Can we get an explination on new race/class?

General Discussion
Prev 1 10 11 12 18 Next
The fact is that every line of code you add has an affect on every other line of code in the game. The checks and balances of writing code on a scale such as Blizzard has undertaken is enormous. When they made new race/class combos in cata it must have taken several weeks per race/class. You don't just say poof your a gnome hunter and BAM it is done. Everything takes a bit of effort.

Each time you enter your garden at halfhill there is tons of code going into the phasing. This is why when you are standing in the market, sometimes you see someone until they reach the house b4 they phase out and other times you see them only until they get halfway to the garden itself. It is all a matter of how fast your computer is processing the code going into the area. Blizzard has to balance the code they write for your game with the amount of data each subscribers computer can handle. Last time they gathered information about your computer (back shortly b4 beta of MoP if I remember correctly) they were double checking to make sure it wasn't going to cause too much undo stress on the player base.

Now I haven't used my in depth computer knowledge in several years but still remember the basics. The computers have gone beyond my expertise as have many of the new programs (graduated in 04 with a diploma in computer op tech) But I imagine the same principles still hold true.

So b4 you start bellyaching about the lack of new class/role combos or the lack of a new class altogether (which we have had at least one new class each of the last 3 expansions with 2 classes in cataclysm) think about what the dev team is already working on. They have a lot on their plates as it is and we all should be happy with the stuff we are getting.

As far as amount of content being offered for those who want to yelp about not getting as much as say Vanilla, well the amount of content isn't going to be as much simply put because it isn't going to give you 50 levels. 10 levels with dungeons, raids, garrison, sortable bags, toy box, etc., etc. should be more than enough to justify the money you will be spending for the expansion. Give the Development team some credit here guys. They are doing a fantastic job of getting something together for an expansion, which is why you won't hear me yelping about not bring back hybrids this expansion even though I had high hopes for it.
11/11/2013 02:38 PMPosted by Bashiok
having an expansion with the same talent system as the expansion before it (*gasp*), and with more or less the same ability/class lineup will be a nice change of pace and allow both our designers and players to focus on the big new features and quality of life improvements to the game's core systems.

I for one am looking forward to relative STABILITY - something I feel the Devs have undervalued in the past. A lack of change is a welcome change.
Just saw this on mmo champion.

"The team has talked about more customization, such as sub races, for a long time. Some would require different models with different textures. A good way to give players access to the different races would also be required. Perks for the different sub races might also be interesting."
Oh great Blizzard man...For Blood elves I only have a small request...Can males have Mustaches? Something to go along with the little strips of hair we have at the moment? I'd take a small Will Turner mustache from Pirates of the Caribbean.
Oh great Blizzard man...For Blood elves I only have a small request...Can males have Mustaches? Something to go along with the little strips of hair we have at the moment? I'd take a small Will Turner mustache from Pirates of the Caribbean.

If you're going to do it, do it right

http://i.imgur.com/gcE9C0y.jpg
10/10. Great job Blizz!
The lack of either a new class or new race makes sense with all the work they're putting into the new models. Just be happy that last expansion we got a new race AND a new class.
I wish wow would get rid of the stupid cookie cutter talent trees and go back to the old trees. wotlk was the last time characters were really balanced after that blizz just screwed everything up... go back to the way it was with wotlk when it first came out and don't ever touch it again.
bad blizzard bad.. no biscuit
11/11/2013 02:38 PMPosted by Bashiok
We're making new character models for all original races (and likely draenei/blood elves as well) including redone hair/skin/appearance options and animations. We're essentially implementing 8 (10) "new" races, as far as the amount of work goes. It's been a long-time coming, it's been one of your guys' main requests for the game, one of our biggest wish-list items, and we're finally delivering on new character models. That's huge.

Likely? Likely?

I am a Blood Elf. How dare you treat me like some second class citizen.

I am unsubscribing from the game until you guarantee that Blood Elves will be the first updated model to be implemented into the game and that they will be nothing short of absolutely fabulous.

You don't want to see what happens to people that make Blood Elves ugly. You wouldn't like me when I am angry. I mean you think I am angry now, but this is pretty typical for me and I feel rather swell if I do say so myself.

For now, my people and I will let think about that and leave you to your devices.

But we will be watching you. Like a flock of bloodthirsty hawks. With daggers in our eyes.
Please restore jet black hair color to Draenei females.

Sometime around MOP launch, the jet black hair color became a hideous spinach green. I have opened several tickets with this request and make periodic trips to the barber shop hoping for the correction. I selected jet black hair for my Draenei and dislike that it was changed.

I am not a fashion follower. Wild streaks of neon colors don't appeal to me. I was glad to see that when Panda were offered with color streaks that the options for natural color remained available.

