PvP Live's suggestion to TotG - Will save PvP

Arenas
So a lot of people think (including myself) that even though old arena system in WoD gives conquest points to get geared. There's no actual incentive to gear up if you can just q for trial of Glad and get free gear in what matters.

I heard Eldacar propose something on the PvP Live Podcast on twitch about Trial of the Gladiator which I think could make it all worth it. Everything would make sense and it would make ToTG succeed and the pvp community stay alive.

Blizzcon has mentioned earlier that they wish to make ToTG an addition to the game and not a replacement for arena. While most of us our doubtful if they listen and I know Holinka follows PvP Live on twitter so I imagine he looks at their podcast and listens to their feedback.

HERE'S THE SUGGESTION made by Eldacar from PvP Live (team that competed @Blizzcon):

Make it so you cannot access ToTG until you hit a certain rating in arenas (he specifically pointed towards 2k rating).

Here's what it means for all players:

-Would still give new players a hope of working towards the big titles with most of the work being w/o time constraints.
-Gives us a purpose to gear through original ladder
-Gives a purpose to gain rating through the old arena system for players of any level.
-Will Make ToTG really exclusive to the high ranked players without taking anything away from lower brackets (Challenger title was a bit meaningless and under 2k you'd get challenger anyways)
-Gives a sense of goal for regular old system arena teams to make it to ToTG
-Would make ToTG EXTREMELY competitive

Here's my opinion on how to make it an even greater idea:

-Give a Title as soon as you have access to ToTG, as it would be an accomplishment well deserved for weeks of fighting through the old ladder (make it the new arena master?/ insert another cool title name here?)

-Make it possibly 2200 as elites don't consider anything less to be elite and it would be a rewarding feeling for anyone to actually achieve being able to get in ToTG.

As for the players who have schedule problems they at least get an ELITE title/elite gear from getting to access ToTG from the get go and everyone will know they got to this feat.
So a lot of people think (including myself) that even though old arena system in WoD gives conquest points to get geared. There's no actual incentive to gear up if you can just q for trial of Glad and get free gear in what matters.

I heard Eldacar propose something on the PvP Live Podcast on twitch about Trial of the Gladiator which I think could make it all worth it. Everything would make sense and it would make ToTG succeed and the pvp community stay alive.

Blizzcon has mentioned earlier that they wish to make ToTG an addition to the game and not a replacement for arena. While most of us our doubtful if they listen and I know Holinka follows PvP Live on twitter so I imagine he looks at their podcast and listens to their feedback.

HERE'S THE SUGGESTION made by Eldacar from PvP Live (team that competed @Blizzcon):

Make it so you cannot access ToTG until you hit a certain rating in arenas (he specifically pointed towards 2k rating).

-Would still give new players a hope of working towards the big titles with most of the work being w/o time constraints.
-Gives a purpose to gain rating through the old arena system for players of any level.
-Will Make ToTG really exclusive to the high ranked players without taking anything away from lower brackets (Challenger title was a bit meaningless and under 2k you'd get challenger anyways)

-Give a Title as soon as you have access to ToTG, as it would be an accomplishment well deserved for weeks of fighting through the old ladder (make it the new arena master?/ insert another cool title name here?)

-Make it possibly 2200 as elites don't consider anything less to be elite and it would be a rewarding feeling for anyone to actually achieve being able to get in ToTG.

As for the players who have schedule problems they at least get an ELITE title/elite gear from getting to access ToTG from the get go and everyone will know they got to this feat.

http://blog.aereo.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Seal-of-approval.jpg
That's actually not a bad idea.

But the main reason PvP is dead is not a lack of content, but a lack of effort put into balancing. That really needs to be #1 on the priority list, but it isn't.
That's a great idea at solves pretty much all of the problems with it except for the scheduling thing.

I understand the scheduled times as a way to stop people from exploiting the ladders, but it's just too exclusive to a ton of people with a life and several people I know how are high enough rated to compete in TotG have very limited schedules and play really late at night (when I do) usually around like 2 am - 4 am pacific time, I doubt those will be the times blizz holds the matches but unfortunately those are really the only times i can play.

I'd much rather they come up with a different solution to stop cheating than putting a time range on when you are allowed to earn rating. There has to be some better solution.
I definitely think this is a good idea but it seems like a lot of work to fix something that doesn't even need to be added in the first place and would rather see them just throw out ToTG completely. I was hoping to see something more important for pvp this expansion like making pvp gear the best for world pvp again. For those that don't want to pvp and don't like getting killed by players in the game world there are and have always been pve servers. If the issue is separating friends/guilds then the group can make a decision together between a pvp or pve server.

