Please Ban Gearscore From the Game

UI and Macro
Prev 1 5 6 7 Next

1) Not mutually exclusive.

2) The argument really does stop at convenience here.

3)Uh...

4)When I mean it's broken, I mean it literally does not work.

5)The game automatically running itself and your social ineptitudes are entirely separate issues.

6)The level of effort it took get good naxx level gear during t7 was more than the level of effort required to get ToC/ICC level gear now. If someone's not willing to put forth an equivalent relative amount of effort into their toon, there's a high chance (empirically speaking) that they're going to be useless baggage.

7) GS has never been about sureties; I'm not arguing that, nobody's arguing that. However, the chances that someone with a 5500 gs will be of better contribution to your endeavors than someone with 3500 gs are very good. Again, empirically speaking, the higher you go in GS, the less bads you find. This is not a trend you can argue.

The ratio of positive aspects of gearscore is heavily outweighed by the negative aspects, and the Gearscore mod has an overall negative impact on the WoW community. That alone is a good enough reason to ban it.

8)The negative aspects of Gearscore have been sensationalized more than 9/11. Your claim carries little weight and clearly highlights your agenda against an addon that is not responsible for the phenomenon it expedites.

1) This is mutually exclusive. Blizzard has said themselves that they wished for more content to be accessible to a larger amount of the playerbase. This results in easier raids. Easier raids = more PuGs. This was all in motion before gearscore came along.

2) But with a bit more effort, you could look at an armory and see enchants, gems, and if the arcane mage has stacked crit (Which is, of course, wrong!) The best PuGs I've been a part of used the time to armory someone. 100% of the time they made it further than GS pugs.

3) Cmon, don't clip my quote like that, or else it looks silly! I explained myself. Sometimes the highest iLvl item isn't the best. Case in point, 264 frost emblem trinket was +hit, which I had no use for. It would have given me a better gearscore, but had a negative effect on my DPS.

4) Then you've lost me. Do you mean in this most recent patch? And if so, why not armory someone?

5) Lets not get accusatory, gearscore streamlines the process of recruiting for raids, but has resulted in much abuse by the community.

6) The difference in this example is what creates the problem. It's one thing for someone running an ICC to want t10, especially now that you can buy it from running heroics. But we're talking about wanting t10 gear to run a t7 raid. I agree that a higher gearscore generally dictates more time spent on the character, but this is ridiculious.

7) I would generally assume you were correct, but Wrath generation is risky in this sense. Because you can now get iLvl 264's from running heroics, a high gearscore doesn't automatically mean someone has run a lot of raids. Either way, for Naxx, I don't care what their gearscore is. If I have my 264 pally tank and a good healer, the rest of the gear doesn't really matter.

8) If nobody ever got left out in the cold because of gearscore, then there wouldn't be a problem with it, and no forum whining. But it has been abused, time and time again. I was once not allowed into an Onyxia run, though I already had Ony's 245 ring, because my Gearscore wasn't good enough. Does that not strike you as somewhat odd?

Regardless of the reason that gearscore has created these problems, there is no doubt that it has created them. And I know of no other mod that has created so many problems within the community.
Gearscore is needed i don't support banning it.
As much as I hate Gear Score, it doesn't break any sort of rule that Blizzard has for Modders. Really it's up to you to try and discourage players from using it. One tactic I have is to just pretend that the mod doesn't exist.

I can't tell you how many times someone has whispered me "Nice GS" and I pretend to just not know what he's talking about. Just take control.
When this happens to me, I just assume the raid was going to be some whiny wipefest and am thankful I was excluded.
Just like any player made system, the only way it's abused is if people allow the abuse to continue. People support GS and the way it's being used. Until that changes, expect it to stick around :)

Its like "ban stupid people". Impossible. You should be happy not playing with people who using GearScore as criteria.

Its like "ban stupid people". Impossible.

Although perhaps worth trying!
Hrm, apparently when you get turned gown for a gearscore invite your character has his "Invite" and "create raid " ability's removed?

Or to be more clear...Create your own raid instead of running here whining every time.
to repeat since it doesn't sink in..

Create your own raid with your own requirements if any. The only person who sets the rules is the one who creates the raid and no one else so stfu and start your own if the criteria displeases you.

Start your own raid...create your own raid...make a raid of your own...click invite, change to raid, spam LFG....
Comience su propio grupo
Starten Sie Ihre eigene Gruppe
Créez votre propre groupe
Start je eigen groep
Comece o seu próprio grupo

Do you get the point yet? :) seriously...

/yes I know they wont do it, its just easier to sit and complain how the precious snowflake got excluded >.<

8) If nobody ever got left out in the cold because of gearscore, then there wouldn't be a problem with it, and no forum whining. But it has been abused, time and time again. I was once not allowed into an Onyxia run, though I already had Ony's 245 ring, because my Gearscore wasn't good enough. Does that not strike you as somewhat odd?

