Launcher cannot obtain patching information.

Technical Support
Prev 1 11 12 13 26 Next
Hey Guys.

In the spirit of recreating this error I sat down and played with blocking certain Blizzard domain names using my /etc/hosts file. Just mapped addresses to 127.0.0.1

I've found that when you block :

ak.worldofwarcraft.com.edgesuite.net = you get the "Failed to download information about the next patch" error.

enUS.patch.battle.net = us.patch.battle.net (canonical) = you get the "Launcher cannot obtain patching information" error

The first address uses port 80 to connect while the 2nd more relevant one use port 1119 to connect.

So another avenue would be to check if port 119 to the address enUS.patch.battle.net. I would say try telnet but I hear that's not a good idea on windows.

Also portforward.com can be used to help configure things to forward ports :)

EDIT One of my PC Techie friends said to try http://www.canyouseeme.org/ to see if your 1119 port is open or not.
Was able to get my laptop to work...but required a complete reformatting. Good luck guys. :)
I dont know if this will work for everyone but for me it was simple I dont know what happened to my files after i logged out and try to come back but i simply ran the repair tool and it worked fine after that hope this helps
I've been having this problem for about a week now and it's not with just WOW. I can't connect to any online games that are on my comp. for instance Final Fantasy 14 and Guild Wars. I can't even access my PS Network on my PS3, but obviously my internet is working. I've tried lots of stuff but can't seem to find any reason for this happening.
I have the same problem and it just happened out of the blue. I have reinstalled WoW, reformatted, used another computer, a different router (x4), different HD, different network cards, and everything in this thread and still can't see the launcher, repair tool, and am unable to log on bypassing the launcher. I haven't found anything else has issues except Warcraft, although I can log onto Battle.net and Blizzard.com and other related sites.
12/20/2010 5:48 PMPosted by Drahsav
I have the same problem and it just happened out of the blue. I have reinstalled WoW, reformatted, used another computer, a different router (x4), different HD, different network cards, and everything in this thread and still can't see the launcher, repair tool, and am unable to log on bypassing the launcher. I haven't found anything else has issues except Warcraft, although I can log onto Battle.net and Blizzard.com and other related sites.
The only logical explanation is that you cant establish a connection using port 1119

http://us.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?locale=en_US&articleId=29848
Strange it just occurred like this. I have never had problems connecting to the servers until now. I am unable to make a connection using port 1119 and I have forwarded it through routers and turned off firewalls/antivirus etc. I suppose the next step is to call my ISP. I thought it seemed odd to occur when so many other people are having the same or similar connection issues. Thanks.
I contacted my ISP and he said "Since the connection has more than one NAT “network address translation” taking place, one of the NAT routers could be having troubles assigning that exact port number." He then said he would reset the NAT router I was going through and as soon as he did it started working. I don't know why, but it worked. I hope this helps others still having similar problems.
I just got a New laptop... nice one 6 GB Ram, 2.92Ghz, 525 BG HD, and Windows 7... I've tried everything to get Wow to run on this but after all the disks and transferring of Addon and update folder from my other laptop that runs wow fine I try to open the Launcher and it tells me I still need a 4.5 GB download and sits for just a few minutes and says [Lost connection to downloader] error.

I have tried adding the list of ports to my Firewall Blizzard downloader 80, 1119, 1120, 3724, 4000, 6112, 6113, 6114, 6881-6999... still won't connect. Ive added all the blizzard programs in my Wow folder the WoW-x.x.x.x-4.0.0.12911-Downloader.exe, the Blizzard Downloader.exe, the Launcher.exe, and the Launcher.patch.exe! Still it get the error, and Wow will not play or even get to the login screen! I have added WoW.exe ... everything... NOTHING works! {sigh}
I just got a New laptop... nice one 6 GB Ram, 2.92Ghz, 525 BG HD, and Windows 7... I've tried everything to get Wow to run on this but after all the disks and transferring of Addon and update folder from my other laptop that runs wow fine I try to open the Launcher and it tells me I still need a 4.5 GB download and sits for just a few minutes and says [Lost connection to downloader] error.

I have tried adding the list of ports to my Firewall Blizzard downloader 80, 1119, 1120, 3724, 4000, 6112, 6113, 6114, 6881-6999... still won't connect. Ive added all the blizzard programs in my Wow folder the WoW-x.x.x.x-4.0.0.12911-Downloader.exe, the Blizzard Downloader.exe, the Launcher.exe, and the Launcher.patch.exe! Still it get the error, and Wow will not play or even get to the login screen! I have added WoW.exe ... everything... NOTHING works! {sigh}
I connect to the internet through a proxy service that requires authentication for each time I access it. I also have a USB prepaid modem which connects to wow perfectly fine.

The thread title error message comes up when I try to use the launcher simply because it doesnt prompt be for my login details. Is there a way to tell the launcher what details to use?

I also noticed in the blue post it says to untick the proxy settings as the fix, but without the proxy settings I have no internet.

One other thing, I was on patch 3.3.5 and loaded up the launcher with my usb modem, which then downloaded updated settings and the game now claims to be at patch 4.0.3. This means that any patches I download from mirror sites will not load because the game is 'up to date', although these are the very same patches that the launcher is trying to download.

Also lastly, I could download it all fine on my usb modem, but at roughly $200 worth of credit I'd rather not (emergency only stick).
12/21/2010 5:56 PMPosted by Meganome
I connect to the internet through a proxy service that requires authentication for each time I access it. I also have a USB prepaid modem which connects to wow perfectly fine.

The thread title error message comes up when I try to use the launcher simply because it doesnt prompt be for my login details. Is there a way to tell the launcher what details to use?

I also noticed in the blue post it says to untick the proxy settings as the fix, but without the proxy settings I have no internet.

One other thing, I was on patch 3.3.5 and loaded up the launcher with my usb modem, which then downloaded updated settings and the game now claims to be at patch 4.0.3. This means that any patches I download from mirror sites will not load because the game is 'up to date', although these are the very same patches that the launcher is trying to download.

Also lastly, I could download it all fine on my usb modem, but at roughly $200 worth of credit I'd rather not (emergency only stick).
If you only have to type the password once, you can open Internet Explorer, type the password then run the launcher. But if the proxy only allow connections on port 80 it's not going to work.
It requires a password per browser, for example with IE open and authenticated, itunes will prompt for a password, the stupid adobe installer will prompt for a password etc.

It must just be some of the ports blocked as you said.
I was an angry poster on this thread about 6 pages ago. Out of nowhere the problem fixed itself and I went on with my life. Now, within the last couple of days, the problem has started again (out of nowhere of course) and as expected, no solution here works 100% of the time and whether or not I can get past the launcher is completely up to chance. Yes I've tried bypassing the launcher but now I just get error #134'd and it crashes.

With all the dump trucks full of cash backing into Blizz HQ each day you'd think issues like this would either a) not exist, or b) be squashed quickly. I feel bad for you guys that have been having this problem for months with no word on a potential fix. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I only get hosed a week out of the month.

Ironically when I was (finally) able to get to the login screen, I find that there's maintenance happening ...on a Wednesday.
Umm....i keep hearing about this WoW.exe how do i run it?
Is anyone from Blizzard still reading this?

If this many people are having issues, it's their issue - not ours. I had no problem from the moment I bought it until a few days ago. Now it's unending.

Is anyone at Blizzard working on this? Can we get an update?
Well I guess its my turn to have the problem. What NOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ok this is what worked for me.....I had to create a different user account on my pc...ie Guest. Once i did that the updater downloaded the patch and of course it took forever to apply it to the pc.