Why does everyone suddenly hate Jaina?

Story Forum
Prev 1 20 21 22 23 Next
08/26/2016 10:58 AMPosted by Weiyu
It's not "hatred" it's anger couched in disappointment.

this, for me is disappointment on how blizzard make her look like a stupid
if they save her life 3 times (Aegwynm,rhonin and chi-ji) i hope that her character purpose is more that just being a loot-piñata corrupted cliche.
08/26/2016 10:58 AMPosted by Weiyu
I can't speak for everyone, but the biggest reason for my turning on her is a sense of betrayal. As the biggest advocate for the Horde and Alliance to stop fighting, she felt like my patron saint. Yes, everyone has a breaking point, but I expected Jaina to BE unbreakable in her commitment.

Unreasonable on my part? Perhaps but it is how I felt. To see her go from practically my in-universe voice to outright sabotaging any possibility of reconciliation to the point that Varian could chew her out for it was heartbreaking. It's not "hatred" it's anger couched in disappointment.

It just comes off as hatred for many because hyperboly is a humorous summation of complex feelings.

Have you considered the possibility that your position is simply wrong?
Necromancers, all of you! Begone! Trouble the soul of this Old thread no more!
08/26/2016 08:24 PMPosted by Estus

No kidding. Back when it began, Kellick made one of the first replies and provided the definitive answer. People only turned against Jaina after the bad serial writing had her engaged in frequent 180-degree turns in position
08/26/2016 08:36 PMPosted by Scryll

No kidding. Back when it began, Kellick made one of the first replies and provided the definitive answer. People only turned against Jaina after the bad serial writing had her engaged in frequent 180-degree turns in position

*BZZZZZT* Wrong.

Horde players have hated Jaina en masse since she tried to hold the Horde responsible for its actions in Tides of War.

And plenty hated her even before that, for a handful of reasons.

I did?

Oh damnit, this thread is old as balls.

08/26/2016 08:42 PMPosted by Intaki
Horde players have hated Jaina en masse since she tried to hold the Horde responsible for its actions in Tides of War.

*BZZZZZT* Wrong.

09/22/2013 09:29 AMPosted by Kellick
I think it's important not to mistake "think the character turns Jaina's undergone from Tides of War to 4.1 to 4.2 to again in the SoO cinematic whips her character back and forth in a way which seems internally inconsistent and may be damaging to her characterization" for "hate Jaina".

*DING DING DING*

Woo! Past me won the prize!
Except what you posted has no bearing on what I did. The majority of the hatred stems from Jaina's stance against the Horde. You can go back to the publishing date and read the forum posts about it.
08/26/2016 08:56 PMPosted by Intaki
Except what you posted has no bearing on what I did. The majority of the hatred stems from Jaina's stance against the Horde. You can go back to the publishing date and read the forum posts about it.

Oh! Don't forget murder and unlawful imprisonment! That's part of the reason too! ;D
08/26/2016 09:51 PMPosted by Serthrek
unlawful imprisonment

Dalaran, much like most of modern Azeroth, isn't a democracy. It is, by all appearances, a meritocratic oligarchy. As such, the law is what the heads of state say it is at any given time.
08/26/2016 12:28 AMPosted by Zerde
08/25/2016 05:58 PMPosted by Uriél
You can't join a war against your neighbors and then get pissed when you get hit for it. What did she expect?

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Princess HissyFits can disappear for all I care.

It also doesn't help that she went from regular mage to mary sue OP in one expansion.

She expected the Horde would act honorably. No one expected a mana bomb to be dropped. No one could have guess Garrosh would kill neutral dragon flight members, steal an artifact of power and go on a rampage while the Horde chanting nothing but death cries to the Alliance.

Consequently the Horde cannot expect to simply be forgiven for Theramore. That even with Garrosh death they cant simply expect Jaina to forget all the death they caused for her people and her allies! And their constant betrayal!

