There's something wrong with your game when..

General Discussion
Prev 1 14 15 16
Players are penalized with half xp when they group up. What the heck is that about...

A priest was doing the exact same quest as me, I invited her to a group and she DECLINED.

She would rather than compete for mobs than group up..

That's not uncommon either.

Something is broken!

Solution: Why not give people MORE xp when they group up and quest? Granting more for each person in your group, maxing out to something like double xp in a party of 5.

+ 9001
Let's not break the zones further. >.<

Eyes off the floating numbers and on the clock. The reward for grouping is faster leveling.
What about when they have to squish all the hard work you have put in over the years to turn your level 90 into a toon that is pretty much a level 60 now because the numbers are to big something is wrong big time maybe ghostcrawler knows it will crash so he jumped ship early

There there....don't cry too hard. Once it happens, and you're level 90 toon starts losing to level 60 mobs....THAT'S the time to cry. But if you still kill level 90's as fast, then no harm, no foul.

An alternative would be to turn off combat text. Your numbers mean nothing. Really.

No one cares if you are hitting a mob for 10k, or 1 million....as long as that hit still does the 15% of its HP like it does now, the little numbers on your screen mean nothing.

Now, get out of the fire while you tunnel that mob, while thinking you're good because you just hit it for 200k.
I don't group up when questing because I like to go at my own pace, taking breaks when I see fit. I don't want to inconvenience someone because I want a mug of hot chocolate.

That said, I will group up for certain quests when it involves killing a named NPC and there are other people waiting for it to spawn. ^_^
12/01/2013 10:27 PMPosted by Deadhorse
What about when they have to squish all the hard work you have put in over the years to turn your level 90 into a toon that is pretty much a level 60 now because the numbers are to big something is wrong big time maybe ghostcrawler knows it will crash so he jumped ship early

There there....don't cry too hard. Once it happens, and you're level 90 toon starts losing to level 60 mobs....THAT'S the time to cry. But if you still kill level 90's as fast, then no harm, no foul.

An alternative would be to turn off combat text. Your numbers mean nothing. Really.

No one cares if you are hitting a mob for 10k, or 1 million....as long as that hit still does the 15% of its HP like it does now, the little numbers on your screen mean nothing.

Now, get out of the fire while you tunnel that mob, while thinking you're good because you just hit it for 200k.

What GW2 does is when you go to a low level zone like 20-25 they delevel you to level 25 while you are there so you still need to fight the mods and you're not god mode level 90. If Blizz did this it would be a hilarious tear tea party but a classic Blizz move to make insignificant stuff take longer.
12/02/2013 02:06 AMPosted by Markan

What GW2 does is when you go to a low level zone like 20-25 they delevel you to level 25 while you are there so you still need to fight the mods and you're not god mode level 90. If Blizz did this it would be a hilarious tear tea party but a classic Blizz move to make insignificant stuff take longer.

Star Trek Online does similar stuff. When I joined a lowbie friend for some quests, we got to this one part where the objective was to defend yourself against a powerful enemy capital ship until NPC reinforcements arrive to help destroy it. You have to basically stay away from it for 2 minutes while shooting down its torpedoes and keeping your shields to maximum.

I'd brought my high-level DPS ship, and, well, despite being scaled down to my friend's level, soloed the enemy ship. Like, slaughtered it. Horribly. This was probably because even though my stats and gear had been scaled down, I was still kitted out in purples and blues, had tons of extra weapon slots on my ship, extra gear slots that come with the higher ship for more defensive and offensive boosts, extra abilities and cooldowns to buff my damage...

All of which added up to me being completely overpowered.

Similarly, a low level character who gets their stats and gear scaled up to maximum level is completely worthless, because they lack tons of abilities and weapon slots and gear slots, all of which are accounted for in the programmed difficulty of the NPCs.

Low level dungeons aren't fair when you have a group kitted out in heirlooms. Imagine a group with people in it who are equipped with the at-level equivalent of raiding gear, with the full ability, talent and glyph toolkit of a level 90.

What you, and every other person who marked this thread as highly rated fail to understand is how easy group questing makes the quests. It incentizes you to do group questing because things are easier to kill, things are easier to blow through and move on in the quest chain. You are not sitting around for minutes and minutes longer. In that regard, you are hurting yourself by solo questing. In a group you are, theoretically, doing half the work - so you get half the reward. Is that not fair?

At the end of the quest, after you have sped through it with the aid of your friend(s), you get full credit. Then you can move on at an accelerated pace to the next quest.

I don't understand why everyone is so focused on the aspect of killing mobs. Since when has killing mobs been our only quest? Plus, you're talking about a situation where there are as many mobs to go around, which is NOT the case. You're also assuming equal skill, etc.

Ive recently grinded a warrior through questing, and leveled with a friend. Sure, the killing quests went dandy as hell, but we lost A LOT of time waiting for gathering quest nodes to respawn.

