PVP cast times

Druid
Are any other boomkins having problems actually trying to cast in PVP? I've been PVPing heavily for the past three weeks, and I gotta say, trying to even throw out a Cyclone is brutal. I'm CONSTANTLY being stunned, silenced, or interrupted, even in a 1v1 skirmish in a BG. Trying to get an eclipse proc is hard enough, requiring 6-8 casts, but each cast being a base 2 seconds make it damn near impossible. I find myself looking for a big skirmish, and just freecasting stuff in the back, hoping I'm not focused, or my target dies, or my target moves out of range (which is the most frustrating thing!). I hope they put Wrath back down to a base 1.5 sec cast so that I can actually cast things other than instants. I now moonfire spam because it's all I can do... I also gave up stacking haste, and now stack crit on my PVP gear. Even with offsets, I couldn't get wrath below 1.7 seconds.

Do other casters have the same problem, with their non-instants being base 2 secs or more?
Do other casters have the same problem, with their non-instants being base 2 secs or more?

Yes. Stop casting with rogues in your face.
I've not really noticed a problem, but if you stay still and try to cast with a melee munching your face you are going to have problems.
If I have a melee on me I usually *try* to root it and then cast at it or pop thorns and moonfire spam if its chasing me down. Most of the time the moonfire/thorns/swarm is enough to kill it before it kills me.
I've not really noticed a problem, but if you stay still and try to cast with a melee munching your face you are going to have problems.
If I have a melee on me I usually *try* to root it and then cast at it or pop thorns and moonfire spam if its chasing me down. Most of the time the moonfire/thorns/swarm is enough to kill it before it kills me.

The biggest problem I have is the melee's abiltiy ot break my thorns and/or interrupt me from a distance. With warriors breaking my thorns, rets dispelling, rogues vanishing, ferals shapeshifting, and DKs pulling me in, I can't seem to keep a roots on a melee. I'm find popping barkskin & key CD, then blasting as many instafires in their face while getting my own smashed in is faster/easier/more efficient then trying to create space and hardcast.

Any suggestions on how to handle melee? Casters are easy: silence, then pop all my CDs. ;)
Thorns is a buff that goes on you, so I don't see how it gets countered in the ways you described. A shaman could purge it, I guess?

Anyway what you should be doing is tab-dotting and firing starsurge on proc (and on cooldown if you can). Build your eclipse that way, then hold onto it for dear life once you get it. You'll get a long nuke here and there, but not many. Most of my Eclipse movement in PvP is definitely from that.

If you are having trouble with melee check your glyphs. Thorns, barkskin and typhoon are all worth consideration in PvP, and instant root is essential. These tools plus your trinket should allow you to gain control over most melee situations. Don't forget solar beam either; several of the classes you mention are significantly hampered if silent.

Summary is that you have to accept that you have a different toolset in PvP, which requires high mobility. You aren't going to be able to pull off a PvE-style rotation, but you do have a lot of nice tools to use if you maximize them.
My bad, when I wrote "thorns" I meant "roots". I use the starfall, roots, & solar beam glyphs, though lately I think I'd prefer the barkskin one, like you suggested.

I generally run into a battle, but stay behind the group. Then I cast heals on everyone who needs them, activate starfall and spam moonfire. I find if I run into a group as a moonkin, I'm dead, while as a caster I live to travel form another day. ;)

I guess, to summarize my problem, instaroots is delicious, but all the melee seem to have counters to my roots now, and I have no counter to their counter, making my roots ineffective as a gap opener.
Well, roots break on damage. So you cannot expect them to hold in a large fight. In addition to your casted root, you also have nature's grasp, which gives three charges of insta-root to anyone who touches you.

Think of your melee defense as having layers. Your initial objective is to keep them away. You try to do this with a combination of movement, cheetah, casted roots, and typhoons. Remember to shape shift the instant you are rooted or snared; it should be a reflex for you.

If that doesn't work, you still have emergency tools for close quarters: nature's grasp, thorns, and barkskin. The idea here is for these to sustain you until you are able to create a gap (preferably with typhoon but via movement/cheetah if necessary).

Don't forget about cyclone, altho its casting time makes it difficult to use at all. And taurens can also use stomp. Barkskin gives you pushback protection so that is your chance to get regrowth and a big heal on yourself - rejuvs and lifeblooms can be cast while kiting.
I tried to create distance to cast at first too, but I'm finding for BGs when the melee get close, barkskin + thorns + insect swarm + moonfire spam is the most effective approach. That's exactly what lunar shower is for.

The only exception is if you're running with the flag carrier in WSG. In that case, Typhoon (away from the direction you're running, obviously) + roots. They'll still break the root, but the second it takes them to get out usually gives the carrier enough space to keep going.
Like someone else mentioned, it's important to create space before casting anything on melee. I haven't had much trouble dealing with melee classes on live with the last patch. DoT them up with Moonfire and IS. When they close the distance, just pop Barkskin and Thorns before they get a stun off. The more you play the better you can anticipate the stun. You can usually do enough damage with the DoT ticks and Thorns. After that, just Typhoon them off of you and use your instant roots. (assuming you're glyphed for it)

I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet but don't forget that you can go Bear form and use Bash as well.

Vs melee i think this will be balanced with wild mushrooms. I mean. pop thorns, dot em up, and just start spamming mushrooms around you. They are hardly interpretable with a .5 sec cast time. and that will be insane damage.

Vs casers if ur having trouble casting l2p. LOS silences and use your dots and insta roots
As much as I'm loving the state of new Balance I'm going to have to agree with Ciseal. Cyclone's cast time is brutal right now.

Even with stacked haste I rarely cast it.

I really only use it when I have already kept melee at range and need to heal before they close using charge/teleport X or on casters/healers that aren't paying attention as a crappy CC.

I think it's not just the cast time but the general pace of PVP right now. Until things slow down I see even the more effective CCs mostly just being used as setup for burst. Fights don't last long enough to need to keep someone out of it; you're often better off just nuking.
Melee definately can cause problems trying to gets casts off. I'd say the ones I have the most problems with are rogues, ferals, and enhance sham. Warriors and DKs I can usually gets a cast off here and there, but against the other melee, like others have said, I just dot them up try to thorns before they stun or get a chance to get hits on you. Create distance with roots and typhoon and they'll usually die before I do.

Also helps to starfall once they can't stop it from doing damage, obviously and if we're talking duels, it helps to start in stealth.