Crystal of Insanity vs. Alchemist's Flask

General Discussion

Since anyone can get the Crystal of Insanity with about 5 minutes of clicking crystals the Alchemist "perk" is now useless ... The Alchemist's Flask should probably be re-worked.

Since anyone can get the Crystal of Insanity with about 5 minutes of clicking crystals the Alchemist "perk" is now useless ... The Alchemist's Flask should probably be re-worked.

It will be far better next xpac. Alchs still get 2hour 1320 flasks while we only get 1hr 1k flasks.

Not to mention it is by far one of the best money making professions in the game.
I'd just like it if they made the 320 stats from an Alchemist flask not count as either a Guardian or Battle Elixir and remove the mixology bonus.

Bam, Alchemists can use their 320 flask with 2 potions (or another flask), including the Crystal.
10/08/2013 12:28 PMPosted by Vaelys
We still get more stats out of normal flasks

Yup. The crystal is nice for my non-Alchemist alts while questing and goofing around but for "serious times", we all use flasks.

It's part of the achievement so this priest got one but don't need it. Can't throw it away either (tried, Blizzard sent me another in the mail) and it keeps showing up on mobs. Says something like, "You can't loot that - you already has one, greedy ho" or some other insulting message. Insanity crystal trying to make me go mad fo'real.
It's a non-issue. In any content that matters, you're going to be using a real flask, and we still get the mixology bonus there.

The alchemist flask is not our profession perk. Mixology is.
We still get more stats out of normal flasks

That's correct, but for just running around questing, farming things on timeless isle, dungeons & scenarios I don't think anyone is going to burn a normal flask ... just like I wouldn't expect anyone to use that crystal for a normal raid.

Easy fix, since the crystal acts as a flask is to let the alchemist buff modify it ( say 820 instead of 500 ).

Obviously not a huge complaint but it's still kind of annoying since other professions perks are constant 320 +/- that will not be lost by using an item like this one.
Eh, I'd complain if Alchemy didn't single-handedly pay for all of my gems, enchants, and alt flight training easily. With Alch (like with JC) you trade some usability for pure monetary value.
It's a non-issue. In any content that matters, you're going to be using a real flask, and we still get the mixology bonus there.

The alchemist flask is not our profession perk. Mixology is.

Both are our perks ... 320 additional, just like every other profession ( 320 constant-ish from the Alchemist's Flask, and Mixology bumping normal flasks by 320 since they don't stack )
Eh, I'd complain if Alchemy didn't single-handedly pay for all of my gems, enchants, and alt flight training easily. With Alch (like with JC) you trade some usability for pure monetary value.

I have every profession maxed save for JC, and my alch by far makes the most coin.
Except I don't see similar items infringing on other profession perks. Is there a temporary jewel buff, engineering buff, blacksmithing buff, tailoring buff, inscription buff?

Nope.

You just gutted an entire profession for at least a calendar year with one item; way to go, Bliz.
10/08/2013 12:38 PMPosted by Vixie
"You can't loot that - you already has one, greedy ho"
lol
Is there a temporary jewel buff
In Cata, I had a max JC. I was kinda upset when epic gems were released.

It happens.
well, it has been about a week since the last one of these threads.

my alchemist doesn't seem to mind. I think he doesn't anyway. he's usually far too busy taking gold baths to give anyone else the time of day
It doesn't matter much, but they should have made mixology work on crystal of insanity.
10/08/2013 12:46 PMPosted by Seth
must just be me then I guess. I have to be flasked and food buffed at all times.

Me too. Being an elixir alchemist = lots of free flasks. Plus my alts grow herbs on the farm. And everyone can cook.

I know what the OP is saying though. All other professions get a passive 320+ while ours is only there if you're actively using a flask. We should get the mixology buff just because we're Alchemists, not cuz we drank something.

But some people make it through the game without any profession buffs so meh.
I am an alchemist and I disagree.

There are zillions of items in the game and many of them benefit some people more than others.

The Crystal of Insanity benefits alchemists less than other people.

Overgrown Lilypad is worthless to druids.

Orb of the Sin'dorei is worthless to blood elves.

Forager's Gloves is worthless if you don't have herbalism or mining. Even if you have herbalism it is worthless if you are a tauren.
10/08/2013 12:49 PMPosted by Severien
You just gutted an entire profession for at least a calendar year with one item; way to go, Bliz.

"Gutted" is now short for "a rare drop that is only relevant to filler content effectively gives other players 320 more of a single stat than I have, assuming that all of our gear is otherwise exactly the same, which it absolutely never is"? Really.

Can we please save the hyperbole for things that actually deserve hyperbole?

Yes, it'd be nice if Blizzard either made Mixology apply to the crystal or made the alchemist's flask not count as a flask so it stacked independently of full flasks. But I am willing to bet that if we all logged in tomorrow and a glitch had temporarily taken 320 off our primary stat, none of us would notice the difference.
The 320 buff should either be passive or attached to your alchemy stone to grant the buff if its in your bags. Cant count the times its fallen off without me noticing.

Also on a side note if you were to use two elixers as opposed to a flask does the stat profession perk affect those as well? I've never tried.
Except I don't see similar items infringing on other profession perks. Is there a temporary jewel buff, engineering buff, blacksmithing buff, tailoring buff, inscription buff?

Nope.

You do realize the crystal of insanity has already been around for over a year, right? It drops off the elite rare Sulik Shor.