon 6700 Im heavily considering the Geforce 1060 3g or 6g. Will it work? and what are your recommendations?Romaní11 Jul 26