Playing Cata ASAP with a Collector's Edition

Customer Support
If there are no midnight releases nearby where I am, do I have to wait til the next morning if I want a collector's edition? Or is there some way I can buy the CE through Blizzard, activate my account, and get all the cool stuff later.
You'll have to wait.
If there are no midnight releases nearby where I am, do I have to wait til the next morning if I want a collector's edition? Or is there some way I can buy the CE through Blizzard, activate my account, and get all the cool stuff later.

I'm afraid that there is no way to obtain a Collector's Edition through Blizzard. You can only purchase one of those special copies from a local retailer. You could go ahead and purchase a standard upgrade to Cataclysm, and then upgrade that license to the Collector's Edition at a later time, but this would require that you buy two upgrades. It may not be an option for you, but I have seen some that have decided on doing that so that they can play right as the game goes live.
You have to wait if you want to use the code that comes with your collector's edition.

It may be possible to buy the expansion twice (once to activate it at midnight, and then upgrade to the CE when you get it). However, it will cost you twice, so you would have to decide if that extra money is worth the few hours you'd be able to play before you would normally get your CE.

My plan is just to wait until I get my CE and then start leveling up at that point. I'll just go to bed early, lol.