Since so many of you are fond of math, please try a collection quest (lets say the Nelf pinecone revenge quest in the starter zone, or the Kun Lai Summit vegetable collection quest) with a friend. It evens out in the long run.

And you know what's funny? That gathering quest bull has been fixed in the latest expansion, the quest items that drop are now shared. Perhaps if you ask Blizzard nicely enough they'll go out of their way to apply it to Cata, BC and Wrath zones so you wont have to cry. It'll be slightly immersion-breaking, sure. What with humans dropping 40 teeth, 4 eye balls, two hearts. A one-eyed Ogre dropping two eyes, or is mysteriously carrying two Commander Insignias or something. Or, heck, that insect over there is supposed to have four wings but drops six, or eight.

I don't understand why everyone is so focused on the aspect of killing mobs. Since when has killing mobs been our only quest? Plus, you're talking about a situation where there are as many mobs to go around, which is NOT the case. You're also assuming equal skill, etc.

Ive recently grinded a warrior through questing, and leveled with a friend. Sure, the killing quests went dandy as hell, but we lost A LOT of time waiting for gathering quest nodes to respawn.

Since so many of you are fond of math, please try a collection quest (lets say the Nelf pinecone revenge quest in the starter zone, or the Kun Lai Summit vegetable collection quest) with a friend. It evens out in the long run.

And you know what's funny? That gathering quest bull has been fixed in the latest expansion, the quest items that drop are now shared. Perhaps if you ask Blizzard nicely enough they'll go out of their way to apply it to Cata, BC and Wrath zones so you wont have to cry. It'll be slightly immersion-breaking, sure. What with humans dropping 40 teeth, 4 eye balls, two hearts. A one-eyed Ogre dropping two eyes, or is mysteriously carrying two Commander Insignias or something. Or, heck, that insect over there is supposed to have four wings but drops six, or eight.

Though I agree with you Breth, I can't help but feel bad for all the Zhevra with no hooves. I would spend a long time just looking for some!
Group-questing works just fine in Panda-land. It can be problematic in the older zones if you are on item-collection quests, but you can just avoid those anyway if you're in a group to keep it running smoothly.

The real advantage is time-savings on level appropriate quests. You can plow through orange or red quests very fast (with less time healing or kiting) if it's simple kill-x or kill-x#-of-y.

The things that may be less efficient are non-combat quests (talk to A) or collection quests (depends if loot is duplicated).

Leveling and economy would get pretty seriously out of whack if they started giving double XP and double gold to groups rather than just splitting it down the middle. The incentive is time-savings.
The entire concept of "grouping up allows you to kill things faster, which means you level up quicker" is fundamentally flawed. You can already solo group content from 1-90 at the level it was designed to be group content for, even without heirlooms.

Why group up when you're already able to kill the hardest quest content available so quickly you have to wait on respawn timers? There's literally no incentive whatsoever to questing with friends. The "real" group effort comes from coordinating with friends so you're not killing the same mobs at the same time while questing, which is just ridiculous.

The only time the mob spawn rate can actually match a group of players kill rate is in queued dungeons. If you want less players to spam dungeons or quest solo to level, give us a reason to do so.

Edit: The funny thing is I'm pretty sure one of the major reasons they do this is because they don't like powerlevelling. All you have to do to get around it, ironically, is to not be in a party.
Star Wars the Old Republic gives you more XP the more people you group with. It encourages people to group up in an MMO. Which... makes logical sense to me. And Rift has designed a Mentor system which is a fantastic way to group up with lower level characters so people can help out new friends, alts, etc. And I'm pretty sure you don't get screwed out of XP while in a group there like you do in this game. They also allow quest completion in a raid group. It hasn't messed up their leveling system... but instead made it more fun.

I agree with the OP wholeheartedly.
A priest was doing the exact same quest as me, I invited her to a group and she DECLINED.

I'm sure someone else already mentioned this, but... You *do* realize that she may have declined for any of a multitude of reasons that don't involve XP.

I routinely decline group invites, even on my healers, when I'm already in a queue for the LFD/LFR, because accepting a group invite removes me from queue. Also, blind invites *ALWAYS* get declined, because they're just plain rude.

But then, that's just me.
When I first started, when in a group a low level could go in to a dungeon or instance with a big level character and not do anything and still get the same amount of experience, that to me was a lazy way for one to level up. I like the way it is now.
I first started about 2 months after the very first WoW came out btw
Players are penalized with half xp when they group up. What the heck is that about...

That's not uncommon either.

Something is broken!

Solution: Why not give people MORE xp when they group up and quest? Granting more for each person in your group, maxing out to something like double xp in a party of 5.

I think this might be a common misconception. I believe you do not see reductions in EXP until you have more than 3 in your group or someone who is a significantly higher level then you.