Why does it matter if they were killed by a manabomb or had their throats slit one by one. Her fault entirely. Had she not let the alliance use Theramore; Rhonin and the gnome girl would be alive, Theramore would be in tact, High Elves would be a lot less endangered as a species, etc.
Oh damnit, this thread is old as balls.

but are they everywhere like Thrall's balls?
I don't hate Jaina. I actually feel sorry for her honestly. I really hope we don't have to kill her. She does have justified anger towards the Horde, and I bet you that its made even more toxic when you realize how hard she tried to get the two factions to have peace with eachother.
08/26/2016 10:25 PMPosted by Uriél
Had she not let the alliance use Theramore

This is a common misconception: Garrosh did not attack Theramore due to Theramore's past involvement in the Alliance retaliation against Horde aggression. He attacked Theramore because it was the most significant obstacle to his prime objective of wiping out the Night Elf race.
In other news, Glory to Dark Lady. She just keeps getting better and better.

*BZZZZZT* Wrong.

'fraid not, princess. Most Horde didn't really care about her, one way or the other. Similar to how we feel about, say, Muradin.
I'll admit I was one of the people who disliked her before then though (albeit not all that long before, having not gotten around to playing WC3 until mid-Wrath). After playing WC3, I started disliking her because she seemed one-note and waifish. Very bland and lacking spice.
08/26/2016 11:29 PMPosted by Scryll
Most Horde didn't really care about her, one way or the other.

Demonstrably false. Horde posters, throughout the fandom and not just in this forum, had a long history of pinning the moral uprightness of their faction to Jaina's endorsements. Many were also fond of her "Peace at all costs" philosophy.

That's probably why her change of heart was met with such a visceral reaction; when the living moral compass of an entire fictional setting tells you you're an !@#$%^-, it doesn't look good.

After playing WC3, I started disliking her

Your experience is your experience. But your experience does not align with the stated experience of most posters past and present. The average Warcraft player likes distinct one-note characters. They like their Jainas and Illidans and Groms and Khadgars.
*BZZZZZT* Wrong.

'fraid not, princess. Most Horde didn't really care about her, one way or the other. Similar to how we feel about, say, Muradin.
I'll admit I was one of the people who disliked her before then though (albeit not all that long before, having not gotten around to playing WC3 until mid-Wrath). After playing WC3, I started disliking her because she seemed one-note and waifish. Very bland and lacking spice.

I disagree, but this is only my opinion. I liked Jaina because she was willing to set aside the hatred of others and make her own choices. They may not have always been the best choices, but they were hers none the less. Even up to her sending out troops before the Cataclysm, I liked her.
But when she got all bipolar because of bad writing, and lack of care, she ribbed me the wrong way.

Again, not disagreeing with your point Scryll, just putting my opinion and take on jaina out there.
(Also, Muradin is bad !@#. Easily my favorite Alliance character. )
08/26/2016 11:40 PMPosted by Intaki
Most Horde didn't really care about her, one way or the other.

Demonstrably false. Horde posters, throughout the fandom and not just in this forum, had a long history of pinning the moral uprightness of their faction to Jaina's endorsements. Many were also fond of her "Peace at all costs" philosophy.

That's probably why her change of heart was met with such a visceral reaction; when the living moral compass of an entire fictional setting tells you you're an !@#$%^-, it doesn't look good.

After playing WC3, I started disliking her

Your experience is your experience. But your experience does not align with the stated experience of most posters past and present. The average Warcraft player likes distinct one-note characters. They like their Jainas and Illidans and Groms and Khadgars.

Any examples of these many posters?
I don't recall anyone ever saying they prefer characters like that, well, ever...

Admittedly as a Hordie since vanilla I've been a Jaina fan all that time, but that doesn't mean I started hating her guts when she went anti-Horde. Alliance needs characters like that. They could have kept Varian in that role but I guess they felt they wanted less Angry Barbarian King and more King Arthur. *shrugs* I guess the daughter of the guy who died for his own anti-Horde convictions would be a good candidate.

Thus we have Daddy's Girl Jaina instead of Pupil of Antonidas Jaina.

What's more, if Blizz insists on having a faction conflict happening right in the middle of fighting a monsterous army bent on destroying the world again, then I'd say it's the Alliance's turn to be the instigators. Also if there is to be another major faction NPC contributed to the role of loot pinata, it's also your turn.

That being said, it doesn't mean she has to die either. I'd prefer it if she didn't.

Funny, because the moment she turns on the Horde, everyone in universe compares her to Arthas, Garrosh and Daelin, who've been universally characterized as unambiguously villainous.

So it says a lot more about Jaina than it does about the Horde.