When I create a toon, I take a long time adjusting the features to be certain I'll be pleased with the final result. I even test drive the choices in Azeroth because skin tone can be different in game from how the shade displayed on the character build screen. A large part of my enjoyment of the game is the beauty of the landscapes and the beauty of my toons.

I am glad to learn the original classes are being updated with state of the art. I have faith the results will be pleasing.
11/12/2013 08:19 AMPosted by Sivad
Oh great Blizzard man...For Blood elves I only have a small request...Can males have Mustaches?
That would require testosterone... they haven't developed a way to program that in yet.
The thing I don't understand about people whining about this xpac having no new race is that updated character models are going to be used by a LOT more people than any new race ever would.

I wish wow would get rid of the stupid cookie cutter talent treesand go back to the old trees. wotlk was the last time characters were really balanced after that blizz just screwed everything up... go back to the way it was with wotlk when it first came out and don't ever touch it again.
bad blizzard bad.. no biscuit

I kinda hope this post is in jest considering how Wotlk talent trees were very cookie cutter. Plus, the balance at the beginning of Wotlk was awful too. Dk's were beyond overpowered at the time and there was still imbalance between the other classes.
IMO we have plenty of classes and races. Why add another? Just makes balancing more difficult. Things are fine the way they are now.
We're making new character models for all original races (and likely draenei/blood elves as well) including redone hair/skin/appearance options and animations. We're essentially implementing 8 (10) "new" races, as far as the amount of work goes. It's been a long-time coming, it's been one of your guys' main requests for the game, one of our biggest wish-list items, and we're finally delivering on new character models. That's huge.

As far as a new class, when we take a long-term view of World of Warcraft we don't see a game where we ended up having 50 classes. A new class is a big deal, and while it can be a lot of fun, it's also a big shakeup to people's understanding of the game ("Who is this new guy and what does he do?" /in your best Arnold voice). Even if you don't play one they'll be in your groups and so it requires that everyone essentially learn the new class. We are intentionally cautious about adding new ones. Plus we just added monk and the class landscape right now feels pretty good. There will of course be class tweaks and changes in Warlords of Draenor, but having an expansion with the same talent system as the expansion before it (*gasp*), and with more or less the same ability/class lineup will be a nice change of pace and allow both our designers and players to focus on the big new features and quality of life improvements to the game's core systems.

This makes me very happy! I look forward to frequent trips to the barber. ^.^

I also agree that the current class layout is great the way it is. I would enjoy having new races for future expansions beyond Warlords of Draenor, but new classes would be too much.
I don't think Blizz has ever held back announcements from their big reveal to announce at a later date. Further, race and class changes tend to alternate between xpacs. MoP was the first xpac with both a race and class, which then makes sense to have none this xpac.

tBC - new races, and *technically* new classes for each faction, but they were already in the game and just unlocked for each faction
WotLK - no new races, but new class (also new skins for the death knight models, with greyer skin and blue glowy eyes)
Cata - new races, no new classes, just unlocked more per race
MoP - new race (only one as opposed to two) and new class

Personally I'm excited if they can focus more on 'quality of life' changes, and the feature I'm most excited about is the Toy Box so that I can free up a ton of bagspace and actually go out and collect these things. As of right now I have to wait to collect the toys from the timeless isle because of a lack of bagspace. So I'll just keep collecting the coins and saving them until the Toy Box is implemented!
((My comments are all PvE based as I don't give a **** about PvP))
I'd just like to see some challenge come back to the world. Leveling, correctly gearing for your role, rotation, timing and placement, all things that have become childish or all together ignored by the majority of players. Talents are all Cookie Cutter or PvP, I dont want a run speed boost or a slow ability for 3 tiers of my tree maybe.. just maybe because I know where to stand and when to move during encounters because of tedious trials and fails. Told to stand here now run if your in fire is annoying, I remember when people saw fire coming and moved before it fell. Look, flame me all you want, it doesn't matter because there are millions of people just like me that don't like the dumbing down that has happened to the over all game, because it is easier to balance between pvp and pve. I for one think that if you are in the game to raid, you should not be forced to take talents that improve on your pvp ability, yes there are some other.. lackluster choices that can be taken, but who even uses half of the talent tree abilities during a raid anyhow?
11/11/2013 03:08 PMPosted by Cynfawr
There is consistent questions on why there is no new race/class revealed for the new patch. I personally just think Blizzard might be holding that back to toss out another day to get/keep people hyped while Blizz just makes the fine tuning before the real launch. If any Blizzard employee can just give us a little insight on why it might not happen at all, or why it is not reveled yet that would make a lot of people very happy and exited!

A lot of work is already going into redoing TEN other races. That's your answer.

Blizzard also said that there would be new monsters and such. Also, Draenei, Belfs and Pandas already look pretty good while humans and the rest need the upgrades much more so.

I think that's why spacegoats and belfs are last on the list.
I don't mind, I think she's a cutie no matter. ;)