It's a shame that I find everything about the new expansion to be pretty solid accept for the pvp changes when I am by far mostly a pvp only player. The one exception being the new open pvp zone which sounds like it could be fun.

So rather than suggest what could save ToTG I'd like to suggest what could save WoD. Remove ToTG and never look back at it again.
11/18/2013 01:06 AMPosted by Darthmonk
big titles

I read this as something COMPLETELY DIFFERENT, and was mildly disappointed when the realization set in.
That's a great idea at solves pretty much all of the problems with it except for the scheduling thing.

I understand the scheduled times as a way to stop people from exploiting the ladders, but it's just too exclusive to a ton of people with a life and several people I know how are high enough rated to compete in TotG have very limited schedules and play really late at night (when I do) usually around like 2 am - 4 am pacific time, I doubt those will be the times blizz holds the matches but unfortunately those are really the only times i can play.

I'd much rather they come up with a different solution to stop cheating than putting a time range on when you are allowed to earn rating. There has to be some better solution.

Everything this guy said. The scheduling is the problem. I can't just block out huge portions of the week and said "no family, no work, I have to play a computer game for imaginary points during this specific time." No, games are supposed to be fun that we schedule around LIFE, not work that we schedule life around.
Still unnecessary if they actually had the common sense required to catch most cheaters in the first place.

The amount of people wintrading in arenas is piss-poor and permanently banning the people who are cheating and selling ratings would clear crap up a lot faster than this.
This is actually so sick. +1
but it still doesn't address the problem that this still makes arena just basically practice with no rewards other than gear, people do still play for fun in this game but its still nice to get that challenger title when people have never gotten it before and actually had a good season. Or four the people who want rival and can't ever get it because time constraints on this new ladder.

Good suggestions I like some of them but arena in game still needs to be its own reward system or else its not worth my time, especially when you factor in extreme class imbalance and you actually get your rating up despite having areally tough time over coming the adversity and still getting that rating. It feels good when you can show it off.
I like this.

I like this a lot.

Of course, once the devs get wind that people actually like this idea, they probably won't implement it.

Really wish they'd use this.
I like this.

I like this a lot.

Of course, once the devs get wind that people actually like this idea, they probably won't implement it.

Really wish they'd use this.

Make Challenger the Entry Title.

Then the rest stay the same?????
11/18/2013 10:56 AMPosted by Skërge
still nice to get that challenger title when people have never gotten it before and actually had a good season.

Make Challenger the Entry Title.

There you go.
I'm not just a troll.

Though I am a troll.
Also throw in rating decay for anything less than 10 games a week in that bracket.

And is win trading that bad in arenas? I know it's bad in RBGs, but who cares about those?

Also, I like these suggestions.

GREAT POST!!!!!

My suggestion will be to atleast give the 2.2k tittle/achieve. For glad range the TOTG will be perfect. Lets face it, not everyone can play at glad level, most people desire to get 2.2k.

You cannot possibly compete against players in a 4hr window that have no life and they sit and play this game 24/7. People that have jobs/family shouldn't be put in the same category.

For me, I will definitely quit this game if it remains the way it is with the changes in arena towards TOTG. It is the most dumbest idea they have ever implemented.
And is win trading that bad in arenas? I know it's bad in RBGs, but who cares about those?

Yes
Sounds really good.
Sounds cool, but unnecessary, Still punishes players that hit 2.2k but cannot schedule their life around that window blizz wants everyone to play at.

It makes Pvp too exclusive which is NOT what pvp needs right now. Its already straining to keep an active ladder and I dont think it will drive people to continue to push, it would feel like "Hey cool i hit 2.2k but i cant push anymore rating because i work during they day and play at night when TotG does not allow for me to push rating".

I think a better option would be to just make it separate all together giving TotG a different title system from the original ladder, Hell they could even give you titles for reaching high levels there (Titles at 2k, 2.2k, 2.4 and 2.7k, that only stay with you if you maintain that rating, Then add in a rating decay system to keep people from sitting rating for months) add in some vanity items/pets as your climbing that stay with you when you reach certain ratings and open the time table up so more people have access to it.

Basically it should feel like a ladder that gives immediate rewards for your efforts and will only allow you to keep said rewards if you are active and competing fairly regularly (If you have to take 2 weeks off you dont lose rating Of course, but sitting for 3+ weeks starts to decay, ontop of having a certain requirement for the amount of games played to prevent people logging in for 1 game then sitting for the rest of the week. Minimum of 10 games would be fine).

You know It could also be cool to bring back creating teams for this as well so people can see what comps players are running and make it available for cross realm. People like being able to come u with witty names and feeling like they are improving as a group. Who knows it might make people feel a little more exclusive and like they are working as a team since they can't just drop the team without losing titles if that was important to them.