BEWARE OF KEYLOGGERS! Don't follow that link!

New Player Help and Guides
Prev 1 3 4 5 7 Next
12/05/2010 09:31 AMPosted by Freyiá
Today we got an in-game whisper from Blizzard(with funny symbols above the letter) saying that due to complaints from other players, we had one hour to validate our information at a web address other than wow before the account is closed.
The help section( red question mark in-game) says all messages will have the blue blizzard symbol by the name.

Exact same here.

Something like "Blizẑerd" sent me a whisper saying I had multiple complaints and to go to something like "www.wowverify.com"

I didn't even know there would be a Blizzard logo next to legitimate blizzard mods. I just had to see that something was fishy(I never did anything bad), and I remember seeing the list of legit sites, so I checked the name.
I'm happy to hear that you were suspicious enough to question the legitimacy of the whisper. I'm assuming you didn't go the the website they told you to.

Also, remember if an official Game Master sends you a message in game several things will happen;

1st. You'll get a pop up confirmation box that says something like "A Blizzard Game master is trying to contact you, do you have time to talk now?" and will give you a option to click accept or decline.

2nd. If you accept, a special chat window will open up on your screen that is separate from all other chat windows, and the Game Master will have the "Blizz" icon next to his/her name when he/she types a message. Furthermore, the Text from the GM will be colored Blue, and will NOT be a whisper.

They will also not have any special characters in their names, nor will their name have any iteration of the word "Blizz" or "Blizzard" as part of the characters' name.
I got a message today its from something like "Blizz" somthing i wondering should i go to that or ignore it PLZ respond ASAP
04/17/2011 02:35 PMPosted by Lanceisme
I got a message today its from something like "Blizz" somthing i wondering should i go to that or ignore it PLZ respond ASAP

No! do NOT go to it! definitely ignore.
thx your a life saver
To stop keyloggers and other impolite internet parasites -
Blocking advertisements, flash, and scripts helps a lot. For example - Firefox has addons you can install that block these things via adblock, noscript, and flashblock. I dunno about other browsers.

And keep your web browser and operating system up to date!
Baloo, Nice post/guide. A couple of things to point out though.

1. Spybot Search & Destroy: Besides removing any spyware including keyloggers and trojans, it will also some what protect the Windows registry. Any time you attempt to make changes or a application attempts to make changes to the registry a popup box will ask for permission to make the changes. Disallow will stop the changes from taking effect. This is not only good for stopping keyloggers but will also make your friendly techs life easier due to stopping scareware from taking hold in the regesitry.

2. Free anti-virus: As of the last test I read (still waiting for this years to be released) the top three free anti-virus applications were Advast, AVG, and believe it or not Microsoft Security Essentials. Comodo which was mentioned in the OP had a false postive issue at the time.

3. If a person is willing to pay for the subscription Spyware Doctor is actually better the Spybot S&D. It is updated and better able to handle the latest versions of keyloggers, Trojans and Scareware (XP Antivirus Pro or Win 7 Antivirus pro etc.) this is actually my go to tool when dealing with scareware as it will install when Spybot S&D want.

4. Last thing if a user has malware such as keylogger or trojans, disconnect the computer from the internet till you can remove the malware this is standard best practice at the moment. If you need to connect to update malware programs do so through safe mode.
what about the site [removed] it wanted my email, password and security question, is that a site a site that can hack you, and how do i change my security question, sorry guys new to this game
what about the site <removed> it wanted my email, password and security question, is that a site a site that can hack you, and how do i change my security question, sorry guys new to this game

Do NOT post the link on this forum. You can be banned for posting links to malicious websites so it's best to not post it.

If any website other than battle.net wants your account information, then it's a scam. Clean your computer and change your info from another clean system. Even visiting the website is a bad idea.
Exactly what Icedragon said. You should NEVER, EVER give any of your account information to any website unless it is battle.net (Account management website), or worldofwarcraft.com (this website that we are on now). These are the only two Official Blizzard Websites for WoW.

Any other website that asks for this information is absolutely trying to steal your account and may have infected your computer by simply visiting the website.

Also, as was mentioned, go to a different computer and change your account password immediately, Here's the link to log into your account on Battle.net (http://us.battle.net/en/). If I'm not mistaken you can change your account security question here as well.

On the computer where you visited that website, you should make sure your virus scanner is updated completely and run a full system scan (Not a quick or partial scan, but a complete system scan, this can take up to several hours to complete depending on how many files are on your hard drive, as well as how many physical hard drives you have in your system.)

For more information, read over the second post (http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1015381745#2), and follow the steps under the "HELP!!! I think I might have a keylogger, what do I do?" section.
I just updated the first page with a new phishing email that I received a few days ago. If anyone would like to check it out it is on post #14 located here:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1015381745?page=1#14
Yabanko, something is weird about that for sure. But I have a few questions:

1. Did you change your passwords on the same computer that you visited the website with?

--If so, then you may want to log onto a completely different computer and change them again. IF your computer was infected at the website you visited, then changing your password on the compromised computer will not help, as the new password would likely be stolen as well when you type it in.

2. Do you have a virus scanner on your computer that is activated and up to date?

3. If #2 is Yes, have you ran a virus scan on your whole computer system? What were the results?

If #2 is No, then refer back to the second post in this thread under the question "HELP!!! I think I might have a keylogger, what do I do?" and follow the instructions for using one of the online virus scanners like Trend Micro Housecall.

that's a pretty good start, but the first thing you will want to do is scan for a virus of some kind that may have slipped in. If you find something on your computer and it is cleaned out by the scanner, then restart the system and do another virus scan to be double sure that it is gone.
05/16/2011 07:33 PMPosted by Yabanko
Well, after looking around, someone told me that the Secondary account is part of a Beta testing Wow is doing? But as for security, my computer has some pretty good security. It's a 2010 MacBookPro with the Intel thing. Plus I've got an extra firewall program called Little Snitch that should've alerted me to something like that. But I'll take your advice and do a Utility sweep of my computer just to be sure.

The only "Beta testing" that Blizzard is currently doing that would have anything to do with WoW would be if you were playing on the PTR Test realm. But if this was the case you would have to have gone through the character copy process, and you would remember doing that. Although I'm not entirely sure that would cause more than one account to show up either, I believe it just gives you special access to a Beta test server when you log in with your normal account, but I'm not 100% sure on that.
omg thank you so much what you said is so true im glad that i didn't follow the stupid websites for the keyloger stuff
05/17/2011 11:54 AMPosted by Baloo
Although I'm not entirely sure that would cause more than one account to show up either, I believe it just gives you special access to a Beta test server when you log in with your normal account, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

It does create a second account you can see on the account page on battle.net but the PTR requires a separate client so you wouldn't see it while logging in to live.
05/20/2011 08:57 AMPosted by Akosi
Although I'm not entirely sure that would cause more than one account to show up either, I believe it just gives you special access to a Beta test server when you log in with your normal account, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

It does create a second account you can see on the account page on battle.net but the PTR requires a separate client so you wouldn't see it while logging in to live.

Ahh, good to know, thanks Akosi. :-)
question. i was on my boyfriends acc when we both dident have authenticators, after i logged from his account he got hacked yet mine was ok. we both got authenticators, scanned my comp with Avast! but it dident find anything but i keep getting d/cd when im not even lagging. is it possible that theres a trojen just hideing on my comp thats not even slowing it down or showing any signs of it being there for this long? (this happend 2 months ago but my d/cd has gotten worse)