There is plenty of doubt that gearscore did anything of the sort. Forum whining about GS does not mean GS is bad, it means that forum whiners are stupid. I think there's a ton more evidence to support this thesis than there is to support your thesis that GS is bad. We've got 6 years of proof that forum whiners are idiots, and nothing but the testimony of said idiots suggesting that GS is bad.

GS has never excluded anybody from a raid. To be excluded from a raid, the raid leader must decide not to invite you. GS is not a raid leader. All GS does is provide the raid leader with information he uses to decide whether inviting you is more likely to add a useful and productive raid member to his raid, or a worthless moron who will just drag everybody down and need to be carried. With how easy it is to get good gear these days, and how many people are unwilling to actually put for the effort of being a raid leader, there are plenty of people who are better gambles on the "useful/useless" split than anybody with a low gearscore.
6 pages of mulling over a pointless topic.
It may have been GS for wotlk, but before that it was spellpower/healing power and before that it was how many pieces of tier etc etc.
People have always had a way of estimating roughly how geared people are. Regardless of arguments about good and bad sides of GS in particular, "banning" this is really pointless. People will just find another way to estimate if you're geared enough for a certain run.
meh, how is GS working when inspect doesnt work?

Pretty badly,

But the good news is the 4.0 version (Release Date: December 7th) is programmed very intelligently to work around this bug as much as possible. However, It is still unable to overcome the inspection bug when attempting cross-realm inspections.

So if Blizzard doesn't repair the inspection feature before Cataclysm is released, GearScore will work anyways. You can inspect players all day long without an issue, unless you inspect cross-realm, or if a player logs out right as your inspecting them. (Happens more then you might think)

Arxkanite, Author of GearScore
I heard GearScore stops people that would otherwise invite you to their group from inviting you.

I also heard it is the cause of every major war for the past 300 years, is keeping auto manufacturers from releasing a super-efficient car, started global warming, and kicked your dog.

Complaining about GearScore is like yelling at a baseball bat after I beat your face in with it for complaining about GearScore.

GearScore got my wife pregnant :(

And the creator personally made it so the OP would never be able to get in a group again!

I actually have a program that parses these forums for GS complaints, and gives me names and servers of people who talk trash about it.... I could very easily export that information to give all these people a massive GS penalty....

And the creator personally made it so the OP would never be able to get in a group again!

I actually have a program that parses these forums for GS complaints, and gives me names and servers of people who talk trash about it.... I could very easily export that information to give all these people a massive GS penalty....

Are you really the author of gear score? If so, you should take this suggestion to heart:

Modify GS to account for every numerical factor a character can possess, including optimal gear (pvp vs pve), gems, enchants, talents, glyhs, achievements (raid progress and number of fight attempts), and then maybe it would be useful.

As it is now, it is a pretty useless addon.

'Hey dude, your GS is X number. Want to come raid?'

3 wipes later, on the first trash of the instance....

'Dude, your GS is X, why are you so bad?'

Most good players don't use GS as an indicator of anything, except Epeen measurement.

Actually Gearscore has a lot of this functionality. The problem is, most people don't use it. They only look at the "number" that comes up when you mouse over someone. That number is obtained purely by the item levels on your gear, nothing else. The problem here is that people will take items that are not optimized for their class, or worse flat out useless for their class, to inflate the number, just because the item is a higher item level. And the people that are just using the number won't see it.

In an old guild of mine, the raid leader took a "5800 gs" hunter over a "4800 gs" arcane mage (who was an alt of a friend of mine). The hunter had a mix of cloth, leather, and mail gear (almost none of it for a hunter), one spellpower trinket, one tanking trinket, and the tanking gun. He did 700dps and noone noticed but me until we defeated Deathbringer (the rest of the group was pretty good). In the meantime, my arcane mage friend was pushing 8-10k, but the raid leader wouldn't hear it because "his gearscore is lower".

I think the best thing to do here is modify Gearscore so you have to actually INSPECT someone with it and actually use the functionality it gives you, rather than just showing a number when you mouse over someone.
Gearscore is way too superficial for me.

Back in BC days, there were people who had gotten lucky/ carried and had nice gear, but that didn't mean that they were awesome players. When somebody choose the lucky player over a competent one - that was the red flags telling me to avoid.

With the introduction of Wrath, it became a million times easier for garbage players to have great gear. You would think that people would realize this and stop judging people by said gear and instead begin to create a personal network of good players from past pugs and such, either by blizzard's default friend list or by an introduction of a great addon.

Instead we received Gearscore from the community, and people are being judged by their gear even more than ever before. It makes absolutely ZERO sense to me.

When a tank or healer is in a random heroic 5man wearing T8-9 gear and says to me "yea I'm still gearing up for this" I want to strangle something.