Warlock Tank

Warlock
I know that Blizz has said warlock tanking is more a gimmick / situational thing but I'd like to discuss the pros and cons of allowing a cloth tank.

I think it could be done well, and the main concern would be itemization. Obviously they shouldn't have to make a whole new set of cloth to drop for just warlock tanks, but they could maybe have Dark Apotheosis allow the 'lock to equip a shield? From what I understand paladins can tank in ret gear with a weapon switch, so it really wouldn't be that much of an advantage would it?

It would add diversity in the tanking field as well as allowing warlocks to have another "draw" to them. They'd add a fourth specialization similar to the case of the druid. The main con I think would be that no other cloth can tank, but priests can heal (have a viable off spec) so I don't really see this as too much of an issue.

Maybe at least think on this for the next xpac blizz?

EDIT: Also, as the 3rd least played class... I wouldn't mind a little special treatment :D
EDIT2: To have different "tank gear" have DA turn spirit into something useful for tanking (maybe health regen? increased self heal?) Spirit is still useless to regular locks, but would make them work towards a second set for tanking =D
Yeah, the Glyph of Demon Hunting is the result of MoP pre-alpha warlock tank testing, so a lot of the work has been done with regards to changing the mechanics for tanking. The final steps as I see them:

1.) Change the mastery so it affects how much Fury Ward (active mitigation) absorbs, not global damage reduction

2.) Replace the scaling global DR with a static %

3.) Scale dodge/parry/miss from some stat (maybe spirit)

4.) Re-balance D Fury generation and D Fury cost for abilities

5.) Vengeance

To be fair though, I'm of the opinion that they should also add in a mail armor using tanking spec as well. This would cover all the armor types as opposed to every tank being either plate or leather.
Might as well make it tank spec now since it does no damage.
Halfway there if you think about it.
AMIRITE?
You can tank with it. You just can't queue as tank.

Proof: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwlPDQzeRoU
Might as well make it tank spec now since it does no damage.
Halfway there if you think about it.
AMIRITE?

too soon

While doable, that is also LFR MSV where taunt swaps can be ignored. Luckily this works out because bosses will ignore the warlock's taunt (LOL emergency tank rite?). Thus I would like to see warlocks and shaman given real tanking specs.

While doable, that is also LFR MSV where taunt swaps can be ignored. Luckily this works out because bosses will ignore the warlock's taunt (LOL emergency tank rite?). Thus I would like to see warlocks and shaman given real tanking specs.

Only if the tank specs are a 4th spec. I don't want demo becoming a tank spec.

Oh and here is a warlock tanking 10m Spirit Kings: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3k6wzCSbfI

Still MSV, but it's 10m, not LFR.
They could have a tanking "form" like metamorphosis where you change and it reduces a percent of damage taken and increasing threat.
I think that a 4th spec being added, which would be a tank spec, would just be the way to go. Trying to squeeze a tanking form + add tanking abilities that would change current abilities (just how our current meta works) would be too much to shove into 1 spec.

Demo should be dps only. Having 2 meta forms would be a bit confusing for new players. Even if it were 1 meta form with that "tank glyph", that would basically turn the glyph into giving us a 4th spec.

I think Blizzard already shot down the theory of a 4th spec coming soon. They've already also said that warlocks aren't tanks, even if they allowed us to tank with the glyph.
@Haunter thank you for the constructive thoughts.

To the rest above, good ideas. I'm definitely with what I would say is the majority in thinking that it should be a 4th spec, and not erase demo as a dps spec. (Probably remove the AD glyph altogether, or change its affect ?)

We are all aware you can tank as a warlock atm-- we are discussing that Blizz should make them true tanks. Can queue, etc.

EDIT: Just had a vunderbar idea!!! Make the tank spec meta look like a Pit Lord but shadowy like the current "demon hunter" meta :) It would be the same skill just have a different skin in the different specializations. Abilities would be tweaked for the change in role, of course.
There is no agility "tank gear" either, but that doesn't stop druids and monks.
<--------proud enh shammy supports demo tanks. and in return of course you support our enh tanking?
<--------proud enh shammy supports demo tanks. and in return of course you support our enh tanking?

Yes. I could see every class having a viable tank type setup. All tanking is is the ability to make healer mana more efficient in essence. It doesn't have to be done via armor mitigation. Rogues could be slippery tanks, mages could be frosty tanks or use a mana shield or w/e,. Blizz has done a good job with the game but they could make things a bit better more versatile.
All classes given all roles. It's entirely doable, only thing standing in the way is lore.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-4fLpG2CGc
As long as the three curent dps specs arent lost to make a tanking spec