Copying patch file(s) to another Mac

Mac Technical Support
So I downloaded the latest patch this AM, and wanted to copy it to my laptop directly via an ethernet cable instead of having to download the entire thing again... it's a lot faster, especially with large patches (I think the patch today was around 500MB).

The thing is, I'm not seeing a specific patch file that can account for the 500 MB that was downloaded today. Instead it appears there are several different files in multiple locations of my World of Warcraft folder.

Is there one specific one I can copy over, or do they all need to be moved to my additional Mac?
eh not the way the new launcher works, it downloads data directly into the mpq files based on what data is missing. you can however copy the entire wow folder, then after copying it, make sure you delete wtf, caches, and data/caches as they won't match the hardware/spec of machine u copied to and you will want that machine to create new settings.

you could possibly backup wtf folder from other mac and put it back after you copy wow folder too.
Sariisa,

You also may want to make sure you run some basic system maintenance after you copy the data over like Omegal says. I have seem some weird issues occur after using Migration assistant/Time Machine when WoW is recovered/transferred like this.

Please use the steps below to repair file permission settings on the hard drive.

1. Navigate to /Applications/Utilities/ and open Disk Utility
2. Select the hard drive the game is installed on
3. Select the First Aid option
4. Click on the Repair Disk Permissions button

Repair Directory Procedure:

1. Start from your Mac OS X Install disc: Insert the installation disc, then restart the computer while holding the C key.
2. When your computer finishes starting up from the disc, choose Disk Utility from the Installer menu. (In Mac OS X 10.4 or later, you must select your language first.)
Important: Do not click Continue in the first screen of the Installer. If you do, you must restart from the disc again to access Disk Utility.
3. Click the First Aid tab.
4. Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the hard drive icon to display the names of your hard disk volumes and partitions.
5. Select your Mac OS X volume.
6. Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.
**Always start up your computer from an Install or Restore disc when using Disk Utility to verify or repair your startup volume. Otherwise, you might see some disk error messages.**

If you do not have your install disk, you can use this method:

1. Shut down the computer.
2. Power up holding Cmd (Apple) +s until you get a black screen with white type
3. At the cursor please type the following: /sbin/fsck -fy and press return
*NOTE - Please be aware that some of the procedures will look like they are frozen, but are actually taking a long time i.e. checking hierarchy
4. If anything had to be repaired, repeat step 3. Do this until it says "The Volume appears to be OK."
5. Once things are repaired type exit and press return
6. Computer will boot into Mac OS

Reset the permissions on your [World of Warcraft] folder:
1. Select the [World of Warcraft] folder
2. Press Command + I
3. In the Info box, go to the Sharing & Permissions section and click on the lock and unlock it, entering your admin password when prompted.
4. make sure you have Read & Write permissions
5. Click on the Burst icon (cog wheel) and select Apply to enclosed items

ah yeah forgot about permissions when copying folder. repair disk you would probably be overkill unless you suspect it actually has problems.
True Omegal, but I've seen some pretty bad stuff happen during stuff like this, so I always try to include it as basic troubleshooting step. It can be optional, so if you want to try it without it you can too.
Holy mackeral. That's a lot more work than it's worth to avoid the time it takes to download the patch on each computer. Kind of annoying that there isn't a single file that can be copied anymore, though.

If you could suggest to the developers that playing while downloading isn't worth it to some of us, it would be nice if there was still just one patch file that could be copied from computer to computer. (I'd put this in a suggestion forum, but there isn't one anymore.)

Thanks.
Sariisa,

I know that we do have patch mirrors for the separate patches, it is just that it takes a little more time to obtain that information, as the way patching is done has been changed in 4.0. But I would be more than happy to pass that information on regardless.
It's a mac.

It's simple.

Just copy the entire World of Warcraft folder to your laptop.

It will work. Just more the older folder of wow from your laptop to the trash but don't empty yet. Then drag the newly patched World of Warcraft folder over to your laptop. Just make sure to delete the cache and wtf folders from your newly copied World of Warcraft folder.

It copies with the same privs though, so you might want to Get Info on your new copied folder on your laptop and set read/write from all.
In other words...

Drag your patched World of Warcraft folder to your laptop, replacing the old.
It's a Mac.
pretty much, as long as you delte cache, data/cache, and wtf as those files will be caches and settings from another mac and could cause problems, and set permissions for folder cause they will probably be wrong coming from another mac/user
Holy mackeral. That's a lot more work than it's worth to avoid the time it takes to download the patch on each computer. Kind of annoying that there isn't a single file that can be copied anymore, though.

If you could suggest to the developers that playing while downloading isn't worth it to some of us, it would be nice if there was still just one patch file that could be copied from computer to computer. (I'd put this in a suggestion forum, but there isn't one anymore.)

Thanks.

Not as much work as you may think.

99% of the time, unless something is horribly corrupted, copying the entire WoW folder to the new Mac and then doing a Get Info on the root WoW folder and selecting "Eceryone: Read/Write" and clicking the gearbox icon and choosing "apply to all enclosed items" works like a charm.

And doing this also means you won't inadvertantly hit your softcap for downloads if your ISP has one enacted as many do.